Page 74 of 75 FirstFirst ... 24 64 72 73 74 75 LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,220 of 2222

Thread: CS major crew

************************* ************************* ************************* ************************* ************************* ************************* ********** ************************* ******* BuildUpNow's Avatar
    BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Twice11 View Post
    I've been unemployed for almost two years now, since I graduated. It's not easy unless you're willing to relocate.
    Those two years of unemployment are really going to hurt you. Yes, relocation is quite difficult but it's likely necessary for you at this point. Don't let those 2 years turn into 4 or 5 or else you'll likely never work in the industry.
    wait wut

Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Goblin 6,

If you have the skills apply anyhow. Please understand that those years of experience they are asking for is just part of a wish list.
    When it comes to rep power, just remember this. Better red than dead. Your reps mean squat in real life. Just thank the lord that you have your health.

Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Charlie Murphy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by BuildUpNow View Post
    Those two years of unemployment are really going to hurt you. Yes, relocation is quite difficult but it's likely necessary for you at this point. Don't let those 2 years turn into 4 or 5 or else you'll likely never work in the industry.
    I don't get people who aren't willing to relocate.

Strong too attached to mom/peaked in high school mentality.
    When it comes to rep power, just remember this. Better red than dead. Your reps mean squat in real life. Just thank the lord that you have your health.

Wafae will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wafae will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wafae will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wafae will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wafae will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wafae will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wafae will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wafae will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wafae will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wafae will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wafae will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I am in cc planning to transfer as CS major next year. I can't wait to study things that I actually care about. I am working as a web developer intern while taking classes and I enjoy my job 100 times then classical mechanics or calculus 2 ugh

eonbre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eonbre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eonbre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eonbre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eonbre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eonbre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eonbre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eonbre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eonbre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eonbre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eonbre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Is specializing in something like Backend web developing using Ruby on Rails good idea or i need to know everything?
    And can one find job in USA or what is best country money wise for developers and move there?

EasTexan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EasTexan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EasTexan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EasTexan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EasTexan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EasTexan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EasTexan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EasTexan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EasTexan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EasTexan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EasTexan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Twice11 View Post
    I've been unemployed for almost two years now, since I graduated. It's not easy unless you're willing to relocate.
    Bruh, DFW, move.

Gronnie is a name known to all. (+5000) Gronnie is a name known to all. (+5000) Gronnie is a name known to all. (+5000) Gronnie is a name known to all. (+5000) Gronnie is a name known to all. (+5000) Gronnie is a name known to all. (+5000) Gronnie is a name known to all. (+5000) Gronnie is a name known to all. (+5000) Gronnie is a name known to all. (+5000) Gronnie is a name known to all. (+5000) Gronnie is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you have a CS degree and are unemployed not by choice you are doing it wrong
    Principal Engineer
    CS Crew

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlston Heston

^so much that. Even self taught or bootcamp.

21stCenturyKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) 21stCenturyKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) 21stCenturyKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) 21stCenturyKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) 21stCenturyKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) 21stCenturyKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) 21stCenturyKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) 21stCenturyKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) 21stCenturyKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) 21stCenturyKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) 21stCenturyKid will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I can not understand companies hiring "bootcamp" graduates; there is absolutely no way you can become a rock-solid software engineer or even developer in such a quick amount of time. These bootcampers maybe learn the framework of the day, but outside of this narrow sphere of knowledge they are worthless. It just astonishes me how low the bar has been set; where are these companies getting all of this money to throw around on useless people and their $60K+ a year salary? Not to say that they are all useless, but I would estimate 80% have zero business writing any sort of software.
    Last edited by 21stCenturyKid; 11-13-2017 at 11:34 AM.

************************* ************************* ************************* ************************* ************************* ************************* ********** ************************* ******* BuildUpNow's Avatar
    BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Gronnie View Post
    If you have a CS degree and are unemployed not by choice you are doing it wrong
    I'll somewhat disagree with this. Competition for entry level positions is quite high and you even get devs with 5+ yrs exp applying. Without some prior exp even if it's internships you will be at a severe disadvantage.

