Page 3 of 139 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast
    dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Nara62629 View Post
    Mirin', gf plays it 24/7. Seems like Bejeweled 2.0
    ChemE in education, SoftwareE in job

Live slow, Die whenever SLOTH LIFE

HotChuven is a name known to all. (+5000) HotChuven is a name known to all. (+5000) HotChuven is a name known to all. (+5000) HotChuven is a name known to all. (+5000) HotChuven is a name known to all. (+5000) HotChuven is a name known to all. (+5000) HotChuven is a name known to all. (+5000) HotChuven is a name known to all. (+5000) HotChuven is a name known to all. (+5000) HotChuven is a name known to all. (+5000) HotChuven is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by BTC1556 View Post
    Friend will be graduating from A&M in Petro. Got a job offer for $110k/year with $12k signing bonus - he's my age. Put the work in and it'll pay off brahs. Never forget that.
    Brah, what company? 40hrs/week? Operator? I need a job like this, help me with them Houston jobs.
    * Civil Engineering

* Everyone is natty in 2013

* On dat lean bulk tyme'

* Men's Physique Competitor

arekieh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) arekieh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) arekieh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) arekieh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) arekieh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) arekieh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) arekieh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) arekieh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) arekieh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) arekieh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) arekieh is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by HotChuven View Post
    Brah, what company? 40hrs/week? Operator? I need a job like this, help me with them Houston jobs.
    Calgary + Upstream (Wells: Drilling, Completions, Reservoir) = $$$$$$$$$$$$
    Don't need to go to Houston
    Shaking Manuel Crew

BTC1556 is a name known to all. (+5000) BTC1556 is a name known to all. (+5000) BTC1556 is a name known to all. (+5000) BTC1556 is a name known to all. (+5000) BTC1556 is a name known to all. (+5000) BTC1556 is a name known to all. (+5000) BTC1556 is a name known to all. (+5000) BTC1556 is a name known to all. (+5000) BTC1556 is a name known to all. (+5000) BTC1556 is a name known to all. (+5000) BTC1556 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    40 hours a week with every other Friday off... if I remember him telling me correctly. It's an office job but I think he will be out in the field quite a lot, which IMO is one of the cool things about Petroleum. What makes you so set on Houston? Houston engineering jobs a lot of the time an be very oil-related (although I'm sure you already know that).

Edit: You said you have offshore experience, so that answers my question. My apologies! One of the reasons he was able to land the job was because of how good A&M can be for networking.
    Last edited by BTC1556; 12-10-2013 at 07:43 PM.
    ▄██▄
    (° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    ►•◄

Message Board King TheTherapist's Avatar
    TheTherapist is just really nice. (+1000) TheTherapist is just really nice. (+1000) TheTherapist is just really nice. (+1000) TheTherapist is just really nice. (+1000) TheTherapist is just really nice. (+1000) TheTherapist is just really nice. (+1000) TheTherapist is just really nice. (+1000) TheTherapist is just really nice. (+1000) TheTherapist is just really nice. (+1000) TheTherapist is just really nice. (+1000) TheTherapist is just really nice. (+1000)
    Fuarrkkkk. The City College of New York is only 7k a year AND has engineering programs. THIS IS IN MY RANGE MOTHER****ERS. Now I can think a little more realistically. My goal is to make really cool ****, either on my own or with a job. So I think that's leaning towards engineering more than physics itself. How did you guys decide which branch of engineering you wanted to do? Everything about what I really want to learn is leaning towards electrical but what do they do? I've always wanted to do astronautical as well because I think outer space is an electrical engineers playground.

But I still want to study physics...

Dude.Jon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dude.Jon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dude.Jon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dude.Jon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dude.Jon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dude.Jon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dude.Jon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dude.Jon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dude.Jon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dude.Jon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dude.Jon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    any tips for calculus of residues?

Disagree with a Marxist and you will be targeted as part of the problem.

HotChuven is a name known to all. (+5000) HotChuven is a name known to all. (+5000) HotChuven is a name known to all. (+5000) HotChuven is a name known to all. (+5000) HotChuven is a name known to all. (+5000) HotChuven is a name known to all. (+5000) HotChuven is a name known to all. (+5000) HotChuven is a name known to all. (+5000) HotChuven is a name known to all. (+5000) HotChuven is a name known to all. (+5000) HotChuven is a name known to all. (+5000)
    40 hours a week with every other Friday off... if I remember him telling me correctly. It's an office job but I think he will be out in the field quite a lot, which IMO is one of the cool things about Petroleum. What makes you so set on Houston? Houston engineering jobs a lot of the time an be very oil-related (although I'm sure you already know that).

Edit: You said you have offshore experience, so that answers my question. My apologies! One of the reasons he was able to land the job was because of how good A&M can be for networking.
    Yes I am looking for something similar, most graduates are as well though! And my university has decent connections for internships in Houston due to the offshore industry working closely with my school in Canada. The market is small here though, so there aren't many jobs. I have been applying to many jobs in Houston but haven't heard much back yet.
    * Civil Engineering

* On dat lean bulk tyme'

BTC1556 is a name known to all. (+5000) BTC1556 is a name known to all. (+5000) BTC1556 is a name known to all. (+5000) BTC1556 is a name known to all. (+5000) BTC1556 is a name known to all. (+5000) BTC1556 is a name known to all. (+5000) BTC1556 is a name known to all. (+5000) BTC1556 is a name known to all. (+5000) BTC1556 is a name known to all. (+5000) BTC1556 is a name known to all. (+5000) BTC1556 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yes I am looking for something similar, most graduates are as well though! And my university has decent connections for internships in Houston due to the offshore industry working closely with my school in Canada. The market is small here though, so there aren't many jobs. I have been applying to many jobs in Houston but haven't heard much back yet.
    Some of the best tips I've been given for this is to call rather than email. And when you talk to the person on the phone, make sure they know that you're legitimately excited and interested in the position. Make the recruiters like you, that is the sort of stuff that can go a long way!
    ▄██▄
    (° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    ►•◄

TXDStone is just really nice. (+1000) TXDStone is just really nice. (+1000) TXDStone is just really nice. (+1000) TXDStone is just really nice. (+1000) TXDStone is just really nice. (+1000) TXDStone is just really nice. (+1000) TXDStone is just really nice. (+1000) TXDStone is just really nice. (+1000) TXDStone is just really nice. (+1000) TXDStone is just really nice. (+1000) TXDStone is just really nice. (+1000)
    Friend will be graduating from A&M in Petro. Got a job offer for $110k/year with $12k signing bonus - he's my age. Put the work in and it'll pay off brahs. Never forget that.
    Mirin, in a few ways I regret switching out of PETE my sophomore year. His numbers are around what I've heard for a few others PETE's I know.

Originally Posted by Haasluv View Post
    in on new thread! hows finals ???
    Pchem this friday and Material Energy Balance as well
    Both done, **** almost hit the fan today when some idiot girl was studying this old professors final in the front row right in front of him before the exam started.

Originally Posted by arekieh View Post
    Mirin too. I'm hoping my field experience gained in the Permian Basin will increase my value to a company in the future.

Originally Posted by Dude.Jon View Post
    Never even heard of this, what course uses that?

Message Board King TheTherapist's Avatar
    TheTherapist is just really nice. (+1000) TheTherapist is just really nice. (+1000) TheTherapist is just really nice. (+1000) TheTherapist is just really nice. (+1000) TheTherapist is just really nice. (+1000) TheTherapist is just really nice. (+1000) TheTherapist is just really nice. (+1000) TheTherapist is just really nice. (+1000) TheTherapist is just really nice. (+1000) TheTherapist is just really nice. (+1000) TheTherapist is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by TheTherapist View Post
    Fuarrkkkk. The City College of New York is only 7k a year AND has engineering programs. THIS IS IN MY RANGE MOTHER****ERS. Now I can think a little more realistically. My goal is to make really cool ****, either on my own or with a job. So I think that's leaning towards engineering more than physics itself. How did you guys decide which branch of engineering you wanted to do? Everything about what I really want to learn is leaning towards electrical but what do they do? I've always wanted to do astronautical as well because I think outer space is an electrical engineers playground.

