lizdaly has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lizdaly has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lizdaly has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lizdaly has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lizdaly has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lizdaly has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lizdaly has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lizdaly has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lizdaly has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lizdaly has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lizdaly has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Emphasizing glutes, minimizing quads

Hola,

I know there's about ten million threads on how to workout the glutes, but my question is different.... I really want to focus on growing my glutes, but I don't want to grow my quads/hams. I know the main recommended exercises for glutes: SQUATS, deadlifts, lunges, and hip thrusts/glute bridges (the best IMO for isolating glutes without recruiting much quad/ham). I'm really interested in starting a discussion on which exercises achieve the highest ratio of glute:leg activation, and what versions of these exercises put the most stress on the glutes and the least on the rest of the leg.

I'll start with what I've learned so far:

BACK SQUATS: Low bar uses the glutes more than high bar. To hit the glutes more, go lower ("ass to grass"), and push through the heels on the way up.
    Questions: What effect does changing the width of your stance have? On the way down, which will stress the glutes more: keeping my torso as upright as possible ("leaning back"), or lean forward while maintaining a lordic curve?

SQUAT VARIATIONS: Front squats emphasize quads - not useful here. Do Bulgarian split squats place more or less emphasis on glutes compared to standard back squats? Any other squat variations recommended for focusing on glutes?

DEADLIFTS: I feel Romanian deadlifts are the best for hitting the glutes while minimizing quads. I also like them because they are hamstring dominant, whereas the majority of exercises for hitting the glutes are quad dominant. I still don't fully understand what muscles are worked differently in a stiff-leg deadlift vs a Romanian deadlift. Which variation is best for glute development? Romanian, stiff-leg, conventional, or other type of deadlift?

LUNGES: Wider stance = more glutes. I also add a straight leg kickback at the top of each lunge (+/- ankle weights) for an extra glute squeeze (I can look for some pictures if this isn't clear). What lunge variations or techniques will focus the most on glutes and least on quads? Walking, stationary, or reverse lunges? Step ups?

Hip thrusts/glute bridges: The most bang for your buck! The most glute, the least quad or ham. I feel hip thrusts (shoulders elevated) are superior to glute bridges (shoulders on the floor), as you have a bigger range of motion, right?

I know there's a majority opinion here that "big muscular thighs" are a good thing on women, but I'd rather not have that debate here.... I'm happy with the size and muscularity of my legs, and I know there are other women/men who feel the same. I just want bigger glutes without bigger legs!

Thank you for your advice!
    Liz

kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm not sure you can really do too much with glutes without getting the hamstrings involved. They're highly integrated with one another as far as I can tell.

With back squat, I find that the wider the stance, the less quad emphasis. That emphasis largely placed on the adductors (which will also make your thighs grow) and the glute ham tie in.

Walking lunges annihilate my glutes. With this one, don't focus too much on joint angles, foot placement, and all that jazz. Allow the back leg to bend, and PULL yourself up with the front leg. Glute is definitely the prime move when you pull yourself up rather than push with the back leg.

Definitely do glute ham raises. If you don't have the right machine, use one of those hyper machines but focus on squeezing with the glutes instead of using your lower back.

I would stick with whatever deadlift variation you feel most. Same with the thrusts.

If you do those exercises in the described fashion, the vast majority of the work will be placed on the posterior chain. But unfortunately, these exercises will also hit the hamstrings and adductors quite hard.

darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Standing cable glute kickbacks.
    Love to train.... hate gyms!