Page 139 of 139 FirstFirst ... 39 89 129 137 138 139
Results 4,141 to 4,155 of 4155
    cncman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cncman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cncman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cncman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cncman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cncman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cncman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cncman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cncman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cncman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cncman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by joofdisciple View Post
    Fuark barely a sophomore with good grades in all my stem courses, planned on going ME or EE, but I can't even imagine myself on the level some of you guys are at... very discouraging
    once you finish you wonder wtf you can even do lol. grad school was even worse for my faith in education

joofdisciple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joofdisciple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joofdisciple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joofdisciple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joofdisciple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joofdisciple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joofdisciple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joofdisciple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joofdisciple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joofdisciple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joofdisciple is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    The only thing that gives me some faith is that I can probably get internship opportunities here in California, and I have family support to not worry too much about $$

Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by M0hi View Post
    I have heard wherever you get your first job tends to "anchor" you into the similar field or work and wanted to know if you guys felt this is true?

First two months I am generally applying to my most desired/competitive positions AKA the exact job I want. So Orthopedic R&D/Product dev positions at Stryker in Florida/Illinois, Texas, Arizona (in order of preference). But I'm really open to anywhere except Northeast and Cali (side-business conflicts).

If nothing is working out starting March I'll be applying to quality engineering positions with the same company/location criteria. I have no beef with quality engineering, the skillset would actually be very useful to my side-business. Priority is location and work that I am confident at and enjoy (anything to do with bones/joints and/or medical devices).

And if nothing has worked out by April, I'll suck it up and apply for anything and everything I can.

Am I going about this the wrong way?
    IME, this has not been the case. Here is my work experience:

Internships: 2 Summers at a defense contractor where the majority of the work was big switched-mode power supplies
    Job 1: Oil & gas working on downhole sensors.
    Job 2: Defense working on tactical equipment (x-ray source controllers, cameras, etc)
    Job 3: Commerical marine working on multi-function displays and transducers

Wildly different fields on wildly different types of products. Of course, all jobs required me to know/understand analog electronics. However, I'm currently doing a lot of work on transducers. I never would have thought I would be working on something like this, but they asked me if I would be ok with helping the main transducer engineer and I said yes. I literally knew close to nothing about transducers (other than the basic stuff that most EE/ME would probably know). This has been a pretty common theme in my jobs where I also actively seek and say yes to learning new technical skills that are not "in my wheelhouse", so to speak (I actually wouldn't say I have any wheelhouse, other than broadly analog electronics). I've never had difficulties getting interviews in any kind of field I wanted to, so IDK. Maybe as you get further in your career it matters or for very specific/niche things.

All of my job roles have been R&D/design (because that's what I like), but I've applied, interviewed, and received offers for anything from test engineer to sales engineer to marketing. I've tried to build a pretty broad set of skills as well, which probably helps. I am an EE, but I took a lot of ME classes as well (8 of them). In my first real job, part of the reason i was hired was that I had so much ME stuff (and I ended up getting to use some of it). I also did a lot of self study on my own as well when I was in school and when I got out and started working. I'm also a fairly well-rounded individual (very good in social situations, etc), which helps as well, I'm sure.

So basically, no, I don't think you have to worry about being pigeon-holed to an industry, job role, or whatever else you may be worried about if you don't want to be. That doesn't necessarily mean it will be easy, though. BME is a bit "niche", even though (as you said) it is basically a mash up of EE/ME. But if other industries can hire a full EE or ME, you might find it a bit more difficult if you were to try and go to another industry, at least initially.

As far as starting out in QA and switching to R&D, I certainly think it's harder to go into R&D than from R&D to another job role (I think it's generally harder to go up in technical difficulty, which would be the case here). With that being said, it's your first "real" job, so it's not the end of the world. Where it starts to get trickier is if you get caught a little flat footed and end up doing QA for 5 years or something. At that point, you might find it more difficult. In general, the sooner you can start building the type of experience that reflects how you would like your career to be constructed, the better. But a first job out of college, I wouldn't worry too much, just make sure you work towards getting the job you do want.

