View Poll Results: How many books have you read for last year's challenge?

Voters
340. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 - 10

192 56.47%
  • 10 - 20

63 18.53%
  • 20 - 30

29 8.53%
  • 30 - 40

12 3.53%
  • 40 - 51

11 3.24%
  • 52+ I made it brah. (No gender-specific cheesy line this time lol)

33 9.71%
Closed Thread
Page 163 of 173 FirstFirst ... 63 113 153 161 162 163 164 165 ... LastLast
Results 4,861 to 4,890 of 5179
    jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Kindle's are on sale (Black Friday deals on Amazon), for anybody sitting on the fence about getting one.

Happy Thanksgiving American folks.

DerisiveLogic will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerisiveLogic will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerisiveLogic will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerisiveLogic will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerisiveLogic will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerisiveLogic will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerisiveLogic will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerisiveLogic will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerisiveLogic will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerisiveLogic will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerisiveLogic will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Any other bros want to join our skype reading/motivation group? PM me and I'll add you.

CRyan64 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CRyan64 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CRyan64 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CRyan64 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CRyan64 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CRyan64 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CRyan64 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CRyan64 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CRyan64 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CRyan64 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CRyan64 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    1. Metalogic (Hunter) 9/10.
    2. Intro To Mathematical Logic (Hodel) 9/10.
    3. Profile of Mathematical Logic 9/10.
    4. Philosophy of Set Theory. (Tiles) 5/10.
    5. On the philosophy of logic. (Fisher) 6/10.
    6. From a logical point of view. (Quine). 8/10.
    7. First order logic (Smullyan). 8/10.
    8. Analytic Philosophy, an anthology. (Martinich, Sosa). 8/10.
    9. Philosophical Logic (Greyling). 8/10.
    10. Foundations of analysis. (Landau) 9/10.
    11. A Tour Through Mathematical Logic. (Wolf) 9/10.
    12. Philosophy and the New Physics (Rougier). 9/10
    13. Reality and the Physicist: Knowledge, Duration and the Quantum World (Espagnat) 8/10.
    14. Science's Blind Spot: The Unseen Religion of Scientific Naturalism 6/10.
    15. Fear of Knowledge: Against Relativism and Constructivism (Boghossian ) 7/10.
    16.Language in Thought and Action (Hayakawa) 8/10.
    17.Understanding Symbolic Logic (Klenk) 8/10.
    18.The Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy (Audi). 9/10.
    19. The Science Delusion (Sheldrake) 8/10.
    20. Philosophy of Language (Soames). 9/10.

A seriously dense book, but very good as well. I would probably recommend a different book as an introduction though. It's just...holy dense and technical batman. I definitely want to investigate this field more, as well as formal syntax and semantics.

So yesterday I was in a thrift store and I stumbled across this book called How to stay Christian in college. I read the chapter "What the world thinks of itself" which discusses naturalism and post-modernism.

I barfed a little. It's like he was giving Christians a recipe to help guard themselves against argumentation from the opposition, rather than learning how to reason for themselves, how to engage with the opposition and have a rational inquiry. And in the process, he made a fool of himself. Here he has one quote from ONE naturalist who says something along the lines of "we don't accept non-natural explanation because it's against science." While I find that rather retarded, there's no way in hell this represents all naturalists. And yet, he concludes with this piece of retardation: Naturalists hold their position because they have an agenda - to be faithful to science (or some sh!t like that.) Notsherifsrs. Then he talks about post-modernism. He says that post-modernist face the problem of meaninglessness. LOLWUT? Pls, show me that this meaning-property exists.

And I guess I should say that I have nothing against Christians; but rather, just this dude, lol. I'm sure something like Blackwell's Companion to Natural Theology is eons better than this.
    Frederic Malle Portrait of a Lady 10ml decants available.

BostonRockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BostonRockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BostonRockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BostonRockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BostonRockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BostonRockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BostonRockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BostonRockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BostonRockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BostonRockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BostonRockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Finished maybe my last 2 books for the year which puts me at an astonishing 12/13 lol. Going to give my mind a break for winter break. Then I will go hard for 2015 aiming for 1 book a week. Can't do 52 challenge though I'm on vacation all summer.

Pour Your Heart Into It: How Starbucks built a company one cup at a time - Howard Schultz. First third was interesting to see how Starbucks came to be and how Howard Schultz got involved and his early life. I didn't even know he didn't actually start Starbucks. Pretty interesting how he left a very high paying job and comfortable living in New York with his wife to go join some rinky dink coffee shop across the country. The rest was kind of boring. A few nice lessons here and there but overall it felt like a chore to read. I also felt a little skeptical reading some of it. Like a lot of the good lessons made sense, but felt like advertising or even propaganda for Starbucks. Had trouble getting myself to truly believe anything because I had to remember who was writing it.

Managing Oneself - Peter F. Drucker - super short read you can finish it in less than an hour probably. Pretty straight to the point which I like. I can see myself re-reading this quite a few times.

edit: here are my books in the cart for 2015:

Social: Why Our Brains Are Wired to Connect - Matthew D. Lieberman
    Quiet: The Power Of Introverts In A World That Can't Stop Talking - Susan Cain
    A Philosophy of Walking - Frederic Gros
    Vagabonding - Rolf Potts
    Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Robert Pirsig
    The One Thing - Gary Keller
    On the Meaning of Life - Will Durant
    The Lessons of History - Will Durant
    As Man Thinketh - James Allen
    How to Be Free - Tom Hodgkinson
    Last edited by BostonRockets; 11-27-2014 at 04:34 PM.
    Death is impossible for us to fathom: it is so immense, so frightening, that we will do almost anything to avoid thinking about it. Society is organized to make death invisible, to keep it several steps removed. That distance may seem necessary for our comfort, but it comes with a terrible price: the illusion of limitless time, and a consequent lack of seriousness about daily life. We are running away from the one reality that faces us all.

Future24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Future24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Future24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Future24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Future24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Future24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Future24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Future24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Future24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Future24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Future24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by jreacher View Post
    Kindle's are on sale (Black Friday deals on Amazon), for anybody sitting on the fence about getting one.

Happy Thanksgiving American folks.
    Thinking about getting one. Any feedback on these? Prefer a kindle or the physical book? Whats the difference between a Kindle and KindlePaperwhite
    Last year I spent more money on spilled liquor in bars than 99% of miscers make in a year.

it's a bench not a chair JackMigger's Avatar
    JackMigger is a name known to all. (+5000) JackMigger is a name known to all. (+5000) JackMigger is a name known to all. (+5000) JackMigger is a name known to all. (+5000) JackMigger is a name known to all. (+5000) JackMigger is a name known to all. (+5000) JackMigger is a name known to all. (+5000) JackMigger is a name known to all. (+5000) JackMigger is a name known to all. (+5000) JackMigger is a name known to all. (+5000) JackMigger is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Future24 View Post
    Thinking about getting one. Any feedback on these? Prefer a kindle or the physical book? Whats the difference between a Kindle and KindlePaperwhite
    I first got a kindle, then upgraded to a paperwhite. It is definitely well worth it. Loads of pros: Easy to hold, even if you read a book like War and Peace, loads of free and very cheap books available, bring your library with you on a trip, etc. I would not have finished this challenge without one. I also think the paperwhite is somewhat better, cause the adjustable light is the bomb if you read in bed with someone sleeping next to you, at a dark busstop etc. Other people I know also did not regret buying ebook readers. If you can get it for a good price right now, don't hesitate I say.
    Das id mane - Sigmund Freud

sig is anagram for "dad is mean" which further indicates psychosexual conflict and a desire to replace the father as the maternal object of desire /mindblown - golvmopp

