Registered User PCRulesPSDrools's Avatar
    PCRulesPSDrools will become famous soon enough. (+50) PCRulesPSDrools will become famous soon enough. (+50) PCRulesPSDrools will become famous soon enough. (+50) PCRulesPSDrools will become famous soon enough. (+50) PCRulesPSDrools will become famous soon enough. (+50) PCRulesPSDrools will become famous soon enough. (+50) PCRulesPSDrools will become famous soon enough. (+50) PCRulesPSDrools will become famous soon enough. (+50) PCRulesPSDrools will become famous soon enough. (+50) PCRulesPSDrools will become famous soon enough. (+50) PCRulesPSDrools will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Dumbbell handle thickness

Not a big fan of thick dumbbell handles, specifically when it comes to dumbbell curls. I'm sure I don't have small hands but I've found the 1" handles on my standard spin lock adjustable dumbbells to be far more comfortable for curling than the 34mm handles on some commercial dumbbells ( Rogue ) and similarly the cemco handles at my local gym, which are a little smaller than 34mm I think.

I've recently acquired some Rogue 75,85, & 95Lb dumbbells, and while I'm only using these for overhead press and drop sets on chest day I was intending to get 55's and 65's when they come back in stock. But I've been thinking I should find an alternative with smaller handle sizes since I'll be curling these. I've sent out a couple emails to ask for the handle diameter, it's not always stated.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    From what I remember, the vintage York dumbbell designs have really thin handles. The bun, blob, and globe style.

A lot of SDH/Prostyle generic handles are often around 1" to 1.1" or 26mm to 28mm. There are ergo and straight designs you can look at, the ergos are thinner in some areas.

I prefer the opposite, 1.5" (38mm) thicker handles.
    Last edited by ampire; 05-04-2020 at 12:23 PM.

Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by PCRulesPSDrools View Post
    ...I'm sure I don't have small hands...
    You may want to check that because a 1" diameter is very small for proper grip.
    ▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #61 ▪█──█▪

radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Mech6 View Post
    Agreed. I wear a medium glove, which puts my hands on the smaller end of the spectrum, and 1" isn't great for curling.

PCRulesPSDrools will become famous soon enough. (+50) PCRulesPSDrools will become famous soon enough. (+50) PCRulesPSDrools will become famous soon enough. (+50) PCRulesPSDrools will become famous soon enough. (+50) PCRulesPSDrools will become famous soon enough. (+50) PCRulesPSDrools will become famous soon enough. (+50) PCRulesPSDrools will become famous soon enough. (+50) PCRulesPSDrools will become famous soon enough. (+50) PCRulesPSDrools will become famous soon enough. (+50) PCRulesPSDrools will become famous soon enough. (+50) PCRulesPSDrools will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    38mm ? Wow, I'd feel like my fingers were being pried off the bar by the time I finish a set. What weight are you guys curling with those handle sizes ? I'm curling 65's max, and that's feeling too heavy for me after a long hiatus between when they closed the gym and when I got some gear and a routine going again.

Originally Posted by Mech6 View Post
    Well, I've got some solid Hex dumbbells and a couple sets of the spin on standard dumbbells and they are 100 % 1" handles. Maybe they're girls dumbbells ? lol I dunno but I like them. I'd need to take a death grip to hold onto 38mm handles for curls I think.

ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you want thin handles, SDH can be really thin I had a set of chrome ergo grip SDH4 handles that were so thin they seemed to flex and vibrate harmonically like a tuning fork when I moved them around. You'd need to find some pancake plates as well and possibly endcaps, though for curl dumbbells it might be better to have the typical washer and countersunk bolt instead.

Edit:
    https://yorkbarbell.com/product/york...handles-sdh-2/ 28mm all sizes
    https://www.ironcompany.com/cap-barb...mbbell-handles 28mm all sizes
    https://www.newyorkbarbells.com/sdh.html These look pretty thin because the weight loading portion appears the same diameter as the grip
    https://www.exercise-equipment-parts...to-422540.html These are only 1.08" thick grip (27.4mm), pretty thin.
    https://www.adamantbarbell.com/1206-...tyle-dumbbells or components https://www.adamantbarbell.com/1050-...yle-dumbbells/ 27mm but Adamant is shut due to Coronavirus.
    Last edited by ampire; 05-05-2020 at 07:16 AM.

Originally Posted by ampire View Post
    If you want thin handles, SDH can be really thin I had a set of chrome ergo grip SDH4 handles that were so thin they seemed to flex and vibrate harmonically like a tuning fork when I moved them around. You'd need to find some pancake plates as well and possibly endcaps, though for curl dumbbells it might be better to have the typical washer and countersunk bolt instead.