As far as switching from QA to R&D within the same company, I haven't seen these types of things generally play out well, unless you can make the switch early enough. I know guys who were techs and got a degree who then switched job roles. They were always called on for old job related things because they had so much experience in their old roles. I think it would probably be a better idea to try and get a fresh start at a different company. With that being said, every company and culture will be different. If you get the opportunity, ask about and try to talk to other employees within the company who made the change and see what their experience has been like.

I think it makes sense to apply for a broader range of jobs when you're first coming out of college. As you gain more experience and develop a sense of what you like/don't like and where you want your career to go, you will likely develop a preference and be pickier in where and what positions you decide to apply for.

I was typing between games of Overwatch, so sorry if it doesn't read smoothly or my thoughts not coherent, but hope it helps! Good luck!
    Gal Gadot Crew
    JLo Crew
    Katheryn Winnick Crew

15thPeak is a name known to all. (+5000) 15thPeak is a name known to all. (+5000) 15thPeak is a name known to all. (+5000) 15thPeak is a name known to all. (+5000) 15thPeak is a name known to all. (+5000) 15thPeak is a name known to all. (+5000) 15thPeak is a name known to all. (+5000) 15thPeak is a name known to all. (+5000) 15thPeak is a name known to all. (+5000) 15thPeak is a name known to all. (+5000) 15thPeak is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Anyone else take the PE exam in April?

Took the Civil Construction exam, wondering how others felt about their exam.

colonelcross is a name known to all. (+5000) colonelcross is a name known to all. (+5000) colonelcross is a name known to all. (+5000) colonelcross is a name known to all. (+5000) colonelcross is a name known to all. (+5000) colonelcross is a name known to all. (+5000) colonelcross is a name known to all. (+5000) colonelcross is a name known to all. (+5000) colonelcross is a name known to all. (+5000) colonelcross is a name known to all. (+5000) colonelcross is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm thinking about taking the FE. I graduated with my master's in Geological Engineering in 2015 and haven't used anything since, but now I'm out of the Army and looking at Construction Project Manager positions. There isn't too much demand for geological engineers here in Colorado, it seems.
    "A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood" - General George S. Patton

cncman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cncman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cncman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cncman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cncman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cncman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cncman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cncman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cncman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cncman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cncman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by colonelcross View Post
    I'm thinking about taking the FE. I graduated with my master's in Geological Engineering in 2015 and haven't used anything since, but now I'm out of the Army and looking at Construction Project Manager positions. There isn't too much demand for geological engineers here in Colorado, it seems.
    itll pick up just hunker down. Easier said than done, I know.

Muztek is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muztek is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muztek is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muztek is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muztek is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muztek is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muztek is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muztek is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muztek is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muztek is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muztek is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    wsup homies, started my engineering studies this year,

going to major in electrical, feeslfkin good!
    ayylmao

lordpatrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lordpatrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lordpatrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lordpatrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lordpatrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lordpatrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lordpatrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lordpatrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lordpatrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lordpatrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lordpatrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Electronics engineer here.

Feel free to consult me for advice.

I work mostly in industrial companies. I started as an automation engineer in a telecom company, then I became a system engineer in the defense sector. I am currently a hardware engineer in the automobile industry. I have on purpose aimed to diversify my skill sets. I have majored in Data Science, but have 0 experience in that domain to this date.

I'm definitely eyeballing an MBA in the near future to grind bigger positions easily.

SouthDakotaBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SouthDakotaBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SouthDakotaBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SouthDakotaBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SouthDakotaBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SouthDakotaBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SouthDakotaBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SouthDakotaBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SouthDakotaBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SouthDakotaBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SouthDakotaBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Muztek View Post
    wsup homies, started my engineering studies this year,

going to major in electrical, feeslfkin good!
    Welcome to the EE crew. What specialty?

narak1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) narak1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) narak1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) narak1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) narak1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) narak1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) narak1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) narak1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) narak1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) narak1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) narak1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Finally got my first " electrical engineering job. Basically use autocad/revvit to design buildings for architects. lights, receptacles, power transfer.

any advice on how to get better? im only 9 months in. seems like I need to learn up on the NEC code

joofdisciple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joofdisciple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joofdisciple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joofdisciple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joofdisciple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joofdisciple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joofdisciple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joofdisciple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joofdisciple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joofdisciple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joofdisciple is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    **** bros feels ****ing terrible, coming into my sophomore year I'm taking DQ, linear, and Physics, withdrew from Linear and failed DQ and physics... Figured I could load up on diff classes but ****s been tough since my brother passed this summer, completely ****ed up my gpa.

