Need Help? Customer Support 1-866-236-8417
    Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz

Grizzly Supreme Grip Collars (nylon strap and neoprene barbell collar)

I just got these a couple weeks ago and have now used them long enough to post up a review. There are several similar brands on the market and I believe this review will cover them all even though I only have the one brand, they all look identical from the available pictures and all use nearly the exact same language in the description.

These are very simple barbell collars. As you can see above it is just an inch and a half nylon strap with a piece of two inch rubberized neoprene attached to them. They are used just like you would expect, wrap it around the bar thread through the metal loop, pull tight and stick the Velcro together.

I mainly got these because I don't know anyone who has them, nor can I find any decent reviews on them. In fact I only know about them from one thread where some teen mentioned that this school gym had them. I figured as long as they can outperform my worn out spring clips they would be good enough.

SO how do they perform. Well I can only compare them directly to spring clips as these are my only other 2" barbell collar, but given their price point this is a fair comparison. These were about $20 shipped, and I got this brand because it was the cheapest product plus shipping available. Most company's seemed to want more than ten bucks to ship these things. Come on! seriously, they weigh less than a pounds and arrived in a padded envelop in my mailbox first class through the post office. I'm glad I went with the company that included shipping in the price ( what you thought when they say free shipping they mean free?).

Anyway back to the collars.

I had two main beefs with my old spring clips.

The first is that the ribbed sleeves on my CAP OB-86B bar are filing the cheap chrome job right off the spring clips, and its a pain to vacuum that up. Any new collar would solve this problem. Though I was a bit worried about anything plastic like quicklee or lockjaw I though the sliding on and off this bar might wear the plastic down quickly on the ribs. I also though these neoprene ones might get a better grip by squishing into the grooves, more on this later.

The second beef I had was the big one. When lifting from the floor they would loosen, a lot. See my plates are CAP as well and the holes are very over sized by at least a quarter inch. If I have less than two plates on the bar and am lifting from the floor it slumps sideways a little as the plates don't fit tightly. The spring clips weren't strong enough to prevent this and would just get shoved loose. In fact in a high rep touch and go set they would work their way looser and looser. It really sucks when the weight on one side of the bar works its way further out with every rep Ive found one side as much as four inches off the stops. The Grizzly collars do prevent this, though the do allow a slight slump when the bar is just sitting there as they are soft and have a bit of give. They do not work loose though. Strangely enough everything sits tight once I get enough change outside the plate two tens and the problem now goes away.

I was going to film myself doing a Sorinex style collar test with these but when I tried it I figured it wasn't worth while. These just slide off under the weight, nearly as fast as the spring clips do. The makers of this type of collar all carry a Heavy duty, or maximum grip, version of this collar that is an inch wider and more expensive, I don't see it helping enough to make a difference. These are not magic and are not going to grip the bar like any collar that uses mechanical leverage. I was just happy they outperformed the spring clips.

So if you are shopping for new collars for your bar should you buy these? Probably not, there are better choices out there, though they cost more. These outperform spring clips and that what can be said about them for the home gym owner.

Who should buy these collars? Anyone who goes to a commercial gym that doesn't have decent collars. If your gym has spring clips (usually bent) or heaven forbid those metal rings with the angled bolt straight through it these will be well worth it to you. They will also fit right in your pocket so they don't disappear when your back is turned.

All in all I'm glad I got them as they are an improvement over what I s had. I'm also glad I didn't pay much for them.

Now we just have to see how long the Velcro and rubberized neoprene hold up. When they fail I'll update the review.

ETA: My wife likes these a lot better than the spring clips she has smaller hands and has always had a hard time squeezing them.
    Last edited by Wildtim; 12-13-2013 at 03:44 PM.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thanks for your review! I owe you reps when I'm off spread. I've been interested in these for quite awhile but always hesitated due to lack of reviews. It makes sense that they work ok, but not amazingly. They do sound like a nice lightweight option for anyone not lifting at home - I've brought Bulldog collars to a gym before and they were a bit of a pain to carry around.
    ▪█───█▪ York Barbell Club #47 ▪█───█▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #41 ▪█───█▪ ▪[M]====[6]▪ #7 ▪[M]====[6]▪

1RM PRs: Squat (385), Bench (245), Sumo/Conventional Deadlift (417.5/420), OHP (150)

twodog is a name known to all. (+5000) twodog is a name known to all. (+5000) twodog is a name known to all. (+5000) twodog is a name known to all. (+5000) twodog is a name known to all. (+5000) twodog is a name known to all. (+5000) twodog is a name known to all. (+5000) twodog is a name known to all. (+5000) twodog is a name known to all. (+5000) twodog is a name known to all. (+5000) twodog is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thanks for the review Tim. I probably wouldn't use these at home since I have a few different styles that I like, but I think that they might be worthwhile to use in a commercial gym type setting as you mentioned. The fact that they only weigh about a pound a piece, and they are soft for storing seems to make them ideal for that situation.

