View Poll Results: How many books have you read for last year's challenge?

Voters
340. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 - 10

192 56.47%
  • 10 - 20

63 18.53%
  • 20 - 30

29 8.53%
  • 30 - 40

12 3.53%
  • 40 - 51

11 3.24%
  • 52+ I made it brah. (No gender-specific cheesy line this time lol)

33 9.71%
Closed Thread
Page 27 of 173 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 77 127 ... LastLast
    VAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by lnvictus View Post
    wtf?? Why are they against it?

Don't go :/ just because they're being dicks doesn't mean you have to leave. mods do not represent the values/opinions of the masses. We enjoy your reviews a lot and you leaving would be a blow to the thread.
    Mods don't approve/disapprove donation threads. ForumAdmin and others from corporate do.

So if you wanna go ahead and call us dicks, you can leave with him.

And for the record, you can all thank BoostBrah for donations to individuals and private entities not being allowed. That situation, as well if it were to happen again, would leave bb.com open for liability.

For the record, I'm against EVERY donation thread. And this is the exact reason why. All it takes is 1 thread to be approved, and people see it and send us numerous requests for others (I get at least 5 a day), and some of them for some really stupid sht. Then, regardless of why others may not be allowed, people get all butthurt.

arkskier is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) arkskier is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) arkskier is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) arkskier is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) arkskier is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) arkskier is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) arkskier is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) arkskier is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) arkskier is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) arkskier is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) arkskier is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by VAPump View Post
    Mods don't approve/disapprove donation threads. ForumAdmin and others from corporate do.

And for the record, you can all thank BoostBrah for donations to individuals and private entities not being allowed. That situation, as well if it were to happen again, would leave bb.com open for liability.

For the record, I'm against EVERY donation thread. And this is the exact reason why. All it takes is 1 thread to be approved, and people see it and send us numerous requests for others (I get at least 5 a day), and some of them for some really stupid sht. Then, regardless of why others may not be allowed, people get all butthurt.
    http://www.youcaring.com/memorial-fu...al-fund/120455

This is not personal donations?

6,000 people die in my small country. 4.2 M are affected. No work, no job. And it is not allowed to donate.

Tell me to my face when my family is suffering. Tell it to my face from your comfortable chair. TELL IT TO MY FACE.
    52 books in 52 weeks crew
    yellow fever crew
    150 IQ crew
    I always rape back crew

VAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by arkskier View Post
    http://www.youcaring.com/memorial-fu...al-fund/120455

This is not personal donations?

6,000 people die in my small country. 4.2 M are affected. No work, no job. And it is not allowed to donate.

Tell me to my face when my family is suffering. Tell it to my face from your comfortable chair. TELL IT TO MY FACE.

Hey smarter child, here is your EXACT quote, which I based my response on: "but they do not allow direct personal donations to people"

Now you want to sit here and derail the thread by further arguing over something that 1) has been decided and 2) i already stated is not my decision to make?

Here, I'm going to help you get off the computer and start doing something productive to help your people.

ANd also for the record.... direct from that site: "We transfer donations directly into your PayPal or WePay account as soon as they are received."

Yep, that's money going into someone's personal account. Totally no chance of another BoostBrah going on there.

bigben2121 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigben2121 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigben2121 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigben2121 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigben2121 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigben2121 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigben2121 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigben2121 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigben2121 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigben2121 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigben2121 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Currently reading Character Analysis, for phucks sake it is hard to understand. I had no problem reading several of Alexander Lowen's books but this one is just like damn.

☮INFJ♞6w5(so/sp) IEI-INFp lnvictus's Avatar
    lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Well, I didn't now that..about corporate making the decisions and not individual mods..

I remember boostbrah incident very well. That fuker ruined donation threads for everybody.
    Kal-El, son of Jor-El

Bonitatem, Disciplinam, Scientiam

PokLim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PokLim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PokLim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PokLim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PokLim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PokLim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PokLim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PokLim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PokLim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PokLim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PokLim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by arkskier View Post
    Invictus, I'm leaving the misc bro. The mods didn't approve my thread for donations to haiyan victims. They allow donations for cancer research, which may or may not come up with a cure, but they do not allow direct personal donations to people who have actually nothing to eat and thus need the money immediately. I can't be in a community that's heartless and doesn't care about its members. Take care bro. I've been in your books thread for two years and it's been fun. I wish you the best for 2014. Ciao. If you want to talk, just leave me a message in skype.

