Closed Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by davisj3537 View Post
    There are a few theories on it for different styles of lifting, but they're all pretty advanced in terms of nit picking your form.

It's common to see it done by shirted lifters because it allows them to touch a bit easier, or so that is the theory.

I've also seen references made to it loosening up the fascia along the torso supposedly (if I remember correctly) allowing for more pec engagement. Again pretty involved theory.

I personally do not lift my head because I lose stability. Your ability to lift more weight is magnified by how stable of a platform you're pressing from. Removing a contact point from the bench reduces stability.
    I think I've mentioned it before but for heavy /comp Bench I lift my head on the way down and jam it back on the way up in time with my leg drive (heels up), it gives me a bit of pop out of the bottom and helps my PERSONALLY keep my upper back tight and it feels better on my shoulders.

As to why? Unsure. nut it's not too watch the bar path, have my eyes shut usually ;-)

But for building my Bench with volume work, I keep my head down, no sinking, heels down) and use a closer grip with longer rom (oh to have a buffalo bar :-D)
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

nissan2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nissan2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nissan2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nissan2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nissan2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nissan2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nissan2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nissan2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nissan2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nissan2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nissan2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I am currently looking to bench 100kg by the end of the year, At the moment I have got it up to 85kg. I feel my form is pretty good, but one thing I am unsure of is where I am guiding the bar. I have fairly long arms, so when I am benching and trying to keep my elbows in line with my hands, the bar comes down to just above my abs, Is this to low? When I lock out, the bar is in line with my shoulders, however I'm not sure if this is to much of a diagonal path for bench?

I need about tree fiddy davisj3537's Avatar
    davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by nissan2 View Post
    I am currently looking to bench 100kg by the end of the year, At the moment I have got it up to 85kg. I feel my form is pretty good, but one thing I am unsure of is where I am guiding the bar. I have fairly long arms, so when I am benching and trying to keep my elbows in line with my hands, the bar comes down to just above my abs, Is this to low? When I lock out, the bar is in line with my shoulders, however I'm not sure if this is to much of a diagonal path for bench?
    That sounds right to me.

Tjbenz91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tjbenz91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tjbenz91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tjbenz91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tjbenz91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tjbenz91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tjbenz91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tjbenz91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tjbenz91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tjbenz91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tjbenz91 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Wrists straps are a biggie when lifting heavy

HannahForever is on a distinguished road. (+10) HannahForever is on a distinguished road. (+10) HannahForever is on a distinguished road. (+10) HannahForever is on a distinguished road. (+10) HannahForever is on a distinguished road. (+10) HannahForever is on a distinguished road. (+10) HannahForever is on a distinguished road. (+10) HannahForever is on a distinguished road. (+10) HannahForever is on a distinguished road. (+10) HannahForever is on a distinguished road. (+10) HannahForever is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up

Thanks for sharing this information…..gripping is the most important part which most do wrongly

Dani163 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thank you for the videos. I saw when you did the reps with the arched back and that you touched your upper core, shouldn't the bar touch above your chest when doing the bench press because the pec muscles we want to target? Also going down with bar will not give me the power to use my shoulders to lift the bar up because the bar is not in the level of my shoulders when it is down there?

davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Dani163 View Post
    Thank you for the videos. I saw when you did the reps with the arched back and that you touched your upper core, shouldn't the bar touch above your chest when doing the bench press because the pec muscles we want to target? Also going down with bar will not give me the power to use my shoulders to lift the bar up because the bar is not in the level of my shoulders when it is down there?
    I bench for powerlifting so my arch is aggressive, but that doesn't change the fact that you don't want to touch high on your chest. Your shoulder joints aren't designed to move that way. You're going to tear them up. Touching the bar lower doesn't remove chest or shoulders from the lift at all.