arkskier is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) arkskier is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) arkskier is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) arkskier is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) arkskier is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) arkskier is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) arkskier is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) arkskier is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) arkskier is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) arkskier is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) arkskier is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by CRyan64 View Post
    1. Metalogic (Hunter) 9/10.
    2. Intro To Mathematical Logic (Hodel) 9/10.
    3. Profile of Mathematical Logic 9/10.
    4. Philosophy of Set Theory. (Tiles) 5/10.
    5. On the philosophy of logic. (Fisher) 6/10.
    6. From a logical point of view. (Quine). 8/10.
    7. First order logic (Smullyan). 8/10.
    8. Analytic Philosophy, an anthology. (Martinich, Sosa). 8/10.
    9. Philosophical Logic (Greyling). 8/10.
    10. Foundations of analysis. (Landau) 9/10.
    11. A Tour Through Mathematical Logic. (Wolf) 9/10.
    12. Philosophy and the New Physics (Rougier). 9/10
    13. Reality and the Physicist: Knowledge, Duration and the Quantum World (Espagnat) 8/10.
    14. Science's Blind Spot: The Unseen Religion of Scientific Naturalism 6/10.
    15. Fear of Knowledge: Against Relativism and Constructivism (Boghossian ) 7/10.
    16.Language in Thought and Action (Hayakawa) 8/10.
    17.Understanding Symbolic Logic (Klenk) 8/10.
    18.The Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy (Audi). 9/10.

Ayy lmao. Managed to pick this up for a couple bucks at a garage sale. I've spent that last month or so reading a whole ch!t ton of passages from it. I would say that it's more so a dictionary+encyclopedia. Which was cool because it introduced me to things that I've never heard of before; topics that I probably never would have stumbled across!
    I tip my hat to you, superior gentleman.
    52 books in 52 weeks crew
    yellow fever crew
    150 IQ crew
    I always rape back crew

SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    May have to bail out of this with only a handful of books to go. Kindle died unexpectedly a couple weeks back. Amazon replacing it with a Voyager for free, but I have to wait until they go on sale to get mine overnight. Tried reading on the computer but it isn't comfortable. Sucks.

it's a bench not a chair JackMigger's Avatar
    JackMigger is a name known to all. (+5000) JackMigger is a name known to all. (+5000) JackMigger is a name known to all. (+5000) JackMigger is a name known to all. (+5000) JackMigger is a name known to all. (+5000) JackMigger is a name known to all. (+5000) JackMigger is a name known to all. (+5000) JackMigger is a name known to all. (+5000) JackMigger is a name known to all. (+5000) JackMigger is a name known to all. (+5000) JackMigger is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by SOJA View Post
    May have to bail out of this with only a handful of books to go. Kindle died unexpectedly a couple weeks back. Amazon replacing it with a Voyager for free, but I have to wait until they go on sale to get mine overnight. Tried reading on the computer but it isn't comfortable. Sucks.
    just put the challenge on hold for a while, your challenge, your rules.
    Das id mane - Sigmund Freud

sig is anagram for "dad is mean" which further indicates psychosexual conflict and a desire to replace the father as the maternal object of desire /mindblown - golvmopp

TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I had a Kindle Fire at first and used it all the time. Then I got a Paperwhite and I've barely touched the Fire since.

Sometimes I'll still like to read a physical book, but for the most part I like the Paperwhite better.

jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I like my Paperwhite about the same as regular books, as far as text quality goes.

Paperwhite is more convenient: Completing this challenge has been easier this year since last year I was constantly juggling book requests at the library. I still try not to buy books, so I use Kindle Unlimited to minimize how much I actually spend on my reading addiction.

I can read one-handed easier (I do some hamstring stretches with my leg on the wall while reading on my back), I can read easier in windy environments (always sleep with a fan on), etc.

If you buy one, I'd highly recommend the Paperwhite just for the reading light built into it. Or maybe the Voyage, but I haven't tried that yet. If you never read in bed or in the dark, I'm sure a regular Kindle would be fine.

Originally Posted by SOJA View Post
    Awesome you're going to get a Voyage. How did your Kindle "die"? Just won't reboot? Or stopped charging?

Jayczzz is just really nice. (+1000) Jayczzz is just really nice. (+1000) Jayczzz is just really nice. (+1000) Jayczzz is just really nice. (+1000) Jayczzz is just really nice. (+1000) Jayczzz is just really nice. (+1000) Jayczzz is just really nice. (+1000) Jayczzz is just really nice. (+1000) Jayczzz is just really nice. (+1000) Jayczzz is just really nice. (+1000) Jayczzz is just really nice. (+1000)
    After 3 days straight partying I'm back to the real world and reading.
    It has been harder than I thought. I feel tired, my mind has been all foggy and I really have to force myself not to watch TV all day.
    I've been feeling legit tired these past few days, not even coffee works to wake me up. I guess it's probably jet lag plus all the alchohol I consumed. I force myself to stay awake, but I feel like I'm capable of spending all day in bed.

I'm still gonna power through it. If I can beat it, I will be able to do the same thing in the future.
    +++ 52 books in 52 weeks 2016 crew (28/52) +++
    +++ 52 books in 52 weeks 2015 crew (45/52) +++
    +++ 52 books in 52 weeks 2014 crew (63/52) +++

PokLim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PokLim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PokLim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PokLim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PokLim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PokLim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PokLim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PokLim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PokLim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PokLim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PokLim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Jayczzz View Post
    After 3 days straight partying I'm back to the real world and reading.
    It has been harder than I thought. I feel tired, my mind has been all foggy and I really have to force myself not to watch TV all day.
    I've been feeling legit tired these past few days, not even coffee works to wake me up. I guess it's probably jet lag plus all the alchohol I consumed. I force myself to stay awake, but I feel like I'm capable of spending all day in bed.

I'm still gonna power through it. If I can beat it, I will be able to do the same thing in the future.
    Better be lifting

SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Awesome you're going to get a Voyage. How did your Kindle "die"? Just won't reboot? Or stopped charging?
    I noticed the charge wouldn't hold as long as it used to, then the screen started dimming and then the damn thing died. It was totally bizarre since it was only a year old and they last forever. Awesome Amazon support for you.

Originally Posted by sl_17b View Post
    Post a review when you finish this please. Looks like something I may like.
    I don't think I ever replied to this after finishing Gabriel's Watch by Noah Fregger.

I gave the book 3 out of 5 stars. It had a strong first half and then the author decided to mess up the pacing a little in the second half. The book felt a little too seat-of-the-pants. The writing was decent, I just think it could have been plotted a lot better.

There's a somewhat weak romantic part in the book that I think should have been developed better, and earlier in the story.

It's worth a read, but nothing spectacular. The author has potential, though. Probably better than a lot of new dystopian and post-apocalyptic stuff out there.

tikeshe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tikeshe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tikeshe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tikeshe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tikeshe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tikeshe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tikeshe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tikeshe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tikeshe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tikeshe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tikeshe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Dumas is a master. Could read him and no one else.

Finished Oedipus. Was cool.

To the married/relationship miscers: does your partner read a lot? This is a huge factor for me right now. Even if they do English literature at uni, they still don't seem to read outside their course.
    [52 books in 52 weeks Crew]

"Let your life lightly dance on the edges of Time like dew on the tip of a leaf." - Rabindranath Tagore

We enjoy and even thrill to godlike possibilities we see in ourselves in such peak moments. And yet we simultaneously shiver with weakness, awe, and fear before these very same possibilities.
    ― Abraham Maslow

☮INFJ♞6w5(so/sp) IEI-INFp lnvictus's Avatar
    lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    For those looking for cheap ereader-

Amazon Canada is selling one for $40

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B003ES5BKY/r...d_p=1962202942

Not affiliated link.
    Kal-El, son of Jor-El

Bonitatem, Disciplinam, Scientiam

Originally Posted by tikeshe View Post

To the married/relationship miscers: does your partner read a lot?
    Not really. She did read the Wayward Pines trilogy in like 2 days, though. She tends to plow through books when she does read.

tikeshe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tikeshe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tikeshe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tikeshe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tikeshe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tikeshe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tikeshe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tikeshe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tikeshe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tikeshe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tikeshe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Not really. She did read the Wayward Pines trilogy in like 2 days, though. She tends to plow through books when she does read.
    Were you into books when you met her? I assume you don't mind that she doesn't read as much as you?

