AdrianAve will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdrianAve will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdrianAve will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdrianAve will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdrianAve will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdrianAve will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdrianAve will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdrianAve will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdrianAve will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdrianAve will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdrianAve will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Lightbulb Where to add Rear Delts and Traps

Hey Guys,

I'm having trouble finding the best spot for my rear delt and trap exercises.
    First of all, is it necessary to do isolation exercises for them if i deadlift twice a week? (Also 2 rowing movements and lat pulldown/pullup)

I currently have a split of 3.

Chest/Triceps
    Back/Biceps
    Shoulders/Legs

At the moment i do butterfly reverse on my back day because the rear delts are quite active when working out back.
    The day after, i do shoulders and finish off with shrugs for my traps.

My problem:

I also use my traps on my back day and then hit them directly and hard the next day. Is this a problem?
    What do you think..

Registered User ChristheNatural's Avatar
    ChristheNatural has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChristheNatural has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChristheNatural has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChristheNatural has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChristheNatural has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChristheNatural has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChristheNatural has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChristheNatural has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChristheNatural has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChristheNatural has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChristheNatural has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I recommend you train your front and side delts w/ your chest and triceps. I suggest you train your upper traps and rear delts w/ your back and biceps. I also recommend you train your lower back w/ your legs, considering it is heavily involved in squats and stiff-legged deadlifts.
    Day 1- Quads, Hamstrings, Calves, and Abs (including glutes, lower back, adductors, and abductors) (Leg Day- the lower-body kick/crunch muscles)
    Day 2- Chest, Delts(front and side), and Triceps (Push Day- the upper-body push muscles)
    Day 3- Back(Lats+Midback), Upper Traps, Rear Delts, Biceps, and Forearms (Pull Day- the upper-body pull muscles)

Registered User mikegilbert1986's Avatar
    mikegilbert1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikegilbert1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikegilbert1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikegilbert1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikegilbert1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikegilbert1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikegilbert1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikegilbert1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikegilbert1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikegilbert1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mikegilbert1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You can put the two either back/shoulders day. The split im doing now i hit rears with shoulders and traps with back.

Clintw1976 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clintw1976 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clintw1976 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clintw1976 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clintw1976 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clintw1976 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clintw1976 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clintw1976 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clintw1976 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clintw1976 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clintw1976 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I put them on back and biceps day which is also my PULL day. They get hit pretty hard when rowing anyway.
    Trying to add muscle! BULK I think the term is....................SLOWLY!

Current 1RM

Dead 400
    Bench 242
    Squat 315

Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by AdrianAve View Post
    Hey Guys,

I'm having trouble finding the best spot for my rear delt and trap exercises.
    First of all, is it necessary to do isolation exercises for them if i deadlift twice a week? (Also 2 rowing movements and lat pulldown/pullup)

I currently have a split of 3.

Chest/Triceps
    Back/Biceps
    Shoulders/Legs

At the moment i do butterfly reverse on my back day because the rear delts are quite active when working out back.
    The day after, i do shoulders and finish off with shrugs for my traps.

My problem:

I also use my traps on my back day and then hit them directly and hard the next day. Is this a problem?
    What do you think..
    Not really @ traps.

And nobody cares where you put any exercise. There's no "best spot".

Clintw1976 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clintw1976 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clintw1976 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clintw1976 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clintw1976 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clintw1976 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clintw1976 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clintw1976 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clintw1976 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clintw1976 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clintw1976 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Krugg View Post
    Not really @ traps.

Nice help there! Some people care.
    Trying to add muscle! BULK I think the term is....................SLOWLY!

Current 1RM

Dead 400
    Bench 242
    Squat 315

Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by Clintw1976 View Post
    Nice help there! Some people care.
    You misunderstood what I meant by "nobody cares".

