skust75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skust75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skust75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skust75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skust75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skust75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skust75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skust75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skust75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skust75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skust75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Return to training with bone spurs in shoulder

Hey everybody,
    I have been an avid lifter from the age of eighteen until I started to slow down and eventually stop at the age of 34.At my best I would be 205 at 6'2 with very low bodyfat. I deal with mild scoliosis which doesn't affect my training but I found out a year and a half ago that I have arthritis in my shoulders. So everytime I wanted to make a come back, after a month or two of training I would injure my shoulders and my training would stop. I eventually gave up. I ballooned up to 245 lbs and severly out of shape. I was like this up until a month and a half ago. At that time I decided to see the doctor and he scheduled me for an mri. On this mri, the arthritis on the gleno-humeral joint wasn't present however bone spurs( which were also present on Xrays ) were still there and they are the culprits behind myself getting injured after I start training. The doctor gave me the go ahead to start training but to do nothing that causes pain(use pain as my guide). I asked him about the arthritis of the G/H joint and he said it isn't there, don't worry about it. So I returned to lifting but this time I excluded shoulder presses and shoulder lateral raises. Today I am happy to say I am down to 221 lbs (24 lb loss) and getting stronger with every workout. All I do for shoulders is front raises and rear delt flyes and my shoulders look great.I am basically working out every other day 3-4 times a week with weights and I do total body and I do consider it very high volume because I do 1-3 exercises per bodypart. I put a lot of emphasis on back. I learned from physical therapy that my back muscles should overpower my chest because I was unbalanced, big chest and less stronger back.
    Im basically writing this to get some feedback while also providing some motivation for others dealing with injuries like these. Im working around my injury and for the first time in 6 years Im in great shape again.
    Ill post some before and after photos in the near future. Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
    Cheers!
    You're born small and you die small, how you look in between is up to you.

Brenden061 is just really nice. (+1000) Brenden061 is just really nice. (+1000) Brenden061 is just really nice. (+1000) Brenden061 is just really nice. (+1000) Brenden061 is just really nice. (+1000) Brenden061 is just really nice. (+1000) Brenden061 is just really nice. (+1000) Brenden061 is just really nice. (+1000) Brenden061 is just really nice. (+1000) Brenden061 is just really nice. (+1000) Brenden061 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I learned from physical therapy that my back muscles should overpower my chest because I was unbalanced, big chest and less stronger back.
    Horray!

Don't forget to do your band exercises too (external rotation, mid-rows and lat pulls). Also, don't forget to do your doorway stretches and ROM circles! Tall posture!

If you need a new or an heavier band, then be sure to call your clinic. Chances are they'll give you a new one for free because A) your keeping up w/ your exercises and B) Bands are cheap,

Good luck!

skust75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skust75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skust75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skust75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skust75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skust75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skust75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skust75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skust75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skust75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skust75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks!!!
    Originally Posted by Brenden061 View Post
    Horray!

Don't forget to do your band exercises too (external rotation, mid-rows and lat pulls). Also, don't forget to do your doorway stretches and ROM circles! Tall posture!

If you need a new or an heavier band, then be sure to call your clinic. Chances are they'll give you a new one for free because A) your keeping up w/ your exercises and B) Bands are cheap,

Good luck!
    You're born small and you die small, how you look in between is up to you.

JoeKchevelle is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Shoulder spurs

[

QUOTE=skust75;1120615343]Hey everybody,
    I have been an avid lifter from the age of eighteen until I started to slow down and eventually stop at the age of 34.At my best I would be 205 at 6'2 with very low bodyfat. I deal with mild scoliosis which doesn't affect my training but I found out a year and a half ago that I have arthritis in my shoulders. So everytime I wanted to make a come back, after a month or two of training I would injure my shoulders and my training would stop. I eventually gave up. I ballooned up to 245 lbs and severly out of shape. I was like this up until a month and a half ago. At that time I decided to see the doctor and he scheduled me for an mri. On this mri, the arthritis on the gleno-humeral joint wasn't present however bone spurs( which were also present on Xrays ) were still there and they are the culprits behind myself getting injured after I start training. The doctor gave me the go ahead to start training but to do nothing that causes pain(use pain as my guide). I asked him about the arthritis of the G/H joint and he said it isn't there, don't worry about it. So I returned to lifting but this time I excluded shoulder presses and shoulder lateral raises. Today I am happy to say I am down to 221 lbs (24 lb loss) and getting stronger with every workout. All I do for shoulders is front raises and rear delt flyes and my shoulders look great.I am basically working out every other day 3-4 times a week with weights and I do total body and I do consider it very high volume because I do 1-3 exercises per bodypart. I put a lot of emphasis on back. I learned from physical therapy that my back muscles should overpower my chest because I was unbalanced, big chest and less stronger back.
    Im basically writing this to get some feedback while also providing some motivation for others dealing with injuries like these. Im working around my injury and for the first time in 6 years Im in great shape again.
    Ill post some before and after photos in the near future. Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
    Cheers![/QUOTE]

I have been weight training all my life and am 57. I obtained these shoulder spurs about 8 years ago. I was told by doctors who train in the same gym to avoid getting these surgically removed. So, I went deca. Works until I come off. They agitate when i bench as well. I quit doing over head presses. Cables are tolerable. It's tough training and not doing inclines or flat bench, which both kill my shoulders. I mean pain man. Can't make any gains with these cables. I feel I am screwed unless I stay on the deca which, can't do that forever, Any suggestions?