As far as failing the Sorinex test goes, I have Olympic style (shipwheel) Ivanko collars, Muscle clamps, and others that all fail the test. So join the crowd .
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do, than by the ones you did" Mark Twain

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H. L. Mencken

[]---[] Equipment Crew #42 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #18 ()---()

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    Just wanted to add that I just found out a couple of comapnys here in the US make a similar collar that appears to get good reviews elsewhere (though few of them). I would consider them to be different enough to be worth their own review. The big problem though is that they cost upwards of $30 a pair which means they are up in the range of Lockjaws and the other premium barbell collars. They better be a step way above the ones I have. Like I said above I think mine were worth what I paid but I would look elsewhere if I were willing to pay nearly twice what I did.

morebarbell is a name known to all. (+5000) morebarbell is a name known to all. (+5000) morebarbell is a name known to all. (+5000) morebarbell is a name known to all. (+5000) morebarbell is a name known to all. (+5000) morebarbell is a name known to all. (+5000) morebarbell is a name known to all. (+5000) morebarbell is a name known to all. (+5000) morebarbell is a name known to all. (+5000) morebarbell is a name known to all. (+5000) morebarbell is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Nice objective review, Tim. I'm on spread as well. I saw the quote in the collar thread. I obviously wasn't impressed with the design but my initial reaction was a bit strong. I think you made a good point. They are probably as effective as spring collars. For curl bars and triceps bars or dumbbell handles, I want a collar like the compression ring collars that are strong enough to hold the plates if the bar is up ended But that isn't always necessary. And I don't always use collars. I can't remember the last time that I used collars for flat bench press. I sometimes use collars for military press just to help keep the plates together since one arm sometimes tires before the other (I've had shoulder surgery twice).
    Last edited by morebarbell; 12-14-2013 at 08:09 PM.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #32 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #43 ()---() ▉---▉ Equipment Crew #50 ▉---▉

I was just reminded of this thread in the "Croc-lock" collar thread and realized I hadn't updated it, ever.

Of course I said I would update it when the collars failed, and they haven't yet.........but anyway here's an update a year later.

These things are still ticking along fine and my original opinion still holds pretty much, I'm perhaps a little more fond of them now than I was when they were new. That might just be because we have shared so much pain together though

I noticed in my original review I mentioned I would say something about them on ribbed (ob-86b) sleeves and then never did: These actually hold much more strongly on a smooth chrome sleeve than they do on the ribbed sleeve, not sorinex test strong, but much better. I knew that a year ago and then forgot to mention it if it matters to anyone.

These also hold better now that they are a little worn, or maybe broken in is the right term. Kinda like a shoe where the leather softens over time and works better. Again we aren't talking about Ivanko hold here but better than when they were new.

The velcro isn't wearing out. I don't throw them in a bag with stuff the velcro would stick to, or pick up lint form, like a towel or anything, which you might do if you were taking them to the gym three times a week. Spend a little time brushing out the velcro every so often if this happens and it will last a good long time.

The only places showing wear is on the very edges of the neoprene, there are a couple places where the edge has worn through or it looks like it has been cut. This actually happened quite some time ago and doesn't effect the performance of the collars it is just wear. What caused it is my cheap loose plates. When lifting from the floor the loose plates can shift a bit as I mentioned originally, This caused the plate to pinch a bit of the edge of the collar between itself and the bar crushing and cutting the edge of the collar. If I had quality plates this wouldn't happen, of course if I had quality plates I would probably have popped for better collars but..... If you use these in a commercial setting you probably use them on better plate/bar combinations than I have so you would not encounter this issue.

Anyway, in conclusion, these things still work, possibly better than when new, are showing a little age and have a bit of cosmetic damage. I'm still using them on every Olympic bar exercise I do and see no real reason to buy anything better because they are working as I wanted them to. If I were shopping I'm still not sure I would buy them again but they do all I need them too.