Page 105 of 274 FirstFirst ... 5 55 95 103 104 105 106 107 115 155 205 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,150 of 8191
    medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Now that I'm chasing the site's spammers, scammers, trolls, and general knuckleheads, my regular posting time in the forums has been curtailed, but I'll still always find time to train and log it in this journal.

Good to see you in here; I hope you're well.
    Heh, I'm not sure whether to say "congratulations" on the mod-ship or "I'm sorry" I'm sure you're doing a bang up job, though.

And life is good. Pretty good all around, actually.
    -

mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good question, d. As far as training goes, I made a few of the usual noob gaffes---doing too much too often, and when I first started Squatting, I used too much weight and wasn't Squatting deep enough. I was very fortunate to come under the guidance of a RL mentor after my first year of bungling along on my own; he owned the first gym I joined, and took the time to get me squared-away. He corrected my form at every turn, and wouldn't allow me to use more weight than I could control. To his credit, my training learning curve was very steep, but I learned the right way to do everything, and learned it in a relatively short period of time.

The nutrition angle, OTOH, was a different story, and is where I made the majority of my beginner mistakes. Again, I made all the mistakes that most noobs make, but probably the biggest one that really held me back, was in following the muscle magazine mantra of eating nothing but chicken, rice, and broccoli in multiple meals, and practically eliminating all fat from my meals. Of course, I then made slow progress, which I blamed on my lack of supplements, so I put all my nutrition faith in pills, powders, and potions, all purchased one day a month on Gold Card Day at my local GNC. Geez, I dropped a ton of cash in there over several years.

I had since moved on from my mentor's gym, and eventually landed in another gym, populated with mostly bodybuilders and powerlifters. Long story short, I was advised to start eating a lot more red meat, potatoes, and vegetables. Lo and behold, I started adding consistent mass and strength.

I never really knew any of the science behind nutrition back then; I just knew that I had to continue to eat more and more if I were to continue to progress. There wasn't any interwebz, and the only source of info was the muscle magazines, and it wasn't until I joined this website, and crashed head-first into Alan's postings in the 'nutrition' forum, that my eyes were opened to why things worked, or didn't work, as they did. I had posted another broscience-filled post about the requirement to eat 6 times a day/pwo shake/etc, when a young and very knowledgeable poster directed me to Alan's thread on pre- and post- nutrition. Alan has since shortened it to one post and locked it; back then, it was an open thread and IIRC, ran into the thousands of posts, the majority of them Alan's. I started reading, and spent the next several hours absorbing the entire thread. I spent days after that, following links he had posted, and reading more. To say my mind was blown would be a total understatement; in one thread, he had slain all my broscience dragons. I've long since subscribed to his website; it's the best money I've ever spent.

Looking back, probably the next-biggest error I made, nutrition-wise, other than not eating enough fat and trying to always eat "clean" , was in getting too hung up on minor details. Yes, there is a vast sea of science behind bodybuilding nutrition, and it's really easy for noobs to get blinded by all the details to the fact that it always comes down to the simple mantra of simply eating to requirement by the end of every day.

Noobs see that statement, and automatically think,"That's too simple; there's gotta be more to it than that." But there isn't; most beginners are training incorrectly, so they aren't seeing any gains, and are quick to look for some shortcut to building mass. Most don't want to hear that what they need to be doing is Squatting. Deadlifting, Rowing, and Pressing, and eating a couple of cheeseburgers and some veggies.

Didn't intend to write a book, but there's a lot that went on for me since the first day I decided to "lift weights;" I've tried to distill it down.
    Posts like this keep me coming back and reading more. And it keeps me eating cheeseburgers too which is a big win.

Keep on sharing long stories Bill, it doesn't fall on deaf ears in the journal section
    365 255 480 in April! ...2019
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by determined4000 View Post
    lol at book comment
    I would read a book if you wrote it.
    Thanks for the kind comment.