zosek is on a distinguished road. (+10) zosek is on a distinguished road. (+10) zosek is on a distinguished road. (+10) zosek is on a distinguished road. (+10) zosek is on a distinguished road. (+10) zosek is on a distinguished road. (+10) zosek is on a distinguished road. (+10) zosek is on a distinguished road. (+10) zosek is on a distinguished road. (+10) zosek is on a distinguished road. (+10) zosek is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey benching people,

i dont really know if this is worth a new bench thread since this one is here, that is why im asking here.
    9 years ago i had spinal fusion operation (s****osis (for some reason this is edited, it reads sc-oli-osis) - overly curved spine had to be straightened, now i have 2 titanium rods in my body supporting my spine). I joined the gym around 5 years ago to build some muscle to help me support my spine and get better posture. The problem with spinal fusion is, i literally cant arch my back during bench. It's not that i dont want to or i'm not flexible enough, its the fact that the two titanium rods in me wont bent, so neither can i . Is there something wrong benching with almost (some arch is possible to a degree) flat back?
    I talked with the doctor that performed the operation on me and my physician, both said that as long as i dont feel any pain i should be good to go. Any thoughts on this matter?

Originally Posted by zosek View Post
    Hey benching people,

i dont really know if this is worth a new bench thread since this one is here, that is why im asking here.
    9 years ago i had spinal fusion operation (s****osis (for some reason this is edited, it reads sc-oli-osis) - overly curved spine had to be straightened, now i have 2 titanium rods in my body supporting my spine). I joined the gym around 5 years ago to build some muscle to help me support my spine and get better posture. The problem with spinal fusion is, i literally cant arch my back during bench. It's not that i dont want to or i'm not flexible enough, its the fact that the two titanium rods in me wont bent, so neither can i . Is there something wrong benching with almost (some arch is possible to a degree) flat back?
    I talked with the doctor that performed the operation on me and my physician, both said that as long as i dont feel any pain i should be good to go. Any thoughts on this matter?
    It sounds like you've already made the smart choice to talk with your physician and get an expert opinion. Nice job mate. As for benching with a very tiny arch; that is totally fine. I wouldn't want a completely flat back, but even a tiny arch is great.

zosek is on a distinguished road. (+10) zosek is on a distinguished road. (+10) zosek is on a distinguished road. (+10) zosek is on a distinguished road. (+10) zosek is on a distinguished road. (+10) zosek is on a distinguished road. (+10) zosek is on a distinguished road. (+10) zosek is on a distinguished road. (+10) zosek is on a distinguished road. (+10) zosek is on a distinguished road. (+10) zosek is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thank you. I'll make sure to arch as much as i can.

Ginaathletic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ginaathletic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ginaathletic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ginaathletic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ginaathletic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ginaathletic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ginaathletic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ginaathletic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ginaathletic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ginaathletic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ginaathletic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I do a Twitchy Seal Jack + Explosive Medball superset Press before my Bench Press. This CNS primer superset will activate your postural stabilizers of your core, hops, shoulders and trigger a heightened neurological state to help you perform more powerful and pain-free bench presses. I do 2 to 3 total supersets with short 30 seconds rest in between sets.

brynwolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) brynwolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) brynwolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) brynwolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) brynwolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) brynwolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) brynwolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) brynwolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) brynwolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) brynwolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) brynwolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    helpful

ejohnson135 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ejohnson135 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ejohnson135 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ejohnson135 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ejohnson135 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ejohnson135 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ejohnson135 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ejohnson135 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ejohnson135 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ejohnson135 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ejohnson135 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Angry

Great article,
    There is greatly valuable data in this thread.There is no preferred approach to battle shortcoming over with strength.Everybody needs to be a muscle head, however, don't no one wanna lift no substantial ass weights.Of course, that at that point streams down to hold width.
    Thanks man

Nehm is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey guys.
    I've been going to the gym for 5 months now, and doing my bench with dumbells. Only started doing with the bar for the last 10 times or so. But my form is really ****ed, and nothing seems to help to correct it. It seems one of my arms are taking a different path than the other. It might be something to do with my shoulders, elbow or wrists, I don't know. Anyway, I can't lift much weight or improve much.

I also get this problem with my military press, which I've been doing with barbells for all 5 months without progressing. My training partner got similar lifts as me in every exercise, except these two - where he is twice as strong.

Might it be a shoulder problem? I get this even with dumbells, and I don't even know which arm is ****ed.

Added a webm where I'm lifting 45kg's: https: //gfycat.com/UnawareBriskBilby (this is happening even when I'm using only the bar)

You are gripping the bar fine, but then shifting the whole damn thing over 2 inches to the right. When the bar touches your chest it should be centered...just shift the bar to the left two inches.

