Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Dogs.

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Cara0915 View Post
    I REALLY REALLY want a Shiba Inu, have
    for years. Not sure if I can handle another super furry dog though lol
    They have a terrible reputation but that's because people underestimate their exercise need and overestimate the need for socialization (they NEED it desperately, right from day 1 if possible). Mine has always been a darling!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=GKCiyw1YT_I

theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Wyomann View Post
    Pretty sure the dog on the right is a miniature lion with a dog head.
    Which probably explains why it looks at me with contempt when I yell "FETCH".

UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Cara0915 View Post
    I REALLY REALLY want a Shiba Inu, have
    for years. Not sure if I can handle another super furry dog though lol
    Originally Posted by sonti View Post
    They have a terrible reputation but that's because people underestimate their exercise need and overestimate the need for socialization (they NEED it desperately, right from day 1 if possible). Mine has always been a darling!

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage]
    Sonti-

That is such a great vid!! Adorable!

Speaking of this breed:

Fierce Fluffalo GruffalosUnited's Avatar
    GruffalosUnited is a name known to all. (+5000) GruffalosUnited is a name known to all. (+5000) GruffalosUnited is a name known to all. (+5000) GruffalosUnited is a name known to all. (+5000) GruffalosUnited is a name known to all. (+5000) GruffalosUnited is a name known to all. (+5000) GruffalosUnited is a name known to all. (+5000) GruffalosUnited is a name known to all. (+5000) GruffalosUnited is a name known to all. (+5000) GruffalosUnited is a name known to all. (+5000) GruffalosUnited is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by paiger0321 View Post
    Greyhound greyhound greyhound greyhound! They're the sweetest, goofiest, most ridiculous and affectionate breed you could ask for. Low-medium energy, easy keepers, and you're saving a life when you adopt one! They are, however, bed hogs...
    Apart from that, you could not ask for a better dog. They love people, are generally good with other dogs (my first grey even played gently with my ferret), and will love you until the end of time.
    I'm a huge fan but the husband is not.

Originally Posted by LaurenNicolee View Post
    I love my schnauzer! I've also had dachshunds and they're really great too! But I say go to a resume or if you know what breed you want like a Bassett hound, there are Bassett hound shelters. But yeah I've heard most dogs who are rescued are really appreciative when you bring them home. I'm not sure how true it is but it's what I heard.

This isn't too helpful but there's this show called Too Cute and the narrator goes on about the origin of the breed and what they were bred for and if they're known to be more of a family dog, etc. I guess you could look all of that up but it's more fun looking at cute puppies.

I'm so not helpful on here lol but I figure you should decide if you want a big dog or a smaller one.
    Love that show. I can't stop myself from "awe"ing the whole time. My husband wants a dachshund so he can have it wear a hot dog costume.

-.-

I really love my Shiba Inu but it's not a suitable breed for California unless you are in colder mountains. He sleeps in -25 and hides in the house in the summer.

I agree with the retired greyhound suggestion
    Those are absolutely adorable. I'm in northern CA so it's a bit cooler than down south but I still get super hot summers... not an option.

I will begin looking at petfinder. Are the people on there reputable? Are there some rescue locations I should stay away from?

Lonegirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lonegirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lonegirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lonegirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lonegirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lonegirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lonegirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lonegirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lonegirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lonegirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lonegirl will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by GruffalosUnited View Post
    Don't female dogs get their 'time of the month' and smear it everywhere
    Spaying at 6 ish months and you won't have that problem. Better for the dog too.

As a vet tech I love and see soooo many breeds. Personally I love Goldens....they are so often so stoic. As beautiful as Shepherds are ...I find too often they are fear biters. Shar Peis....too aggressive and so many skin and potential eye (entropian) issues.
    Whatever you get I recommend Pet Insurance and have some back up cash just in case.
    It's never too late to become the fit, healthy person you were meant to be!

Lonegirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lonegirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lonegirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lonegirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lonegirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lonegirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lonegirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lonegirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lonegirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lonegirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lonegirl will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by poisonivvy View Post
    I've had adopted Weimaraners all my life. Just released our old boy to doggy heaven a week ago after 6 years with us, 13ish? Years in total.