"Let your life lightly dance on the edges of Time like dew on the tip of a leaf." - Rabindranath Tagore

We enjoy and even thrill to godlike possibilities we see in ourselves in such peak moments. And yet we simultaneously shiver with weakness, awe, and fear before these very same possibilities.
    ― Abraham Maslow

TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    To the married/relationship miscers: does your partner read a lot? This is a huge factor for me right now. Even if they do English literature at uni, they still don't seem to read outside their course.
    She tries, but not really. Nowhere near as much as I do.

I'll recommend her books and she'll read a chapter or two and say she really likes it and can't wait to find out what happens, then she'll just stop reading them. Annoying as **** and I've since stopped recommending things to her.

☮INFJ♞6w5(so/sp) IEI-INFp lnvictus's Avatar
    lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by confuoco View Post
    I'm so glad I don't have to date women, lol. Srs.
    As long as they don't read 50 shades, twilight saga, chick lits as primary reading material, I think they'd be tolerable.
    Kal-El, son of Jor-El

Bonitatem, Disciplinam, Scientiam

Were you into books when you met her? I assume you don't mind that she doesn't read as much as you?
    I read a lot back then but not as much as I do now. I was fatigued with the reading I had to do in undergrad/grad school and didn't prioritize reading for myself like I do now. When I did read it was different from what I typically read now - it was mostly non-fiction (philosophy mostly), classic fiction, and I pretty much read the Bible all the time, too.

Short answer: I do mind a little bit, but there's not much I can do about it now.

Tenth edit: That first paragraph I'm alluding to the fact that people change. Just because somebody reads now doesn't mean they won't stop, or their tastes won't change. If they don't read now, they might pick it up as a habit/hobby in the future.
    Last edited by jreacher; 11-29-2014 at 12:45 PM.

Thanks for replies.

Especially on people changing. Guess I have to decide how important it is to me that they do read.

Also, I dont give women free passes. Maybe why I'm single ha. High standards crew.

To confuoxo: I agree. Brb polymath ambitions crew.

― Abraham Maslow

Jayczzz is just really nice. (+1000) Jayczzz is just really nice. (+1000) Jayczzz is just really nice. (+1000) Jayczzz is just really nice. (+1000) Jayczzz is just really nice. (+1000) Jayczzz is just really nice. (+1000) Jayczzz is just really nice. (+1000) Jayczzz is just really nice. (+1000) Jayczzz is just really nice. (+1000) Jayczzz is just really nice. (+1000) Jayczzz is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by PokLim View Post
    Better be lifting
    Lmao not really, just some calisthenics and breakdancing. Gonna go back to the gym next monday.
    +++ 52 books in 52 weeks 2016 crew (28/52) +++
    +++ 52 books in 52 weeks 2015 crew (45/52) +++
    +++ 52 books in 52 weeks 2014 crew (63/52) +++

Ascendent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ascendent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ascendent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ascendent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ascendent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ascendent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ascendent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ascendent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ascendent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ascendent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ascendent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks for replies.

Especially on people changing. Guess I have to decide how important it is to me that they do read.

Also, I dont give women free passes. Maybe why I'm single ha. High standards crew.

To confuoxo: I agree. Brb polymath ambitions crew.
    Member #2 checking in. Can't be around girls that don't read.
    NPC Physique/Classic Physique

United States Marine Corps [Sep. '01 - Mar. '13]

I am the master of my fate, the captain of my soul.