But I still want to study physics...
    How did you guys decide which branch you wanted to study?

Sensei Squat is just really nice. (+1000) Sensei Squat is just really nice. (+1000) Sensei Squat is just really nice. (+1000) Sensei Squat is just really nice. (+1000) Sensei Squat is just really nice. (+1000) Sensei Squat is just really nice. (+1000) Sensei Squat is just really nice. (+1000) Sensei Squat is just really nice. (+1000) Sensei Squat is just really nice. (+1000) Sensei Squat is just really nice. (+1000) Sensei Squat is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have just completed my first year of Bachelor of Science at uni. I am trying to decide whether to major in Chemistry or transfer to Engineering and do Chemical Engineering. The subjects I did this year will all be able to count towards my engineering degree. However, I have read people claiming to be chemists online saying that chemical engineers are more or less considered a pain to work with in the industry. I remember someone putting it something along the lines of 'they know just enough of everything to be annoying, but not useful'. Can anyone comment on this? Maybe it could be some of the chemists are annoyed as the chemical engineers usually get paid quite a bit more.

Thank you for any help!
    I'm not really a Sensei

mirinbrah247 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mirinbrah247 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mirinbrah247 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mirinbrah247 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mirinbrah247 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mirinbrah247 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mirinbrah247 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mirinbrah247 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mirinbrah247 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mirinbrah247 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mirinbrah247 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Dude.Jon View Post

Petty easy topic, though using multiple theorems to prove random things under exam conditions can be hard.

Once you start using the maths for fourier, laplace and z transforms it's much easier since it's pretty much just partial fractions and some (relatively) simple integration.

If you're talking about the pic in question, the answer is 0 since the cosine function is analytic within that contour (or any domain for that matter). See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauchy's_integral_theorem

High4Lyf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) High4Lyf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) High4Lyf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) High4Lyf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) High4Lyf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) High4Lyf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) High4Lyf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) High4Lyf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) High4Lyf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) High4Lyf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) High4Lyf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by High4Lyf View Post
    brahs higly interested in Petro/Mining or Ocean engineering

pros/cons for each? Already have a bachelors in Accounting
    bump brahs
    ''The fight is won or lost far away from the witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road; long before I dance under those lights.'' - Muhammad Ali

“Cus was a strong believer that in your mind you had to be the entity you wanted to be. If you wanted to be heavyweight champion of the world, you had to start living the life of a heavyweight champion…- iron mike

"'No' doesn't mean no, 'no' means work on the neck, the nipples, try back in five minutes" - a wise man

TXDStone is just really nice. (+1000) TXDStone is just really nice. (+1000) TXDStone is just really nice. (+1000) TXDStone is just really nice. (+1000) TXDStone is just really nice. (+1000) TXDStone is just really nice. (+1000) TXDStone is just really nice. (+1000) TXDStone is just really nice. (+1000) TXDStone is just really nice. (+1000) TXDStone is just really nice. (+1000) TXDStone is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by High4Lyf View Post
    bump brahs
    I would imagine as long as you're a good student with internships you'll be able to find something above decent with petro engineering.

I don't know too much about ocean engineering program at Texas A&M but I think it's relatively small. Both would probably be interesting but I would personally lean petro/mining engineering over ocean.

dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Welp. Crazy girl from my lab group from the other thread was at it again. Undid a ton of my edits to the lab report and ignored the things I said to do. I feel asleep around 9 this morning after working on some projects, didn't find out until after she turned it in. I looked at the turned-in version and cringed, it was the worst thing I've seen. She doesn't understand concepts at all and tried to write as much as she can and sound as technical as she can, which exacerbates the problem. I did a quick look-through and it was complete garbage, she ruined that report. Really basic conceptual stuff she got completely wrong and made wrong. Professor is going to shred that report apart.

