Closed Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Registered User StrawHatPatriot's Avatar
    StrawHatPatriot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    One thing that's important about dumbbell presses are the stretch. I was feeling it in my rotator cuff because I wasn't fully stretching my arm enough.

Don't flare elbows to much, but try to really extend hard.

DimmuBurger has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DimmuBurger has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Great post for some basic tips. Thanks!

Patrickclose09 is not very well liked. (-100) Patrickclose09 is not very well liked. (-100) Patrickclose09 is not very well liked. (-100) Patrickclose09 is not very well liked. (-100) Patrickclose09 is not very well liked. (-100) Patrickclose09 is not very well liked. (-100) Patrickclose09 is not very well liked. (-100) Patrickclose09 is not very well liked. (-100) Patrickclose09 is not very well liked. (-100) Patrickclose09 is not very well liked. (-100) Patrickclose09 is not very well liked. (-100)
    I've been bench pressing for years, my weight never seems to go up like my squat/deadlift does (my unassisted max is about 110-120kg). I took a month off to focus on DB press and now when I barbell bench press the bar is wonky. Like the left side is angled a little towards my feet and the right towards my head. I've never had this before but I think it's my right shoulder trying to take over more of the movement (my delts ALWAYS have DOMs after bench). How can I correct this?

I need about tree fiddy davisj3537's Avatar
    davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Patrickclose09 View Post
    I've been bench pressing for years, my weight never seems to go up like my squat/deadlift does (my unassisted max is about 110-120kg). I took a month off to focus on DB press and now when I barbell bench press the bar is wonky. Like the left side is angled a little towards my feet and the right towards my head. I've never had this before but I think it's my right shoulder trying to take over more of the movement (my delts ALWAYS have DOMs after bench). How can I correct this?
    Start your own thread with a video. Good luck.
    Experience, not just theory

AlphaProExpert has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlphaProExpert has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlphaProExpert has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlphaProExpert has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlphaProExpert has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlphaProExpert has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlphaProExpert has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlphaProExpert has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlphaProExpert has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlphaProExpert has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlphaProExpert has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good thread.

Alpha Pro Nutrition spokesperson
    Greatness Expected™

Now available in the store! http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/alpha-pro-nutrition.htm

UPLOAD®, VEX®, INTRALOAD®, ALPHA CUTS®

www.alphapronutrition.com

☑*CountryMike Appreciation Crew*☑

Newlife761 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Newlife761 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Newlife761 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Newlife761 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Newlife761 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Newlife761 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Newlife761 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Newlife761 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Newlife761 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Newlife761 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Newlife761 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Maybe a dumb question but I'm still learning this lifting thing out. I wanted to see what my one rep max was on bench tonight and I was alone at the gym. Obviously I know better than to lift alone so I moved a bench over to the smith machine.

I started my warm up sets at normal with one 45. Then a 45 and 25 and progressed forward. These are both ends obviously. I noticed the bar felt a little lighter but not much. And I'm also not sure if that was just me or what.

Anyways. I reached what if counting the bar weight was my one rep max at 325 lbs. Is this accurate or should I think really more around 280. Either way it felt great. And even better knowing if it's 280 then its only 25lbs shy of my body weight. If it's 325 I'm able to lift 20 lbs more than my body weight.

davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Newlife761 View Post
    Maybe a dumb question but I'm still learning this lifting thing out. I wanted to see what my one rep max was on bench tonight and I was alone at the gym. Obviously I know better than to lift alone so I moved a bench over to the smith machine.

I started my warm up sets at normal with one 45. Then a 45 and 25 and progressed forward. These are both ends obviously. I noticed the bar felt a little lighter but not much. And I'm also not sure if that was just me or what.

Anyways. I reached what if counting the bar weight was my one rep max at 325 lbs. Is this accurate or should I think really more around 280. Either way it felt great. And even better knowing if it's 280 then its only 25lbs shy of my body weight. If it's 325 I'm able to lift 20 lbs more than my body weight.
    You can't compare smith machine weight to a bench press. It's lighter and on a track. Your actual bench press will be noticeably lighter. They are different lifts entirely. Don't compare them.

Newlife761 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Newlife761 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Newlife761 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Newlife761 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Newlife761 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Newlife761 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Newlife761 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Newlife761 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Newlife761 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Newlife761 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Newlife761 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by davisj3537 View Post
    You can't compare smith machine weight to a bench press. It's lighter and on a track. Your actual bench press will be noticeably lighter. They are different lifts entirely. Don't compare them.
    So should I take off the 45 lbs of the bar or not even count the work done as my 1 rep max?

Originally Posted by Newlife761 View Post
    So should I take off the 45 lbs of the bar or not even count the work done as my 1 rep max?
    It doesn't count as a bench max at all. It is a smith machine bench max. Remember they are different lifts.

jeanboisson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hello,

I found too much useful information in this thread. And this will help me greatly in my profession.
    Thanks, keep us updated

Regards,
    Jean Boissonneault

Rodman1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rodman1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rodman1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rodman1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rodman1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rodman1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rodman1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rodman1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rodman1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rodman1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rodman1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Basic tips, just what I needed, thanks!

SmackBang77 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SmackBang77 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SmackBang77 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SmackBang77 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SmackBang77 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SmackBang77 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SmackBang77 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SmackBang77 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SmackBang77 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SmackBang77 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SmackBang77 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    holy sht I was flaring my elbows all the time. And I can definitely feel the discomfort in my elbows when I'm doing it, also I'd like to mention that grip strength (clenching hard on the DB) has helped me keep the tightness of the form, probably the only reason I haven't injured myself yet.

beardohio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) beardohio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) beardohio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) beardohio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) beardohio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) beardohio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) beardohio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) beardohio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) beardohio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) beardohio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) beardohio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SmackBang77 View Post
    holy sht I was flaring my elbows all the time. And I can definitely feel the discomfort in my elbows when I'm doing it, also I'd like to mention that grip strength (clenching hard on the DB) has helped me keep the tightness of the form, probably the only reason I haven't injured myself yet.
    Get those elbows in, you got this!

Nail the new form before you move up in weight. I'm sure you will catch your body reverting back to your old ways...keep an eye on it. Grip strength is just a part of the equation, nail the rest and you will see your numbers climb. Good luck!
    Beard

Fierce 5 Novice Program
    Workout Journal (paused):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169833523

chrisp44s is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisp44s is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisp44s is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisp44s is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisp44s is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisp44s is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisp44s is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisp44s is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisp44s is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisp44s is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisp44s is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by WeedyRainfall View Post
    there is too much useful information in this thread, which means that all noobs will ignore it. each noob is a special little snowflake that must have his form and program personally addressed individually, rather than improving it himself by seeking universally useful information in a thread like this, or a "sticky", whatever the hell that is.
    as long as they take something from it and use it

LittlePrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) LittlePrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) LittlePrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) LittlePrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) LittlePrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) LittlePrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) LittlePrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) LittlePrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) LittlePrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) LittlePrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) LittlePrince will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Even for routine lifters, it's good to be aware of the basics every once in awhile

For themselves and, if required, others in the gym.

Thanks for the post and easy to read summary of a proper bench form.
    Under neon loneliness...

