d33wreck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I passed the nasm exam any advice on what to do next?

Hey guys I'm 20 years old and I just passed the Nasm exam. I was wondering what it the next step? I would like to work at a gym but I do not have any legit personal training experience. All I have is that I love working out and I go to the gym a lot.

I was wondering how to make a good resume without having experience in the field.

Where are the best gyms to work at?

Will I or should I ask to shadow someone at a gym to see how the personal trainers work?

Since I just passed am I allowed to use only the Psi report that shows that I pass or do I have to wait until I get the temporary certification or official mailed certification?

Does Nasm help you out with these type of situations or am I on my own?

I'm looking up these informations but its always nice to ask people on this forum. Thanks!

ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Keep learning. Stay in school.
    NASM-CPT

d33wreck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ChessGuy View Post
    Keep learning. Stay in school.
    Not much of a help lol but thanks.

MicRo2413 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MicRo2413 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MicRo2413 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MicRo2413 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MicRo2413 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MicRo2413 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MicRo2413 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MicRo2413 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MicRo2413 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MicRo2413 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MicRo2413 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    While applying at gyms I also trained privately, my aunt and a couple of her friends. I was able to get before and after photos and build a small portfolio that I then used towards applying. Not sure if this will help.

I'm sure friends and family will be happy to let you train them for free or at a discount.

joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    As a PT Director, when I interview I look for several things:

Attitude
    Credentials
    Experience
    Sales Ability

It really helps if you already have a few people you have been training that you could bring with you to the gym right away. If not, then I need to know that you are willing to put in the effort to build YOUR business from scratch. I'm realistic with people. I tell them that you CANNOT rely on the membership department to give you referrals, you must be able to generate business yourself. This involves talking to people on the floor (be a people person), making cold calls (these suck to do but can pay off in the long run) and find creative ways to market yourself both in and out of the gym.

As long as you have a nationally recognized cert you can get a decent training job even with little experience, but it all comes down to attitude and work ethic in the interview. Hope this helps!
    Joe King MS, NASM CPT, PES, CES, SNS
    Exercise Physiologist, Personal Training Director
    joeking.trainerize.com

triutcorn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Go to Disney Land!

testi1969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) testi1969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) testi1969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) testi1969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) testi1969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) testi1969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) testi1969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) testi1969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) testi1969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) testi1969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) testi1969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by d33wreck View Post
    Hey guys I'm 20 years old and I just passed the Nasm exam. I was wondering what it the next step? I would like to work at a gym but I do not have any legit personal training experience. All I have is that I love working out and I go to the gym a lot.

I was wondering how to make a good resume without having experience in the field.

Where are the best gyms to work at?

Will I or should I ask to shadow someone at a gym to see how the personal trainers work?

Since I just passed am I allowed to use only the Psi report that shows that I pass or do I have to wait until I get the temporary certification or official mailed certification?

Does Nasm help you out with these type of situations or am I on my own?

I'm looking up these informations but its always nice to ask people on this forum. Thanks!
    find a gym where you are the boss do a 1099 form independent gyms are the best or in home training you will make the most money there. get insurance before anything. always do a fitness assessment and have client fill out medical history waviers ect...

WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by testi1969 View Post
    find a gym where you are the boss do a 1099 form independent gyms are the best or in home training you will make the most money there. get insurance before anything. always do a fitness assessment and have client fill out medical history waviers ect...
    Yes, because any 20 year old brand new trainer should start their own business right away. People will flock to them.

To the OP, find a chain gym that will give you a shot - get some experience working with regular people and go from there.

carllombard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    From what I've seen most gyms really need good trainers with the right attitude. I think the best skill you can focus on is sales skills. Most gyms will pay mostly commission so the better you are are selling yourself as a trainer the better.

I like the suggestion about training from friends or relatives to build some valid experience. Even if you are training them for free.

Once you have some level of experience a gym will love to have you there, then you can push in any direction you see your career going.

Jessica0115 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just got my certification and I’ve been looking at some of the resources on this website… They’ve been pretty helpful for me. Especially with picking the gym I wanted to work at and how to start building my clients.

There’s a lot of good information on the site. It’s www(.)TheSixFigureTrainer(.)com