Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Boffothe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boffothe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boffothe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boffothe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boffothe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boffothe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boffothe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boffothe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boffothe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boffothe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boffothe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Tapciv View Post

That said, I heard a story (from people that used to train with him that I currently train with) that a certain former UFC champion was attacked by multiple attackers, some with weapons and some without and he simply messed them up, but was able to take them out 1 at a time (not often the case).
    There's a famous story of Chuck Liddell blasting multiple guys in a bar fight when he was managed by Dana
    he explains the story as "I just put my back against the wall and did what I do."

I throw spinning sh*t HardGainer82's Avatar
    HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Workout4ever View Post
    I'd rather face any of those scenario's knowing jujitsu than not knowing it

Just saying.
    This is the right answer, IMO. With boxing/MT you can throw blows and/or run, but if you fall or get knocked down, you are totally f*cked. If you train a grappling art, you can still run, or take the guy down if the situation is feasible, and if you end up on the ground, you at least can defend yourself and not be a flailing idiot. And multiple attackers are still going to ruin your day even if you want to try to punch with them; it's pretty hard to block 4-6 fists at one time...

Even if you think striking is superior in such an altercation (leaving out the multiple attacker scenario - you should have booked it already), you have to think of it this way - on the ground, once you're in control, you're in control, you can hold someone down, choke them, restrain them, etc., in a brawl, even an untrained guy has a waaaay better chance of clipping you on the feet than he does from the bottom of a full mount. And you're going to be way more relaxed and able to monitor your surroundings in this situation, because going toe-to-toe with someone is going to take up just as much or more of your focus than sitting on them; you're still open to second attacks.

But untrained guys will always envision 6 months of boxing lessons will enable them to matrix around in a crowd of 3 guys, dropping each of them with a single touch of their mighty jab and strolling away. Good luck with that.
    "The sun is always gonna rise, and always gonna set and I'll just keep on punching because everyday is gonna bring something different and I just want to be ready for it."
    - Jens Pulver

If you refer to a fighter who you've never met in real life as "my boy" as though their performance somehow reflects well on you for simply being a fan, you're a lame ass.

Registered User American_Maniac's Avatar
    American_Maniac is just really nice. (+1000) American_Maniac is just really nice. (+1000) American_Maniac is just really nice. (+1000) American_Maniac is just really nice. (+1000) American_Maniac is just really nice. (+1000) American_Maniac is just really nice. (+1000) American_Maniac is just really nice. (+1000) American_Maniac is just really nice. (+1000) American_Maniac is just really nice. (+1000) American_Maniac is just really nice. (+1000) American_Maniac is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by HardGainer82 View Post
    This is the right answer, IMO. With boxing/MT you can throw blows and/or run, but if you fall or get knocked down, you are totally f*cked. If you train a grappling art, you can still run, or take the guy down if the situation is feasible, and if you end up on the ground, you at least can defend yourself and not be a flailing idiot. And multiple attackers are still going to ruin your day even if you want to try to punch with them; it's pretty hard to block 4-6 fists at one time...

Even if you think striking is superior in such an altercation (leaving out the multiple attacker scenario - you should have booked it already), you have to think of it this way - on the ground, once you're in control, you're in control, you can hold someone down, choke them, restrain them, etc., in a brawl, even an untrained guy has a waaaay better chance of clipping you on the feet than he does from the bottom of a full mount. And you're going to be way more relaxed and able to monitor your surroundings in this situation, because going toe-to-toe with someone is going to take up just as much or more of your focus than sitting on them; you're still open to second attacks.

But untrained guys will always envision 6 months of boxing lessons will enable them to matrix around in a crowd of 3 guys, dropping each of them with a single touch of their mighty jab and strolling away. Good luck with that.
    You summed it up exactly right, I can tell you understand the reality of a street situation. You will never convince the guys who do boxing because they are brainwashed just as bad as the guys who still train kung fu and think it will work. It is only the people who have trained with multiple styles such as BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing, and Wrestling who are able to understand the full picture and how effective each style would be.

Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by American_Maniac View Post
    You summed it up exactly right, I can tell you understand the reality of a street situation. You will never convince the guys who do boxing because they are brainwashed just as bad as the guys who still train kung fu and think it will work. It is only the people who have trained with multiple styles such as BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing, and Wrestling who are able to understand the full picture and how effective each style would be.
    This. I commonly hear in boxers in our gym say "I'd just toss the guy off of me" and laugh. It is funny because a few weeks back one of the pro mma guys who walks around at about 155ish (fights 125-135) got into an altercation with a professional boxer who fights at HW and walks around at 250 (easily and if not more). The MMA guy was able to get him down and take his back and apply a choke before the boxer even had full time to react. There was an element of surprise, so I can't say it was exactly a fair fight but the point is that this whole idea of just "throwing someone off" is nonsense.

After that, the boxer was intrigued but since he is only boxing probably will not bother but his friend/training partner said he was interested and had to learn the stuff.
    BJJ Brah

Nara62629 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nara62629 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nara62629 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nara62629 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nara62629 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nara62629 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nara62629 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nara62629 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nara62629 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nara62629 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nara62629 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by cgc View Post
    This seems like a post back from 2009.

Also, most street fights I've seen or have been in end up on the ground at some point.

Your best defense in a street fight is to either avoid it, or get the heck out of there.
    this. work on your ability to talk ppl down and cardio. cuz i'm not chasing anyone. and if they chase me, i would hope they're more tired than i am...
    Misc Crypto Chat - https://discord.gg/NTbdBMu come chat with us!

USMC '00-'06

BSCE - Washington State '12

GO COUGS! - GO NINERS!

RAGEDEMON87 is not very helpful. (-500) RAGEDEMON87 is not very helpful. (-500) RAGEDEMON87 is not very helpful. (-500) RAGEDEMON87 is not very helpful. (-500) RAGEDEMON87 is not very helpful. (-500) RAGEDEMON87 is not very helpful. (-500) RAGEDEMON87 is not very helpful. (-500) RAGEDEMON87 is not very helpful. (-500) RAGEDEMON87 is not very helpful. (-500) RAGEDEMON87 is not very helpful. (-500) RAGEDEMON87 is not very helpful. (-500)
    boxing/wrestling

J-Cubed is a name known to all. (+5000) J-Cubed is a name known to all. (+5000) J-Cubed is a name known to all. (+5000) J-Cubed is a name known to all. (+5000) J-Cubed is a name known to all. (+5000) J-Cubed is a name known to all. (+5000) J-Cubed is a name known to all. (+5000) J-Cubed is a name known to all. (+5000) J-Cubed is a name known to all. (+5000) J-Cubed is a name known to all. (+5000) J-Cubed is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It can only help. Obviously avoid going to the ground in a street situation if it is more than 1 v 1. Chances are your opponents buddies are on the way to kick you when you're down so make it quick. Don't try to submit from the ground on the street, look for the sweeps, settle in and mount then ground and pound. Don't go for fancy armbars from guard or triangles on the concrete because you will get slammed if he is a lot larger than you.
    [A]lpha [B]eard [C]rew
    300+ Bench Crew
    IRB 9k+
    ~Polish Strength Genetics~

uoyeesi will become famous soon enough. (+50) uoyeesi will become famous soon enough. (+50) uoyeesi will become famous soon enough. (+50) uoyeesi will become famous soon enough. (+50) uoyeesi will become famous soon enough. (+50) uoyeesi will become famous soon enough. (+50) uoyeesi will become famous soon enough. (+50) uoyeesi will become famous soon enough. (+50) uoyeesi will become famous soon enough. (+50) uoyeesi will become famous soon enough. (+50) uoyeesi will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have competed in both BJJ and boxing. I wouldn't use the BJJ unless I absolutely had too. Would rather end it quickly with straight punches.

sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You guys are forgetting about the clinch
    “If you think about disaster, you will get it. Brood about death and you hasten your demise. Think positively and masterfully, with confidence and faith, and life becomes more secure, more fraught with action, richer in achievement and experience.”
    ― Swami Sivananda

Fulfilling Your Destiny Will Not Be Easy

"Man, you better duck out, #GetTheBag and then Bug Out"

- El-P

Misc Armchair Counsellor MantisShrimp's Avatar
    MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Gracie Jiu-Jitsu is not, and has never been just about ground fighting. It was designed as a complete self-defense system. There is a lot of emphasis on ground work but there is also some striking, standing holds, judo style throws, standing escapes, and other stuff that you will be taught, over time, at a good GJJ school. People who think that jiu-jitsu teaches people how to get soccer kicked in the head are idiots who probably don't train. If nothing else, jiu-jitsu teaches you how to ESCAPE ground positions so you can either run away, or use the glorified magic striking arts that America has remained obsessed with for 100+ years.
    Live Laugh Love,
    MantisShrimp
    Misc Armchair Counsellor

Misc Armchair Counsellor MantisShrimp's Avatar
    MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by chucksmanhood View Post
    LEARN TO FIGHT, which style you choose is up to you. BJJ is fine.
    Risk of getting your ass kicked scale:

0% chance |---------------1-2-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------3--------- 100% chance

1. Consistent MMA training
    2. Consistent BJJ/MT/Krav/Boxing/Judo/Wrestling/Kali/Probably Even Nunchuck training
    3. Sitting around on the internet splitting hairs over which is the perfect self-defense system, in order to put off having to do the work of committing to one of them
    Live Laugh Love,
    MantisShrimp
    Misc Armchair Counsellor

HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you train jiujitsu, then you train to fight against multiple attackers and attackers with weapons etc as well as the ground side. I've never been to a BJJ class, but do they never cover that side of things, is it all groundwork only?

When I watched the belcao fight outside the gas station I thought if they had been used to defending themselves against people wielding bats, they would have probably been able to take the bats from the attackers and at least scare them off. Or if not do that then at least avoided having their heads staved in with the bats. Of course they may have just gone down anyway, but I find that someone swinging a bat is a lot easier to get out of the way or inside it than a punch but that's only because I've practiced a lot with people swinging them at me.

I've been overwhelmed by multiple attackers in class before, it's much harder than it looks in the films, even if one of the new guys grabs you and falls over while the other guys are throwing attacks at you then you can go down and once you're down 8 people are kicking you and you've got no chance. Thankfully in the street I have been hit before, but never KO'd so I haven't had the face stomping, but I can't imagine its very pleasant.

projectwc is a jewel in the rough. (+500) projectwc is a jewel in the rough. (+500) projectwc is a jewel in the rough. (+500) projectwc is a jewel in the rough. (+500) projectwc is a jewel in the rough. (+500) projectwc is a jewel in the rough. (+500) projectwc is a jewel in the rough. (+500) projectwc is a jewel in the rough. (+500) projectwc is a jewel in the rough. (+500) projectwc is a jewel in the rough. (+500) projectwc is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You don't learn BJJ to instigate the fight. To everyone saying BJJ is worthless or it doesn't work or just keep it standing, the thing is this, what if you do get thrown down? What if you do fall down? WHAT IF? Believe me, it's not always your choice. And if you are well trained in BJJ then chances are you'll be ok. If anything, you can stop from getting the shyt beat out of you by some guy who's bigger and stronger than you. And like others are saying, you also have the chance of reversing any bad positions and control the situation. But if you AREN'T trained in it at all and someone bigger and stronger than you ends up on top of you...good luck, my friend.

As for the multiple attacker argument, well that's possible whether you're standing or on the ground. If you're kicking someone's azz, his friends could jump in either way. The point is having good standing skills and ground skills. And as someone said in a previous post, your friends should have your back,too. The way I see it is, I'm trained well enough standing and ground to feel comfortable anywhere I am. I know that unless I get into a fight with someone who knows more than I know, with the exception of some wild haymaker landing, I can handle myself fine. Not walking around like a badass but just knowing you're good, in most cases, yeah there's nothing wrong with that.

DiamondDave1980 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiamondDave1980 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiamondDave1980 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiamondDave1980 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiamondDave1980 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiamondDave1980 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiamondDave1980 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiamondDave1980 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiamondDave1980 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiamondDave1980 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiamondDave1980 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    BJJ has a lot of self defense techniques that are not about going to the ground. There are several wrist locks you can do which will make most people change there minds about fighting (or punching) you. Also throws and hip tosses. If you can't break fall getting thrown will hurt. Even if you can break fall, doing it on pavement or a hard surface will hurt. Its also about controling positions. Most BJJ clinch work is about controlling your opponent while you're in base and moving to a safe position while standing.

Probably the best martial art for multiple opponents is Aikido. Aikido focuses on using your opponents motion against them and completing the techniques in a position to be able to face another attacker. Many of the high level practitioners are tested by taking on 3,4 or more opponents. Look up some of the videos of Steven Seagal in his younger days. (inb4 500 Seagal jokes) Unless you have 20-30 years to devote to the art though I'd stick to BJJ and running away from multiple attackers.
    Gracie Barra!!!

Boffothe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boffothe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boffothe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boffothe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boffothe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boffothe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boffothe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boffothe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boffothe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boffothe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boffothe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Aikido is a laughing stock and you might as well say professional wrestling is the best martial art for multiple opponents because the WWE is more real than any aikido demonstration I've ever seen.

chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Boffothe View Post
    Aikido is a laughing stock and you might as well say professional wrestling is the best martial art for multiple opponents because the WWE is more real than any aikido demonstration I've ever seen.
    Get the Fukk out.

Phaggot.

chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000)

Cool

Originally Posted by HarryFlashman View Post
    so I haven't had the face stomping, but I can't imagine its very pleasant.
    Youre probably right.

Originally Posted by chucksmanhood View Post
    Get the Fukk out.

Phaggot.
    grandmaster Seagal spotted, loved your movie with dmx