Now claiming she doesn't want to put effort into the final presentation since 'she is the one who does 90% of the work'. I'm a really chilled-out guy, I got livid and for the first time in my life yelled at someone with the intent to put them in their place.

Here's to my grade in unit ops lab

ChemE in education, SoftwareE in job

Live slow, Die whenever SLOTH LIFE

flexin on dem h0s CheesasarusFlex's Avatar
    CheesasarusFlex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CheesasarusFlex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CheesasarusFlex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CheesasarusFlex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CheesasarusFlex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CheesasarusFlex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CheesasarusFlex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CheesasarusFlex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CheesasarusFlex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CheesasarusFlex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CheesasarusFlex is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by TheTherapist View Post
    How did you guys decide which branch you wanted to study?
    I wanted a job that either directly involved high-performance cars, or gave me the means to afford to work on them in my freetime...

Mechanical engineering and possibly doing automotive engineering in grad school will hopefully lead to working with companies in their high-performance division... or possibly, get involved with vehicle dynamics or something and work on a F1/ open-wheel racing team as a race engineer
    harDeath is our savior

Mechanical/ Automotive Engineering crew
    underground hip hop is real hip hop crew
    Once used talcum powder as snow for Matchbox Cars crew
    No cellular electronics left in fridge since: (02)(16)(13)

arekieh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) arekieh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) arekieh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) arekieh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) arekieh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) arekieh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) arekieh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) arekieh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) arekieh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) arekieh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) arekieh is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by dweeegs View Post
    Welp. Crazy girl from my lab group from the other thread was at it again. Undid a ton of my edits to the lab report and ignored the things I said to do. I feel asleep around 9 this morning after working on some projects, didn't find out until after she turned it in. I looked at the turned-in version and cringed, it was the worst thing I've seen. She doesn't understand concepts at all and tried to write as much as she can and sound as technical as she can, which exacerbates the problem. I did a quick look-through and it was complete garbage, she ruined that report. Really basic conceptual stuff she got completely wrong and made wrong. Professor is going to shred that report apart.

Now claiming she doesn't want to put effort into the final presentation since 'she is the one who does 90% of the work'. I'm a really chilled-out guy, I got livid and for the first time in my life yelled at someone with the intent to put them in their place.

[img]http://media.tumblr.com/b30e951cc688293950d7db80dfd83140/tumblr_inline_miibucBBRd1qz4rgp.gif[img]

Not looking forward to my next term, going to have a bunch of group projects too :/

Originally Posted by CheesasarusFlex View Post
    I wanted a job that either directly involved high-performance cars, or gave me the means to afford to work on them in my freetime...

Mechanical engineering and possibly doing automotive engineering in grad school will hopefully lead to working with companies in their high-performance division... or possibly, get involved with vehicle dynamics or something and work on a F1/ open-wheel racing team as a race engineer
    Coolest job in the world, gl
    Shaking Manuel Crew

I have been applying like mad to Calgary jobs, didn't even get an interview for the new graduates recruitment, only seems that people with oil ONLY internships got them, or were interns at that specific company.
    * Civil Engineering

* On dat lean bulk tyme'

Originally Posted by dweeegs View Post

[i.mg]http://media.tumblr.com/b30e951cc688293950d7db80dfd83140/tumblr_inline_miibucBBRd1qz4rgp.gif[/img]
    Sucks some people just don't get it

Restoring previous versions of a file on dropbox works well if one of your teammates messes something up (wouldn't have mattered in your case since she turned in changed version when you were asleep)

I don't know if your school has it but I would recommend Formula SAE if they do. A guy in one of my groups this semester participated in the team a year or two ago. He had several internships with Chrysler and is going to work there full time. He knew how to do so much practical and needed stuff that us other guys didn't know how to do that he learned how to do while doing Formula SAE.