FallenAngel80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FallenAngel80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FallenAngel80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FallenAngel80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FallenAngel80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FallenAngel80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FallenAngel80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FallenAngel80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FallenAngel80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FallenAngel80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FallenAngel80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thanks for this thread. I was directed here by another member. I've only been benching for two months but have made minimal progress; it seems my form needs a lot of work! Best get cracking, thank you
    - Fallen Angel -

Journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169571783

Training PRs: 170/104/260
    Meet PRs: 149/93/220

Goals: 200/132/300

bsevans5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I get that video would likely be helpful, but at this point, don't have it. I'm hoping maybe someone can help based on my description...I'm new to weights (about a month). I'm 34, 6'1" and about 183. I started my gym journey trying the "Rewired" program available on the bodybuilding.com website. It has you workout a different muscle group each day for 5 days and then rest. Most days have a couple rounds of supersets and then a triset of exercises. Chest day is a little less. It has a warm-up superset (pushups and such) a working superset and then a triset. I focus on retracting my shoulder blades. I've watched a number of videos and I've read threads like this one. You do the exercises for three sets: a 15 rep set, 12, and then 10.

I'm having a hard time feeling like I'm contracting my chest. I know I don't have much chest muscles at this point, so that might be part of it, but even when I do my other exercises--despite how light I have to do, I can certainly feel it. Today I did chest and even though I had my shoulder blades retracted, I could feel my left shoulder shift in the socket to try and help press the weight. I am not sure how else to describe it. I tried focusing on not doing it, but when I got stuck pushing the bar up, it happened anyway. I know this isn't right and it caused some shoulder pain, but I'm not sure how to correct this problem. I tried lighter weight, but it seemed too light and then I went up and it seemed too heavy (I'm talking about adjusting 5 lbs on either side).

Any information people have would be great.

Originally Posted by bsevans5 View Post
    I get that video would likely be helpful, but at this point, don't have it. I'm hoping maybe someone can help based on my description...I'm new to weights (about a month). I'm 34, 6'1" and about 183. I started my gym journey trying the "Rewired" program available on the bodybuilding.com website. It has you workout a different muscle group each day for 5 days and then rest. Most days have a couple rounds of supersets and then a triset of exercises. Chest day is a little less. It has a warm-up superset (pushups and such) a working superset and then a triset. I focus on retracting my shoulder blades. I've watched a number of videos and I've read threads like this one. You do the exercises for three sets: a 15 rep set, 12, and then 10.

I'm having a hard time feeling like I'm contracting my chest. I know I don't have much chest muscles at this point, so that might be part of it, but even when I do my other exercises--despite how light I have to do, I can certainly feel it. Today I did chest and even though I had my shoulder blades retracted, I could feel my left shoulder shift in the socket to try and help press the weight. I am not sure how else to describe it. I tried focusing on not doing it, but when I got stuck pushing the bar up, it happened anyway. I know this isn't right and it caused some shoulder pain, but I'm not sure how to correct this problem. I tried lighter weight, but it seemed too light and then I went up and it seemed too heavy (I'm talking about adjusting 5 lbs on either side).

Any information people have would be great.
    Your shoulder is shifting in the socket because you're trying to lift heavy before you have the form down. When you TRULY master bench form your shoulder won't be moving in the socket regardless of how hard you're trying to press.

This is the hardest part of bench form in my opinion. It takes months of working with light weights to really master keeping the shoulder blades back.

As for now, stop worrying about chest activation. I also rarely feel bench working pecs. Burn or pump isn't an indication that an exercise is working a certain muscle.

Your shoulder is shifting in the socket because you're trying to lift heavy before you have the form down. When you TRULY master bench form your shoulder won't be moving in the socket regardless of how hard you're trying to press.

This is the hardest part of bench form in my opinion. It takes months of working with light weights to really master keeping the shoulder blades back.

As for now, stop worrying about chest activation. I also rarely feel bench working pecs. Burn or pump isn't an indication that an exercise is working a certain muscle.
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad to hear someone gets what is going on. I spent a ton of time watching some videos about bench press form that someone recommended in this tread. I don't know if form is the same for powerlifting vs. bodybuilding (I don't know if I'm even using those terms right)? I will try and implement what I saw. I know "heavy" is a relative term. I wasn't lifting much weight when this happened, but it was probably heavy for me since I don't have much upper body strength. I appreciate your help.

