Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Smeagoll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Smeagoll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Should I eat more than 1200 calories when cutting?

Hey, Im 17 years old, and I've been working out for about 2 years on and off. Now I've been taking it more seriously about 2 months, with consistent training (4-5 days a week) and a cleaner nutrition and lifestyle. I'm 5'11 and only 138 pounds (I KNOW SOUNDS PRETTY BAD) I have a little frame, but I actually have some muscle aswell considering that light weight. I'm at around 18% bf.. so I'm a bit like skinny fat. Its mostly in my chest, lower back and belly. I was doing a clean bulk for about 2 months, and I just look a lot fatter. So now im doing intermittent fasting and cutting, to get my bf to about 12-15% then do a clean bulk for a year or so. I dont care about abs or anything, but i just want to be able to wear a t shirt without my flabby chest and lower stomach popping out hahah. I just feel like its better to lose the fat now and start on a clean table. anyway, ive never really counted calories, or macros, but now as I started doing it i saw that to get around 1000-1500 calories on clean food (complex carbs, protein, veggies, good fats) it seems like ive got to eat a **** loads of foods, feels like im eating more now that im cutting. But 1000-1500 calories looks like its nothing. Like today I got about 1100 calories,(low activity) I got about 100g protein, 80g carbs, and about 40g fats. It was something like protein 36% of calories, 30% carbs and 34% cals from fat. All from clean foods. Does those macros look good to me? I was full the whole day.
    So what would you fix if you were my weight? more calories? more protein, carbs, fats?
    Every opinion is welcome!
    cheers from finland

hammer92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hammer92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hammer92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hammer92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hammer92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hammer92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hammer92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hammer92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hammer92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hammer92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hammer92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Smeagoll View Post
    Hey, Im 17 years old, and I've been working out for about 2 years on and off. Now I've been taking it more seriously about 2 months, with consistent training (4-5 days a week) and a cleaner nutrition and lifestyle. I'm 5'11 and only 138 pounds (I KNOW SOUNDS PRETTY BAD) I have a little frame, but I actually have some muscle aswell considering that light weight. I'm at around 18% bf.. so I'm a bit like skinny fat. Its mostly in my chest, lower back and belly. I was doing a clean bulk for about 2 months, and I just look a lot fatter. So now im doing intermittent fasting and cutting, to get my bf to about 12-15% then do a clean bulk for a year or so. I dont care about abs or anything, but i just want to be able to wear a t shirt without my flabby chest and lower stomach popping out hahah. I just feel like its better to lose the fat now and start on a clean table. anyway, ive never really counted calories, or macros, but now as I started doing it i saw that to get around 1000-1500 calories on clean food (complex carbs, protein, veggies, good fats) it seems like ive got to eat a **** loads of foods, feels like im eating more now that im cutting. But 1000-1500 calories looks like its nothing. Like today I got about 1100 calories,(low activity) I got about 100g protein, 80g carbs, and about 40g fats. It was something like protein 36% of calories, 30% carbs and 34% cals from fat. All from clean foods. Does those macros look good to me? I was full the whole day.
    So what would you fix if you were my weight? more calories? more protein, carbs, fats?
    cheers from finland
    That seems pretty low IMHO.

CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500)
    No. Bulk.
    My log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154949233

ryyanwilson will become famous soon enough. (+50) ryyanwilson will become famous soon enough. (+50) ryyanwilson will become famous soon enough. (+50) ryyanwilson will become famous soon enough. (+50) ryyanwilson will become famous soon enough. (+50) ryyanwilson will become famous soon enough. (+50) ryyanwilson will become famous soon enough. (+50) ryyanwilson will become famous soon enough. (+50) ryyanwilson will become famous soon enough. (+50) ryyanwilson will become famous soon enough. (+50) ryyanwilson will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You need way more, get in about 2500 or so. If you are training hard and eating healthy then you shouldn't have to worry about gaining weight (fat weight). It is honestly all about eating healthy

j-rod_kw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    cheers from finland
    when you bulk..you still need to be working out...bulking involves basically just eating more while working out. dont eat an excess amount of protein...it could turn into more body fat. at most if you're cutting...1 gram or a little less per pound of body weight...thats per a day. same with carbs...excess carbs can turn into sugar in the body. As far as calories...2200-2400 calories should be fine as long as you're not exhausting yourself in the gym.