Pros:
    Velcro doggies that love their humans
    Super, super, super smart
    Loves to be active and out and about with their human
    Short hair and only blow the coat twice per year
    Master hunters

Cons:
    Will find their own fun or trouble if not exercised and mind kept busy
    Can develop separation anxiety because of their Velcro Tendencies
    Super smart and can outsmart humans
    Can be described as needy or recreational barkers
    Needs their daily exercise
    Most will not tolerate critters in the house unless raised from a pup with (gerbils, hamsters, rabbits, cats, etc)
    Sorry for your loss of your pup.
    You must have lucked out. I find this breed to be the most beautiful, stupid, big baby breed I have come across. I haven't worked with a single one that made me want to get this breed. Beautiful though.

GruffalosUnited is a name known to all. (+5000) GruffalosUnited is a name known to all. (+5000) GruffalosUnited is a name known to all. (+5000) GruffalosUnited is a name known to all. (+5000) GruffalosUnited is a name known to all. (+5000) GruffalosUnited is a name known to all. (+5000) GruffalosUnited is a name known to all. (+5000) GruffalosUnited is a name known to all. (+5000) GruffalosUnited is a name known to all. (+5000) GruffalosUnited is a name known to all. (+5000) GruffalosUnited is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Lonegirl View Post
    Spaying at 6 ish months and you won't have that problem. Better for the dog too.

As a vet tech I love and see soooo many breeds. Personally I love Goldens....they are so often so stoic. As beautiful as Shepherds are ...I find too often they are fear biters. Shar Peis....too aggressive and so many skin and potential eye (entropian) issues.
    Whatever you get I recommend Pet Insurance and have some back up cash just in case.
    What breed do you recommend that doesn't shed heavily and can handle very hot summers and cooler winters.

What breed do you recommend that doesn't shed heavily and can handle very hot summers and cooler winters.
    Schnauzers (all sizes) I like these dogs. The Giant Schnauzer is very sweet. I love the miniature schnauzer but it is important to keep them on a good diet as they are prone to bladder stones. For little guys the Brussels Griffon is cute and fun. The Welsh Terrier -very spirited but fun. Scotties and Westies- nice, sturdy dog. Cairn Terriers. Portuguese Water Dog- lots of energy needs exercise. Smooth coated Dachshund. Boston Terriers. To name a handful or 2.

I lift, therefore I am novawildcat25's Avatar
    novawildcat25 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) novawildcat25 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) novawildcat25 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) novawildcat25 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) novawildcat25 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) novawildcat25 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) novawildcat25 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) novawildcat25 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) novawildcat25 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) novawildcat25 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) novawildcat25 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    put my soccer jersey on Bailey

if you can get past shedding, goldens are the whey to go

Turning Betas into Gammas Wyomann's Avatar
    Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by novawildcat25 View Post

You know how I know you are gay....
    Transformation Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170068283&page=1
    Pinecone Fitness: https://www.********.com/Pinecone-Fitness-1635681273361328/

levijay has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) levijay has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) levijay has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) levijay has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) levijay has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) levijay has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) levijay has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) levijay has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) levijay has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) levijay has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) levijay has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    +1 english staffy
    *used to lift crew*

Adorable pup! Goldens are my fave!!

V.I.C has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V.I.C has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V.I.C has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V.I.C has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V.I.C has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V.I.C has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V.I.C has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V.I.C has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V.I.C has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V.I.C has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V.I.C has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by lindylou664 View Post
    Male or female?? Gorgeous.

Ooooooh, I could scrunch that face!!

I love them to death, they really are the best kids.
    Male. I know I am biased but he us a handsome mofo

Vic's transformation thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147620463

Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by V.I.C View Post
    Male. I know I am biased but he us a handsome mofo

What a handsome guy!

Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=GKCiyw1YT_I
    Cutest video ever
    How can you stand the cuteness every day? I'd never get anything done. It would be like "Aww he/she looks so cute when eating/sleeping/tearing up the house/barking"

The exercise need is actually why I've stayed away from the breed. Now I've finally got a really good schedule where it would be possible to give a Shiba what they need. Maybe within the next year after we get a bigger place.

penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    As a general rule dogs with a flat or short nose like Boston Terriers cannot handle hot weather. They aren't a dog you jog with or take outside in the heat.