Edit:
    https://yorkbarbell.com/product/york...handles-sdh-2/ 28mm all sizes
    https://www.ironcompany.com/cap-barb...mbbell-handles 28mm all sizes
    https://www.newyorkbarbells.com/sdh.html These look pretty thin because the weight loading portion appears the same diameter as the grip
    https://www.exercise-equipment-parts...to-422540.html These are only 1.08" thick grip (27.4mm), pretty thin.
    https://www.adamantbarbell.com/1206-...tyle-dumbbells or components https://www.adamantbarbell.com/1050-...yle-dumbbells/ 27mm but Adamant is shut due to Coronavirus.
    Wow you've done some footwork for me. The Cap and Troy look like a decent design. But I'm trying to wrap my head around the mechanics of it. It's not truly adjustable is it? Judging by the pictures you're basically able to load a set number of plates onto it and any fewer and they'll be free to slide back and forth.

Originally Posted by PCRulesPSDrools View Post
    Wow you've done some footwork for me. The Cap and Troy look like a decent design. But I'm trying to wrap my head around the mechanics of it. It's not truly adjustable is it? Judging by the pictures you're basically able to load a set number of plates onto it and any fewer and they'll be free to slide back and forth.
    Yeah exactly. It's not adjustable, Only suggested this as a route to go because a lot of dumbbell sets come with 32mm+ handles. You could instead order fully assembled prostyle dumbbells that have a small diameter handle like 27mm or 28mm from certain companies such as Troy.

I sometimes adjust mine as I get stronger or do different exercises but its a time consuming nuisance, I don't torque them as tight and use some grease on the bolt but I don't really recommend this.

You can make them yourself, but its not entirely straightforward. You'd need to find a cheap supply of pancake plates.

The SDH-# refers to the amount of loading space on each end.
    SDH1 - .5"
    SDH2 - 1.25"
    SDH3 - 2"
    SDH4 - 2.75"
    SDH5 - 3.5"
    SDH6 - 4.5"
    SDH7 - 5.25"
    SDH8 - 6"

Off the top of my head, the 10lb 1" standard "pancake" plates are something like .88" thick and the 7.5lb plates are like .85" thick. So you multiply the number of plates and their respective thickness. If the plates are slightly thinner than normal, you will run into problems such as at 50 lbs determining if you should use an SDH2 or SDH3. The simpler way to do it is to use the # to correspond to the number of 10s you plan to use on each side, however you might have a 2.5 hanging out over the end only secured by the bolt torque so you want to torque it really tight and use loctite. Another solution with thinner plates is use a 1" steel washer on each side before you put the first plate on.

You want to have the total plate stack slightly taller than the loading space on the SDH handle. Otherwise you won't be able to torque them tight and the plates will be loose.

Endcaps aren't really necessary, the handles usually come with a countersunk machine screw 5/8"-18 (fine thread) x2" long and a countersunk washer. If using just the screw and washer, you can use the donut shaped 2.5lb platemates and only build 30,40,50,60 and so on to save space and reduce cost.

If you want a finished look, you can use endcaps, they look nice, help them sit on your thighs when pressing, and add a bit extra weight to the handle as well to help round up a 3lb handle to 5lbs.

https://youtu.be/yc3e3SD_Y7Y
    https://youtu.be/wCehR-i9Aco

Last edited by ampire; 05-05-2020 at 06:17 PM.

LOL they wouldn't dare just make the pancake plates all the same thickness. That would make adjustability too simple. I'm giving these strong consideration though. The only thing pulling me in the other direction is the aesthetics of having my dumbbells match. May still just wait for Rogue to restock and get the rest even with the big handles. Thanks for the info, when I make the buy I'll post what I went with.

DarthCholo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DarthCholo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DarthCholo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DarthCholo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DarthCholo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DarthCholo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DarthCholo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DarthCholo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DarthCholo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DarthCholo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DarthCholo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I've enjoyed the middle of the road iron master handles at 1.25inch/31.75mm handles. I have medium hands and it doesn't hurt my hands when pressing heavy or doing heavy rows. If I ever pressed heavy enough to hurt my hand would probably wear gloves to help, and for rows you could try straps if too thick.

Found Cemco Urethane Dumbbells. I think I might pick up my 55's & 65's from them. 32 mm
    Last edited by PCRulesPSDrools; 05-17-2020 at 05:39 PM.