A couple of years ago, I had some back-and-forth PMs about writing a bodybuilding training and nutrition book with a former competitive bodybuilder and journaler who works in the medical field and also has some prior publishing experience with statistical stuff, etc. But after considering both that it would take a mountain of work to put such a book together, and also that there are already a million such publications out there, I decided it just wasn't worth the investment in my time. It's kinda like the youtube situation; there are so many youtube "channels" covering training, nutrition, supplementation, etc., that even the few really good ones are just practically lost in a vast sea of mediocrity.

Originally Posted by medjen View Post
    Heh, I'm not sure whether to say "congratulations" on the mod-ship or "I'm sorry" I'm sure you're doing a bang up job, though.
    LOL. Moderating has turned out to be exactly as I imagined it might be, so I haven't really had any problems or surprises so far. I received a lot of good advice from the other mods, which really shortened my learning curve of how things worked.

I had gotten to a point on this site, with 65,000 posts, where I felt if I were going to do anything more to help make this a better website for everyone, I wasn't going to be able to remain a regular poster any longer. I mean, how many more times could I advise noobs that they need to Squat and Deadlift, and that it's not necessary to eat fish heads and rice a dozen times a day in order to make gainz?

And I despise spammers and scammers, and anyone else who tries to use these forums to fleece or otherwise mislead beginners who don't yet know better, and are only here trying to improve themselves. Now, rather than just reporting the asshats, and leaving it someone else to do something, I can actively help rid the site of them.

And life is good. Pretty good all around, actually.
    Good deal, Jen. Make the best of every day; tomorrow isn't guaranteed to any of us.

Originally Posted by mirroroferised View Post
    Posts like this keep me coming back and reading more. And it keeps me eating cheeseburgers too which is a big win.

Keep on sharing long stories Bill, it doesn't fall on deaf ears in the journal section
    Thanks Dave; I appreciate the comments.

Sometimes, someone will ask a simple question in here, or just make a comment, and it'll strike a chord in me that turns on a stream of consciousness, and the next thing I know, I've typed up a million-word post.
    Last edited by ironwill2008; 02-01-2015 at 09:05 AM.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz

Ironwill2008 V3.0

Got the week's training off to a good start. Managed to make a millimeter of progress while having fun doing it. Today's training was:

Front Squat
    bar x10 W/U
    95x10 W/U
    95x10 W/U
    135x8
    185x8
    205x8
    230x6
    185x9 backoff set

Smith Machine Split Squat
    95x8 W/U
    135x8
    185x8
    235x6

Chinup
    bw +40x6
    bw +40x6
    bw +40x5

Overhead Press
    95x5 W/U
    125x5
    137.5x5
    137.5x5
    137.5x4

Expended an hour and twenty minutes on this session. It was cold as a banker's heart in the gym, so I did an extra warmup set of Fronts to get things loosened-up. The top set didn't advance, but I was able to add a rep to the backoff set, always a good indicator that the top set will eventually inch upward if I keep at it.

Splits didn't move up, but they felt good. Going to continue to work these to 8-reps-across.

Chinups remained at the same rep count as last week, but again, reps were good.

Same with dem pesky Overheadz; no increase today, but pretty good form on what I was able to get. More work to be done here.

That's all I have for today. A rest day tomorrow may include some snow shoveling, depending on which weather report I care to believe. I'll get back in the gym on Wednesday to work to move forward with Lunges, T-Bar Rows, and Flat Presses.

Post-WorkOut meal was a roasted chicken breast, a baked sweet 'tater with butter, a salad, and a glass of milk.

No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz
    Overheads are the bane of my lifting life...feel fine going for my last set them boom! Shoulders say "Nope, thats you done for today buddy!"

Still you are maintaining and putting up great numbers, have yet to get back into weighted chins but I am about to start easing back into a bulk, might be the right time to start again! Front squats...dont think Ill ever get to those numbers haha.

Need to start cooking my spuds like that^^ so much more room for fillings when they are "burst" open and re-stuffed (I assume?)

Looks good.
    Eat the damn yolk.