Per Deum, Ego Invictus ODoyle99's Avatar
    ODoyle99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ODoyle99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ODoyle99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ODoyle99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ODoyle99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ODoyle99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ODoyle99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ODoyle99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ODoyle99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ODoyle99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ODoyle99 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Put a few sets of rear delt flyes whenever you want--with back or with shoulders.
    My thoughts on isolating traps is it's unnecessary. I've never isolated traps and they grow with all the indirect work. Also, my friend really wanted to isolate traps but I wouldn't let him and made him deadlift and OHP heavy and they're growing just as much as he wanted.
    B: 320
    S: 435
    D: 510
    OHP (Strict): 210
    Front Squat (ATG): 315

AdrianAve will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdrianAve will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdrianAve will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdrianAve will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdrianAve will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdrianAve will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdrianAve will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdrianAve will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdrianAve will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdrianAve will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdrianAve will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks for all the replies guys!

Originally Posted by ChristheNatural View Post
    I recommend you train your front and side delts w/ your chest and triceps. I suggest you train your upper traps and rear delts w/ your back and biceps. I also recommend you train your lower back w/ your legs, considering it is heavily involved in squats and stiff-legged deadlifts.
    Day 1- Quads, Hamstrings, Calves, and Abs (including glutes, lower back, adductors, and abductors) (Leg Day- the lower-body kick/crunch muscles)
    Day 2- Chest, Delts(front and side), and Triceps (Push Day- the upper-body push muscles)
    Day 3- Back(Lats+Midback), Upper Traps, Rear Delts, Biceps, and Forearms (Pull Day- the upper-body pull muscles)
    i think i wouldn't be able to hit my delts properly after doing chest. I'm pretty exhausted and struggling to even finish off my triceps.

Originally Posted by Clintw1976 View Post
    I put them on back and biceps day which is also my PULL day. They get hit pretty hard when rowing anyway.
    Both? rear delts and traps? My Back day is already pretty long, don't think there's room for another 2 exercises :/

Originally Posted by Krugg View Post
    Not really @ traps.

yeah, thanks bro

Originally Posted by ODoyle99 View Post
    Put a few sets of rear delt flyes whenever you want--with back or with shoulders.
    My thoughts on isolating traps is it's unnecessary. I've never isolated traps and they grow with all the indirect work. Also, my friend really wanted to isolate traps but I wouldn't let him and made him deadlift and OHP heavy and they're growing just as much as he wanted.
    my buddy also never isolated them but is deadlifting heavy as f. twice a week and they are growing quite nicely...

Per Deum, Ego Invictus ODoyle99's Avatar
    ODoyle99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ODoyle99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ODoyle99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ODoyle99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ODoyle99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ODoyle99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ODoyle99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ODoyle99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ODoyle99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ODoyle99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ODoyle99 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by AdrianAve View Post
    my buddy also never isolated them but is deadlifting heavy as f. twice a week and they are growing quite nicely...
    Exactly, they'll grow just fine without isolation. Deadlift and overhead press heavy and you're golden. If you still want to isolate them, do 1-2 sets of shrugs after you deadlift. But it's unnecessary
    B: 320
    S: 435
    D: 510
    OHP (Strict): 210
    Front Squat (ATG): 315

ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I train them both with shoulders. You could also do them with back. Either one is ok.

As for the shrugs are unnecessary advice, don't agree at all. Some people have sloping shoulders and their traps pop more. Maybe those people don't need shrugs. Those with naturally wider shoulders certainly need shrugs to get them to stand out. The advice to not shrug is akin to avoiding curls for biceps. It's bad advice for most. Not doing rear delt work is also a poor idea (both for injury prevention and for shoulder shape), unless maybe we are talking about complete beginners. Remember that to keep growing, muscles will need more stimulation over time, not less.
    Who was this love of yours?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Shrugs are a lifesaver for me - neck pain caused by benching / overhead pressing magically went away when I started doing them. If you don't think you need them for aesthetic reasons, do them for long term shoulder health.