ol matey will become famous soon enough. (+50) ol matey will become famous soon enough. (+50) ol matey will become famous soon enough. (+50) ol matey will become famous soon enough. (+50) ol matey will become famous soon enough. (+50) ol matey will become famous soon enough. (+50) ol matey will become famous soon enough. (+50) ol matey will become famous soon enough. (+50) ol matey will become famous soon enough. (+50) ol matey will become famous soon enough. (+50) ol matey will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Leg day vs Muay Thai vs boxing

So whenever I work my legs, I'm very sh*t with fighting next few days, especially boxing. The bobbing, weaving, and quick explosions off the feet, the quick footwork to move, etc, just aren't up to scratch. I used to have the same problem with squash - can't play well after leg day for 2-3 days (squash involves a lot of "pouncing", quickly moving from a crouched-type position, etc).

Have any brahs stopped working legs for Muay Thai or boxing? I also find flexibility around the hip flexors / pelvic joints is reduced, and I can't get my kicks high in MT...
    Confront my presence, fraternal sibling!

johnnycomehome is a name known to all. (+5000) johnnycomehome is a name known to all. (+5000) johnnycomehome is a name known to all. (+5000) johnnycomehome is a name known to all. (+5000) johnnycomehome is a name known to all. (+5000) johnnycomehome is a name known to all. (+5000) johnnycomehome is a name known to all. (+5000) johnnycomehome is a name known to all. (+5000) johnnycomehome is a name known to all. (+5000) johnnycomehome is a name known to all. (+5000) johnnycomehome is a name known to all. (+5000)
    maybe concentrate more on plyometric and conditioning exercises, such as box jumps, burpees, lunges etc to work your legs

if you look at boxers they do not have big thick thighs like bodybuilders or strength athletes

Badzooka is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Badzooka is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Badzooka is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Badzooka is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Badzooka is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Badzooka is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Badzooka is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Badzooka is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Badzooka is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Badzooka is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Badzooka is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    There's a bunch of stretches you can do for your legs and hips to be able to keep high kicking and squatting. I learned them from a former Karate/Kick boxer. Just good hip flexor stretches and muay thai stretches. do them before squats/leg day and before MT training
    ☯ Misc Muay Thai Crew ☯
    []=[] Actually Lifts Crew []=[]

SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Don't stop working your legs.

All you really have to do is go up very slowly.

Remember your body only gets sore when you exceed your previous effort.

KingSSaid is just really nice. (+1000) KingSSaid is just really nice. (+1000) KingSSaid is just really nice. (+1000) KingSSaid is just really nice. (+1000) KingSSaid is just really nice. (+1000) KingSSaid is just really nice. (+1000) KingSSaid is just really nice. (+1000) KingSSaid is just really nice. (+1000) KingSSaid is just really nice. (+1000) KingSSaid is just really nice. (+1000) KingSSaid is just really nice. (+1000)
    Im ok if i did squats, but im fried the next day if i did deadlifts.

Platinum User lvl 3 hehestopmirin's Avatar
    hehestopmirin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hehestopmirin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hehestopmirin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hehestopmirin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hehestopmirin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hehestopmirin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hehestopmirin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hehestopmirin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hehestopmirin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hehestopmirin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hehestopmirin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i would say to condition your leg muscles then brah... when i started doing muay thai, and bjj.. i dropped leg day from twice a week to once. feels a lot better . try a lot of high rep low weight lifts for your legs. best way to condition them.

namechange2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) namechange2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) namechange2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) namechange2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) namechange2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) namechange2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) namechange2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) namechange2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) namechange2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) namechange2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) namechange2 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by SpiderSense View Post
    Remember your body only gets sore when you exceed your previous effort.
    This isn't necessarily true. Your body gets sore when it's introduced to a new training stimulus.

OP:

Your CNS takes a toll after lifting, leg day especially (with that bar on your back), so your explosiveness/quickness/reaction time will be noticeably decreased. Either lighten the volume, focus more on plyometrics (also CNS draining), or man up.

Stretch your hips via dynamic stretches (leg swings, fire hydrants, knee circles).
    Dallas Cowboys Crew

Dirty South Crew

Misc Cigar Crew

Competition Lifts - 590D/345B/525S

SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by davetherave35 View Post
    This isn't necessarily true. Your body gets sore when it's introduced to a new training stimulus.
    Yeah that's also true.