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Nice work always impressed with those front squats serious core/quad strength there. That sweet potato looks so good, it's been a while, need to pick some more of those up. Butter mixed with coconut oil and cinnamon for me, I can't believe I used to hate sweet potatoes. I could eat my weight in them now. Nice work. Cold as a bankers heart haven't heard that one lately. It was "colder than a witches tit" here today and the roads were "slicker than a cats ass" in the morning, I don't know how cold or slick either of those are.. but I remembered hearing those growing up in an agricultural area..

determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz
    How would you access the following statement:

The philosophy of strength training can be broken down into these points:

Put weight overhead.
    Pick it off the ground.
    Carry it for time or distance.

-Also, what does your grocery bill run you each week (hypothetically just food costs for you not others in the house)
    Last edited by determined4000; 02-02-2015 at 10:00 PM.
    Founder of MMDELAD
    "Micros Matter Dont Eat Like A Dumba**" (hydrogenated oils, shortening, mono and di-glycerides don't fit in my macros)

Does Not Count Macros Crew

"Think in terms of limits and the result is limitation
    Think in terms of progress and the result is progression"

my day:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156294333

Training Philosophy to be strong: 1. Pick Weights up off the ground 2. Squat them 3. Push them over your head

RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Lotta leg volume in the WO....great session Bill....OHP is rising....I see you nicked it up a couple LBS and close to 5 across....

Now go and get those intwebz obstructionists that want to bog down our fun with their sinister web ways.........I think we should create a nice super hero suit for you.....kinda in the Hanz and Franz look....I'm here to pump you up with a nice BB in a shield on the front....we'll skip the cape ....
    "You got soul and everybody knows that its alright".....Curtis Mayfield........"Eat to be strong weights and reps"....Me....."leave the gun take the cannoli".....Fat Clemenza

"Believin is alright just don't believe in the wrong thing"....Sonny Boy Williamson

"You know you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise your body can't fill"......Paul Barrere Little Feat

Sorry for the late replies in here; I wasn't even able to log in until nearly noon, and many normal forum functions have been working only off and on all day for me at least.

Originally Posted by Gxp23 View Post
    Overheads are the bane of my lifting life...feel fine going for my last set them boom! Shoulders say "Nope, thats you done for today buddy!"

Still you are maintaining and putting up great numbers, have yet to get back into weighted chins but I am about to start easing back into a bulk, might be the right time to start again! Front squats...dont think Ill ever get to those numbers haha.
    Thanks; I'm still working as hard as I'm able to keep moving forward.

I think the main reason why I'm still able to handle the loads I'm working with is simply because I've been training for so long and have never stopped even for a short time. But I'm not as strong as I was just two years ago; you have to figure that eventually, time catches up, and takes it's toll.

Need to start cooking my spuds like that^^ so much more room for fillings when they are "burst" open and re-stuffed (I assume?)

Looks good.
    Thanks. We cook potatoes and sweet potatoes in the microwave; I'll scrub 'em with a veggie brush and cold water, stab 'em a few times with a fork to provide some steam holes, then nuke 'em for 5-7 minutes depending on how many and their size. Then, I'll test for doneness with a tooth pick, wrap them in aluminum foil, and let them sit for about 5 minutes.

Originally Posted by Plateauplower View Post
    Nice work always impressed with those front squats serious core/quad strength there. That sweet potato looks so good, it's been a while, need to pick some more of those up. Butter mixed with coconut oil and cinnamon for me, I can't believe I used to hate sweet potatoes. I could eat my weight in them now. Nice work. Cold as a bankers heart haven't heard that one lately. It was "colder than a witches tit" here today and the roads were "slicker than a cats ass" in the morning, I don't know how cold or slick either of those are.. but I remembered hearing those growing up in an agricultural area..
    Thanks, Tim; I had a good day yesterday, and expect to keep it going through the week.

Sweet potatoes are a relatively quick and easy addition; as above, scrub 'em and then into the nukemeister. Coconut oil/cinnamon sounds good.

We've had a dusting of snow this last couple of days, but nothing stuck in the roads so far. Been pretty cold though.