cjl14 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cjl14 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cjl14 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cjl14 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cjl14 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cjl14 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cjl14 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cjl14 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cjl14 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cjl14 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cjl14 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by j-rod_kw View Post
    when you bulk..you still need to be working out...bulking involves basically just eating more while working out. dont eat an excess amount of protein...it could turn into more body fat. at most if you're cutting...1 gram or a little less per pound of body weight...thats per a day. same with carbs...excess carbs can turn into sugar in the body. As far as calories...2200-2400 calories should be fine as long as you're not exhausting yourself in the gym.
    lol

okay mr 4% bodyfat

no thanks jeff.
    My Lifting Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168625533

Bench: 225x5 (tng) | 250x1 (paused)
    Squat: 275x10 | 335x1
    Deadlift: 315x8 | 365x5 | 455x1 (all deadstop)

ghjk24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ghjk24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ghjk24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ghjk24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ghjk24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ghjk24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ghjk24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ghjk24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ghjk24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ghjk24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ghjk24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by cjl14 View Post
    lol

okay mr 4% bodyfat

no thanks jeff.
    Lold hard at pic.

OP, you need to BULK! Bulk bulk bulk bulk F'N BULK!
    please bro not in the AM

atto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) atto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) atto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) atto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) atto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) atto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) atto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) atto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) atto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) atto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) atto is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    10-12 calories per LB of BW

1380 - 1656 calories

I'd start cutting at ~1656 and as you progress farther, bring your calories down to 1380.

I would get at least 1lb of protein per LB of BW. Eat more protein!

Smeagoll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Smeagoll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Okay thanks for advices, And yeah, I was thinking about taking this cut slowly and go for 1800 calories a day, and adjust from there. I'm not going to bulk because that fat really bothers me. I'd rather be a skinny **** for a while, than skinny fat ****. How many pounds would I be losing to get around 13-15% body fat? I don't want to get below 130 pounds.. So if I cut from 138 to around 130 pounds, what could be my possible body fat percentage? However I'm going to go for a long clean bulk after hitting 130 pounds. Please any opinions?

Savanovic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Savanovic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Savanovic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Savanovic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Savanovic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Savanovic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Savanovic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Savanovic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Savanovic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Savanovic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Savanovic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I didnt even bother reading because you shouldnt cut at 1200 calories for any reason...i made the stupid choise of cutting at 1500 cals and lost a lot of muscle! eat 2000 calories and raise activity level.

Originally Posted by Savanovic View Post
    I didnt even bother reading because you shouldnt cut at 1200 calories for any reason...i made the stupid choise of cutting at 1500 cals and lost a lot of muscle! eat 2000 calories and raise activity level.
    Yeah I thought that it's not enough.. Ill go with 1700-1900 depending on my activity. My metabolism is propably just fuked up from eating pretty much anything in the past. But would losing 8 pounds of fat make a difference in the way my body looks? or my bf percentage?
    Anyone?

But I'm not a powerlifter Aasemd's Avatar
    Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by atto View Post
    10-12 calories per LB of BW

1380 - 1656 calories

I'd start cutting at ~1656 and as you progress farther, bring your calories down to 1380.

I would get at least 1lb of protein per LB of BW. Eat more protein!
    Is this serious or bro science? 10-12 calories per lbs of body weight for cutting part
    Who even cares?

Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yeah I thought that it's not enough.. Ill go with 1700-1900 depending on my activity. My metabolism is propably just fuked up from eating pretty much anything in the past. But would losing 8 pounds of fat make a difference in the way my body looks? or my bf percentage?
    Anyone?
    If you're like 138 and just skinny chubby you need to lift heavier. Your body will bulk up. Even if you were 7% body fat weak abs still look like ****. And so does skinny arms
    Who even cares?

atto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) atto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) atto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) atto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) atto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) atto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) atto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) atto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) atto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) atto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) atto is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Aasemd View Post
    Is this serious or bro science? 10-12 calories per lbs of body weight for cutting part
    It's serious, I got it from here: http://liamrosen.com/fitness.html#part3

I've used a ton of calorie calculators and this seems to be spot on

Okay thanks for advices, And yeah, I was thinking about taking this cut slowly and go for 1800 calories a day, and adjust from there. I'm not going to bulk because that fat really bothers me. I'd rather be a skinny **** for a while, than skinny fat ****. How many pounds would I be losing to get around 13-15% body fat? I don't want to get below 130 pounds.. So if I cut from 138 to around 130 pounds, what could be my possible body fat percentage? However I'm going to go for a long clean bulk after hitting 130 pounds. Please any opinions?
    138 * 0.18 (BF) = ~25lbs of fat , 113 lbm

130 - 113 = 17 lbs of fat puts you at around 13% BF

Someone double check my numbers, though

BTW, OP, go to the Nutrition section and read, you have a lot to learn!