If you really insist on getting a pet please rescue instead of purchasing from a breeder. So many dogs need good homes.

I will say unless you are committed to getting a dog just don't. Don't get a dog decide it sheds too much and get rid of it. It's a life long commitment. Whether from a breeder or rescue all dogs are going to have some issues that will either make you crazy or cost you money....or both. If you are not willing to commit to that do not get a pet.
    POWERLIFTING TRAINING JOURNAL
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=161554583

YOUTUBE (Training videos)
    https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCfCal3cQ0N9yrJ8akX9BhTg

UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Oh my gosh!
    That picture is just precious. Lol'ing at the chewed corner though..

OP-
    Goldens are wonderful, but they shed like crazy! So if shedding is a big deal, I say "no." Example: I swept yesterday and sat down on the couch only to find a tumbleweed-sized ball of Golden Retriever hair still in the corner.

Originally Posted by penny0527 View Post

I will say unless you are committed to getting a dog just don't. Don't get a dog decide it sheds too much and get rid of it. It's a life long commitment. Whether from a breeder or rescue all dogs are going to have some issues that will either make you crazy or cost you money....or both. If you are not willing to commit to that do not get a pet.
    Absolutely this^^^^
    Dogs are a commitment.

Edit: Shameless post of my little sweetie.

Last edited by UnaChispita; 10-30-2013 at 08:20 AM.

oldskooler has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oldskooler has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oldskooler has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oldskooler has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oldskooler has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oldskooler has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oldskooler has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oldskooler has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oldskooler has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oldskooler has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oldskooler has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Don't female dogs get their 'time of the month' and smear it everywhere

If you get them fixed before they have their first, it'll solve this problem. Getting males fixed will help with the excitement and other issues. Unless you're going to breed, there's really no reason to not fix your dogs.

As a general rule dogs with a flat or short nose like Boston Terriers cannot handle hot weather. They aren't a dog you jog with or take outside in the heat.

If you really insist on getting a pet please rescue instead of purchasing from a breeder. So many dogs need good homes.

I know its a very serious commitment. And I am well aware of everything that comes with it the decision (my mother has a miniature poodle). But I know we are capable of providing a great life for the dog. I think we will rescue, as long as we can find a puppy. We are not in a rush to get the dog. I want to be absolutely certain of what breed would work best for us, as well as find the puppy we want.

Is the SPCA the only location to rescue dogs?

penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) penny0527 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I know its a very serious commitment. And I am well aware of everything that comes with it the decision (my mother has a miniature poodle). But I know we are capable of providing a great life for the dog. I think we will rescue, as long as we can find a puppy. We are not in a rush to get the dog. I want to be absolutely certain of what breed would work best for us, as well as find the puppy we want.

Is the SPCA the only location to rescue dogs?
    www.petfinder.com is a compilation of just about all rescue groups and animal shelters. Just about any group who wants dogs to be seen posts on this site because it is so popular. You can sort by breed, age, size, location etc.

I found one of my current dogs on Petfinder.

www.petfinder.com is a compilation of just about all rescue groups and animal shelters. Just about any group who wants dogs to be seen posts on this site because it is so popular. You can sort by breed, age, size, location etc.

I found one of my current dogs on Petfinder.
    Are the dogs on there already checked by a vet/fixed or is that something I would need to set up for when we purchase the dog.

Are the dogs on there already checked by a vet/fixed or is that something I would need to set up for when we purchase the dog.
    Most are fixed because rescue supports sterilization. They support the idea of animals not reproducing therefore creating more animals in shelters. If you look on Petfinder you will see over 1 million pets listed.

If the animal is not already fixed the shelter or rescue group will require you to provide proof that you have sterilized in a certain amount of time after adoption.

They may have been seen by a vet if they are with a rescue group as opposed to coming from a city shelter. Rescues usually take each pet for an initial vet visit after being received. The rescue group I fostered for did anyway. My current dog from the city shelter was fixed after we agreed to adopt but she was not given a full vet exam to my knowledge. I took her to get current shots, heartworm preventative & an initial exam by the vet.

No matter where you get a dog from you should always see your own vet immediately after.