Instagram: charles_uncaged

I think I found a new-to-me author that I'm going to enjoy. The guy's name is Joe Hart. I already read one of his books, but this one I'm reading now, The River is Dark, is a real page turner. I only slept about 2 hours last night because I couldn't put the book down.

It seems that he specializes in moody horror. Mostly non-visceral, but fairly creepy.

He also gets bonus points from me for using the word normality instead of normalcy. SRS, can't stand the word normalcy.
    Last edited by jreacher; 12-01-2014 at 06:34 AM.

confuoco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) confuoco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) confuoco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) confuoco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) confuoco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) confuoco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) confuoco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) confuoco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) confuoco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) confuoco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) confuoco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    1. No Shortcuts to the Top - Viesturs 3/5
    2. Empire of Illusion: The End of Literacy & the Triumph of Spectacle - Hedges 3/5
    3. The Crowd is Untruth - Kierkegaard 4/5
    4. Coming Apart: The State of White America - Murray 4/5
    5. On Managing Yourself - Harvard Business Review 4/5
    6. Buried in the Sky: The Story of the Sherpa Climbers on K2's Deadliest Day -3/5
    7. Programming with Python Cookbook -Pimpler 3/5
    8. 10 German Short Stories - 3/5
    9. Unwarranted Influence: DDE & the MIC - Ledbetter 2/5
    10. Thinking in Systems - Meadows 5/5
    11. No Place to Hide: Snowden, the NSA & the US Surveillance State - Greenwald 4/5
    12. We Meant Well: How I helped lose the battle for the hearts & minds of the Iraqi People - Van Buuren 5/5
    13. Rapid Prototyping with JS - Mardanov 4/5
    14. Black Hearts: One platoon's descent into madness in Iraq's triangle of death - Frederick 4/5
    15. Defining Inerrancy - Holding & Peters 3/5
    16. Carbon Zero: Imagining Cities that can Save the Planet - Steffen 3/5
    17. The Death of Ivan Ilych - Tolstoy 5/5
    18. Exegetical Fallacies - Carson 4/5
    19. Reformed Theology - Sproul 4/5
    20. Signals & Boundaries: Building Blocks for Complex Adaptive Systems - Holland 4/5
    21. The Killing Zone: How & Why Pilots Die - Craig 5/5
    22. Freedom of the Will - Edwards 5/5
    23. Bondage of the Will - Luther 4/5
    24. Lectures on Ergodic Theory - Halmos 4/5
    25. The Thinking Pilot's Flight Manual - Durden, Emberson, Wagstaff 4/5
    26. The Roman Catholic Controversy - White 5/5
    27. John Knox & the Reformation - Murray 3/5
    28. Encountering the Manuscripts - Comfort 5/5
    29. The Art of Modeling Dynamic Systems: Forecasting for Chaos, Randomness & Determinism - Morrison 5/5
    30. On the Incarnation - Athanasius 4/5
    31. The Problem of Pain - CS Lewis 4/5
    32. My Inventions - Nikola Tesla 4/5
    33. Debating Calvinism - White & Hunt 2/5
    34. What Is the Trinity - Sproul 4/5
    35. Ten Myths About Calvinism - Stewart 4/5
    36. Slavery, Inc. - Cacho 3.5/5
    37. Mind & Cosmos - Thomas Nagel 3.5/5
    38. Goodbye, Good Men - Rose 4/5
    39. Omicidio alla Moda - Medaglia 3/5
    40. The Heresy of Orthodoxy - Kstenberger 4/5
    41. A Problem from Hell: America in the Age of Genocide - Power 3.5/5
    42. Sync: How Order Emerges from Chaos - Strogatz 4/5
    43. The Mystery of the Lord's Supper - Watson 3.5/5
    44. The Mortification of Sin - Owen 5/5
    45. Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes - Ryan 5/5
    46. The Death of Money: The Coming Collapse of the Int'l Monetary System - Rickards 4/5
    47. Does God Desire All to be Saved? - Piper 3.5/5
    48. Complex Analysis - Silverman 3.5/5
    49. By All Means Necessary: How China's Resource Quest is Changing the World - Economy & Levi 3/5
    50. Terror Inc.: Tracing the Dollars Behind the Terror Networks - Napoleoni 3/5
    51. Scripture Alone - White 4/5
    52. Aquinas - Feser 4/5
    53. The Symposium - Plato 4/5
    54. Orthodoxy - GK Chesterton 3/5
    55. Commentary on Galatians - Chrysostom 4/5
    56. The Ecumenical Councils of the Catholic Church - Kelly 4/5
    57. Anna Karenina - Tolstoy 5/5
    58. The Cult of the Saints - Brown 3.5/5
    59. The Only Wise God: The Compatibility of Divine Foreknowledge & Human Freedom - WLC 3.5/5
    60. The Nature, Dignity & Mission of a Woman - Fr. Karl Stehlin 3.5/5
    61. The Israel Lobby & US Foreign Policy - Mearsheimer & Walt 5/5
    62. Genesis Machines: The New Science of Biocomputing - Amos 4/5
    63. DNA Computing & Molecular Programming - Stefanovic et al. 3/5
    64. Jonathan Edwards: His Doctrine of & Devotion to Prayer - Najapfour 3.5/5
    65. Thoughts on Family Worship - J.W. Alexander 3.5/5
    66. Perspective Made Easy - Norling 3.5/5
    67. The Student Pilot's Flight Manual - Kershner 4/5
    68. A Reformation Debate - Ed. Olin 5/5