How would you access the following statement:

The philosophy of strength training can be broken down into these points:

Put weight overhead.
    Pick it off the ground.
    Carry it for time or distance.
    Add "Squat it for reps," and you'd have a pretty complete package. I think the 'weight overhead' is a significant addition; IMO, it's a more valuable lift than Bench Press. And it goes without saying that lifting something off the ground and carrying it is about as natural a couple of functions as you can name.

-Also, what does your grocery bill run you each week (hypothetically just food costs for you not others in the house)
    I'd say about $125 a week just for myself.

It would be considerably more were it not for the efforts of my wife in searching, cataloging, and using coupons, and taking advantage of unadvertised in-store sales and specials on in-season items. She saves us enough from her diligence that, in effect, we eat for free one week out of each month.

Originally Posted by RT1957 View Post
    Lotta leg volume in the WO....great session Bill....OHP is rising....I see you nicked it up a couple LBS and close to 5 across....
    Hey Ron, thanks. I feel like I have a near-perfect (for me) balance of volume/frequency/intensity; that's the reason why I'm still training on the same basic routine that I put together two years ago. Other than changing-out a few stalled-dead exercises from time to time, I can't find a reason to change anything.

Now go and get those intwebz obstructionists that want to bog down our fun with their sinister web ways.........I think we should create a nice super hero suit for you.....kinda in the Hanz and Franz look....I'm here to pump you up with a nice BB in a shield on the front....we'll skip the cape ....
    Lulz. The site got it's butt kicked last night. Not sure what satisfaction someone gets from disrupting an internet forum, but it's taken the better part of the day to get things functioning normally again.
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Lulz. The site got it's butt kicked last night. Not sure what satisfaction someone gets from disrupting an internet forum, but it's taken the better part of the day to get things functioning normally again.
    By the time you are spending your time trying to figure out how to down a website.....you're long past being a productive human and basically are just a pariah....useless....directionless and taking up needed space....
    "You got soul and everybody knows that its alright".....Curtis Mayfield........"Eat to be strong weights and reps"....Me....."leave the gun take the cannoli".....Fat Clemenza

"Believin is alright just don't believe in the wrong thing"....Sonny Boy Williamson

"You know you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise your body can't fill"......Paul Barrere Little Feat

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Late myself, but the front squats sure look good.

D4k got me thinking on what Id spend on myself over a week. Lol, Im a drop in the bucket right now with my son in the middle of basketball season.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz
    squat addition noted
    thanks
    Founder of MMDELAD
    "Micros Matter Dont Eat Like A Dumba**" (hydrogenated oils, shortening, mono and di-glycerides don't fit in my macros)

Does Not Count Macros Crew

"Think in terms of limits and the result is limitation
    Think in terms of progress and the result is progression"

my day:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156294333

Training Philosophy to be strong: 1. Pick Weights up off the ground 2. Squat them 3. Push them over your head

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Progress is progress...doesn't matter how slow.

I'm also adding front squats into my program in addition to regular squats,.
    OG

psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Jasonk282 View Post

Truth
    PL Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154662503

BTK!

First Meet 8/25/13 281/264/418 963 @198

5/24/14 352.5/286/462.5 1101 @242

By the time you are spending your time trying to figure out how to down a website.....you're long past being a productive human and basically are just a pariah....useless....directionless and taking up needed space....
    QFT. I guess some people just don't have any grasp of living in the real world, and spend all their time dicking around trying to cause trouble. I see a lot of that, on a smaller scale, every day on this site with reports of trolling and spamming.

Originally Posted by EjnarKolinkar View Post
    Late myself, but the front squats sure look good.
    Thanks, Robert. Progress has slowed there, but it's too good an exercise to change-out just yet.

D4k got me thinking on what Id spend on myself over a week. Lol, Im a drop in the bucket right now with my son in the middle of basketball season.
    Lulz. Feeding a teen is a full-time job; I think most of them have at least one hollow leg!

squat addition noted
    thanks
    At this stage of the game, every single added rep is a victory.

Originally Posted by Jasonk282 View Post
    Agreed. Linear progress is great while it's apparent, but it doesn't last forever for anyone. I think maybe one of the reasons why I'm still at this after all these years is the fact that I was fortunate enough to have that explained to me a long time ago, and that I'd have to work incrementally harder, and be satisfied with less gains, as the the years passed.