I have been applying like mad to Calgary jobs, didn't even get an interview for the new graduates recruitment, only seems that people with oil ONLY internships got them, or were interns at that specific company.
    Damn man that sucks. Did you try applying to smaller companies too?
    Shaking Manuel Crew

-=Zeus=-! has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=Zeus=-! has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=Zeus=-! has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=Zeus=-! has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=Zeus=-! has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=Zeus=-! has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=Zeus=-! has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=Zeus=-! has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=Zeus=-! has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=Zeus=-! has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=Zeus=-! has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Men, any youtube channel/website help for Discrete Math 1?

Course Description as its different from college to college:

Formal logic, sets, relations, functions, introduction to number theory and graph theory, basic counting principle, discrete probability, applications.

Damn man that sucks. Did you try applying to smaller companies too?
    Yeah man, the big companies get like 500+ applicants for each job.
    * Civil Engineering

* On dat lean bulk tyme'

Originally Posted by -=Zeus=-! View Post
    Men, any youtube channel/website help for Discrete Math 1?

Course Description as its different from college to college:

Formal logic, sets, relations, functions, introduction to number theory and graph theory, basic counting principle, discrete probability, applications.
    This might help
    http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrica...2005/index.htm
    Shaking Manuel Crew

flexin on dem h0s CheesasarusFlex's Avatar
    CheesasarusFlex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CheesasarusFlex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CheesasarusFlex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CheesasarusFlex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CheesasarusFlex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CheesasarusFlex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CheesasarusFlex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CheesasarusFlex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CheesasarusFlex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CheesasarusFlex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CheesasarusFlex is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    ^Word yo I am on my school's FSAE team.. unfortunately we can only afford to compete in the hybrid division. Still cool as fuark.

Wish I knew FEA so I could help my team more. Might try learning over break

Originally Posted by Jeep01 View Post
    2nd year Mechanical Engineer checking in. Goal is to work in the auto industry for one of the big 3.
    Wordd
    harDeath is our savior

Mechanical/ Automotive Engineering crew
    underground hip hop is real hip hop crew
    Once used talcum powder as snow for Matchbox Cars crew
    No cellular electronics left in fridge since: (02)(16)(13)

CycloneDude has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CycloneDude has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CycloneDude has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CycloneDude has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CycloneDude has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CycloneDude has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CycloneDude has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CycloneDude has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CycloneDude has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CycloneDude has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CycloneDude has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Sensei Squat View Post
    I have just completed my first year of Bachelor of Science at uni. I am trying to decide whether to major in Chemistry or transfer to Engineering and do Chemical Engineering. The subjects I did this year will all be able to count towards my engineering degree. However, I have read people claiming to be chemists online saying that chemical engineers are more or less considered a pain to work with in the industry. I remember someone putting it something along the lines of 'they know just enough of everything to be annoying, but not useful'. Can anyone comment on this? Maybe it could be some of the chemists are annoyed as the chemical engineers usually get paid quite a bit more.

Thank you for any help!
    What? All the chemists that are here are just quality control folks. They don't do anything besides that. Other than the sole PhD that does random R&D stuff. The jobs are entirely different.

Sensei Squat is just really nice. (+1000) Sensei Squat is just really nice. (+1000) Sensei Squat is just really nice. (+1000) Sensei Squat is just really nice. (+1000) Sensei Squat is just really nice. (+1000) Sensei Squat is just really nice. (+1000) Sensei Squat is just really nice. (+1000) Sensei Squat is just really nice. (+1000) Sensei Squat is just really nice. (+1000) Sensei Squat is just really nice. (+1000) Sensei Squat is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by CycloneDude View Post
    What? All the chemists that are here are just quality control folks. They don't do anything besides that. Other than the sole PhD that does random R&D stuff. The jobs are entirely different.
    I realise the jobs are entirely different, however the chemists online seemed to not like having to communicate and deal with chemical engineers. I am assuming this might happen when chemical engineers need the guidance of chemists, as the chemists would have a superior knowledge of chemistry.