Well, that escalated quickly. Good night sweet arkskier.

Just finished my first book of the year, "The Time Machine". Good, light read.

Discipline27 is just really nice. (+1000) Discipline27 is just really nice. (+1000) Discipline27 is just really nice. (+1000) Discipline27 is just really nice. (+1000) Discipline27 is just really nice. (+1000) Discipline27 is just really nice. (+1000) Discipline27 is just really nice. (+1000) Discipline27 is just really nice. (+1000) Discipline27 is just really nice. (+1000) Discipline27 is just really nice. (+1000) Discipline27 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Reading Snowball. 400 pages to go. Will finish by Saturday.
    Perpetually battling the existential void of our finite existence.

RIP Zyzz, Prince of Aesthetics

Chadism is going after what you want. Disregard females, acquire everything.

Originally Posted by PokLim View Post
    Well, that escalated quickly. Good night sweet arkskier.

What really ticks me off is that I had this thread subbed because I wanted to participate this year, and all it took was that temper tantrum to ruin my mood and turn me off from wanting to post in here at all.

Part Animal, Part Machine cheerupemokid's Avatar
    cheerupemokid has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cheerupemokid has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cheerupemokid has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cheerupemokid has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cheerupemokid has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cheerupemokid has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cheerupemokid has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cheerupemokid has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cheerupemokid has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cheerupemokid has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cheerupemokid has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Finished reading

C.S. Lewis' Out of the Silent Planet

and

John D Rockefeller's Random Reminiscences of Men and Events

Lewis is such an amazing writer it blows my mind, I'll definitely be reading the other books in the trilogy.

Rockefeller's book live up to the title, it wasn't an autobiography, just random musings on things. Still, it was interesting to see how he thought and how much contemplation he gave to philanthropy...and gardening.
    Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. -C.S. Lewis

Neg_Train has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Neg_Train has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Neg_Train has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Neg_Train has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Neg_Train has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Neg_Train has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Neg_Train has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Neg_Train has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Neg_Train has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Neg_Train has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Neg_Train has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    What really ticks me off is that I had this thread subbed because I wanted to participate this year, and all it took was that temper tantrum to ruin my mood and turn me off from wanting to post in here at all.

How long will be banned for?

☮INFJ♞6w5(so/sp) IEI-INFp lnvictus's Avatar
    lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lnvictus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good night sweet ark prince. Hopefully VApump didn't permaban you :'(

If you're still lurking- get on Goodreads and update us on your progress/reviews. Also see you in skype.

To topic-
    Abut page 28/280 of Inspirations from a physician.

edit: VApump, my apologies. firstly for assuming mods were being dickish and selective about donation threads. As for ark- he is a good dude. He is understandably upset because people around him are struggling to live through the devastation..he even had some of his friends dying.
    Last edited by lnvictus; 01-02-2014 at 07:48 PM.
    Kal-El, son of Jor-El

Bonitatem, Disciplinam, Scientiam

I'm usually strict about the "no questioning/discussion of mod decisions/bans" but I'll make an exception. It's only for a week, hopefully give him time to chill the fuk out. I understand his emotions are high and he's on edge because of everything happening so I'm not taking it personally, but really I'm just sitting there explaining sht to him/everyone, so there's no need for the outlash.

loteq has a spectacular aura about. (+250) loteq has a spectacular aura about. (+250) loteq has a spectacular aura about. (+250) loteq has a spectacular aura about. (+250) loteq has a spectacular aura about. (+250) loteq has a spectacular aura about. (+250) loteq has a spectacular aura about. (+250) loteq has a spectacular aura about. (+250) loteq has a spectacular aura about. (+250) loteq has a spectacular aura about. (+250) loteq has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    So I'm roughly half way through beyond good and evil.

My take: The whole book is hypocrisy in itself, acting as guide of proper thought on the subjects of philosophy and philosophers themselves, but nullifying much meaning when the book breaks it's own ethos.

Neg_Train has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Neg_Train has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Neg_Train has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Neg_Train has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Neg_Train has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Neg_Train has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Neg_Train has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Neg_Train has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Neg_Train has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Neg_Train has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Neg_Train has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by loteq View Post

My take: The whole book is hypocrisy in itself, acting as guide of proper thought on the subjects of philosophy and philosophers themselves, but nullifying much meaning when the book breaks it's own ethos.
    u wot m8?

Matriculated Member ForgotLoginInfo's Avatar
    ForgotLoginInfo will become famous soon enough. (+50) ForgotLoginInfo will become famous soon enough. (+50) ForgotLoginInfo will become famous soon enough. (+50) ForgotLoginInfo will become famous soon enough. (+50) ForgotLoginInfo will become famous soon enough. (+50) ForgotLoginInfo will become famous soon enough. (+50) ForgotLoginInfo will become famous soon enough. (+50) ForgotLoginInfo will become famous soon enough. (+50) ForgotLoginInfo will become famous soon enough. (+50) ForgotLoginInfo will become famous soon enough. (+50) ForgotLoginInfo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by loteq View Post

Brah I have such a tough time understanding Nietzsche....I had to put that book down....had trouble keeping my train of thought in line with comprehending. I intend to rummage through his texts in the near future though...I need to 'level up' lol I believe FN to be one smart, cynical motherfuker

still reading The Sun Also Rises

kind of slow in the beginning :\

Edward Snowden due to this Nor'easter so I'll be reading...or watching movies...both...whatever
    Those that went before me
    Tried to school me well but the wisdom only bored me
    I never lost yet but if I did it would be sorely
    Therefore, I implore thee:
    Never come before the
    Champion of men
    The beginning and the end

envied09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) envied09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) envied09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) envied09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) envied09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) envied09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) envied09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) envied09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) envied09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) envied09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) envied09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    finished slaughterhouse five, 2 days later im about 200 pages into the art of fielding. this book is incredible.
    by appointment only

sixteen60 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sixteen60 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sixteen60 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sixteen60 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sixteen60 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sixteen60 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sixteen60 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sixteen60 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sixteen60 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sixteen60 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sixteen60 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by PokLim View Post
    Got a Kindle for Christmas and also read the Time Machine last week. Didn't like it much, but I gotta give it credit considering it was written in the late 1800s and before scifi was really a thing

Also just finished Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde. It was suggested in a reddit thread last week about dystopians and it did not disappoint. It was fun to read and very imaginative, I'll just paste the summary from there:
    Imagine a society where each person can only see one color out of the entire spectrum. The society is divided into castes based on which color you can see, and how strongly you can see it. Also, there's this tree that eats people.
    btw here is a partial quote from the book I thought the misc would enjoy, no spoilers. It's an ad for a marriage
    Yellow Beta male (Y:54.9%, R:22%), 26 yrs. Feedback generally positive, healthy but not great looker. Mildly slovenly.
    Almost everyone gets married at 20
    Last edited by sixteen60; 01-02-2014 at 08:15 PM.

bigben2121 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigben2121 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigben2121 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigben2121 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigben2121 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigben2121 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigben2121 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigben2121 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigben2121 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigben2121 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigben2121 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Don't worry about it brah **** happens

redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz
    1. Happy Hours (Devon Jersild) 3/5
    Dry, mostly citations and some anecdotes with little discussion as to what recovery actually looks like for women successful with sobriety. Still an interesting read.
    2. All About Love: New Visions (bell hooks) 4/5
    The only reason I didn't give 'Love' 5 stars is because I'm annoyed when authors try to argue emotions as theory, and I also found it odd that she also writes about love from a noticeably heteronormative angle, which is surprising for an author whose background is in feminist theory. That was also one of the most pretentious sentences I've ever written.

loteq has a spectacular aura about. (+250) loteq has a spectacular aura about. (+250) loteq has a spectacular aura about. (+250) loteq has a spectacular aura about. (+250) loteq has a spectacular aura about. (+250) loteq has a spectacular aura about. (+250) loteq has a spectacular aura about. (+250) loteq has a spectacular aura about. (+250) loteq has a spectacular aura about. (+250) loteq has a spectacular aura about. (+250) loteq has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by ForgotLoginInfo View Post
    Brah I have such a tough time understanding Nietzsche....I had to put that book down....had trouble keeping my train of thought in line with comprehending. I intend to rummage through his texts in the near future though...I need to 'level up' lol I believe FN to be one smart, cynical motherfuker

still reading The Sun Also Rises

kind of slow in the beginning :\

Edward Snowden due to this Nor'easter so I'll be reading...or watching movies...both...whatever
    If it makes you feel any better, theres no scholarly consensus on what he actually means.