Someone who can't accept that as fact isn't going to be able to hang for the long haul.

Good deal; your quads will thank (hate?) you for the Fronts addition.

Originally Posted by psychodiver9 View Post
    Truth
    Hey, Ryan!

It would be great if gains came steadily forever, but we all know that isn't going to happen. And thinking about it, I'm not sure how satisfying it would be if hitting a new PR was easy.

Sometimes, just overcoming RL obstacles and simply managing to step foot into the gym on schedule is a victory in and of itself.
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

It would be great if gains came steadily forever, but we all know that isn't going to happen. And thinking about it, I'm not sure how satisfying it would be if hitting a new PR was easy.

Sometimes, just overcoming RL obstacles and simply managing to step foot into the gym on schedule is a victory in and of itself.
    There are always words of wisdom in this journal Glad to see things moving right along as usual.

Ironwill2008 V3.0

Good session today. So far, it's been a good training week, and I expect to carry it right on through to Friday. Today's training was:

Barbell Lunge
    bar x5 W/U
    95x5 W/U
    185x5 W/U
    225x6
    225x6
    225x5

T-Bar Row PWO
    100x10 W/U
    180x6
    180x6
    180x5 heh-vee

Smith Machine Flat Press
    95x10 W/U
    135x10
    185x10
    225x7

Spent an hour on the nose getting through this session. Didn't advance Lunges for any additional reps, but those I got were good. When I reach 6-across, I'll work for 7-across. I'll eventually get back to doing heavy (for me) triples on these, but for now, I'm going to continue chasing 2-plate reps.

T-Bars didn't progress either, but I felt every pound right in the center of my upper back. Working these to 6-across before adding any more weight.

Added a tough rep on Flats. Don't know where it came from, but I'll sure take it. The current goal is to get this weight to 10-across without causing any shoulder problems. So far, so good.

That's the extent of it for today. A rest day tomorrow will be followed with Deadlifts, Curls, and Dips on Friday.

Post-Workout feast was a pair of crab-stuffed shrimps, stir-fry veggies over rice, and a glass of milk.

No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Originally Posted by securekey View Post
    There are always words of wisdom in this journal Glad to see things moving right along as usual.
    Thanks; I appreciate the comments.

Everybody needs some form or another of motivation to keep them in the game, and the best, and only, form that's lasting is that which comes from within.
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Ironwill2008 V3.0

Good session today, even though I didn't meet all my day's goals. Effort was there, and that's all I can ask for. Today's training was:

Deadlift
    135x5 W/U
    185x5 W/U
    225x5
    275x5
    315x5
    365x5
    405x4

Alternate Dumbbell Curl
    20x10 W/U
    35x10
    40x10
    45x10

Dips
    bw +50x8
    bw +50x8
    bw +50x7

Worked my way through here in right at an hour. I missed the 5th rep on the top set of Deadlifts, dropping me back to 4 reps. I might have struggled and got a sloppy 5th, but that wouldn't have really accomplished anything of value. No problem though; I'll just keep working until I pull reps-across consistently before adding another ounce to the bar.

Met last week's numbers on Curls, and was pleased to do so. I'm not going to mess with trying to Curl the 50s this time around, so I'll stick with this same setup for one more week, then change to some other biceps exercise on deload week. I'm due for a change here.

Dips didn't advance, but considering how much my right hand was squawking during the sets, I was happy just to get to previous numbers.

That's the extent of training for the week. Rest over the weekend (no football for the first time since last August ), then I'll crank it up on Monday with Front and Split Squats, Chins, and my favorite, Overheadz.

Tasty PWO meal was a roast chicken breast, Mexican rice, green beans, and a glass of milk. Made it disappear quick.

No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Good motivation for my dips today ITT.

I've got a taste for green beans now. Love those things things, always have to have 2 servings. On the menu for today now.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

Originally Posted by EjnarKolinkar View Post
    Good motivation for my dips today ITT.
    Good deal, Robert; go for it.

