briansaturnino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question How many calories do I need per day to gain lean muscle?

Please read everything.

I calculated my BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate), and it states that I should intake 1675.9 calories a day.
    I'm doing the Insanity workout right now, currently on my recovery week of month 1, and I'm not going to stop.

Height : 5 ft 7/12 inches
    Weight : 135 lbs

My calorie intake is suppose to be 1675.9 (1669.1 once I turn 14).

I also calculated that I have 12% body fat. I'm doing the Insanity workout right now, and I'm at my recovery week of month 1. I'm planning to be look lean yet buff before school starts here in September. How many calories do I need per day?

Extra Details :
    Likes to exercise -- specifically cardiac training, I don't lift
    Average workout is about 40 minutes (Insanity workout)
    I ALWAYS drink about 95 US oz of water per day -- just 4 bottles of a 710 mL Gatorade bottle
    I sleep 8 hours a day -- sometimes an another hour or two.

Am I missing something? Thanks.

notgunnacut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) notgunnacut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You will not be buff by next month is takes years too build muscle. Doing insanity is not going too build you very much lean muscle mass at all, you need too bulk at 2000 or more calories, get your macros, and get too a gym and do a program like SS for 6 months too build a strength base and put on some mass. Then you need too start an intermediate/advanced routine too build on more muscle. After that all you have too do is cut and get down too a low bodyfat, rinse and repeat for big muscles.

READ THE STICKY
    I wanna get strong and im committed to it. Ive been making major strides in getting stronger and im gonna keep going.

14, 190lbs, 20%bf
    Bench - 225
    Squat - 235
    Dead - 295
    OHP - 105

XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You should do something like Starting Strength which obviously requires you to lift heavier weights each session.

With cardio, you're not going to gain muscle. 1700 calories also seems very low for an active teenage boy.

notgunnacut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) notgunnacut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by XCRunner9 View Post
    You should do something like Starting Strength which obviously requires you to lift heavier weights each session.

With cardio, you're not going to gain muscle. 1700 calories also seems very low for an active teenage boy.
    I agree, I think thats if he was sedentary.
    I wanna get strong and im committed to it. Ive been making major strides in getting stronger and im gonna keep going.

14, 190lbs, 20%bf
    Bench - 225
    Squat - 235
    Dead - 295
    OHP - 105

EddiePer is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddiePer is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddiePer is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddiePer is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddiePer is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddiePer is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddiePer is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddiePer is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddiePer is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddiePer is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddiePer is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by briansaturnino View Post
    Please read everything.

I calculated my BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate), and it states that I should intake 1675.9 calories a day.
    I'm doing the Insanity workout right now, currently on my recovery week of month 1, and I'm not going to stop.

Height : 5 ft 7/12 inches
    Weight : 135 lbs

My calorie intake is suppose to be 1675.9 (1669.1 once I turn 14).

I also calculated that I have 12% body fat. I'm doing the Insanity workout right now, and I'm at my recovery week of month 1. I'm planning to be look lean yet buff before school starts here in September. How many calories do I need per day?

Extra Details :
    Likes to exercise -- specifically cardiac training, I don't lift
    Average workout is about 40 minutes (Insanity workout)
    I ALWAYS drink about 95 US oz of water per day -- just 4 bottles of a 710 mL Gatorade bottle
    I sleep 8 hours a day -- sometimes an another hour or two.

Am I missing something? Thanks.

Forget your BMR. Determine your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) this is your maintenance. If I were you I'd eat at a 10-20% surplus from that as your already light and you wouldn't want to weight any less.

Originally Posted by notgunnacut View Post
    You will not be buff by next month is takes years too build muscle. Doing insanity is not going too build you very much lean muscle mass at all, you need too bulk at 2000 or more calories, get your macros, and get too a gym and do a program like SS for 6 months too build a strength base and put on some mass. Then you need too start an intermediate/advanced routine too build on more muscle. After that all you have too do is cut and get down too a low bodyfat, rinse and repeat for big muscles.

READ THE STICKY
    In short, I'll take your advice. Thanks! I'm aware that it takes years to gain muscle, however, my goal is to see results while working out. By results, all I want are six-pack abs and could endure long amounts of working out.

Originally Posted by XCRunner9 View Post

Thank you for your advice. Basically, I need to eat more then, right?

Originally Posted by notgunnacut View Post
    I agree, I think thats if he was sedentary.
    I try to workout 30 minutes a day.

Um...after I'm done with Insanity. I'll be going into Insanity : Asylum.

Like I said before...all I want are visible six pack abs and to endure long amounts of working out.

