Registered User Deep-Voiced-One's Avatar
    Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

20 TPI Volcano Knurl VS 25 TPI Mountain Knurl

I'm considering getting the American Barbell Chewy Bar for a more aggressive knurl in contrast to the passive knurl on my American Barbell Elite Bar. I have the choice of either going with a 20 TPI Volcano knurling, or a 25 TPI Mountain knurling as a blemish bar.

Any thoughts, or opinions on each of these knurls respectively?

I'm thinking the 25 TPI Mountain blem bar might save me some dough if that style lives up to it's name...I would be using it for bench, rows and DLs mainly if I do get one of the listed versions of the Chewy Bar.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #80 ▪█─────█▪

▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #16 ▪[M]====[6]▪

▪█─█▪ Certified workout equipment addict ▪█─█▪

"We're all gonna be alright crew, we got this!"

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I would always go with higher TPI.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #79 ▪█─────█▪

mostakin is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Deep-Voiced-One View Post
    I'm considering getting the American Barbell Chewy Bar for a more aggressive knurl in contrast to the passive knurl on my American Barbell Elite Bar. I have the choice of either going with a 20 TPI Volcano knurling, or a 25 TPI Mountain knurling as a blemish bar.

Any thoughts, or opinions on each of these knurls respectively?

I'm thinking the 25 TPI Mountain blem bar might save me some dough if that style lives up to it's name...I would be using it for bench, rows and DLs mainly if I do get one of the listed versions of the Chewy Bar.
    very helpful information.thanks

Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    I would always go with higher TPI.

Thanks man, I went ahead and requested a quote on the blem version of the 25 TPI Mountain knurled version (curious how much they discount it). I figure can't go wrong with the best of both worlds (passive with the Elite and aggressive with the Chewy), apparently the Mountain version of the Chewy was made to compete in the realm of the Kabuki Power Bar's knurl, or have the equivalent feel of it.

Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I rarely train with barbell now, but when I do, I prefer the softer AB knurl, the harsher one destroys my hands and back

I'm not a fan of blood bruises on my upper traps from leg day hack squats / power squats as it is

The one movement I still regularly use barbell for is weighted 45 degree back extensions, but grip strength isn't a factor there

If I were to train in an old school barbell gym with no machines, I'd probably just use straps for rows and deadlifts anyway, and prefer the softer knurl for bench and squats instead of ending up all cut up
    ► Intermediate Bodybuilding Classic Physique ► Renaissance Periodization Programming
    ► https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180349883
    ► Progress Pictures
    ► https://i.ibb.co/r6RKF4p/Progress-Pictures.png

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Discomfort from mountain knurl goes down significantly with higher tpi and grip improves. Imagine the old carnival act of trying to walk on a bed of densely packed nails vs nails with space in between them. Dense = better. And the tighter they can make the tpi, the less need there is to turn it into volcano. No matter how deeply cut and sharp the knurl, grip will be reduced with lower tpi vs higher.

Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    That makes a lot of sense, thanks for the explanation

This is the bar I'm usimg for 45 back extensions

I'm pretty sure it's the same knurl as OP, no pain but grip kind of sucks above 4 plates
    ► Intermediate Bodybuilding Classic Physique ► Renaissance Periodization Programming
    ► https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180349883
    ► Progress Pictures
    ► https://i.ibb.co/r6RKF4p/Progress-Pictures.png

Originally Posted by Camarija View Post
    That makes a lot of sense, thanks for the explanation

This is the bar I'm usimg for 45 back extensions

I'm pretty sure it's the same knurl as OP, no pain but grip kind of sucks above 4 plates
    Yes, I wouldn't call American Barbell's traditional pre-Chewy knurl volcano or mountain. It feels more like sandpaper and is both comfortable and grippy to a point. Three or four plates depending on grip strength sounds about right. I love it for pressing. For pulling, the highest TPI volcano or mountain you can find is ideal IMO, but manufacturers don't all publish TPI so it ends up being subjective reviews and reports.

I ordered the 25 TPI Mountain Chewy blemish bar yesterday. I'm looking forward to taking it for a test drive once I get and will report back with pics and opinions.

Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    Discomfort from mountain knurl goes down significantly with higher tpi and grip improves. Imagine the old carnival act of trying to walk on a bed of densely packed nails vs nails with space in between them. Dense = better. And the tighter they can make the tpi, the less need there is to turn it into volcano. No matter how deeply cut and sharp the knurl, grip will be reduced with lower tpi vs higher.

Very good explanation, based on the above information I feel confident choosing the higher TPI mountain knurl.

Bump, been a bit lost in the shuffle lately but haven't forgot to post this...just received tracking on my Chewy 25M blem bar (ordered from a few weeks back) and will post pics of the bar once it's all situated inside the rack.

My Chewy 25M blem bar arrived yesterday evening and I went ahead and set it up in the gym earlier this morning, I'm very impressed with the 25 TPI Mountain knurl and feel that this knurl should be standard, or a mainstream retail option on their site. The best way I could describe it is a gritty, sandpapery, sticky grip feel with a good middle ground bite (not a passive grippy style like their Elite bar which I think is 30 TPI and feels more like a Hill knurl).