Thankful for my gratitude TomNotNatalie's Avatar
    TomNotNatalie will become famous soon enough. (+50) TomNotNatalie will become famous soon enough. (+50) TomNotNatalie will become famous soon enough. (+50) TomNotNatalie will become famous soon enough. (+50) TomNotNatalie will become famous soon enough. (+50) TomNotNatalie will become famous soon enough. (+50) TomNotNatalie will become famous soon enough. (+50) TomNotNatalie will become famous soon enough. (+50) TomNotNatalie will become famous soon enough. (+50) TomNotNatalie will become famous soon enough. (+50) TomNotNatalie will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Please don't cut. Do a bulk and slowly raise the calories you eat on average every week. This will bring up your metabolism and allow you to cut a lot more easily when you have some good mass on your frame.

It's serious, I got it from here: http://liamrosen.com/fitness.html#part3

I've used a ton of calorie calculators and this seems to be spot on
    I should prob take this into consideration. I started cutting at 205 and been on a 2000 calorie diet. Prob too much of a deficient considering last time I checked was like last week and I was 195
    Who even cares?

138 * 0.18 (BF) = ~25lbs of fat , 113 lbm

130 - 113 = 17 lbs of fat puts you at around 13% BF

Someone double check my numbers, though

BTW, OP, go to the Nutrition section and read, you have a lot to learn!
    Thanks buddy, much appreciated! So this means that I basically will be at around 13% bodyfat if I cutted to 130 pounds (If I didn't lose any lbm) right?

repped!

Sebaschannn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sebaschannn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sebaschannn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sebaschannn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sebaschannn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sebaschannn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sebaschannn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sebaschannn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sebaschannn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sebaschannn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sebaschannn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Bulk bulk bulk

Thanks buddy, much appreciated! So this means that I basically will be at around 13% bodyfat if I cutted to 130 pounds (If I didn't lose any lbm) right?

repped!
    Yes. However, this is all assuming that you are actually at 18% BF (from your 1st post).

Originally Posted by TomNotNatalie View Post
    Please don't cut. Do a bulk and slowly raise the calories you eat on average every week. This will bring up your metabolism and allow you to cut a lot more easily when you have some good mass on your frame.
    I don't have a problem being skinny for a while. It's so much faster to lose some fat, than to build muscle. I just really dont want to bulk on 18% bf because of the places that the fat goes (chest and lovehandles). It should only take about 2-3 months propably then I will do a wiser bulk than before..

PrinceAikins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PrinceAikins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PrinceAikins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PrinceAikins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PrinceAikins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PrinceAikins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PrinceAikins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PrinceAikins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PrinceAikins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PrinceAikins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PrinceAikins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't have a problem being skinny for a while. It's so much faster to lose some fat, than to build muscle. I just really dont want to bulk on 18% bf because of the places that the fat goes (chest and lovehandles). It should only take about 2-3 months propably then I will do a wiser bulk than before..
    If you were to bulk and BUILD a considerable amount of muscle...the fat by your 'chest' and 'lovehandles' won't be as visible....probably won't even notice it.
    Cutting will just make you look like a smaller version of your current self...still gon' be skinny fat....still gon' have that fatty chest n those handles cuh

Originally Posted by PrinceAikins View Post
    If you were to bulk and BUILD a considerable amount of muscle...the fat by your 'chest' and 'lovehandles' won't be as visible....probably won't even notice it.
    Cutting will just make you look like a smaller version of your current self...still gon' be skinny fat....still gon' have that fatty chest n those handles cuh
    When I was 150 pounds and bulking, I was fat as fuark from my hips and belly (wrong nutrition though). Since then I've cutted to 138, and I look actually better, my arms are the same size, I got more veins in my forearms, and just have stubborn fat on those certain areas. I'm stronger also. Now I've started Intermittent fasting to burn that stubborn fat. ( not that 6 small meals a day bs) That way my body has more time to go for those stored fat areas when still getting enough protein to maintain muscle. So far I havent lost any muscle. if something I've gained slightly.

When I was 150 pounds and bulking, I was fat as fuark from my hips and belly (wrong nutrition though). Since then I've cutted to 138, and I look actually better, my arms are the same size, I got more veins in my forearms, and just have stubborn fat on those certain areas. I'm stronger also. Now I've started Intermittent fasting to burn that stubborn fat. ( not that 6 small meals a day bs). So far I havent lost any muscle. if something I've gained slightly.
    You and I have been doing the same thing. I can tell you that you won't regret it. For me, I care more about not looking like a fatass than I do about lifting a lot of weight... so, I cut to get rid of the fat before bulking. Not to mention that when you DO bulk, you'll be able to tell what is muscle and what is fat than if you had just bulked.