Finished:
    69. Mary for Evangelicals - Perry 4/5

70. Quantum: Einstein, Bohr & the Great Debate about the Nature of Reality - Kumar 4/5

I'm calling it here. Going to condense & build some momentum for next year. The list is being assembled, can't wait.

CRyan64 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CRyan64 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CRyan64 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CRyan64 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CRyan64 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CRyan64 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CRyan64 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CRyan64 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CRyan64 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CRyan64 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CRyan64 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    1. No Shortcuts to the Top - Viesturs 3/5
    2. Empire of Illusion: The End of Literacy & the Triumph of Spectacle - Hedges 3/5
    3. The Crowd is Untruth - Kierkegaard 4/5
    4. Coming Apart: The State of White America - Murray 4/5
    5. On Managing Yourself - Harvard Business Review 4/5
    6. Buried in the Sky: The Story of the Sherpa Climbers on K2's Deadliest Day -3/5
    7. Programming with Python Cookbook -Pimpler 3/5
    8. 10 German Short Stories - 3/5
    9. Unwarranted Influence: DDE & the MIC - Ledbetter 2/5
    10. Thinking in Systems - Meadows 5/5
    11. No Place to Hide: Snowden, the NSA & the US Surveillance State - Greenwald 4/5
    12. We Meant Well: How I helped lose the battle for the hearts & minds of the Iraqi People - Van Buuren 5/5
    13. Rapid Prototyping with JS - Mardanov 4/5
    14. Black Hearts: One platoon's descent into madness in Iraq's triangle of death - Frederick 4/5
    15. Defining Inerrancy - Holding & Peters 3/5
    16. Carbon Zero: Imagining Cities that can Save the Planet - Steffen 3/5
    17. The Death of Ivan Ilych - Tolstoy 5/5
    18. Exegetical Fallacies - Carson 4/5
    19. Reformed Theology - Sproul 4/5
    20. Signals & Boundaries: Building Blocks for Complex Adaptive Systems - Holland 4/5
    21. The Killing Zone: How & Why Pilots Die - Craig 5/5
    22. Freedom of the Will - Edwards 5/5
    23. Bondage of the Will - Luther 4/5
    24. Lectures on Ergodic Theory - Halmos 4/5
    25. The Thinking Pilot's Flight Manual - Durden, Emberson, Wagstaff 4/5
    26. The Roman Catholic Controversy - White 5/5
    27. John Knox & the Reformation - Murray 3/5
    28. Encountering the Manuscripts - Comfort 5/5
    29. The Art of Modeling Dynamic Systems: Forecasting for Chaos, Randomness & Determinism - Morrison 5/5
    30. On the Incarnation - Athanasius 4/5
    31. The Problem of Pain - CS Lewis 4/5
    32. My Inventions - Nikola Tesla 4/5
    33. Debating Calvinism - White & Hunt 2/5
    34. What Is the Trinity - Sproul 4/5
    35. Ten Myths About Calvinism - Stewart 4/5
    36. Slavery, Inc. - Cacho 3.5/5
    37. Mind & Cosmos - Thomas Nagel 3.5/5
    38. Goodbye, Good Men - Rose 4/5
    39. Omicidio alla Moda - Medaglia 3/5
