Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    DecoStop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DecoStop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DecoStop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DecoStop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DecoStop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DecoStop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DecoStop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DecoStop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

New Here....New to Keto

Just started Keto today (9/23)...

I wasnt sure where to begin so but I found the cavemanketo website and decided to give it a go.

This morning I had the Chorizo Breakfast Casserole (28g Fat, 24g Protein, 7g Carbs), which was OK flavor wise especially since I've never been a big casserole fan.

Alittle background, I started dieting and exercising more regularly about a month ago. I started at around 150, dropped down to around 146 then I got a cold...And apparently I'm one of those people that can look sideways at a donut and gain 4 lbs.

Hopefully keto will help shed some pounds....Wish me luck.

sleep- work- lift- bacon resilience5241's Avatar
    resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by DecoStop View Post

I wasnt sure where to begin so but I found the cavemanketo website and decided to give it a go.

This morning I had the Chorizo Breakfast Casserole (28g Fat, 24g Protein, 7g Carbs), which was OK flavor wise especially since I've never been a big casserole fan.

Alittle background, I started dieting and exercising more regularly about a month ago. I started at around 150, dropped down to around 146 then I got a cold...And apparently I'm one of those people that can look sideways at a donut and gain 4 lbs.

Good luck! Have you calculated your calories and are you using a website or app to track them?

Also, if you don't mind answering, are you male or female?
    If it is important to you, you will find a way.
    If it's not, you will find an excuse.

STRONGMAN TRAINING/KETO LOG:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158537933

IG: willflex4cookies

DecoStop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DecoStop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DecoStop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DecoStop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DecoStop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DecoStop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DecoStop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DecoStop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks!

I haven't done the calculations yet, since I just started basically today. But I do use various apps to track stuff. Currently using MFP for workouts, LoseIt for Food, and Fitbit as the overall integration app. According the LoseIt, It has me targeted at about 1700 calories a day.

I don't mind answering...I'm male, but don't hold that against me though. :P

I'll hop on over and do the calculations to find out my caloric needs.

So day one is behind me.

My macros were off yesterday (28g Net Carbs , and 70% Fat, 24% Protein, 6% Carbs ) and calorie wise it ended up being about 1870 kCals.

Otherwise I felt pretty good. I had been fighting a cold and I'm still alittle congested. But I went to the gym anyway, did some cross training and I'm telling you guys I was sweating like I have never sweat before...and I'm pretty sure it smelled like bacon.

This morning I was down a pound...so water weight is definitely leaving.

resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh View Post
    3/Katch-McArdle:Considered the most accurate for those who are relatively lean. Use if you have a good estimate of your bodyfat %.
    BMR = 370 + (21.6 x LBM)Where LBM = [total weight (kg) x (100 - bodyfat %)]/100

Again - these are BMR calculations. To convert to a TOTAL requirement you need to multiply the result by an 'activity variable'.
    This Activity Factor is the TOTAL cost of living, NOT JUST TRAINING. If you train 1 hr a day - CONSIDER WHAT YOU DO THE OTHER 23 HRS! It includes work, life activities, training/sport & the TEF of ~15% (an average mixed diet).
    Average activity variables are:
    1.2 = Sedentary (Desk job, and Little Formal Exercise)
    1.3-1.4 = Lightly Active (Light daily activity AND light exercise 1-3 days a week)
    1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (Moderately daily Activity & Moderate exercise 3-5 days a week)
    1.7-1.8 = Very Active (Physically demanding lifestyle & Hard exercise 6-7 days a week)
    1.9-2.2 = Extremely Active (Athlete in ENDURANCE training or VERY HARD physical job)

I link everyone to this formula for calculating caloric needs. Most online calculators don't take into consideration what your daily output (energy expenditure) is like other than the small portion of the day you spend at the gym.

What are your goals right now? I know you're cutting, but wondering if you had any goals beyond that.

It's crazy that you're using 3 different apps to track everything, plus this journal, that seems exhausting! But as long as it's working for you and you think it's something you can commit to then that's awesome.