Originally Posted by 21stCenturyKid View Post
    I can not understand companies hiring "bootcamp" graduates; there is absolutely no way you can become a rock-solid software engineer or even developer in such a quick amount of time. These bootcampers maybe learn the framework of the day, but outside of this narrow sphere of knowledge they are worthless. It just astonishes me how low the bar has been set; where are these companies getting all of this money to throw around on useless people and their $60K+ a year salary? Not to say that they are all useless, but I would estimate 80% have zero business writing any sort of software.
    $60k is nothing and for simpler front end development they just want people who can get things done. So self taught or bootcamp coders can have an advantage. The problem is they lack fundamental understanding so they'll never progress and will be stuck bouncing around from company to company as a lowly front end coder. This hurts recent grads trying to enter the job market as they are competing with guys who on paper appear to be more qualified.
    wait wut

Ascendent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ascendent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ascendent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ascendent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ascendent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ascendent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ascendent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ascendent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ascendent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ascendent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ascendent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by EasTexan View Post
    Bruh, DFW, move.
    For serious.

There's nothing but jobs here.
    United States Marine Corps [Sep. '01 - Mar. '13]

Instagram: charles_uncaged

WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000) WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000) WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000) WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000) WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000) WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000) WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000) WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000) WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000) WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000) WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Machine learning seems to be all the rage these days. I'm thinking of doing the ML "nanodegree" at Udacity. Though, I'm a little worried about the math prereqs. It's been 15 years since I graduated with my B.S. in CS, and I'm afraid I can't do math any more. They didn't have ML when I did my degree, so I'm a little clueless about would be the math prereqs even be.

Does anybody know? Note, that I'm more interested in ML from a practical standpoint and not from an academic, theoretical one. Hopefully, the Udacity program is a more practical program.

goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by WWE-TicK View Post
    Machine learning seems to be all the rage these days. I'm thinking of doing the ML "nanodegree" at Udacity. Though, I'm a little worried about the math prereqs. It's been 15 years since I graduated with my B.S. in CS, and I'm afraid I can't do math any more. They didn't have ML when I did my degree, so I'm a little clueless about would be the math prereqs even be.

Does anybody know? Note, that I'm more interested in ML from a practical standpoint and not from an academic, theoretical one. Hopefully, the Udacity program is a more practical program.
    Interested in this as well. The math won't be any more difficult than the Calculus or Linear Algebra you took. But given the time gap it can still be a daunting proposition. I'm clsse to 15yrs past my degree as well and it puts me in a difficult position. I can't go back to uni for a Masters since they won't count my credits do to their age. So I'm left with bootcamps but they vary quite a bit in their programs. It seems like a lot gloss over the math and rather just have you implement pre existing tech and algos.

DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by WWE-TicK View Post

Probability is the basis. Bayes theorem and the like. My probability course had lots of calculus, Laplace transforms, and linear algebra.

Theory wise I'd say you atleast have to know Gaussian distributions inside and out to do ML but I may be wrong.
    keep hustling cuz

Registered User jumpingOffACurb's Avatar
    jumpingOffACurb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jumpingOffACurb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jumpingOffACurb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jumpingOffACurb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jumpingOffACurb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jumpingOffACurb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jumpingOffACurb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jumpingOffACurb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jumpingOffACurb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jumpingOffACurb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jumpingOffACurb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey bros,

Currently in community college.
    Transferring as a CS major.

Current language I'm learning is C++

WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000) WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000) WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000) WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000) WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000) WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000) WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000) WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000) WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000) WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000) WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by jumpingOffACurb View Post
    Hey bros,

Currently in community college.
    Transferring as a CS major.

