Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Safely Squatting at Home with Compact Equipment - New Interesting Stuff

First, yes, the safest way to lift at home is with a power cage.

However, you can also find people on this forum advocating for lifting without any safeties at all (throw the bar off your back while squatting, roll the bar or let the plates fall off the end while bench pressing, etc).

I'm personally comfortable lifting in a situation where I have something I can put the bar down on - I'm not doing 1 rep maxes, or training to failure, I just don't want to get trapped under the bar while squatting or bench pressing.

What I've been looking for is equipment that would let me squat in relative safety at home (squats and bench press), but also not take up permanent space in the room - something I could throw under a bed, under a couch, or in a closet, if people were coming over. Something where I could work out in my living room or bedroom, but not have a cage permanently taking up space. Something that wouldn't require more than a couple of minutes to assemble or dissassemble. So sliding rods and hand screws are fine, but pulling out tools etc etc is to long.

Previously the best I had ran across was the Ironmind setup - but at $1,208.39 shipped (to my address in Minnesota) for just the spotters and the rack it's insanely expensive -
    http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/ope...weathome1.html

Next up was the the Valor BD-15 for around $350 (*might* be able to fit it in a closet with that center bar removed) -
    http://valorathleticsinc.com/store/B...o-p-16441.html

Or the New York Barbell C-Pro 93140 - Titan Adj. Squat/Dip Rack for around $540 (could remove rear center bar and it would be pretty flat to store) -
    http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/pro93140.html

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

But...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Today I ran across something a little more promising on amazon ($350 including shipping) -

CFF Heavy Duty Squat Stands; 1000 lb capacity
    http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Stands-c...d_sim_sbs_sg_6

Here's a ******** pic -
    https://www.********.com/photo.php?f...levant_count=1

The official site says that it's 25x25 inches, so...it's like 1" short of being perfect for a closet (which as I understand are usually 2 feet deep standard) but maybe if you put it by the door part it would fit.

Anyone else have any thoughts? I mean...other than "a power cage is safer" (that's a given, but a lot of us just don't have the space for it).

P.S. Amazon for some reason lists that the bar catch can handle 100 pounds - obviously that's not nearly enough, but the official page says "Can handle 1000 lbs at the bar catch. Spotter arms are rated at 500 lb static weight".
    Last edited by PaulRivers; 07-19-2013 at 02:21 PM.

PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Here are all the links and pics I ran across, for future reference and in case anyone else is curious.

$350 w/shipping

CFF Heavy Duty Squat Stands; 1000 lb capacity - Arms 500lb Static Capacity

Page on Manufacturer's site -
    http://www.christiansfitnessfactory....00-lb-Capacity

******** Pic

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

They also make a lighter and cheaper version ($200 w/shipping).

CFF Gen 2 Squat Stands w/750 lb capacity - Arms 400lb Static Capacity
    http://www.amazon.com/CFF-Gen-Squat-...A298MHD8X7915W

Manufacturer's Page -
    http://www.christiansfitnessfactory....50-lb-Capacity

Video from that Page -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=-XwnijjXKIw

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

And a heavier duty version ($470 w/shipping).

CFF "Pro Series Elite" Heavy Duty Squat Stands
    http://www.amazon.com/Series-Elite-H...ds=squat+stand

Manufacturer's Page -
    http://www.christiansfitnessfactory....y-Squat-Stands

******** video -
    https://www.********.com/video/video...01021584568265

Picture -

Another picture -

Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Looks fine for a missed rep, but if you lose balance or injure yourself, hitting those tiny safeties would be dependent on luck.
    Boomer Rep Crew #1
    []---[] Equipment Crew #37 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #3 ()---()

"You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit."
    -Wendler

Originally Posted by Cleveland33 View Post
    Looks fine for a missed rep, but if you lose balance or injure yourself, hitting those tiny safeties would be dependent on luck.
    Clearly if you lose your balance somehow while squatting, you just plain need a cage.

But now that you mention it, it's weird how much shorter the arms look in the version in my first pic in the ******** pic vs how long they look in the amazon pic...

Hrm, I can't find anywhere that says how long the spotter arms are...

jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000)
    You're just wasting your time, own up and get a power rack. Stop putting fitness on the back burner trying to hide it under beds and fold it up; get a rack and be done with it. Those little baby stands are going to tip over and you'll just piss around with them too much.
    ---------------------------------------
    "Fast is not fast enough, strong is not strong enough."
    ----------------------------------------

cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by PaulRivers View Post
    Clearly if you lose your balance somehow while squatting, you just plain need a cage.

But now that you mention it, it's weird how much shorter the arms look in the version in my first pic in the ******** pic vs how long they look in the amazon pic...

Give them a call real quick - they are a very easy company to deal with. Personally, I wouldn't use anything less than 20", but prefer 24"+.

GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000)

The spotter arms won't extend any further than the base of the stand I'm guessing, otherwise they would tip.