Good luck on day 2!

Here are the numbers I got using Katch-McArdle.

BMR = 370 + (21.6 X ((65.78 * (100-25))/100)) = 1436

Maintenance = 1.4 * 1436 = 2009 kCal

My current goals are just to slim down and get rid of some pudge. Alot of what I have been reading however is that I should be doing a clean bulk instead of worrying about losing fat. There were just so many contradictory posts, threads, books, etc. that I figured I should just start somewhere. When I read about CKD and that it was good for endomorphic folks and that it was a body recomp style diet, it seemed that it fit. Ofcourse even my previous statement has been called into question by some....So at this point I;m just going to give it some time and see how my body responds.

Here are the numbers I got using Katch-McArdle.

BMR = 370 + (21.6 X ((65.78 * (100-25))/100)) = 1436

Maintenance = 1.4 * 1436 = 2009 kCal

My current goals are just to slim down and get rid of some pudge. Alot of what I have been reading however is that I should be doing a clean bulk instead of worrying about losing fat. There were just so many contradictory posts, threads, books, etc. that I figured I should just start somewhere. When I read about CKD and that it was good for endomorphic folks and that it was a body recomp style diet, it seemed that it fit. Ofcourse even my previous statement has been called into question by some....So at this point I;m just going to give it some time and see how my body responds.

Awesome, looks like the online calculator you originally used wasn't far off at all! I usually cut around 1750-1850 cals and I'm not that much heavier than you, so you should be good with what you're doing.

Honestly, it's hard to judge anyone just based off of stats. When I started my last cut I was at 174lbs, and no one ever believed me when I said I was that heavy (I have photos of when I started, I think on the 3rd page in my log). In general, most guys are looking to bulk (cause..ya know, they all wanna 'get hyoooge'). But you're allowed to do whatever you want. If your overall goal (talking where you want to be in a year or three) is to have more muscle, then cutting at the beginning doesn't make much sense. However, the part of your original post that I bolded is the most important thing you will ever learn when it comes to health/fitness. Try it and see if it works. Trial and error is sometimes the best teacher, and while there's a TON of great information on this site, I agree that sifting through it can be a nightmare.

Well Day 2 is behind me....and according to the Ketostix which turned maroon this morning I am producing excess ketones. It's kinda weird considering I haven't experienced any headaches, moodyness, or anything...maybe alittle brain fog but thats it.

Weight this morning was still 145, which I know at this point its all water weight so its not that concerning and I seriously dont expect results in two days. More trying to find the pattern.

Macros for yesterday were the following: F - 130g, P - 117g, C - 29g, Fiber - 8g, so net was 21g. Total calories were 1,752.

I also went to the gym and lifted weight for the first time in a long time. Went alittle light since I didnt have a spotter or know my limits anymore.

Also a general observation is that eating out while on keto can be difficult. I joined some friends at the local watering hole and the bartender looked irritated that I was so specific about what I wanted, which was a philly cheese steak, no bun, no onions, add bacon. And a side salad, no tomatoes, croutons, or carrots, but add cucumbers.

And I do agree that doing a cut at the beginning doesnt make much sense. But I feel its all about how you feel about yourself. And currently I feel soft and pudgey, and overall I would like to lose a few pounds...so the adventure continues....thanks for the support
    Last edited by DecoStop; 09-25-2013 at 08:25 AM.

Day 3 is in the books.

Macros again were alittle off but calories were good. F - 132g (71.5%), P - 85.8g (20.6%), C - 32.6 (7.9%), Fiber - 8.8, NetC = 23.8g / Calories 1666

Went to the gym and did an hour LISS cross training, so that was good. Tried to shake up my food abit to keep it interesting, so I made some chocolate mousse, and pepperoni snacks.

This morning my weight came in at 143.8, again its water weight, but it still feels good to see the numbers drop.

Day 4 is done!

Today was more difficult for some reason. I'm not sure if it was boredom from eating the same food for four days or something else, but I was craving a few carbs today. I resisted however!