Current language I'm learning is C++

#NeverTooLate

WanabeNewton is on a distinguished road. (+10) WanabeNewton is on a distinguished road. (+10) WanabeNewton is on a distinguished road. (+10) WanabeNewton is on a distinguished road. (+10) WanabeNewton is on a distinguished road. (+10) WanabeNewton is on a distinguished road. (+10) WanabeNewton is on a distinguished road. (+10) WanabeNewton is on a distinguished road. (+10) WanabeNewton is on a distinguished road. (+10) WanabeNewton is on a distinguished road. (+10) WanabeNewton is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Transferring to a small private university in January. Official declared major is Biostatistics which is a whole bunch of stats with a decent amount of Comp Sci and Biology thrown in. Debating between sticking with this or switching over to a Comp Sci Major. I am mostly interested in Computational theory and machine learning in terms of Comp Sci.

Have only taken a intro to programming course but I have Calc 1-3 and Differential equations done.

joecayse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joecayse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joecayse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joecayse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joecayse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joecayse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joecayse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joecayse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joecayse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joecayse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joecayse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Funny question for you guys, maybe. I'm doing a M.S. in cyber security, and I'm learning a lot of high-level strategy, management, etc but I really want to get into the down and dirty with actually doing the hacking part.
    After I graduate I want to test for CEH because I feel like knowing the offense at least at an intermediate level will help in really understanding security solutions/strategy. What are some good resources where I can start practicing, maybe on some VM's or something?

Registered User SwaggerMcdaniel's Avatar
    SwaggerMcdaniel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwaggerMcdaniel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwaggerMcdaniel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwaggerMcdaniel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwaggerMcdaniel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwaggerMcdaniel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwaggerMcdaniel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwaggerMcdaniel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwaggerMcdaniel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwaggerMcdaniel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwaggerMcdaniel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i currently have a degree in environmental science, thinking about trying to pursue a degree in CS. my undergrad was kinda crappy GPA (2.7) but it is a BS from Rutgers so not too shabby. unfortunately it may be holding me back from getting into some masters programs. I have reached out to some programs to see if they would consider some professional experience and am currently eyeing NJIT. for rutgers, i read some people actually went back to school to pursue a second bachelors and that it only took 2 years. Some people say that is a waste of time though. Wondering if there are any masters programs that would accept me and take some of my science credits with me having to only take a few CS courses to fulfill requirements.
    destiny xbone misc crew

it piss

MrJensenn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MrJensenn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MrJensenn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MrJensenn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MrJensenn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MrJensenn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MrJensenn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MrJensenn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MrJensenn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MrJensenn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MrJensenn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by joecayse View Post
    Funny question for you guys, maybe. I'm doing a M.S. in cyber security, and I'm learning a lot of high-level strategy, management, etc but I really want to get into the down and dirty with actually doing the hacking part.
    After I graduate I want to test for CEH because I feel like knowing the offense at least at an intermediate level will help in really understanding security solutions/strategy. What are some good resources where I can start practicing, maybe on some VM's or something?
    You want to do pentesting or malware analysis and reverse engineering?

joecayse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joecayse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joecayse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joecayse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joecayse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joecayse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joecayse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joecayse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joecayse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joecayse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joecayse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by MrJensenn View Post
    You want to do pentesting or malware analysis and reverse engineering?
    Pentesting is what's really got my interest at the moment.

ryan0931 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ryan0931 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ryan0931 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ryan0931 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ryan0931 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ryan0931 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ryan0931 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ryan0931 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ryan0931 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ryan0931 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ryan0931 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Currently studying at a CC for my 3rd year and planning to transfer next fall. Also moved from pt to full-time at a retail job, now a manager. The job, workplace, and people I work with is so fun and causing me to lose focus from CS/school.

Honestly I never really really had a passion for programming. I understand concepts quite easily and enjoy completing assignments, etc. I never really had a drive to program in spare time though. Only when I need to get assignments done.