IwannaGrowMore is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hello, I have round shoulder and it's been like 2 years I'm trying to have a better posture by keeping my torso straight and exercising the back of my shoulder, but now I do not know if it's related or not, but I have pain in my rear shoulder when I bench press, still I make sure my shoulders blade are squeeze when I bench press.

EthanHun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EthanHun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EthanHun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EthanHun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EthanHun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EthanHun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EthanHun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EthanHun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EthanHun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EthanHun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EthanHun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    hows my form look

~ ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE ~

Journey to 405+ bench and beyond! - https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=176215051
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAmJ5mQ0uD8&t=1s

^^ Completed 1/5/22

Originally Posted by IwannaGrowMore View Post
    Hello, I have round shoulder and it's been like 2 years I'm trying to have a better posture by keeping my torso straight and exercising the back of my shoulder, but now I do not know if it's related or not, but I have pain in my rear shoulder when I bench press, still I make sure my shoulders blade are squeeze when I bench press.
    That is a tough one man. A physical therapist or dr visit might be helpful. It's impossible to diagnose stuff on the internet:/
    Originally Posted by EthanHun View Post
    hows my form look

Strong pressing dude. It's kind of a bad angle and too far away to really tell much. What I can say for sure is that you're internally rotating your shoulders which is something you want to avoid in the future. You can either take a lower bar path or widen your grip to fix it.

johnrekt is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm thinking of buying wrist straps after reading this threat lol

anonymous
    All I want for my birthday is a set of pecks. I am so disheartened regarding building my chest - I don't know what to do anymore and think I am now starting to go in circles. Been training serious (program and diet) for almost 2 years. The rest of my body is going as I want it to but my chest is just stupid. I hardly ever feel it burn, its mostly my shoulders that burn. I think my biggest problem is I battle to activate my pecks. They feel pumped during parts of my workout and during other parts not - its just not the same as when I do other parts of my body. Worst thing is, since about 2 months ago I have not had ANY DOMS after doing chest which really worries me.

For a while I did barbell and dumbbell flat and incline bench mostly, then moved to mostly cable crossover and peck desk, currently I am doing flat bench, incline bench, peck deck, cable crossover with some activation exercises in between like push-ups...and I don't have ANY muscle soreness after. I don't have muscle soreness like a beginner on other body parts but you guys know what I mean - there is still some soreness and you know then you did good.

Currently for flat and incline bench I am going a little lighter for form and arching my back, trying to keep my shoulders tucked in, elbows roughly 45 degree out and thinking chest muscle when I press...trying so hard to tense them up but feels like I am failing badly. I am extremely frustrated at this point. I also do some activation exercises before I start like push-ups or close dumbbell press with light flyes.

Really need some help. I must be doing something wrong - I've gone wrong somewhere and now battling to doing the CHEST exercises with my CHEST or something...I am don't know. Any help please?

Tomoasnage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tomoasnage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tomoasnage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tomoasnage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tomoasnage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tomoasnage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tomoasnage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tomoasnage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tomoasnage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tomoasnage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tomoasnage is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Happy2Train View Post
    All I want for my birthday is a set of pecks. I am so disheartened regarding building my chest - I don't know what to do anymore and think I am now starting to go in circles. Been training serious (program and diet) for almost 2 years. The rest of my body is going as I want it to but my chest is just stupid. I hardly ever feel it burn, its mostly my shoulders that burn. I think my biggest problem is I battle to activate my pecks. They feel pumped during parts of my workout and during other parts not - its just not the same as when I do other parts of my body. Worst thing is, since about 2 months ago I have not had ANY DOMS after doing chest which really worries me.

For a while I did barbell and dumbbell flat and incline bench mostly, then moved to mostly cable crossover and peck desk, currently I am doing flat bench, incline bench, peck deck, cable crossover with some activation exercises in between like push-ups...and I don't have ANY muscle soreness after. I don't have muscle soreness like a beginner on other body parts but you guys know what I mean - there is still some soreness and you know then you did good.