Thank you for your reply!
    I'm not really a Sensei

CycloneDude has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CycloneDude has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CycloneDude has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CycloneDude has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CycloneDude has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CycloneDude has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CycloneDude has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CycloneDude has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CycloneDude has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CycloneDude has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CycloneDude has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I realise the jobs are entirely different, however the chemists online seemed to not like having to communicate and deal with chemical engineers. I am assuming this might happen when chemical engineers need the guidance of chemists, as the chemists would have a superior knowledge of chemistry.

Thank you for your reply!
    I wouldn't see why they wouldn't like to communicate with chemical engineers. I know I'm not an expert in metallurgy so I would talk to the mechanical engineers for reliability purposes, and I'm horrible at control logic so I would go to an ICE for help. I mean, if they have questions about the process design and stuff I would be more than happy to help. No one person can know every single thing. It just seems like a superiority complex. They know the lab, they are better at it and people concede to it, but that's why they are there.

I guess to me the only reason I can think of that would annoy chemists is just like explaining your unit to someone who has no clue what it does. It would get tiresome after a bit.
    Last edited by CycloneDude; 12-12-2013 at 04:18 AM.

Originally Posted by CycloneDude View Post
    I wouldn't see why they wouldn't like to communicate with chemical engineers. I know I'm not an expert in metallurgy so I would talk to the mechanical engineers for reliability purposes, and I'm horrible at control logic so I would go to an ICE for help. I mean, if they have questions about the process design and stuff I would be more than happy to help. No one person can know every single thing.
    From what I read it seemed to be the chemists complaining the the chemical engineers acting like they knew better than the chemists in the chemistry. In other words thinking they were better than the chemists and did not know enough about each field to be very useful as they are taking on knowledge of both chemistry and engineering instead of specializing in one or the other. This perhaps made them think they were very knowledgeable in each field, when they were not.

If any chemical engineers are reading this, I am not endorsing what I posted I am just wondering if anyone has experienced this in the industry. These are comments made by random people online claiming to be chemists, other people in the same threads also stuck up for chemical engineers.
    I'm not really a Sensei

From what I read it seemed to be the chemists complaining the the chemical engineers acting like they knew better than the chemists in the chemistry. In other words thinking they were better than the chemists and did not know enough about each field to be very useful as they are taking on knowledge of both chemistry and engineering instead of specializing in one or the other. This perhaps made them think they were very knowledgeable in each field, when they were not.

If any chemical engineers are reading this, I am not endorsing what I posted I am just wondering if anyone has experienced this in the industry. These are comments made by random people online claiming to be chemists, other people in the same threads also stuck up for chemical engineers.
    I was a chemistry major that switched to chemical engineering. Chemistry major =/= chemical engineering major. Chemical engineers need to know the science behind the reactions, but they don't need to synthesize something from scratch. Instead, they figure out how to mass produce it by varying compositions, temperatures, flows, pressures, etc. Chemical engineers also have to figure out equipment sizing and what they need to pass constraints. Chemists may show you what needs to be done on lab scale to get the product you want, but a chemical engineer has to figure out how to mass produce it by designing and manipulating the process.

Just in short, chemistry has a small role for chemical engineering. We need to know how and why it happens, but that's pretty much it. It's always much easier to do things in smaller scale. For instance, I can easily build a small model of the Sears (Willis) tower, but to build a full scale one is a massive accomplishment. That's why they are paid more, and that's why a chemist can't be a chemical engineer and vice versa.

Edit: I would also like to point out another reason why chemical engineers are paid more is because chemical engineers own the process. Their decisions greatly affect the safety of others. They have a high responsibility to not mess up. Breaking glassware and cutting yourself (although bad) is nothing in comparison to over pressurizing a vessel and catching someone in the line of fire because you were negligent on running the equipment correctly and you undersized the relief valve.
    Last edited by CycloneDude; 12-12-2013 at 05:10 AM.

Xaviesta11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xaviesta11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xaviesta11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xaviesta11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xaviesta11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xaviesta11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xaviesta11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xaviesta11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xaviesta11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xaviesta11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xaviesta11 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Faurking in for lurking. Just finished 1st semester. Long way to go.
    ★☆ Never flex in public crew ★☆

2006 GSX-R600