ToGassed will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToGassed will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToGassed will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToGassed will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToGassed will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToGassed will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToGassed will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToGassed will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToGassed will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToGassed will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToGassed will become famous soon enough. (+50)

need help to jump higher

i started playing basketball for around 3 months now and never tried to dunk until 2-3 weeks ago i couldnt even touch the back board and was like 6-8 inches away from touching the rim. i have taken weight training seriously for the last 4 weeks and just from my workouts i gained a good amount to my vertical. im now 2-3 inches away from touching the rim, but im going to need at least another 3 inches so that once i touch the rim i can dunk. so i need around 6-7 inch increase on my vertical. my current leg workout is

squats 4 sets
    leg press 3 sets
    leg extensions 3 sets
    dead lift 4 sets
    hamstring curl 3 sets
    seated calf raises 4 sets
    standing calf raises 4 sets

my rep range changes each week

week 1: 12-15
    week 2: 9-11
    week 3: 6-8
    week 4: 3-5

as well as a 20 second rest pause on the last set of each exercise on weeks 1 and 2. and then drop sets of 20-25% on weeks 3 and 4.

im currently on a 4 days split

chest triceps calf's
    back biceps abs
    rest
    traps shoulders and calf's
    legs and abs
    rest
    rest

main points
    - i also take a core class once a week for abs as i got told it will increase my vertical (not sure if true)?.
    - i am also thinking of doing some jump training the day after back biceps and abs if that will help?
    - best ways to increase vertical?

Jumps over a bar for fun Highjumper21's Avatar
    Highjumper21 is just really nice. (+1000) Highjumper21 is just really nice. (+1000) Highjumper21 is just really nice. (+1000) Highjumper21 is just really nice. (+1000) Highjumper21 is just really nice. (+1000) Highjumper21 is just really nice. (+1000) Highjumper21 is just really nice. (+1000) Highjumper21 is just really nice. (+1000) Highjumper21 is just really nice. (+1000) Highjumper21 is just really nice. (+1000) Highjumper21 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Taking a core class is a good idea but make sure the are training your entire core. Outer and inner abdominals, obliques, lower back, front hip flexors, ect...
    Yes it will help because your core transmits power produced by your legs. You push against the ground, the ground pushes back, the energy goes through your legs and through your core. (Having a strong core isn't the make or break of a dunk because when you train your legs in squats an deadlifts you will be training your core but training your core on its own is great)

Doing jump training (plyometrics) is perfect for getting your vertical up. If any only if you already are strong and have strength. Remember plyometrics don't build strength, they take the strength you have and make you better able to produce power using that strength. So if you have a strong base and can squat a lot or deadlift a lot or whatever then you should do plyometrics. Other wise you need a strength base then do plyos.

Best way to increase vertical. Depends in the person but the ideas are the same.
    If you aren't completely new to strength training or physical stress then you should start on a strength training program that focuses a lot on your calves, quads, hamstrings, front hip flexors, glutes, lower back, back erectors, obliques, there are more but those are the big ones. So once you do a lot of that and get a good strong base you can start doing plyometrics. Plyometrics will take that raw strength you have and make you better able to produce power. It's good if you can squat a lot but you are producing that force to squat over a large amount of time. Plyometrics make you able to produce more force in a shorter amount of time. That is what makes you jump high. It's like sprinting, the more force you produce in the shorter amount of time the faster you will go (that's pretty blunt about it but that's the idea).

Edit: you really need a lot of compound movements more than the leg press and leg extensions. Compound movements make functional strength (assuming you're training for strength). Isolation movements really build size (assuming you're training for hypertrophy)
    When you do leg press and leg extensions your glutes and hip flexors and lower back are taken completely out of the equation and you only work your quads and hamstrings. Although good and they do have their place you should limit these types of exercises when looking to dunk.

pay the iron price SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    You are spamming the same post with different user names to get people to click on your [] website which is probably full of malware.
    Please don't quote the URL.

DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Please don't quote the URL.
    understood, was trying to show people the danger. wont do it again.