I tried to go out for wings at a local brewery,and they offer smoked wings so I thought hey that sounds like I can eat it. Ordered them Hot...and with the first bite I could tell they had but sugar in the Hot sauce. I'm really shocked to discover how sensitive I have become to sugars in food. I gave the wings away.

Yesterday my macros and calories were pretty good. 66% Fat, 27% Protein, 7% carbs...with a Net Carb load of 23.3g

I do have abit of a headache this morning, but its probably due to not enough water. The water main near my house broke and I've been without water for 2 days now.

Just out of curiosity, How do you know when your body is done with induction?

Forever Musclebound aaaaaaaaaachooo's Avatar
    aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000)
    Day 4 is done!

Today was more difficult for some reason. I'm not sure if it was boredom from eating the same food for four days or something else, but I was craving a few carbs today. I resisted however!

I tried to go out for wings at a local brewery,and they offer smoked wings so I thought hey that sounds like I can eat it. Ordered them Hot...and with the first bite I could tell they had but sugar in the Hot sauce. I'm really shocked to discover how sensitive I have become to sugars in food. I gave the wings away.

Yesterday my macros and calories were pretty good. 66% Fat, 27% Protein, 7% carbs...with a Net Carb load of 23.3g

I do have abit of a headache this morning, but its probably due to not enough water. The water main near my house broke and I've been without water for 2 days now.

Just out of curiosity, How do you know when your body is done with induction?
    No water for 2 days??? You need to buy some! Srs!
    Induction symptoms consist of brain fog, haziness, headaches, fatigue, craving carbs, etc.
    When you no longer crave carbs, & no longer have symptoms, & you find yourself with tons of energy, you are probably fat adapted.
    Generally it's best to wait 3-4 weeks before carbing-up your first time.
    505 / 315 / 545

Currently on Day 7...This weekend hasnt been that bad. Alittle moodiness.

Calories were alittle over on Saturday, and my protein is alittle low...around 25%. Will this cause a problem?

Weight is down alittle more...143.2

Alittle difficult to figure out what is water and what is fat loss.

Hopefully the progress photos will tell the tale.

sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

If you react poorly to carbohydrates, then a ketogenic diet sounds appropriate for you. If you plan on incorporating additional carbohydrates to fuel workouts, TKD may suit you more than CKD as the carbohydrate consumption is in significantly smaller amounts compared to a 24 hour day of refeeding.

Rough calculations below...
    BMR = 1506
    x1.2 = 1807 (assumes sedentary activity level outside of workouts)
    +Workout = 2107
    -10% = 1896

SKD Macros...
    Fat = Remaining calories
    Carbs = 15-50g
    Fiber = 26g
    Protein = 117g

Eat the above (SKD macros) for at least 3 weeks before considering TKD or CKD; if you haven't lost any weight after 3 weeks, decrease calories by 10% and check your results in another week. Ideally you should aim to lose 1-1.5 lbs per week.

First Week Done! (it was the easiest right?)

Started the week at 146, ended at 142.4...overall not bad. Not as much as some folks, but then again I am a smaller person.

Macros for the week were ok, if I had to criticize myself I would say that my protein has been alittle low...averaging somewhere around 25%.

Calorie wise I'm on track, consuming anywhere from 1600-1800 per day, and working out 3-4 times during the week.

This week I'm going to add some weight when lifting now that I have a better sense of my limits. I may also try to "machines" as opposed to free weights since I wont have a spotter.

sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    As long as you're not lifting to failure, you shouldn't need a spotter, and therefore have no reason not to use free weights.

Day 8 is done.

Weight is down to 141.6 from 146 when I started...so it's encouraging to see the numbers continuing to drop.

More of the signs of the "low-carb flu" are disappearing, not that I had many. I also seemed to have alittle more energy at the gym yesterday. Still couldnt push out as many reps, but it seemed as though my endurance levels were abit higher, and I didnt sweat very much. Kinda weird.