Originally Posted by EddiePer View Post
    Forget your BMR. Determine your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) this is your maintenance. If I were you I'd eat at a 10-20% surplus from that as your already light and you wouldn't want to weight any less.
    I'll take note of the TDEE. There's so much things for me to learn!
    Last edited by briansaturnino; 08-04-2013 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Response to EddiePer

Registered User Ungiftedgenetic's Avatar
    Ungiftedgenetic is not very well liked. (-100) Ungiftedgenetic is not very well liked. (-100) Ungiftedgenetic is not very well liked. (-100) Ungiftedgenetic is not very well liked. (-100) Ungiftedgenetic is not very well liked. (-100) Ungiftedgenetic is not very well liked. (-100) Ungiftedgenetic is not very well liked. (-100) Ungiftedgenetic is not very well liked. (-100) Ungiftedgenetic is not very well liked. (-100) Ungiftedgenetic is not very well liked. (-100) Ungiftedgenetic is not very well liked. (-100)
    eat 4000 cal a day

Originally Posted by Ungiftedgenetic View Post
    eat 4000 cal a day
    I took the advice of EddiePer and calculated my TDEE. I'm supposed to eat 2,790 calories/day.

How in the world am I going to eat 2,790 calories? Could anyone link me to some methods?

LHSFB32 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LHSFB32 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LHSFB32 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LHSFB32 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LHSFB32 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LHSFB32 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LHSFB32 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LHSFB32 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LHSFB32 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LHSFB32 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LHSFB32 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I took the advice of EddiePer and calculated my TDEE. I'm supposed to eat 2,790 calories/day.

How in the world am I going to eat 2,790 calories? Could anyone link me to some methods?
    Track your diet, also weigh your foods such as vegetables, meats, etc.

I always guessed how much food I was eating which I found out was really inaccurate.

I always thought I was eating about 6-8 oz of chicken for dinner, found out I was really eating 12-14 oz.

I started off a little less than you also, just work hard and you'll see some gains. Also I prefer to eat slightly above my maintenance in order to keep fat agins minimal.
    Started lifting- September 27th, 2012

Starting bodyweight: 128
    Current: 160
    Goal: 180-190

Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Bro as a fellow Insanity member, I finished Insanity and to be honest it gave me the abs yeah sure cool, but they were skinny abs which were useless. What's your goal? What would you like your physique to be. Btw, here's a picture of me before I did Insanity around 175-180lbs:

Last edited by Karim1997; 08-04-2013 at 12:31 AM.

powerlifting and stuff Big.Jazayrli's Avatar
    Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you're trying to gain weight.. eat more calories.

The smallest amount of calories you can eat while slowly gaining weight will be optimal
    Picking things up and putting them down since '09

Smile

Originally Posted by LHSFB32 View Post
    Track your diet, also weigh your foods such as vegetables, meats, etc.

I always guessed how much food I was eating which I found out was really inaccurate.

I always thought I was eating about 6-8 oz of chicken for dinner, found out I was really eating 12-14 oz.

I started off a little less than you also, just work hard and you'll see some gains. Also I prefer to eat slightly above my maintenance in order to keep fat agins minimal.
    Originally Posted by Karim1997 View Post
    Bro as a fellow Insanity member, I finished Insanity and to be honest it gave me the abs yeah sure cool, but they were skinny abs which were useless. What's your goal? What would you like your physique to be. Btw, here's a picture of me before I did Insanity.

Originally Posted by Big.Jazayrli View Post
    If you're trying to gain weight.. eat more calories.

The smallest amount of calories you can eat while slowly gaining weight will be optimal
    Notes Taken :
    Macro Food
    Eat Slightly Above Needed
    Insanity gives skinny abs (btw, amazing transformation, Karim1997!)

Thank you, guys. Gave you some rep points for the help. I have a few questions.
    Should I stop Insanity? I'm about 1/2 into the program.
    Could I have a few links leading me into a 2,790 - 3,300 calorie diet?
    Last edited by briansaturnino; 08-04-2013 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Response to Big.Jazayrli

powerlifting and stuff Big.Jazayrli's Avatar
    Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big.Jazayrli has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You likely aren't going to find anything that specifically lists meals associated with 3000 calories.. perhaps aim for some macronutrients like.. 300 carbs, 80 fat, 250 protein?

Eat literally anything that fits within those macronutrients. Obviously for the sake of internal/overall health try to eat a diet with some variety (i.e. fruits, veggies, sufficient fiber)

There are several threads in the nutrition section that are stickied that will help you to figure this all out.
    Picking things up and putting them down since '09

Originally Posted by Big.Jazayrli View Post
    You likely aren't going to find anything that specifically lists meals associated with 3000 calories.. perhaps aim for some macronutrients like.. 300 carbs, 80 fat, 250 protein?

