cc0nn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How to Build Muscle with a Heart Issue?

Since birth Ive had a bicuspid aortic valve as well as a dilated aortic root. This makes heavy lifting potentially dangerous for me. I asked my cardiologist what I can do as far as weight lifting and he said "low weights, 3 sets of 20 reps."

Does anyone know of any effective muscle-building exercises I can do that focus on high reps and low weights? Ive been working out with dumbbells recently.

mahc8765 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mahc8765 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mahc8765 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mahc8765 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mahc8765 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mahc8765 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by cc0nn View Post
    Since birth Ive had a bicuspid aortic valve as well as a dilated aortic root. This makes heavy lifting potentially dangerous for me. I asked my cardiologist what I can do as far as weight lifting and he said "low weights, 3 sets of 20 reps."

Does anyone know of any effective muscle-building exercises I can do that focus on high reps and low weights? Ive been working out with dumbbells recently.
    You can do any exercise like that.
    Bench press
    squats
    romanian dead lifts
    hamstring curls
    lunges
    shoulder press
    bent over rows
    lat raises
    reverse dumbbell flies

EPMD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EPMD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EPMD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EPMD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EPMD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EPMD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EPMD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EPMD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EPMD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EPMD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EPMD has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If 5-10 rep sets are being discouraged then I don't know why 20 rep sets would be any better. The more reps you do, the more cardiovascular in nature your training will be. So your cardiologist's advice is a bit confusing to me, unless they intend for the low weights to be so low that you are hardly challenged.

Of course, you pay them and not me, so you would be wise to follow their advice.

jdaddymma is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdaddymma is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdaddymma is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdaddymma is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdaddymma is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdaddymma is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdaddymma is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdaddymma is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdaddymma is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdaddymma is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdaddymma is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by EPMD View Post

Of course, you pay them and not me, so you would be wise to follow their advice.
    This, I would also avoid squats and lunges due to the cardiovascular stress of the two lifts

Coccodrillo747 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Coccodrillo747 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Coccodrillo747 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Coccodrillo747 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Coccodrillo747 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Coccodrillo747 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Coccodrillo747 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Coccodrillo747 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Coccodrillo747 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Coccodrillo747 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Coccodrillo747 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by EPMD View Post
    If 5-10 rep sets are being discouraged then I don't know why 20 rep sets would be any better. The more reps you do, the more cardiovascular in nature your training will be. So your cardiologist's advice is a bit confusing to me, unless they intend for the low weights to be so low that you are hardly challenged.

I would say sudden raise in blood pressure from to a heavier lift, not so much beats per minute.

jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by cc0nn View Post

I have an ASD (atrial spetal defect) that I found out about long after I had had my heart rate over 200 when deadlifting, etc.

That doesn't mean anything to you since you have a different diagnosis...

If your doctor says 3x20, then you goal is to start at the bottom and work up to 3x20 with heavy weights. If you are deliberate and attentive, you can make gains without hurting yourself. It may take longer, but it will be worth it.
    "Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret."

Training regularly but no progress?
    You need one or more of these: more food, more weight, more reps or more rest.

Check out: www.muscleandbrawn.com