Macros are ok, protein is still alittle low, usually somewhere around 25-27% typically. But carbs are down into the 12g range most days.

Day 9 is in the books, on to Day 10

Macros and calories were pretty good yesterday and I learned two very important things.

1. McDonalds can do a Keto breakfast of Scrambled Eggs, Bacon and a Sausage Patty for pretty cheap.

and

2. Low carb tortilla's are awesome. I made some great taco's last night.

Yesterday's macros were F-104g, P-109g, Net Carbs - 19g.

On a different note. My buddy is having a birthday gathering not this weekend, but next...I really want to stick out till 4 weeks to do my first carb up...but this travel would be at the end of week 3. Any tips on how to stay in Keto while traveling for pleasure? I know we are going to go to a few bars, maybe a gentleman's club (not sure) that may have a drink minimum. But in the end I cant let my diet dictate his birthday weekend. Any ideas that would help?

Forever Musclebound aaaaaaaaaachooo's Avatar
    aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000)
    On a different note. My buddy is having a birthday gathering not this weekend, but next...I really want to stick out till 4 weeks to do my first carb up...but this travel would be at the end of week 3. Any tips on how to stay in Keto while traveling for pleasure? I know we are going to go to a few bars, maybe a gentleman's club (not sure) that may have a drink minimum. But in the end I cant let my diet dictate his birthday weekend. Any ideas that would help?
    Well...if you do dinner - go some place with steak / burgers.
    Easy keto dieting there.

If you go for drinks, just keep it to 1 or 2 & say you are the Designated Driver.
    Easily doable with a gameplan!!!
    505 / 315 / 545

It's a good idea to avoid alcohol on keto, especially during induction. If you're going to have 1 or 2 diet pop or sugar free red bull & a low carb liquor is my go-to. I always pack a couple Quest bars when I travel for work. Also, like achoo said, any place with burgers or salads is a good choice.

Regarding your protein question, protein requirements are set forward (mostly) to help sustain muscle mass, which is important from a weight lifting standpoint. Although the recommendations vary, normal ranges are between .5-1g protein per lb of LBM depending on the intensity of your lifting program and other small variables. Missing the mark occasionally is no big deal, but coming in low on protein daily will take its toll over time.

mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by sambshep View Post
    As long as you're not lifting to failure, you shouldn't need a spotter, and therefore have no reason not to use free weights.
    what's the point of lifting if you're not trying to gain strength of breakdown muscle? failure is default for me

mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mattvdh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by resilience5241 View Post
    I link everyone to this formula for calculating caloric needs. Most online calculators don't take into consideration what your daily output (energy expenditure) is like other than the small portion of the day you spend at the gym.

What are your goals right now? I know you're cutting, but wondering if you had any goals beyond that.

It's crazy that you're using 3 different apps to track everything, plus this journal, that seems exhausting! But as long as it's working for you and you think it's something you can commit to then that's awesome.

Good luck on day 2!

The only way I know of tracking energy output is with the bodybugg. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but I think it'll at east get you in the ballpark.

Originally Posted by mattvdh View Post
    what's the point of lifting if you're not trying to gain strength of breakdown muscle? failure is default for me
    You obviously didn't read the post I was responding to, but that's not surprising.

You obviously didn't read the post I was responding to, but that's not surprising.
    it's just a general comment

it's just a general comment
    And this is someone's log. That "general comment" is inappropriate due to the fact that the original poster has already disclosed that he does not have a spotter, and lifting to failure should not be done without a spotter. Again, you would have understood this (I hope) had you actually read the post I was responding to. If you're going to participate in someone's log, I would advise that you consider the circumstance that the poster is in before recommending anything, at all.

Originally Posted by resilience5241 View Post
    Missing the mark occasionally is no big deal, but coming in low on protein daily will take its toll over time.
    Thanks for the advice about the booze.

I looked at a Keto macro calculator and the average recommendation was around 109g per day of Protein. I most days I'm in that ball park. But there have been a few where I fall short. I'll work on that.