Currently for flat and incline bench I am going a little lighter for form and arching my back, trying to keep my shoulders tucked in, elbows roughly 45 degree out and thinking chest muscle when I press...trying so hard to tense them up but feels like I am failing badly. I am extremely frustrated at this point. I also do some activation exercises before I start like push-ups or close dumbbell press with light flyes.

Really need some help. I must be doing something wrong - I've gone wrong somewhere and now battling to doing the CHEST exercises with my CHEST or something...I am don't know. Any help please?
    I have a similar problem.
    If you mainly feel your shoulders maybe try to do decline bp, or arching your back more. (I know, it decreases range of motion a bit, but you can play with grip width to compensate.) Both brings the chest muscle in a direction which activates more fibres overall (not only the lower ones), and it takes out anterior delts. This is what I do know.
    If that still doesn't make you feel your pecs, try to do peck decks first to pre-exhaust your pecs and afterwards heavy decline bench press.
    That's what I do know and feels good so far.

bojanglez34 is just really nice. (+1000) bojanglez34 is just really nice. (+1000) bojanglez34 is just really nice. (+1000) bojanglez34 is just really nice. (+1000) bojanglez34 is just really nice. (+1000) bojanglez34 is just really nice. (+1000) bojanglez34 is just really nice. (+1000) bojanglez34 is just really nice. (+1000) bojanglez34 is just really nice. (+1000) bojanglez34 is just really nice. (+1000) bojanglez34 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Bump thanks for the tips I have to try this especially the shoulder blades part
    Definitely not 48 I’m 21 idk how to change

Chanelyn is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Can someone clear the feet positioning for me? I've watched countless videos and stuff about that, and every strong bench presser has their feet flat and open wide. I tried that out but I feel very unstable and weak in that position. I've been benching with my feet very close to the bench heels up and I feel very stable in that position. Should I keep practicing having flat and more open feet and adapt that or stick to my current technique?

JRsworld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JRsworld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JRsworld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JRsworld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JRsworld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JRsworld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JRsworld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JRsworld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JRsworld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JRsworld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Dope thread!

Originally Posted by Chanelyn View Post
    Can someone clear the feet positioning for me? I've watched countless videos and stuff about that, and every strong bench presser has their feet flat and open wide. I tried that out but I feel very unstable and weak in that position. I've been benching with my feet very close to the bench heels up and I feel very stable in that position. Should I keep practicing having flat and more open feet and adapt that or stick to my current technique?
    There are a lot of guys that prefer feet close and heels up. I wouldn't worry about it. Do what works best for you.
    Experience, not just theory

gr3gorio has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gr3gorio has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gr3gorio has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gr3gorio has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gr3gorio has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gr3gorio has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gr3gorio has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gr3gorio has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gr3gorio has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Thanks for all the info there's a lot of it.

shmern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wow, great thread! Much appreciated.

gr3gorio has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gr3gorio has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gr3gorio has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gr3gorio has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gr3gorio has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gr3gorio has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gr3gorio has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gr3gorio has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gr3gorio has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I always learn new things when I visit this thread

coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50) coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50) coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50) coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50) coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50) coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50) coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50) coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50) coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50) coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50) coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I’ve got a dilemma... The pins on the bench are too high for me to retract my shoulder blades on the liftoff, and starting from the lower pins have me using my front delts enough to exhaust me before I begin. I can’t set up in the power rack because the individual benches are actually higher off the ground than the bench press benches, so I can’t get good leg drive. I’ve tried putting plates under my feet, but this somehow doesn’t work... I don’t want to ask for a spotter every time I bench because I’m not always going to be able to have one and I don’t want to become dependent. I tried to lift off without my shoulders retracted so I could immediately retract them once I got the bar out of the pins, but I felt a sharp pain in my elbow when doing this. I feel like I’ve tried everything available to me.
    Last edited by coeur; 10-07-2018 at 06:58 PM.

coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50) coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50) coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50) coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50) coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50) coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50) coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50) coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50) coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50) coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50) coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Update: I took some weight off the bar and started lifting my butt off the chair and pushing my hips back to unrack it, and so far I’m liking it. I hope this translates well when I go heavier.

Urnrelated but this site is a DISASTER on mobile, tried to quote myself and things did not go well. It’s 2018 this place needs an app