Registered User TheStiffmeister's Avatar
    TheStiffmeister is just really nice. (+1000) TheStiffmeister is just really nice. (+1000) TheStiffmeister is just really nice. (+1000) TheStiffmeister is just really nice. (+1000) TheStiffmeister is just really nice. (+1000) TheStiffmeister is just really nice. (+1000) TheStiffmeister is just really nice. (+1000) TheStiffmeister is just really nice. (+1000) TheStiffmeister is just really nice. (+1000) TheStiffmeister is just really nice. (+1000) TheStiffmeister is just really nice. (+1000)

Please give opinion on LIGHTING for HOME BASEMENT GYM, Need assistance badly

So my home gym (not pictured) is in my basement.

There are NO WINDOWS and NO NATURAL LIGHTING.

It is Poured Concrete Walls, concrete floors, and wood beams above.

I have some SHOP LIGHTS hanging from the beams. But they always burnout. They are also VERY HARD on my Eyes and makes the room seem "HAZY" if that makes sense.

Here is a picture of a gym (NOT MINE) but this is how my ceilings are.

http://st.houzz.com/simgs/e791ae2e0f...n-home-gym.jpg

Can someone please offer some suggestions on lighting? I cant stand looking directly and seeing

http://www.rotwanglabs.com/cpg1419/a...hop_lights.jpg

thanks guys
    Godhand502 = the man!

Registered User TheStiffmeister's Avatar
    TheStiffmeister is just really nice. (+1000) TheStiffmeister is just really nice. (+1000) TheStiffmeister is just really nice. (+1000) TheStiffmeister is just really nice. (+1000) TheStiffmeister is just really nice. (+1000) TheStiffmeister is just really nice. (+1000) TheStiffmeister is just really nice. (+1000) TheStiffmeister is just really nice. (+1000) TheStiffmeister is just really nice. (+1000) TheStiffmeister is just really nice. (+1000) TheStiffmeister is just really nice. (+1000)
    i should note I bought a bunch of Full Spectrum Bulbs but I feel like the light does not "travel" well with them

i got the Alzo ones. Anyone have any great ideas? I workout at home and the lighting is killing my workouts. Miss that gym environment with great lighting
    Godhand502 = the man!

Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    A good paint job with some colors that are reflective and give off a positive vibe is where I would start. From there I would say to set up the florescent lights as indirect lighting using reflectors or diffusers or whatever for general room illumination. Use some incandescent bulbs for direct lighting where you need it. Recessed cans or track lighting can be pretty nice with the right trim and bulbs.

Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I hate overhead lighting in my gym area, so I usually don't have it on. Definitely do not have it on if I am benching.

So I use the lighting in the adjacent room and that gives me enough.

Why not just get a bunch of cheap floor lamps? Or some work lights like these

The halogen bulbs put out a lot of light and you can direct it where ever you want
    Boomer Rep Crew #1
    []---[] Equipment Crew #37 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #3 ()---()

"You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit."
    -Wendler

Milk is for babies. michaelstone's Avatar
    michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michaelstone is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Cleveland33 View Post

The halogen bulbs put out a lot of light and you can direct it where ever you want

They also put out a lot of heat too, just something to consider.
    "It's common knowledge man. You should only use Indica for bulking, Sativa for cutting."

"Who needs proper form? He was too busy setting PR's! Forget proper form, acquire PR's!"

"It's STILL your MUTHAFU$KIN set!!!!"

“Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but nobody wants to lift no heavy-ass weights.”

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Obviously, it's a matter of personal preference, but IMO, 4-or-8 ft fluorescent fixtures are about the worst choice possible. The light they give off is just too 'unnatural' looking, (even the 'soft-white' tubes).

I put in a mix of incandescent and halogen floods in my gym. Those, along with some natural light coming in the windows seems like a good blend to me.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    Well since your basement is unfinished I would figure out how you want it to look when completely finished and plan the lighting for that. Talk to your significant other about future plans for the space. figure out where to put the lighting and install it.

My basement gym is finished with a drop ceiling and fluorescent lights, plenty of them set in the ceiling with the proper type covering panels to diffuse the light so they aren't glaring and completely light the space. They are also where I want them, since I put them there, so I'm not looking up at them when lying on my bench.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have a full spectrum fluorescent torchiere lamp in the corner of mine. It puts out plenty of light. It's made to light a room, so the glass shield around it makes it so it doesn't bother you to look directly at it. It also doesn't get very hot.
    www.tworepcave.com
    Black Friday deals page updated daily through Nov 2022

MichaelKB is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelKB is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelKB is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelKB is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelKB is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelKB is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelKB is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelKB is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelKB is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelKB is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelKB is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Couple of track lights with some dimmers might be nice. Dim down a bit when you're going to be facing up, etc. Tracks would allow you to adjust and fine tune
    Michael

Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Lensed fixtures will take out some of the harshness and distribute the light more evenly in the space. These are surface mount but you can still hang them by chains if you need to.

[]---[] Equipment Crew Member No 7
    ()---() York Barbell Club #7 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #13 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #9 -!!!---!!!-

πŸ…ΎπŸ…ΌπŸ…΄πŸ…ΆπŸ…° πŸ††πŸ…΄πŸ…°πŸ…ΏπŸ…ΎπŸ…½ EjnarKolinkar's Avatar
    EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I agree it is good to look forward to your long term goals for the space. Hah, renovate an area for a short term fix for budget reasons often though.

An LED track light system is very easy to install, just attach the track to the joists and poin the heads where you need the light. LED flood style lamps actually have the LEDS oriented to throw a wider light pattern. This type of fixture is often useful even after future upgrade plans, or easily sold on CL.

Agree with other posters on floor based pole lights plugged into wall outlets as another simple short term fix, the three head models allow for some directional illumination. Just avoid use of extension cords.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl