Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
    BrianK. is a name known to all. (+5000) BrianK. is a name known to all. (+5000) BrianK. is a name known to all. (+5000) BrianK. is a name known to all. (+5000) BrianK. is a name known to all. (+5000) BrianK. is a name known to all. (+5000) BrianK. is a name known to all. (+5000) BrianK. is a name known to all. (+5000) BrianK. is a name known to all. (+5000) BrianK. is a name known to all. (+5000) BrianK. is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by willmiz View Post
    Don't know a thing about detailing except that you should buy good products. Any starter kits that you would recommend that don't cost a fortune?
    I would start with a wash, dry and wax kit.

There are a number of then out there, but Adam's polishes has videos for starters on how to use all of their products. Perfect place for a new comer in my opinion. Plus they have forums to ask questions.

$100-$150 for towels, wax, shampoo, rubber/plastic maintenance.

What's your budget? And what kind of car?

spyvox2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spyvox2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spyvox2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spyvox2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spyvox2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spyvox2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spyvox2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spyvox2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spyvox2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spyvox2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spyvox2 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I don't know too much about detailing, but I usually just wash with nxt then rinse and repeat depending if my car still has dirt. Then I glaze it with Chemical Guys Black Light and seal it with Hybrid V7. Sometimes I finish it off with waxing with either Meguiar's or Turtle wax. The sorry part is that I do everything by hand because I live in an apartment so don't have a power source nearby to use those machines. Currently though, I lost my motivation to dedicate all that time to detail my car because someone tapped my bumper and it kind of hangs down. Also I have some oxidation and it makes me not want to even detail my car seeing it like this.

Anyways another product worth mentioning is iron x or something. My brother used it on his car and I couldn't believe it, I saw iron or whatever material coming out from his paint. It seemingly just comes out of nowhere.
    (ツ)

BrianK. is a name known to all. (+5000) BrianK. is a name known to all. (+5000) BrianK. is a name known to all. (+5000) BrianK. is a name known to all. (+5000) BrianK. is a name known to all. (+5000) BrianK. is a name known to all. (+5000) BrianK. is a name known to all. (+5000) BrianK. is a name known to all. (+5000) BrianK. is a name known to all. (+5000) BrianK. is a name known to all. (+5000) BrianK. is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by spyvox2 View Post
    I don't know too much about detailing, but I usually just wash with nxt then rinse and repeat depending if my car still has dirt. Then I glaze it with Chemical Guys Black Light and seal it with Hybrid V7. Sometimes I finish it off with waxing with either Meguiar's or Turtle wax. The sorry part is that I do everything by hand because I live in an apartment so don't have a power source nearby to use those machines. Currently though, I lost my motivation to dedicate all that time to detail my car because someone tapped my bumper and it kind of hangs down. Also I have some oxidation and it makes me not want to even detail my car seeing it like this.

Anyways another product worth mentioning is iron x or something. My brother used it on his car and I couldn't believe it, I saw iron or whatever material coming out from his paint. It seemingly just comes out of nowhere.
    Yep Iron X or similar iron/metallic fighting products work wonders. It's basically for pre treating before you claybar. The paint looks like it's bleeding and it's great for your clear coat. What it's doing is reacting with iron particles embedded in your clear coat helping bring back the shine of raw clear coat. Those little "rust" spots that you see on your car are actually rail dust particles that lodge onto your clear coat while being shipped. Smells like death though; some don't but Iron X does.

Oxidation can be fixed by polishing...either by hand (unlikely but possible), but definitely by machine. You used some god products though.

*responded by phone so if there are any misspelled words or run on sentences I apologize.

spyvox2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spyvox2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spyvox2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spyvox2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spyvox2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spyvox2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spyvox2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spyvox2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spyvox2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spyvox2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spyvox2 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Any budget iron/metallic product that you recommend? I have a porter cable (forgot which model), but I'm going to try to fix the oxidation. I never knew it could be fixed by polishing.
    (ツ)

Originally Posted by spyvox2 View Post
    Any budget iron/metallic product that you recommend? I have a porter cable (forgot which model), but I'm going to try to fix the oxidation. I never knew it could be fixed by polishing.
    I should have clarified. Oxidation can be confused with clear coat failure.

Actually I should have asked what kind of car? Or if it's single stage paint or not.

Oxidation can be fixed on single stage, but most likely if it is a clear coated paint then it might be the beginning stages of clear coat failure. Got any pictures?

Iron X is your best bet for spraying on your car...

Auto Finesse iron out
    Any metallic fighting wheel cleaner works
    Car pro trix
    Wolfs Decon gel

What are your goals?

jwlee7ucla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jwlee7ucla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jwlee7ucla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jwlee7ucla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jwlee7ucla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jwlee7ucla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jwlee7ucla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jwlee7ucla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jwlee7ucla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jwlee7ucla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jwlee7ucla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by willmiz View Post
    Don't know a thing about detailing except that you should buy good products. Any starter kits that you would recommend that don't cost a fortune?
    define fortune.

I think my starter stuff I got cost around $300 including tools. With that I detailed my own car 4 times, 3 other cars for $200 each, and I got plenty of stuff leftover.

a normal full detail at a decent shop ranges from $200-400 a car.

I hope all you detailers use a 2 bucket system for washing cars.

There is a really really good thread on the s2ki forum of someone giving a step by step on detailing his cars (looks insanely good). Its actually what got me started in this whole thing... letssee if i can dig it up..
    Living a happy life

Originally Posted by jwlee7ucla View Post
    ...I hope all you detailers use a 2 bucket system for washing cars...
    Of course...I actually prefer using a foam gun or foam cannon.

I'll use one bucket and two wash pads when I use a foam gun. Wash pad in one hand and gun in the other. Grit guard in the bottom of the bucket as well.

jwlee7ucla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jwlee7ucla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jwlee7ucla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jwlee7ucla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jwlee7ucla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jwlee7ucla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jwlee7ucla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jwlee7ucla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jwlee7ucla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jwlee7ucla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jwlee7ucla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BrianK. View Post
    Of course...I actually prefer using a foam gun or foam cannon.

I'll use one bucket and two wash pads when I use a foam gun. Wash pad in one hand and gun in the other. Grit guard in the bottom of the bucket as well.
    cost of foam gun/cannon? i always wanted one..
    Living a happy life

Originally Posted by jwlee7ucla View Post
    cost of foam gun/cannon? i always wanted one..
    Got my foam gun from autogeek...

for some reason I cant link... http://www.autogeek.net/foam-gun.html (try that)

Foam cannons are for pressure washers

If you enjoy washing cars, then this will make your life easier and make you car look better when using a foam gun. Highly recommended...

Foam guns can be directly connected to your hose.

Also a side note: "Foam CANNONS" are different. These suds up better and can only be connected to pressure washers.

A lot of car bros on here with nice cars or good knowledge, but no one likes to take care of their appearance?

Have you ever wondered how to get rid of those annoying scratches under your door handle?

Get some polish, put a few dabs on a microfiber towel, work your fingers under the door handle and start rubbing. The hardness of the clear coat will possibly determine what kind of polish you use, but the results are very satisfying.

I understand no one is really replying to this thread; which is fine, but I'll still try to inform you guys on keeping your cars clean and looking nice, when I have time.

If you want super clean wheels then couple a metallic fighting wheel cleaner (safe for all finishes) with these types of brushes.

Wheels Woolies and a lug nut brush that can be used as a focus brush like you're 'painting' on the wheel.

These wheel cleaners would be perfect for any of you guys that have European cars or sports cars; especially BMW and Audi:

-Adam's Deep Wheel Cleaner
    -AMMO Plum Wheel Cleaner
    -Sonax Wheel Cleaner FE
    -Wolfgang Uber Wheel Cleaner
    -Griots Garage Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner
    - Wolf's Chemical Decon Gel
    - and other Iron fighting products

What the wheel will look like after the reaction: (may look worse or not as red on certain cars and depends on how dirty the wheel is)

Lightly-Juiced is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lightly-Juiced is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lightly-Juiced is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lightly-Juiced is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lightly-Juiced is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lightly-Juiced is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lightly-Juiced is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lightly-Juiced is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lightly-Juiced is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lightly-Juiced is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lightly-Juiced is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Most of my stuff is from chemical guys. Haven't detailed my car in a long time bc I haven't had time but I am probably going to buy a foam gun soon.
    *Sold my cock to Lumber Liquidators because its not like I am using it *
    *Walk into Moes, nobody says welcome to Moes*
    *Not worried about someone stealing my identity because nobody wants to be me crew*
    *Nearly overdosed on Zoloft*
    *Life is like an Abilify commercial*
    *Not a ****phile I am just looking for thin mints*
    *mod negged for no reason crew*

Originally Posted by Lightly-Juiced View Post
    Most of my stuff is from chemical guys. Haven't detailed my car in a long time bc I haven't had time but I am probably going to buy a foam gun soon.
    They have some good stuff. Their wheel cleaners and glass cleaners IMO are terrible.

They have wacky marketing as well.

darkninja67 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) darkninja67 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) darkninja67 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) darkninja67 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) darkninja67 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) darkninja67 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) darkninja67 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) darkninja67 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) darkninja67 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) darkninja67 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) darkninja67 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by BrianK. View Post
    They have some good stuff. Their wheel cleaners and glass cleaners IMO are terrible.

They have wacky marketing as well.
    Are their polishes/waxes good though??
    rumpler of stiltskins

"I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid I'll survive and have to watch you suffer" - Thy Art Is Murder

"Life will cease so breathe deep" - Lorna Shore

MVHagey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MVHagey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MVHagey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MVHagey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MVHagey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MVHagey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MVHagey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MVHagey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MVHagey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MVHagey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MVHagey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You people really spend this much time/money into detailing your car?

darkninja67 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) darkninja67 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) darkninja67 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) darkninja67 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) darkninja67 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) darkninja67 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) darkninja67 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) darkninja67 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) darkninja67 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) darkninja67 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) darkninja67 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by MVHagey View Post
    Why not take care of something you worked hard for??
    rumpler of stiltskins

"I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid I'll survive and have to watch you suffer" - Thy Art Is Murder

"Life will cease so breathe deep" - Lorna Shore

MVHagey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MVHagey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MVHagey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MVHagey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MVHagey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MVHagey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MVHagey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MVHagey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MVHagey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MVHagey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MVHagey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by darkninja67 View Post
    Why not take care of something you worked hard for??
    You could spend half the price and you wouldn't know the difference. It shouldn't take more than 5 hours to make a car look brand new.

Originally Posted by darkninja67 View Post
    Are their polishes/waxes good though??
    I have not used their polishes, but their Jetseal, 5050 and petes 53 are very good.

You could spend half the price and you wouldn't know the difference. It shouldn't take more than 5 hours to make a car look brand new.
    Yeah its super fun and the results are even better with superior products. From a distance or even in pictures all clean cars will look nearly the same, but up close its a different story. Its like anything; we all have our hobbies.

It depends on how hammered the car is, 5 hours is definitely not enough time to do a full detail, including paint correction on a neglected car.

If you wash/detail cars on the side or enjoy keeping your own clean all the time, then I would recommend buying one of these. Do a google search and see where you can find the lowest price. I got mine from Home Depot . com because vacuums and blowers were all on sale with free shipping. You can get them on any detailing distributor website as well.

Metro Vac Blaster Sidekick

It blows slightly hotter air and it filters the air as well. Works amazing for those annoying cracks, mirrors, badges, trim, any stripping, grills, wheels, etc..

Also helps the drying process if you have a solid LSP that beads water.

Ever wonder what those 'little rust spots" on your car are?

Its rail dust: Small metallic particles that settle on the surface of your vehicle that become embedded in the paint. As they oxidize or rust they appear as orange spots on the paint. (people call it industrial fallout as well)

WHAT CAN YOU DO?

If you want to make it easier on yourself then buy a decon/iron out spray or gel and apply to the car first, let it bleed out then rinse. After that you use a claybar.

There are a lot of these products out there, so if you want more info about these then let me know. (I can go into more detail)

If you're into detailing then you need at least one of these.

Kwazar Mercury Pro Sprayer: It's a dual action trigger. When you squeeze it sprays, when you release it sprays.

On vacation next week, so I'm finally able to completely detail my whole car this next week. Pretty excited about that. Just placed a few orders today.

Quick tip: Ever wonder why your tires are brown? Well it could be two things. Blooming or solvent based tire dressing is being used. How do you combat it? Take an all purpose cleaner and scrub the hell out of the tire with a stiff bristled brush and then rinse. You may need to do this a few times. Then apply a water based tire dressing...much safer and wont stain your clear coat.

Bump...thanks to natypes for moving this thread to this section.

Anyone want to learn? I can try to help anyone as much as possible, whenever I can.

Ayz33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ayz33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ayz33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ayz33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ayz33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ayz33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ayz33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ayz33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ayz33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ayz33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ayz33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Question: The windows on my car have some sort of "scratch" pattern on them, completely vertical but i don't think its actually scratches as i don't feel them. Tried multiple cleaning methods including sprays and clay. Even tried to mess around and use wax but nothing worked. Not sure what to do..its on both sides and i guess just sort of developed over time. Maybe there was some sort of sand/dirt inside my door from living out in Arizona and it scratched it more and more every time i put my windows down(all the time)
    Pilot

FenderFreak145 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FenderFreak145 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FenderFreak145 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FenderFreak145 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FenderFreak145 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FenderFreak145 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FenderFreak145 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FenderFreak145 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FenderFreak145 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FenderFreak145 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FenderFreak145 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    In on this, I'm becoming obsessed with washing/cleaning the mustang.

Definitely following AMMO NYC's youtube/site.

I'll take pics of my poverty supplies in a bit when I get cleaned up.

EDIT: Done, extreme beginner set-up:

Last edited by FenderFreak145; 08-25-2013 at 01:46 PM.
    ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ African American Airline Pilot ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

*M*F*C*

LS1 to LBZ now BoostedLS2 BigB02z28's Avatar
    BigB02z28 is a name known to all. (+5000) BigB02z28 is a name known to all. (+5000) BigB02z28 is a name known to all. (+5000) BigB02z28 is a name known to all. (+5000) BigB02z28 is a name known to all. (+5000) BigB02z28 is a name known to all. (+5000) BigB02z28 is a name known to all. (+5000) BigB02z28 is a name known to all. (+5000) BigB02z28 is a name known to all. (+5000) BigB02z28 is a name known to all. (+5000) BigB02z28 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Ayz33 View Post
    Question: The windows on my car have some sort of "scratch" pattern on them, completely vertical but i don't think its actually scratches as i don't feel them. Tried multiple cleaning methods including sprays and clay. Even tried to mess around and use wax but nothing worked. Not sure what to do..its on both sides and i guess just sort of developed over time. Maybe there was some sort of sand/dirt inside my door from living out in Arizona and it scratched it more and more every time i put my windows down(all the time)
    They're scratches from your rubber seals. You can get a glass polish and pad and remove them but they'll come back if you don't replace the rubbers.

If anyone is near Houston/Katy Tx, I just moved out here and would be glad to show any of you how to polish your cars if you plan on getting a PC or 6" Griots.

I can also do any detailing obviously not free.

My steamer

My Extractor

-CEO 10k Pennies/day - 10k Nickles/day - 10k Dimes/day - Working towards 10k Quarters/day
    *LSx Crew*
    *Duramax Crew*
    *Boost Crew*
    *Sold All My Toys Crew*

flairon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) flairon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) flairon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) flairon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) flairon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) flairon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) flairon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) flairon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) flairon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) flairon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) flairon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    IMG_20130825_101743.jpgIMG_20130825_110948.jpgIf you haven't tried it yet, I recommend this:

Excellent for aluminum, brass, copper, and also does a decent job cleaning up foggy light lenses if you have a buffing wheel to use with it.

I've used this on rims, and silver/gold jewelry and it is outstanding.

I used this on the other half's car today with a mother's power ball.

Started out looking like this (no the picture isn't blurry, thats how jacked up they were)

Ended up with this. Just took a few passes to clean them up

I have tried other stuff that was supposedly made to specifically clean up fogged up headlight lenses and this did a little better job i think.
    Last edited by flairon; 08-25-2013 at 01:48 PM.

WSG1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WSG1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WSG1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WSG1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WSG1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WSG1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WSG1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WSG1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WSG1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WSG1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WSG1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You know how i know you drive a pos beater? I lol at people who think detailing is a cake walk. Some full blown paint correction jobs can take 40-50 hours.

As far as not noticing a difference, Another stupid statement. You must be one of those people who are satisfied with a shiny car and end it there. You park a freshly detailed car next to one that you just threw a coat of cheap wax on after washing and youll see the difference night and day between the 2. There is a reason why people charge $500-$1000 for full details. Its not something a kid can do to a random car with a bucket,soap and a $3 wax from walmart.

Edit: Just realize that was a clueless know it all from misc from a month ago..

Carry on!
    I like the tuna here.