Don't get me wrong, the Elite is underrated when it comes to squatting with it since it doesn't tear into your back and feels more tolerable for high rep volume on those (in my opinion) and OHPs are good with it, but now and days I prefer squatting with my Marrs Bar. Once upper day arrives I'll give the Chewy a run with it, but I could already tell this bar is the ticket for bench, rows and DLs (I'll use it for OHPs as well, then once my Darko dock arrives I'll rotate in my FBB for them here and there since I should have more freedom to keep 3 bars inside the rack).

The shadowy blemish on the knurl is barely noticeable and the construction of the bar (even in blem) is what you'd come to expect from AB pure quality craftsmanship. I even went ahead and purchased a pair of custom stainless steel end caps should I ever want to swap the stock ones out on this version (I got 'em from my boy over at Discord (Dr_TattyWaffles) that does custom end cap work.

Anyways, enough rambling. Here's the pictures...

https://imgur.com/a/aasynEw
    Last edited by Deep-Voiced-One; 10-08-2023 at 01:40 PM.

Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    My Chewy 25M blem bar arrived yesterday evening and I went ahead and set it up in the gym earlier this morning, I'm very impressed with the 25 TPI Mountain knurl and feel that this knurl should be standard, or a mainstream retail option on their site. The best way I could describe it is a gritty, sandpapery, sticky grip feel with a good middle ground bite (not a passive grippy style like their Elite bar which I think is 30 TPI and feels more like a Hill knurl).

Don't get me wrong, the Elite is underrated when it comes to squatting with it since it doesn't tear into your back and feels more tolerable for high rep volume on those (in my opinion) and OHPs are good with it, but now and days I prefer squatting with my Marrs Bar. Once upper day arrives I'll give the Chewy a run with it, but I could already tell this bar is the ticket for bench, rows and DLs (I'll use it for OHPs as well, then once my Darko dock arrives I'll rotate in my FBB for them here and there since I should have more freedom to keep 3 bars inside the rack).

The shadowy blemish on the knurl is barely noticeable and the construction of the bar (even in blem) is what you'd come to expect from AB pure quality craftsmanship. I even went ahead and purchased a pair of custom stainless steel end caps should I ever want to swap the stock ones out on this version (I got 'em from my boy over at Discord (Dr_TattyWaffles) that does custom end cap work.

Anyways, enough rambling. Here's the pictures...

https://imgur.com/a/aasynEw
    Looks like my duffalo bar knurling. I like it.
    ▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #61 ▪█──█▪

Originally Posted by Mech6 View Post
    Looks like my duffalo bar knurling. I like it.

Awesome, the knurl's a dream, took it for a workout today (bench, rows and OHP). Grip's excellent, has a nice medium bite and doesn't tear the hands a new one...perfect well rounded bar, can't wait to DL with it!

Shout out to radrd for the good call on higher TPI with the mountain style, they stopped selling them, but AB also had a limited run of Chewy 20 TPI Mountain as well (basically the equivalent of a Rogue Aggro 2 Bar I believe).

I'm completely satisfied with 25 TPI Mountain, 20 TPI Volcano would've been too dull and passive and 20 TPI Mountain would've had less grip and probably more of a shattered glass feel like my Biotest trapbar has.

Congrats, man. Sounds like a hell of a bar! I think it's hard to ever go wrong with higher tpi. I'd expect even mostly passive knurling would have a more desirable a sandpaper feel with more teeth vs fewer.

urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Shout out to radrd for the good call on higher TPI with the mountain style, they stopped selling them, but AB also had a limited run of Chewy 20 TPI Mountain as well (basically the equivalent of a Rogue Aggro 2 Bar I believe).

I'm completely satisfied with 25 TPI Mountain, 20 TPI Volcano would've been too dull and passive and 20 TPI Mountain would've had less grip and probably more of a shattered glass feel like my Biotest trapbar has.
    Can confirm, I have had the 20 TPI American Barbell Chewy bar and the knurling is passive. Wouldn't even describe it as "shattered glass", not my favorite Barbell. Has me wishing I would have just bought the new REP Double Black Diamond barbell instead. Or the 29MM Texas, but I'm still waiting on Buddy Capps to smooth out the sleeves.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #58 ▪█─────█▪

Originally Posted by urbanlifter View Post
    Can confirm, I have had the 20 TPI American Barbell Chewy bar and the knurling is passive. Wouldn't even describe it as "shattered glass", not my favorite Barbell. Has me wishing I would have just bought the new REP Double Black Diamond barbell instead. Or the 29MM Texas, but I'm still waiting on Buddy Capps to smooth out the sleeves.
    Is it the retail one on their site (20 TPI Volcano knurl)? If so then that's the passive one.

The Discord regulars talked with Phil Patti the owner of AB and they had a limited run of both 20 TPI Mountain knurl which is the aggressive knurl and 25 TPI Mountain knurl which is the medium aggressive grippy knurl (the 20 TPI Mountain as far as I know is discontinued and they still have some 25 TPI Mountain blemish bars available). I e-mailed Shea Jensen to get the quote on the 25 TPI Mountain version in blem which is not listed on their site.