You and I have been doing the same thing. I can tell you that you won't regret it. For me, I care more about not looking like a fatass than I do about lifting a lot of weight... so, I cut to get rid of the fat before bulking. Not to mention that when you DO bulk, you'll be able to tell what is muscle and what is fat than if you had just bulked.
    Yeah exactly! Its more motivating to see muscle gains clearly, than having that fat covering it. When I was fat and bulking all gains I saw was pretty much in my stomach hahah. I'd rather be smaller and ripped, than soft and big. We all have different goals. But thanks to all for your answers!

DamonX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DamonX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DamonX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DamonX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DamonX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DamonX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DamonX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DamonX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DamonX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DamonX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DamonX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I havent seen your picture but your height to weight ratio at 5 '11" 138 lbs seems very skinny, but since you have your mind set on cutting then good luck man! I totally understand tho, i was around 20-22% bodyfat and ppl wouldve still told me to bulk..And definietely give IF a try, it's well worth it! I've been cutting using IF for the past 10-11 weeks.
    A lot of ppl will say IF doesn't work, but try it for yourself

Originally Posted by DamonX View Post
    I havent seen your picture but your height to weight ratio at 5 '11" 138 lbs seems very skinny, but since you have your mind set on cutting then good luck man! I totally understand tho, i was around 20-22% bodyfat and ppl wouldve still told me to bulk..And definietely give IF a try, it's well worth it! I've been cutting using IF for the past 10-11 weeks.
    A lot of ppl will say IF doesn't work, but try it for yourself
    Yeah I agree, I've always been really light, but gained fat fairly easily.. Yeah my stats look pretty bad, but I got pretty small bone structure. But Im still not all skin and bones. I look wide enough from the front, but my rib cage is really thin from the side. Ive seen a lot of guys who look even skinnier than me, but weigh a lot more. And when I tell my weight, they are surprised. Im like a woman, Im ashamed of my weight haha
    And yeah so far I'm loving IF, Im going to bulk with it aswell. Thank god I found Hodgetwins

HalfNatty is a complete loser! (-2000) HalfNatty is a complete loser! (-2000) HalfNatty is a complete loser! (-2000) HalfNatty is a complete loser! (-2000) HalfNatty is a complete loser! (-2000) HalfNatty is a complete loser! (-2000) HalfNatty is a complete loser! (-2000) HalfNatty is a complete loser! (-2000) HalfNatty is a complete loser! (-2000) HalfNatty is a complete loser! (-2000) HalfNatty is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Also remember when you start a cut, youll need to start at a higher amount of calories because the longer you cut, the lower your calories are going to need to go to continue seeing results.

So if you start off at 1,200 cals a day... wtf are you going to drop to in a month? 1,000?

I would personally never go below 1,800 calories at the END of the cut. Meaning I would start around 2,600. And to be honest I would probably never go down to 1,800, Id just raise cardio.

DamonX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DamonX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DamonX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DamonX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DamonX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DamonX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DamonX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DamonX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DamonX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DamonX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DamonX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yeah I agree, I've always been really light, but gained fat fairly easily.. Yeah my stats look pretty bad, but I got pretty small bone structure. But Im still not all skin and bones. I look wide enough from the front, but my rib cage is really thin from the side. Ive seen a lot of guys who look even skinnier than me, but weigh a lot more. And when I tell my weight, they are surprised. Im like a woman, Im ashamed of my weight haha
    And yeah so far I'm loving IF, Im going to bulk with it aswell. Thank god I found Hodgetwins
    I don't think with bulk it'll make much of a difference. Think about the reasoning behind it.. Your in a caloric surplus during a bulk , regardless of fasting your body's going to be getting more calories than it needs to sustain its weight. That's just my opinion, you can try it out for yourself though and let me know how it goes.

Originally Posted by HalfNatty View Post
    Also remember when you start a cut, youll need to start at a higher amount of calories because the longer you cut, the lower your calories are going to need to go to continue seeing results.

So if you start off at 1,200 cals a day... wtf are you going to drop to in a month? 1,000?

I would personally never go below 1,800 calories at the END of the cut. Meaning I would start around 2,600. And to be honest I would probably never go down to 1,800, Id just raise cardio.
    2600?
    You're also 58 lbs heavier than the OP my friend. A third of you is about half the weight of OP, big difference