I've got a taste for green beans now. Love those things things, always have to have 2 servings. On the menu for today now.
    We love 'em here, and eat them at least a couple times a week.

When we can't get fresh ones, I'll nuke a bowl of frozen beans (those are frozen beans in the meal pic). I'll add a few TBs of water to make steam, add a bay leaf, a pinch of oregano and basil, and a little s&p. Then I'll cover the top of the bowl with plastic wrap pulled tight, and punch a bunch of steam holes in it with a toothpick. 5-6 minutes later, they're good to go.
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Nice work, I'm sure the effort was there on the deads, sometimes Gravity is just more powerful. I think the important thing is you broke the mental barrier and hitting that 5th rep will be back in there soon. Enjoy the weekend. Sorry about the no football thing .

Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    We love 'em here, and eat them at least a couple times a week. When we can't get fresh ones, I'll nuke a bowl of frozen beans (those are frozen beans in the meal pic).
    Love me some green beans! A couple times a week I'll take a whole can of green beans and a whole can of sweet corn and cook together with some chicken flavored soup base, salt, and pepper and it's a HYOOGE bowl of about 300 calories (and 17g of fiber) of pure goodness

And that 225x7 on the flat bench is quite impressive!
    Pull-Up PR: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177233951

Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Everybody needs some form or another of motivation to keep them in the game, and the best, and only, form that's lasting is that which comes from within.
    ^^^QFT

I had a bit of a setback last week, and my mom told me I should give up the heavy bodybuilding because it causes too much trauma to my body.

Civilians... they just don't get why we do this.

mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    We make green beans lightly steamed and then add minced garlic, balsamic and salt and pepper. There are never leftovers. And now on the menu tonight
    365 255 480 in April! ...2019
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)

Ironwill2008 V3.0

Had an excellent session today to get the training week, and the last week of this current 3-week segment before deload, off to a flying start. Today's training was:

Front Squat
    bar x10 W/U
    135x8
    185x8
    205x8
    230x6
    185x9 backoff set

95x8 W/U
    135x8
    185x8
    235x7

Chinup
    bw +40x6
    bw +40x6
    bw +40x5

Overhead Press
    95x5 W/U
    125x5
    137.5x5
    137.5x5
    137.5x5

Worked through this session in an hour and ten minutes. I was really ready to roll today, with plenty of energy. While Fronts didn't increase today, I felt I hit every rep with near-perfection; everything just felt 'solid.' Can't really describe the exact feeling when I'm in the groove, but I know when it's there.

Picked up a tough rep on Splits; just one more and I'll qualify to add another nickel to the bar.

Chins remained as they were, but again, all reps were very good.

And on Overheads---my current nemesis---I finally hit reps-across. Form was pretty good too; minimal lean-back. I'm going to stick with the current load though until such time as I can rep it consistently; I don't see much point in adding weight to the bar and then only getting a couple of reps per set. But for now, I'm pleased with the 3x5.

This one is in the books, and I'll follow it with a rest day tomorrow. On Wednesday, it'll be back in the gym for Lunges, Rows, and Flat Presses. I expect today's momentum to carry me right on through the remainder of the week.

Post-WorkOut meal was a monster-size chicken enchilada, stuffed with shredded chicken, seasoned rice, black beans, corn, salsa, and topped with cheddar cheese and taco sauce. As always, a glass of milk accompanied the feast.

No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Originally Posted by Plateauplower View Post
    Nice work, I'm sure the effort was there on the deads, sometimes Gravity is just more powerful. I think the important thing is you broke the mental barrier and hitting that 5th rep will be back in there soon. Enjoy the weekend. Sorry about the no football thing .
    Thanks, Tim. I'm working right at the edge of my ability, so see-sawing back and forth on a rep isn't unusual for me on some lifts. I'll just continue to hammer away at it.

I'm having football withdrawl already.

Originally Posted by Payton1221 View Post
    Love me some green beans! A couple times a week I'll take a whole can of green beans and a whole can of sweet corn and cook together with some chicken flavored soup base, salt, and pepper and it's a HYOOGE bowl of about 300 calories (and 17g of fiber) of pure goodness
    That's something I haven't done in ages---mix corn and beans together; thanks for the suggestion; it'll go on the week's menu at some point.

An excellent way to complete the proteins too, in the same way mixing rice and beans will do.

And that 225x7 on the flat bench is quite impressive!
    Thanks, Mark. I'm just happy I can still Press something without my shoulders squawking about it!

Originally Posted by Bo_Flecks View Post
    ^^^QFT

I had a bit of a setback last week, and my mom told me I should give up the heavy bodybuilding because it causes too much trauma to my body.

Civilians... they just don't get why we do this.
    And they never will, Steve. But IMO, that's as it should be; this isn't a sport for the masses.

We're different from joe average. Not necessarily better than him, but definitely different.

Originally Posted by mirroroferised View Post
    We make green beans lightly steamed and then add minced garlic, balsamic and salt and pepper. There are never leftovers. And now on the menu tonight
    That's sounds very tasty too. I don't think beans get all the nutritional credit they deserve from the bodybuilding community. Besides the fact that if they're eaten in combination with any grain (such as the above-mentioned corn), they're a complete protein. And not to mention that beans are an excellent source of dietary fiber. And anyone who eats a lot of tissue protein will automatically know the value of eating lots of fiber!
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Nice WO Bill....9 reps at 185 of fronts....Plus pushed your top set up to 230.......good to see you get the reps across on OHP....it's everyone's nemesis exercise....Nice food porn......should give you plenty of energy for the next cyberisis bottom dwellers

Nice WO Bill....9 reps at 185 of fronts....Plus pushed your top set up to 230.......good to see you get the reps across on OHP....it's everyone's nemesis exercise....Nice food porn......should give you plenty of energy for the next cyberisis bottom dwellers
    Thanks, Ron; I had what I'd consider an exceptional day of training. Not really sure why I felt so particularly good today; nothing in my schedule has really changed. Calories/macros have been consistent, and I've been getting good sleep. It would be nice to be able to pinpoint the cause(s) of a good training session so they could be repeated, but it's been my experience that most of the time those really good days occur, there's no explaining them.

Lulz @ bottom dwellers. The spammers have been hitting the forums hard this past few days. I guess they're all looking to skim some $$$ from the resolutioners and other beginners that always flock to the forums this time of year. I despise those sumbeeches, and do everything I can to keep the forums free of them.
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Page bump from the previous page:

Had an excellent session today to get the training week, and the last week of this current 3-week segment before deload, off to a flying start. Today's training was:

Front Squat
    bar x10 W/U
    135x8
    185x8
    205x8
    230x6
    185x9 backoff set

95x8 W/U
    135x8
    185x8
    235x7

Chinup
    bw +40x6
    bw +40x6
    bw +40x5

Overhead Press
    95x5 W/U
    125x5
    137.5x5
    137.5x5
    137.5x5

Worked through this session in an hour and ten minutes. I was really ready to roll today, with plenty of energy. While Fronts didn't increase today, I felt I hit every rep with near-perfection; everything just felt 'solid.' Can't really describe the exact feeling when I'm in the groove, but I know when it's there.

Picked up a tough rep on Splits; just one more and I'll qualify to add another nickel to the bar.

Chins remained as they were, but again, all reps were very good.

And on Overheads---my current nemesis---I finally hit reps-across. Form was pretty good too; minimal lean-back. I'm going to stick with the current load though until such time as I can rep it consistently; I don't see much point in adding weight to the bar and then only getting a couple of reps per set. But for now, I'm pleased with the 3x5.

This one is in the books, and I'll follow it with a rest day tomorrow. On Wednesday, it'll be back in the gym for Lunges, Rows, and Flat Presses. I expect today's momentum to carry me right on through the remainder of the week.

Post-WorkOut meal was a monster-size chicken enchilada, stuffed with shredded chicken, seasoned rice, black beans, corn, salsa, and topped with cheddar cheese and taco sauce. As always, a glass of milk accompanied the feast.

No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Page 105 of 274 FirstFirst ... 5 55 95 103 104 105 106 107 115 155 205 ... LastLast