    40. The Heresy of Orthodoxy - Kstenberger 4/5
    41. A Problem from Hell: America in the Age of Genocide - Power 3.5/5
    42. Sync: How Order Emerges from Chaos - Strogatz 4/5
    43. The Mystery of the Lord's Supper - Watson 3.5/5
    44. The Mortification of Sin - Owen 5/5
    45. Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes - Ryan 5/5
    46. The Death of Money: The Coming Collapse of the Int'l Monetary System - Rickards 4/5
    47. Does God Desire All to be Saved? - Piper 3.5/5
    48. Complex Analysis - Silverman 3.5/5
    49. By All Means Necessary: How China's Resource Quest is Changing the World - Economy & Levi 3/5
    50. Terror Inc.: Tracing the Dollars Behind the Terror Networks - Napoleoni 3/5
    51. Scripture Alone - White 4/5
    52. Aquinas - Feser 4/5
    53. The Symposium - Plato 4/5
    54. Orthodoxy - GK Chesterton 3/5
    55. Commentary on Galatians - Chrysostom 4/5
    56. The Ecumenical Councils of the Catholic Church - Kelly 4/5
    57. Anna Karenina - Tolstoy 5/5
    58. The Cult of the Saints - Brown 3.5/5
    59. The Only Wise God: The Compatibility of Divine Foreknowledge & Human Freedom - WLC 3.5/5
    60. The Nature, Dignity & Mission of a Woman - Fr. Karl Stehlin 3.5/5
    61. The Israel Lobby & US Foreign Policy - Mearsheimer & Walt 5/5
    62. Genesis Machines: The New Science of Biocomputing - Amos 4/5
    63. DNA Computing & Molecular Programming - Stefanovic et al. 3/5
    64. Jonathan Edwards: His Doctrine of & Devotion to Prayer - Najapfour 3.5/5
    65. Thoughts on Family Worship - J.W. Alexander 3.5/5
    66. Perspective Made Easy - Norling 3.5/5
    67. The Student Pilot's Flight Manual - Kershner 4/5
    68. A Reformation Debate - Ed. Olin 5/5

Finished:
    69. Mary for Evangelicals - Perry 4/5

70. Quantum: Einstein, Bohr & the Great Debate about the Nature of Reality - Kumar 4/5

I'm calling it here. Going to condense & build some momentum for next year. The list is being assembled, can't wait.

Good job!! I think I will be lucky if I read 25 books this year, lol...
    Frederic Malle Portrait of a Lady 10ml decants available.

Fantastic job. Did you keep track of how many books you've read in previous years? Is this a record for you? Plan on reading more fiction next year, by any chance?

Where's redraider and the one or two other women in this thread been?

CayoJulio has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CayoJulio has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CayoJulio has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CayoJulio has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CayoJulio has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CayoJulio has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CayoJulio has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CayoJulio has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CayoJulio has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CayoJulio has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CayoJulio has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    let's do dis phaggots