Originally Posted by bsevans5 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad to hear someone gets what is going on. I spent a ton of time watching some videos about bench press form that someone recommended in this tread. I don't know if form is the same for powerlifting vs. bodybuilding (I don't know if I'm even using those terms right)? I will try and implement what I saw. I know "heavy" is a relative term. I wasn't lifting much weight when this happened, but it was probably heavy for me since I don't have much upper body strength. I appreciate your help.
    Stay away from heavy weight (for you) until you have gotten your form down perfect. There is a saying that it takes 1000 reps to solidify new form. Stay light to moderate (for you) for a few months and you'll be well on your way to 1000 reps.

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Stay away from heavy weight (for you) until you have gotten your form down perfect. There is a saying that it takes 1000 reps to solidify new form. Stay light to moderate (for you) for a few months and you'll be well on your way to 1000 reps.

I think the science says that would be a bit of a lowball number sir!

Studies suggest it takes around 300-500 reps to burn in a fresh new motor pattern. But 3000-5000 to erase and fix a faulty motor pattern..

Even better is the 10k+ reps to master it once you learn it.

Tldr: do it right the first time! :-)
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

Originally Posted by MyEgoProblem View Post

Studies suggest it takes around 300-500 reps to burn in a fresh new motor pattern. But 3000-5000 to erase and fix a faulty motor pattern..

I appreciate the suggestions. Fortunately I don't have much experience, so I don't have to relearn much. My biggest concern is even knowing what the correct form is, actually executing it without someone there to tell me what I'm doing right or wrong, but I guess knowing the right form and trying to focus on it has got to be better than what I was doing before.

Originally Posted by MyEgoProblem View Post

10k reps...I'll never learn anything again. lol

beardohio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) beardohio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) beardohio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) beardohio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) beardohio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) beardohio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) beardohio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) beardohio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) beardohio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) beardohio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) beardohio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by superbSupriya1 View Post
    Its trainer duty to look on such thing if the wrist or elbow joints got break then there will be no use of exercise.
    Beard

Fierce 5 Novice Program
    Workout Journal (paused):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169833523

Most trainers aren't even aware half these problems exist. Expecting them to fix your form is hopeless. They got a two day education covering everything. I could spend two days (and have) learning ONLY about bench and I still have TONS to learn.

jamal44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great article, really well written. it is important for new lifters to differentiate why people use different forms depending on what they are training for.

IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Bar, warm up weight, working weight, doesn't matter to me. I personally press the bar like I would when I'm lifting my working weight. I actually setup, get tight, flex and bend the bar while pressing like I would if I had my working weight on there. IMO it's a good way to get your mind and body ready for the proper form and effort needed to lift your working weight. Don't just lift the bar like it's just the bar or lift 75lbs like it's "just warm up weight". Get under there, setup, get tight, flex your whole body and press as if it were your working weight.

One major thing I had to fix, that's in the OP was my hand position. My wrists were hurting a good bit which was because I wasn't paying attention to how leaned back my hands were, instead of being straight up or with my knuckles toward the sky. I got that tip from another Tuber by the name of Alan Thrall. He mentions it @ 8:50 of this video. I trust this guy a lot.

Hope it's ok to post this in here if not delete it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYKScL2sgCs

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Brilliant vid IronKrazy! Ideal thread for it.
    Alan thrall puts out solid info!

Regarding pushing every rep as if it's a top set. Perfect :-). compensatory acceleration.

I set up the same for just the bar as i do for a 1rm too. Almost hurts. Lol
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks bro, with a reply like that and from you considering your progress it assures me that I actually am doing this whole lifting thing correctly lol.

I agree on setup, form and tightness during ALL sets. I think I mentioned it during warmup sets, BUT it has been quite some time since I read the thread myself so I could be confusing it with my other work.

Regardless, thanks of the input and thanks for posting a good vid man. I appreciate your input and good input at that. Best of luck!