What I was getting at is that you can make strength gains but they'll be minimized unless you want soreness to hamper your training.

loneyakuza is not very well liked. (-100) loneyakuza is not very well liked. (-100) loneyakuza is not very well liked. (-100) loneyakuza is not very well liked. (-100) loneyakuza is not very well liked. (-100) loneyakuza is not very well liked. (-100) loneyakuza is not very well liked. (-100) loneyakuza is not very well liked. (-100) loneyakuza is not very well liked. (-100) loneyakuza is not very well liked. (-100) loneyakuza is not very well liked. (-100)
    I think like some people said, plyometrics are the way to go.

I also do deadlifts once a week.

But yes, I have noticed that doing lots of leg work and packing on muscle makes you less flexible. But it is a tradeoff. You can get more power into your kicks if you do more leg work.

Also, you can train roundhouse kick strength and explosive speed by tying your foot/sticking your foot into a cable ring (like the ones you usually use for cable chest-fly exercise), and practicing the kick with weight attached.

Also, weighted lunges and putting 20 lbs ankle weights around your legs and practicing knees, and putting on 10 lb ankle weights for practicing leg kicks, middle kicks, and high kicks.

Also, do the TKD type leg-ups (kind of like jump rope, except alternating legs and without jump rope) with weights.

bangwhosnext is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bangwhosnext is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bangwhosnext is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bangwhosnext is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bangwhosnext is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bangwhosnext is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bangwhosnext is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bangwhosnext is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bangwhosnext is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bangwhosnext is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bangwhosnext is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by loneyakuza View Post
    I think like some people said, plyometrics are the way to go.

I also do deadlifts once a week.

But yes, I have noticed that doing lots of leg work and packing on muscle makes you less flexible. But it is a tradeoff. You can get more power into your kicks if you do more leg work.

Also, you can train roundhouse kick strength and explosive speed by tying your foot/sticking your foot into a cable ring (like the ones you usually use for cable chest-fly exercise), and practicing the kick with weight attached.

Also, weighted lunges and putting 20 lbs ankle weights around your legs and practicing knees, and putting on 10 lb ankle weights for practicing leg kicks, middle kicks, and high kicks.

Also, do the TKD type leg-ups (kind of like jump rope, except alternating legs and without jump rope) with weights.
    You mean running on the spot.. lol
    "Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by @ssholes."

Animals >>> humans crew

Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Less volume on legs?
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit softly.

DFars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DFars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DFars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DFars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DFars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DFars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DFars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DFars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DFars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DFars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DFars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Rest, epsom salt baths and extra stretching. I do legs 2x week and deads 1-2x week and yes I know that feeling. Sparring, working on bag with sore legs, back...part of the deal to get strong, fast and skilled i guess.

angela86007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) angela86007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) angela86007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) angela86007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) angela86007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) angela86007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) angela86007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) angela86007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) angela86007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) angela86007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) angela86007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have the exact same problem I lose power in my kicks because of Doms after training legs.. I just try and push through it

CaseyJamess is a name known to all. (+5000) CaseyJamess is a name known to all. (+5000) CaseyJamess is a name known to all. (+5000) CaseyJamess is a name known to all. (+5000) CaseyJamess is a name known to all. (+5000) CaseyJamess is a name known to all. (+5000) CaseyJamess is a name known to all. (+5000) CaseyJamess is a name known to all. (+5000) CaseyJamess is a name known to all. (+5000) CaseyJamess is a name known to all. (+5000) CaseyJamess is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I know these feels.
    I've found that these help:
    Low volume with the heavy stuff, more unilateral and bodyweight style exercises

Foam roll, foam roll, foam roll.

Stretch more than you are doing - I never stretch enough

Wow didn't realise the thread bump
    Last edited by CaseyJamess; 06-19-2014 at 08:06 AM.
    ~Misc BJJ crew~
    ~Electronic Engineer master race~

TrenRex has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TrenRex has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TrenRex has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TrenRex has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TrenRex has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TrenRex has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TrenRex has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TrenRex has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TrenRex has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TrenRex has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    International Muay Thai competitor checking in. I totally understand how much it can suck, but in all reality leg day will only affect your training for maybe a couple weeks and then your body will get used to all the new stress. In my opinion you just don't like doing legs so you are subconsciously trying to find an excuse to not do it, I know this sounds like I am being a dick but I have heard similar **** before and the only answer is: "Man up". Me and countless others have been through it before and it is going to be uncomfortable for a while, but after that period you will be tougher and your work capacity will have adapted to your training by then

Also, don't be one of those ****s who do lots of leg curls or leg presses (and don't listen to the people saying bodyweight or plyometric stuff, that is part of conditioning work not strength), ****ing squat like a man. I can assure you it will really help your kicking power and base and it will build a lot more muscle than all the other bull**** people do for legs.

ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    My legs only got sore for the first couple weeks after doing legs. What the hell workout are you doing bro?