To me, it's just him poking holes in the flawed thinkings of philosophers

TwitchBromanshipTV TooLateForRoses's Avatar
    TooLateForRoses is a name known to all. (+5000) TooLateForRoses is a name known to all. (+5000) TooLateForRoses is a name known to all. (+5000) TooLateForRoses is a name known to all. (+5000) TooLateForRoses is a name known to all. (+5000) TooLateForRoses is a name known to all. (+5000) TooLateForRoses is a name known to all. (+5000) TooLateForRoses is a name known to all. (+5000) TooLateForRoses is a name known to all. (+5000) TooLateForRoses is a name known to all. (+5000) TooLateForRoses is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Just finished my first book of 2014 brahs!

Contagious
    Why Things Catch On
    by Jonah Berger

Good read, would recommend to anyone who is an entrepreneur, aspiring entrepreneur, or just interested in business/marketing in general. The author has essentially dedicated his life to studying marketing strategies, and what make things go "viral". He breaks it all down into 6 categories that sometimes overlap a bit, but are pretty distinct overall. Solid advice and really makes you think and makes sense of a lot of things that I probably wouldn't have even considered thinking about otherwise. Fairly easy read, only about 200 pages, dense with useful information.

7/10
    twitch.tv/BromanshipTV

PleaseToHelp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PleaseToHelp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PleaseToHelp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PleaseToHelp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PleaseToHelp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PleaseToHelp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PleaseToHelp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PleaseToHelp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PleaseToHelp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PleaseToHelp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PleaseToHelp has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Jayczzz View Post
    This last week I finished reading the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, Seneca's "On the Shortness of Life" and "Civil Disobedience" by Thoreau.
    7 Habits is a really nice book, and it resonated with lots of the stuff I went through the last 4 months since I straightened out my life. Some of the content is also in line with the buddhist/stoic phylosophy I've been reading/trying to apply to my life.

So...3 down, 49 to go. I'm currently reading Epictetus's Discourses, slowly and little by little so I can think about it properly.

The next books I'm thinking about reading are:

Obliquity by John Kay
    A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking
    The Republic by Plato
    Hagakure, the Book of the Samurai
    Sup brah, how was "On the Shortness of Life"? I'm also very interested in stoic philosophy and have a copy of Meditations and Epictetus' Discourses next to my bed to read before I sleep. Definitely take your time with Epictetus' Discourses, think about it and try to live it. Every one of the passages has something that can improve your quality of life.

ForestFootball is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ForestFootball is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ForestFootball is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ForestFootball is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ForestFootball is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ForestFootball is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ForestFootball is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ForestFootball is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ForestFootball is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ForestFootball is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ForestFootball is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Got this coming in the mail.

ttu90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ttu90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ttu90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ttu90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ttu90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ttu90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ttu90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ttu90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ttu90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ttu90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ttu90 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    started Bill Bryson's 'a short history of nearly everything' a couple days ago. anybody familiar or read it?

so far a lot of mindblowing talk about the size of the universe and how it came to be. i'm big on science and philosophy so suits me perfectly
    misc horse head crew
    texas tech university

NocturnalEphex is just really nice. (+1000) NocturnalEphex is just really nice. (+1000) NocturnalEphex is just really nice. (+1000) NocturnalEphex is just really nice. (+1000) NocturnalEphex is just really nice. (+1000) NocturnalEphex is just really nice. (+1000) NocturnalEphex is just really nice. (+1000) NocturnalEphex is just really nice. (+1000) NocturnalEphex is just really nice. (+1000) NocturnalEphex is just really nice. (+1000) NocturnalEphex is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by AntiGlobalist View Post
    You seriously need to put that book into practice. The system is nothing if not magical.
    Will do boss. Appreciate it.

Originally Posted by polkster84 View Post
    Here is a good supplemental book to that one.

I just started reading it and it clarifies many topics in the Master Key System.
    I shall look at that when I finish the original!
    Seattle Seahawks | Seattle Mariners
    GT: Invincinity
    ***ASMR Crew***
    I have had OCD and still deal with it to this day, so if you need someone to talk to and who might understand what you're dealing with, don't be afraid to PM me.
    Support Group for those with OCD: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154253691

Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ttu90 View Post
    started Bill Bryson's 'a short history of nearly everything' a couple days ago. anybody familiar or read it?

so far a lot of mindblowing talk about the size of the universe and how it came to be. i'm big on science and philosophy so suits me perfectly
    I've read it, fantastic book IMO. Science and philosophy are my peak interests too, which makes for a great reading list.
    Iron, sometimes it sets my teeth on edge, other times it helps me control the chaos.