I'm on a cut. I'm trying to prevent as much muscle loss as possible. And like others have pointed out, I want to go heavy, but I cant go to failure due to the lack of a spotter. I tend to lift during the middle of the day and the gym in my corporate research park (usually empty except that one old guy on an elliptical).

And this is someone's log. That "general comment" is inappropriate due to the fact that the original poster has already disclosed that he does not have a spotter, and lifting to failure should not be done without a spotter. Again, you would have understood this (I hope) had you actually read the post I was responding to. If you're going to participate in someone's log, I would advise that you consider the circumstance that the poster is in before recommending anything, at all.
    use a smith machine or free weights

Day 11
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

So Day 10 went OK, both macros and calories were on point. Also had a decent day at the gym doing some medium cardio, and some TRX.

Macros for the day were:
    F - 127g
    P - 104g
    C - 19g
    Fiber - 7g
    NC = 12g

Calories were 1573.

On Monday I think I strained something under my right shoulder blade and its been bugging me for the last two days. It's weird because it hurts when I throw a left hook, but not a right. I'll just try to give it abit of a rest.

On a sadder note, I think I have hit my first stall...been at 141.6 for 3 days now....hopefully it will start dropping again in a few days. I know that stalls are at times common on Keto.

Calories were 1573.

On Monday I think I strained something under my right shoulder blade and its been bugging me for the last two days. It's weird because it hurts when I throw a left hook, but not a right. I'll just try to give it abit of a rest.

On a sadder note, I think I have hit my first stall...been at 141.6 for 3 days now....hopefully it will start dropping again in a few days. I know that stalls are at times common on Keto.
    You should check weight on a weekly basis, anything more frequent than that wont provide reliable data. Your weight loss isn't stalling due to your diet being ketogenic, you simply started the diet with too large of a caloric deficit and as such your metabolism has adapted. I would advise a caloric reset up to maintenance otherwise any additional deficit you create right now will only result in further metabolic damage and loss of muscle tissue.

You should check weight on a weekly basis, anything more frequent than that wont provide reliable data. Your weight loss isn't stalling due to your diet being ketogenic, you simply started the diet with too large of a caloric deficit and as such your metabolism has adapted. I would advise a caloric reset up to maintenance otherwise any additional deficit you create right now will only result in further metabolic damage and loss of muscle tissue.
    So bump back up to around 2000ish? For how long?

I thought the average deficit was supposed to be 500 under maintenance?

So bump back up to around 2000ish? For how long?

I thought the average deficit was supposed to be 500 under maintenance?
    BMR = 1497
    x1.2 = 1796 (assumes sedentary activity level outside of workouts)
    +Workout = 2096 (assumes 60 minute workout at moderate intensity)

Fat = Remaining calories
    Carbs = 15-50g (eat within this range up until fiber requirements have been met)
    Fiber = 29g
    Protein = 113g

Eat at the above for at least two weeks to reset your metabolism, weight gain may occur but don't stress over it. After the two weeks decrease calories by 10% every week until you start losing 1-1.5lbs/week. You should not be utilizing TKD or CKD until you've followed the above for at least 3-4 weeks to ensure proper induction into ketosis (I would not go by Ketosticks).

Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh View Post
    Using the Above to Recalculate Based on Goals
    You then need to DECREASE or INCREASE intake based on your goals (eg: lose or gain mass). For this - DO NOT use a 'generic calorie amounts' (eg: 500 cals/ day) to add / remove. Instead calculate a % of your maintenance. Why? The effect of different calorie amounts is going to be different based on someones size/ total calorie intake. For example - subtracting 500 cals/ day from a 1500 total intake is 1/3rd of the total cals, where 500 cals/ day from 3000 total intake is only 1/6th of the total. The results will therefore be markedly different on an individuals energy level & weight loss. Generally:
    - To ADD weight: ADD 10-20% of the TEE to your TEE calories
    - To LOSE weight: SUBTRACT 10-20% of the TEE to your TEE calories
    Then monitor your results and adjust as required.