Edit: Been having trouble finding my drive and concentrating in lecture most days, no excuse though.

SouthDakotaBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SouthDakotaBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SouthDakotaBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SouthDakotaBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SouthDakotaBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SouthDakotaBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SouthDakotaBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SouthDakotaBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SouthDakotaBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SouthDakotaBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SouthDakotaBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by joofdisciple View Post
    **** bros feels ****ing terrible, coming into my sophomore year I'm taking DQ, linear, and Physics, withdrew from Linear and failed DQ and physics... Figured I could load up on diff classes but ****s been tough since my brother passed this summer, completely ****ed up my gpa.

Edit: Been having trouble finding my drive and concentrating in lecture most days, no excuse though.
    You're going through one of the most difficult experiences a human can go through in life. Be easy on yourself for a little while and know that things will get better, and that you'll have a whole career ahead of you to solve challenges. I can only imagine the difficulty you're going through right now, but I know the strength you acquire from your life experiences will make you a better engineer (and more effective being, in general). Keep your drive strong and you'll make it through.

fate0311 is not very well liked. (-100) fate0311 is not very well liked. (-100) fate0311 is not very well liked. (-100) fate0311 is not very well liked. (-100) fate0311 is not very well liked. (-100) fate0311 is not very well liked. (-100) fate0311 is not very well liked. (-100) fate0311 is not very well liked. (-100) fate0311 is not very well liked. (-100) fate0311 is not very well liked. (-100) fate0311 is not very well liked. (-100)
    had to withdraw from Calc II....FML....at it again in the spring.

my professor wasn't the greatest though I do not blame solely that. I will say he did refuse to teach u-substitution.....I had to watch Professor Leonard videos to supplement the class...however I ended up falling behind as my professor for some reason wouldn't follow the book.

He used his own methods of solving integration.....hard to explain....anyway FML.

However the good news is I have an A in Physics I...and I can still take Statics, Materials Science, Physics of Matter (Physics II) all in the spring as they only require Calc II as a co-req....so I guess it hasn't really hindered my progress.
    Kevin 'in n out' Brennan crew

GrammarNaziM8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrammarNaziM8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrammarNaziM8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrammarNaziM8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrammarNaziM8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrammarNaziM8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrammarNaziM8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrammarNaziM8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrammarNaziM8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrammarNaziM8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrammarNaziM8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Man, I'm just so sad. I'm in my 3rd year. Worked hard to get a good gpa, 85%.
    I do good in all of the classes hut when it comes to applying to co op internships.

**** sucks.
    I've applied at the start of the semester and I was looking forward to it but I still haven't found anything.

I've only gotten one interview and that was the very first one I applied to.

But they didn't call back. Nobody else did and this is for a co op (internship).

Can't imagine what the fuk it's gonna be like once I graduate with a useless chitty ass degree.

Classes aren't even hard for me. I get marks way above class average. But now, I can't stand it.

Fuk engineering.
    ⭐⭐⭐***Pullups crew***⭐⭐⭐
    ***Ariana Grande is my 10/10 crew***
    ***Hip-Hop crew crew***
    *** 5'8" manlet crew***
    *** The Weeknd/ XOXO CREW ***
    ***I don't neg and never have crew***
    ***STAND UP AND PROSPER CREW***
    MOD NEGS: 3

Muztek is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muztek is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muztek is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muztek is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muztek is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muztek is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muztek is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muztek is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muztek is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muztek is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muztek is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by SouthDakotaBrah View Post
    Welcome to the EE crew. What specialty?
    yo bro!
    not entirely sure, still first year.
    at first i wanted to specialise towards embedded systems and electronics, then after learning a little about AC circuit analysis, im pumped up to potentially go towards power and energy.
    tbh, majority of areas of EE interest me, it's ****ing wild how cool this **** is.

any type of job in energy i would 100% be down with, no matter if its power transmission, automation, control, systems engineering, etc.
    got any advice for me bro? can PM if need be.
    ayylmao