Eat literally anything that fits within those macronutrients. Obviously for the sake of internal/overall health try to eat a diet with some variety (i.e. fruits, veggies, sufficient fiber)

There are several threads in the nutrition section that are stickied that will help you to figure this all out.
    Thanks. I'll be looking into that. Is there a specific diet you follow?

XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You're also a teen, so that TDEE will be inaccurate, but eat 10-20% above it and if you don't gain, add 200 calories on top that and see if gains go nicely.

Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Notes Taken :
    Macro Food
    Eat Slightly Above Needed
    Insanity gives skinny abs (btw, amazing transformation, Karim1997!)

Thank you, guys. Gave you some rep points for the help. I have a few questions.
    Should I stop Insanity? I'm about 1/2 into the program.
    Could I have a few links leading me into a 2,790 - 3,300 calorie diet?
    My advice would be to finish it and yeah sure whatever you'll have skinny abs and if you're lucky you got get to a really low body fat and start bulking from there, and depending on your body type; if you're a hard gainer don't even count calories go in and eat everything in sight. However, if you gain fat easily I would say count your macros and what not. But my recommendation would to be eat clean but as much as you want. Personally after Insanity I started lifting and I would count my calories for 3 months and what not and I got fed up and dirty bulked and would say I made gainz.

JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    1675 calories if your BMR
    These are the calories your metabolic processes burn, so they don't include any sort of calorie burned by activity including waking, talking, washing, eating, typing and so on
    If you were to just do those activities (no exercise, no physical jobs) you would burn 1.2x your BMR
    That's 2010 calories and you would maintain your weight eating those
    But if you also train with weight, you can add on average 300 calories for each workout. Say you workout 4 times a week, this is 1200 extra calories burned in a week or 171 extra calories a day. So your maintenance would be 2181 calories.
    If you want to gain lean muscle, eat a 15% surplus from that. 2496 calories or better yet 2500 calories
    This will be your starting point and you adjust your intake according to results.

But an every easier way to calculate calories needed to gain muscle is 18 x bodyweight. It always work
    So I calculated, the complex way, a 2500 calorie need to gain muscle for you. But what about 135 x 18? 2430 calories.
    See? People think it's too simplistic but it never failed me. 18 x bodyweight or 19 x bodyweight is you're doing cardio as well is as accurate as more complex formulas.

MarquisJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarquisJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarquisJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarquisJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarquisJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarquisJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarquisJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarquisJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarquisJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarquisJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarquisJ will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by JaredPunch View Post

But an every easier way to calculate calories needed to gain muscle is 18 x bodyweight. It always work
    So I calculated, the complex way, a 2500 calorie need to gain muscle for you. But what about 135 x 18? 2430 calories.
    See? People think it's too simplistic but it never failed me. 18 x bodyweight or 19 x bodyweight is you're doing cardio as well is as accurate as more complex formulas.
    ^don't do this

JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Meadey View Post
    ^don't do this
    it works so why not, there's no a single case when using a complex formula like Harris-Benedict or what not results in a way better prediction than just a 18-19 x bodyweight, not even when you factor age or height in it, the difference is almost irreleavant (30-40 calories more or less)

Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by JaredPunch View Post
    it works so why not, there's no a single case when using a complex formula like Harris-Benedict or what not results in a way better prediction than just a 18-19 x bodyweight, not even when you factor age or height in it, the difference is almost irreleavant (30-40 calories more or less)
    multiplying by some arbitrary constant does not work, stop with all the stupid 'advice'

multiplying by some arbitrary constant does not work, stop with all the stupid 'advice'
    It does work
    Of course it works as a starting point as everyone knows you can't use any formula including Harris-Benedict or others to determine your needs, just to determine a starting point from which to adjust your intake based on results, and there's always a 1-2 weeks learning period no one can do without. Again, take any person, run his stats on whatever complex formula or calculators and you will get a starting point bulk number which is extremely close to 18-19x bodyweight. Only exception would be a competitive athletes.

jackm7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jackm7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jackm7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jackm7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jackm7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jackm7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jackm7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jackm7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jackm7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jackm7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jackm7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    , I don't lift

You're not going to get buff in a month. Even if you were lifting. Eat min 3000 cals a day and start lifting weights then you'll see results.

TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    This.

JaredPunch you're an idiot, stop giving advice.