Anyone feel the same their first few years of programming when following a school program? Just been doing the basics for a while now, most I've done is a data structures course which was actually fun.

Is it possible to step away from school for a semester before I transfer? Will my units stay on record?

My options are quitting my retail job, request fewer hours at work, or continue working full time while pulling off a successful semester.

Another option can either fail or work well, take a semester off from school and just work. Hopefully it'll bring some motivation to work harder in school when I go back or it'll just make me lazy to return to studies.

Don't know what to do right now brahs

FartExplosion has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FartExplosion has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FartExplosion has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FartExplosion has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FartExplosion has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FartExplosion has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FartExplosion has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FartExplosion has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FartExplosion has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FartExplosion has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FartExplosion has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I'm gonna be starting Uni in Australia in March. I'll be going into an unrelated field since I fuarked around too much in high school and couldn't get accepted, but I plan to make the switch to computer science once I have enough creds and am satisfied with my maths skills. Wish me luck, brahs.

Oh, yeah. Maths. I'm not terrible at maths per se, in fact I'm pretty good, but I was a straight B student. Think I can do alright if I treat study like a nine-to-five job?

Should probs mention that I'm in Australia. The job market ain't so great here, not even for construction which is supposedly booming at the moment down here in SA. That's what I've been doing. It'd be crazy for Australia to not capitalise on the tech market, but as of right now it's kinda nonexistent. A cousin of mine went to a reputable Uni and walked away with first-class honours, but he's never gotten a job in his life. Maybe that's because he jumped straight into his master's and forgot to make himself employable. His mother, my aunt, was one of the first people to ever do a comp sci degree, and she can only get work in teaching TAFE courses on programming. As I said before, Australia's job market is pretty fragile, and I'm worried I won't be able to even secure any internships. If I graduate and have to start working at the help desk, then so be it. I don't want to stay there for the rest of my life like most helpless saps. What's the CS market like in Australia?

Last thing I should mention is my social life. I've never really had much of one. I was the weird autistic kid. I hated everyone and cut class all the time. Big mistake, lol, but we've all got our regrets. I know what I've been doing wrong and have made a helluva lot of steps to not be a strong contender for the Sperglord Olympics. But I realise I'm kinda jumping off into the deep end, being a future CS major and all. I still wanna party and hook up with hot sloots... in moderation, lol. I know my degree comes first. I'm thinking of joining the Uni's footy or volleyball club for starters, maybe volunteer now and then. Should probably mention that I'll be starting Uni in my early twenties and that I'm a virgin, though I did manage to make out with a chick from work last year, lol. Hey, it's something. How'd you all manage a decent social life with a freakin' CS major of all things?

Anyways, I look forward to being poor and living on my own. It'll be a nice change from being poor and living with my mum, lol. Smell ya later, misc.

MrJensenn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MrJensenn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MrJensenn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MrJensenn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MrJensenn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MrJensenn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MrJensenn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MrJensenn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MrJensenn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MrJensenn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MrJensenn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by joecayse View Post
    Pentesting is what's really got my interest at the moment.
    Look for capture the flag hacking on google/duckduckgo.

goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goblin6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ryan0931 View Post
    Currently studying at a CC for my 3rd year and planning to transfer next fall. Also moved from pt to full-time at a retail job, now a manager. The job, workplace, and people I work with is so fun and causing me to lose focus from CS/school.

Honestly I never really really had a passion for programming. I understand concepts quite easily and enjoy completing assignments, etc. I never really had a drive to program in spare time though. Only when I need to get assignments done.

Anyone feel the same their first few years of programming when following a school program? Just been doing the basics for a while now, most I've done is a data structures course which was actually fun.
    I felt the same way as assignments were too basic to really spark any interest. This persisted throughout my education though and when I graduated I went down a different career path.

Is it possible to step away from school for a semester before I transfer? Will my units stay on record?
    Yes and yes. You should be following IGETC if you are transferring to a CSU/UC school.