++ Positivity Crew ++

Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hi guys, mind if I join this thread and share my reading experiences?

I finished "How to read a book" last night.

It's basically a guide into the art of reading, how to read 'analytical' and how to read different kinds of subjects (e.g. philosophy, social sciences, etc).

There is some interesting stuff in there but it didn't captivate me that much - nor did I read that much new information. The biggest take away for me was a chapter about why reading is important, how it benefits us (our minds) and why it is 'better' than keeping yourself busy with TV, radio or other entertainment. This part wasn't written in a condescending way, so I liked it and it got me reminded again of why I like reading and why it's worth it spending my time on.

Overall, I would rate this 6.5/10.

The coolest thing about this book by the way, is that the authors share their 'The ultimate reading list' which is full of classics and must-reads. This is a list I want to finish some day, but that's going to take a while since it's about 140 books and not the easiest stuff either. But that is their premise: you need to read that which is difficult for you, so you can learn and grown your mind, expand your capabilities.

Like progressive overload in the gym

Let me know if anyone is interested in the list, I can copy it here but perhaps that's also been done so let me know.
    Iron, sometimes it sets my teeth on edge, other times it helps me control the chaos.

++ Positivity Crew ++

Jayczzz is just really nice. (+1000) Jayczzz is just really nice. (+1000) Jayczzz is just really nice. (+1000) Jayczzz is just really nice. (+1000) Jayczzz is just really nice. (+1000) Jayczzz is just really nice. (+1000) Jayczzz is just really nice. (+1000) Jayczzz is just really nice. (+1000) Jayczzz is just really nice. (+1000) Jayczzz is just really nice. (+1000) Jayczzz is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by PleaseToHelp View Post
    Sup brah, how was "On the Shortness of Life"?
    It was really good. Motivated me to figure out what is really important in life and to work for it. It's a short read, so if you really want to get into it you can get it done in a day.

Originally Posted by PleaseToHelp View Post
    I'm also very interested in stoic philosophy and have a copy of Meditations and Epictetus' Discourses next to my bed to read before I sleep. Definitely take your time with Epictetus' Discourses, think about it and try to live it. Every one of the passages has something that can improve your quality of life.
    Meditations was what got me into Stoicism in the first place. Read it this summer, really good book. I'm currently at the beggining of the second book of the Discourses and the more I read, the easier it is to understand and resonate with Epictetus's thoughts. I'm reading it on my computer, but getting a physical copy is something I'm thinking about.
    +++ 52 books in 52 weeks 2016 crew (28/52) +++
    +++ 52 books in 52 weeks 2015 crew (45/52) +++
    +++ 52 books in 52 weeks 2014 crew (63/52) +++

polkster84 is a name known to all. (+5000) polkster84 is a name known to all. (+5000) polkster84 is a name known to all. (+5000) polkster84 is a name known to all. (+5000) polkster84 is a name known to all. (+5000) polkster84 is a name known to all. (+5000) polkster84 is a name known to all. (+5000) polkster84 is a name known to all. (+5000) polkster84 is a name known to all. (+5000) polkster84 is a name known to all. (+5000) polkster84 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Dexter3000 View Post
    Hi guys, mind if I join this thread and share my reading experiences?

I finished "How to read a book" last night.

It's basically a guide into the art of reading, how to read 'analytical' and how to read different kinds of subjects (e.g. philosophy, social sciences, etc).

There is some interesting stuff in there but it didn't captivate me that much - nor did I read that much new information. The biggest take away for me was a chapter about why reading is important, how it benefits us (our minds) and why it is 'better' than keeping yourself busy with TV, radio or other entertainment. This part wasn't written in a condescending way, so I liked it and it got me reminded again of why I like reading and why it's worth it spending my time on.
    This is actually my next book. I have skimmed through it and it didn't look that interesting but it received good reviews on Amazon.
    www.boostmyself.com - My self improvement ramblings.

Originally Posted by polkster84 View Post
    This is actually my next book. I have skimmed through it and it didn't look that interesting but it received good reviews on Amazon.
    Yeah that's why I bought it in the first place.. maybe you like it better than me though.

++ Positivity Crew ++