boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Installing mirrors in garage gym

Ok so i have some questions for the ones that have installed mirrors in there home/garage gym
    What all did you use? Before i install mine i was just going to put liquid nails on the back then use mirror clips and put them on the wall standing on the edging of the garage the mirror is almost 4' wide by 6' tall.

so issues im worried about are with garage @ door shutting hard (it doesn't line up right) opening and shutting have you guys ever had a issue with a mirror falling off the edge or anything? From the info gathered from a few local shops they said it would be good just with glue and clips into the drywall but i wanted to see if anyone has had issues placing mirrors so close to the garage door you know. Thanks
    Heavy bags DonT HIT back, it takes more than a gym membership to compete in the RING or Cage!
    6 time golden glove champion, 2nd at ringside worlds
    *Mac the Champ*
    USMC 0311/ OEF 2010
    SEMPER FI

Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by boxinggsxr View Post
    Ok so i have some questions for the ones that have installed mirrors in there home/garage gym
    What all did you use? Before i install mine i was just going to put liquid nails on the back then use mirror clips and put them on the wall standing on the edging of the garage the mirror is almost 4' wide by 6' tall.

so issues im worried about are with garage @ door shutting hard (it doesn't line up right) opening and shutting have you guys ever had a issue with a mirror falling off the edge or anything? From the info gathered from a few local shops they said it would be good just with glue and clips into the drywall but i wanted to see if anyone has had issues placing mirrors so close to the garage door you know. Thanks
    I would be very hesitant to glue it. But then again, if it does break I guess you can just replace the drywall...
    []---[] Equipment Crew #37 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #3 ()---()

“You want science and studies? **** you. I’ve got scars and blood and vomit.”
    -Wendler

2MoreRepz is a name known to all. (+5000) 2MoreRepz is a name known to all. (+5000) 2MoreRepz is a name known to all. (+5000) 2MoreRepz is a name known to all. (+5000) 2MoreRepz is a name known to all. (+5000) 2MoreRepz is a name known to all. (+5000) 2MoreRepz is a name known to all. (+5000) 2MoreRepz is a name known to all. (+5000) 2MoreRepz is a name known to all. (+5000) 2MoreRepz is a name known to all. (+5000) 2MoreRepz is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I bought the 3x5 mirrors from Home Depot. Each one comes with 6 clips...once they are locked in they aren't going anywhere. Unless your squat rack falls into them while being assembled, which happened to me by the way.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #47
    ()---() York Barbell Club #46 (DD) ()---()

During the last few reps of a true 20RM squat, just do what Jesus tells you.--Mark Rippetoe

Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cleveland33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by 2MoreRepz View Post
    I bought the 3x5 mirrors from Home Depot. Each one comes with 6 clips...once they are locked in they aren't going anywhere. Unless your squat rack falls into them while being assembled, which happened to me by the way.
    next time check the free section of your CL - you might be surprised how many people give mirrors away.

I don't know what it is, but people have them and just get rid of them. My girlfriend does interior design and staging and our collection of free mirrors is sickening

-Wendler

2MoreRepz is a name known to all. (+5000) 2MoreRepz is a name known to all. (+5000) 2MoreRepz is a name known to all. (+5000) 2MoreRepz is a name known to all. (+5000) 2MoreRepz is a name known to all. (+5000) 2MoreRepz is a name known to all. (+5000) 2MoreRepz is a name known to all. (+5000) 2MoreRepz is a name known to all. (+5000) 2MoreRepz is a name known to all. (+5000) 2MoreRepz is a name known to all. (+5000) 2MoreRepz is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Wish I would have thought of that, I spent $130 on mirrors and now one is broke!
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #47
    ()---() York Barbell Club #46 (DD) ()---()

During the last few reps of a true 20RM squat, just do what Jesus tells you.--Mark Rippetoe

King of All Standards SkinnySquats's Avatar
    SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by 2MoreRepz View Post
    I have the same mirrors. They also sell an aluminum 'J' tray. I attached that to the wall and the mirrors sit in the tray. Upgraded the plastic clips to heavier duty clips, no glue needed.
    RARE. VTG. HTF.

()---() York Barbell Club #42 ()---() []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #39 []---[]

irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SkinnySquats View Post
    I have the same mirrors. They also sell an aluminum 'J' tray. I attached that to the wall and the mirrors sit in the tray. Upgraded the plastic clips to heavier duty clips, no glue needed.
    I made a wooden tray for the bottom and the top in my woodshop, the two trays are attached all the way across, so no need for clips.
    Sig line can't be a novel

boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i used the clips on my two 3x3 mirrors and they havent fallen or anything but with this one being a lil over 6ft i was kind of nervous about it but i hadnt thought of the tray ideas those sound awesome do you guys have any pics?

also this week i'll be isntalling my peg board so i can finally clean it all up and start building more equipment
    Heavy bags DonT HIT back, it takes more than a gym membership to compete in the RING or Cage!
    6 time golden glove champion, 2nd at ringside worlds
    *Mac the Champ*
    USMC 0311/ OEF 2010
    SEMPER FI

Seatard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Seatard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Seatard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Seatard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Seatard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Seatard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Seatard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Seatard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Seatard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Seatard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Seatard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I think large plate glass mirrors, which are in a location with an increased chance of being broken, should also be attached with mirror adhesive. A lot more of the glass will stay attached to the wall if broken rather than potentially all of it coming down at once with just clips or channel. Its a judgement call if one thinks the extra caution is necessary.

twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by irongrandpa;116d5838453
    I made a wooden tray for the bottom and the top in my woodshop, the two trays are attached all the way across, so no need for clips.
    This is what I do. If it's a big mirror, take a straight 2x4 and make a notch to hold the mirror, then place one on the wall, put mirror in and the 2nd one on top to keep it from falling out. I make sure the notch is bigger than the mirror as there is no reason to pinch the mirror glass.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do, than by the ones you did" Mark Twain

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H. L. Mencken

[]---[] Equipment Crew #42 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #18 ()---()

TheDougOut is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheDougOut is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheDougOut is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheDougOut is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheDougOut is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheDougOut is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheDougOut is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheDougOut is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheDougOut is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheDougOut is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheDougOut is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Check out the attached photos.

HomeDepot and Lowes stock vinyl lattice dividers for deck building. The tracks are perfect for mounting mirrors. They come in 8' lengths for around $7.50, and come in many colors.

I mount the bottom rail using screws and black plastic screw caps on each stud. I then set the top rail on the bottom, mark the locations for the screws, predrill, and start one screw. I then set the mirror in the bottom track, set the top rail on top, then screw the started screw in to hold the mirror while I finish the other screws.

These looks great, and they're easy to move around if you ever rearrange your equipment. I just installed another 3x4 mirror last night using this technique.
    Attached Images

cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by TheDougOut View Post

HomeDepot and Lowes stock vinyl lattice dividers for deck building. The tracks are perfect for mounting mirrors. They come in 8' lengths for around $7.50, and come in many colors.

I mount the bottom rail using screws and black plastic screw caps on each stud. I then set the top rail on the bottom, mark the locations for the screws, predrill, and start one screw. I then set the mirror in the bottom track, set the top rail on top, then screw the started screw in to hold the mirror while I finish the other screws.

These looks great, and they're easy to move around if you ever rearrange your equipment. I just installed another 3x4 mirror last night using this technique.
    That looks good!

that's awesome; they look great. Any concern about a weight limit though? Mirror weigh a lot more than lattice, I guess with the upper rail keeping the mirror vertical it won't create too much force pushing out and potentially pulling the screw through.

-Wendler

TheDougOut is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheDougOut is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheDougOut is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheDougOut is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheDougOut is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheDougOut is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheDougOut is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheDougOut is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheDougOut is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheDougOut is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheDougOut is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Cleveland33 View Post
    Any concern about a weight limit though?
    Not at all... and if you go pick one of these up you'll know why. They're vinyl, but they're heavy and rigid. With a screw at every stud, it creates a strong horizontal edge for the mirror to rest against. I suspect the screws would fail before the rails ever would. I've always just used 2" external screws.

I forgot to mention, when I drill for the screws, I do so just below the center line, so the screw doesn't pinch-open the "H" from over-tightening.

Not at all... and if you go pick one of these up you'll know why. They're vinyl, but they're heavy and rigid. With a screw at every stud, it creates a strong horizontal edge for the mirror to rest against. I suspect the screws would fail before the rails ever would. I've always just used 2" external screws.

I forgot to mention, when I drill for the screws, I do so just below the center line, so the screw doesn't pinch-open the "H" from over-tightening.
    I don't doubt that they are heavy, but vinyl is a soft enough material that screws can "pull through" in certain applications. I have seen vinyl shutters pull through the screws in high wind. I guess if you just rested them in the channel on the bottom it might be a concern, but with the upper rail it keeps the force perpendicular.

-Wendler

Originally Posted by Cleveland33 View Post
    I don't doubt that they are heavy, but vinyl is a soft enough material that screws can "pull through" in certain applications. I have seen vinyl shutters pull through the screws in high wind. I guess if you just rested them in the channel on the bottom it might be a concern, but with the upper rail it keeps the force perpendicular.
    I gotcha... but I think you're right about the force. Since the weight is pushing down, the screw is actually resting against the center of the "H". Even if the force was pulling "out", I think it would take A LOT of force to pull a screw through one of these (at least the HomeDepot version, which is what I use). I've done 3' x 5' mirrors, which are quite heavy, and had no concerns.

BDTrr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BDTrr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BDTrr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BDTrr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BDTrr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BDTrr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BDTrr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BDTrr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BDTrr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BDTrr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BDTrr has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Do it right and drill your clips into the studs. I wouldn't glue anything to drywall.

Mine are mounted with these clips and they're solid as a rock. You can even slide the mirror a bit left or right if you want to adjust it.

SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by boxinggsxr View Post
    i used the clips on my two 3x3 mirrors and they havent fallen or anything but with this one being a lil over 6ft i was kind of nervous about it but i hadnt thought of the tray ideas those sound awesome do you guys have any pics?

also this week i'll be isntalling my peg board so i can finally clean it all up and start building more equipment
    Not a great pic, but you get the idea. The tray is aluminum and sold in the same area as the mirrors. Use the self tapping screw if going straight into drywall. I think I drilled extra holes so I could screw into studs.

RARE. VTG. HTF.

It's called a mirror 'J' channel and looks like this. You only need one for the bottom, use the clips for the side and top. No glue. There's more than one way to skin a cat, but I like this option because it distributes the weight of the mirrors across the entire channel.

RARE. VTG. HTF.