My options are quitting my retail job, request fewer hours at work, or continue working full time while pulling off a successful semester.

Another option can either fail or work well, take a semester off from school and just work. Hopefully it'll bring some motivation to work harder in school when I go back or it'll just make me lazy to return to studies.

Don't know what to do right now brahs
    I wouldn't advise taking a semester off. You'll find it harder to get back into schooling. Or at least it was for me. I took a semester off for financial reasons and when I returned I simply lacked any passion or drive. I did manage to complete my degree but then let it rot unused for a decade. Now that I'm trying to get a dev job I'm finding it extremely difficult to get any response back from employers. Ultimately you'll know what's best for you- where your priorities and desires lie.

ryan0931 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ryan0931 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ryan0931 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ryan0931 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ryan0931 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ryan0931 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ryan0931 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ryan0931 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ryan0931 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ryan0931 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ryan0931 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You're right I've got to make the decision, but you telling me your situation helps a bit. I'll probably continue working full time while studying full time for my last semester at this CC. Try my best to handle them both correctly.

Going to try and start random projects that could interest me over this winter break

sinfulengineer is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You're right I've got to make the decision, but you telling me your situation helps a bit. I'll probably continue working full time while studying full time for my last semester at this CC. Try my best to handle them both correctly.

Going to try and start random projects that could interest me over this winter break
    Feel like programming isn't really fun until you're building something you want to build, that's what I've learned in my experience

21stCenturyKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) 21stCenturyKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) 21stCenturyKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) 21stCenturyKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) 21stCenturyKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) 21stCenturyKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) 21stCenturyKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) 21stCenturyKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) 21stCenturyKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) 21stCenturyKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) 21stCenturyKid will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Freelancing is a solid methodology at improving your software development skills, only second to having your own projects.

Pick up a few easy side-jobs worth $200 - $400, and the clients requirements may (or may not) indirectly force you to learn a new tool set or language. Examples are:

Client needs a simple GUI -> Time to crack open the C# + WinForm documents.

Client needs a script to scrape data from "x" site -> Time to crack open the Python + BeautifulSoup documents.

Client needs to implement a cryptocurrency ticker into his website -> Time to bring out Javascript + whichever cryptocurrency API.

If you have a strong grasp of computation fundamentals, like many of you CS students should, tip-toeing from technology to technology is easy. Freelancing seems to be a way to earn while you learn; a very effective combination to say the least.

XLovesBush will become famous soon enough. (+50) XLovesBush will become famous soon enough. (+50) XLovesBush will become famous soon enough. (+50) XLovesBush will become famous soon enough. (+50) XLovesBush will become famous soon enough. (+50) XLovesBush will become famous soon enough. (+50) XLovesBush will become famous soon enough. (+50) XLovesBush will become famous soon enough. (+50) XLovesBush will become famous soon enough. (+50) XLovesBush will become famous soon enough. (+50) XLovesBush will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just wanted to chime in, about to finish 2nd semester at a good university as a CS major. For all those asking I feel like the best place to start is assembly language. It sucks a lot but it makes all the other programming languages make much more sense. From there I would move to C and then C++ and then whatever languages you prefer from there. Finally starting to understand the inner workings of C and C++ after learning computer architecture and assembly language.

DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by XLovesBush View Post
    Just wanted to chime in, about to finish 2nd semester at a good university as a CS major. For all those asking I feel like the best place to start is assembly language. It sucks a lot but it makes all the other programming languages make much more sense. From there I would move to C and then C++ and then whatever languages you prefer from there. Finally starting to understand the inner workings of C and C++ after learning computer architecture and assembly language.
    brb implementing "hello world" in x86 assembly as first program lol.

I disagree with this because you need to know a decent amount of computer architecture/machine organization before you can even really start understanding assembly.

Too much overhead for beginners who are trying to wrap their heads around things like functions calls, recursion, and arrays.
    keep hustling cuz