No matter what type you get they will be unsafe.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #30 ()---()

dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000)

not necessarily. the nybb or ironmmind would save you in that case. however, those wont be put away easily, so then you could just spend les for a cage.
    "ive made the most impressive gains when i spent months with the heavy dumbbells and left the power rack cowering in the corner like the b**ch that it is"-anonymous

"sometimes when a mans alone, thats all you got is your dog"

"he fakes to the left. no. he fakes to the right. he doesnt fake. he thinks about faking. he pretends to fake. i dont know where i am. i cant breathe"

Originally Posted by dskoo65 View Post
    not necessarily. the nybb or ironmmind would save you in that case. however, those wont be put away easily, so then you could just spend les for a cage.
    I don't see how...

The Ironmind will give you more room to catch the safeties if you come down slightly forward or slightly backwards, but if you actually lose your balance you're just going to crash into the unattached squat stands on the front - or fall over backwards anyways. I can see the argument that if you collapse while lifting a bigger safety arm gives you more latitude, but if you actually lose your balance it isn't going to catch you either way.

The nybb version would catch you if you fall forward, but it won't catch you if you fall backwards. (Though the standard squat rack will not either, so how important is it I suppose...)

dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000)
    in 30 years of lifting, ive seen hundreds of squat fails, but only one where someone actually fell backwards, and in that case the bar beat them to the ground. the rest of the fails either went forward or the user crumpled straight down.

at any rate, those other squat stand with those 10 inch safeties (if they are even that long) are a tragedy waiting to happen.
    "ive made the most impressive gains when i spent months with the heavy dumbbells and left the power rack cowering in the corner like the b**ch that it is"-anonymous

"he fakes to the left. no. he fakes to the right. he doesnt fake. he thinks about faking. he pretends to fake. i dont know where i am. i cant breathe"

RedJay67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedJay67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedJay67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedJay67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedJay67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedJay67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedJay67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedJay67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedJay67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedJay67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedJay67 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have a portable squat stand and I use those heavy duty collapsible saw horse extended off the catch arms just in case I happen to fall backward. I just can't fit a full cage or even Sumo cage in my place and I feel totally safe squatting with this setup

Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000)
    from previous discussion on same topic http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=148569283

Watson Power Stands http://www.savagestrengthusa.com/wat...at-stands.html have 20" spotter arms and cost $1000.

Those CFF pro elite stands are a missed opportunity to provide the same functionality at a lower price point. Their spotters are only 12.5". http://www.christiansfitnessfactory....y-Squat-Stands

Maybe if you squat really wrong like in the ******** video https://www.********.com/video/video...01021584568265 you can only fail forward and be safe. But your knees will need surgery.

I don't know, I squat in a typical globo gym rack with 15-20" spotters at my gym. It did save me on my one and only failure and it was forward. That said my squat form at that point was still far off. With corrected high bar form I feel more likely to dump the weight off my back or go straight down with it. That's probably why crossfitters are into bumpers and practicing letting go of the weight. If you fail like that at any point except the bottom the bar will land hard on spotters and bend. That's often 3 months of membership down the drain, just for a squat fail.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Detrus; 07-20-2013 at 03:19 PM. Reason: removed unnecessary details
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #24 -!!!---!!!-

Originally Posted by RedJay67 View Post
    I have a portable squat stand and I use those heavy duty collapsible saw horse extended off the catch arms just in case I happen to fall backward. I just can't fit a full cage or even Sumo cage in my place and I feel totally safe squatting with this setup
    That's what I mean, I've just been looking for something that's a little more specifically designed for catching a barbell than a collapsible sawhorse. Which ones do you use? The ones I've seen have impressively high ratings for weight, but in person I wonder if they would actually handle a bar falling on them without collapsing...

Originally Posted by Detrus View Post
    from previous discussion on same topic http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=148569283

Watson Power Stands http://www.savagestrengthusa.com/wat...at-stands.html have 20" spotter arms and cost $1000.
    Thanks for the link, though I've seen those before - I didn't mention other options I don't consider as good as what I listed above. I mean they look fine, it's just that for that kind of money you're nearly into buying the Ironmind stuff, which looks sturdier, catches about twice as big, and easier to store as well.

Those CFF pro elite stands are a missed opportunity to provide the same functionality at a lower price point. Their spotters are only 12.5". http://www.christiansfitnessfactory....y-Squat-Stands
    Ah, hadn't seen that, thanks.

Maybe if you squat really wrong like in the ******** video https://www.********.com/video/video...01021584568265 you can only fail forward and be safe. But your knees will need surgery.

I don't know, I squat in a typical globo gym rack with 15-20" spotters at my gym. It did save me on my one and only failure and it was forward. That said my squat form at that point was still far off. With corrected high bar form I feel more likely to dump the weight off my back or go straight down with it. That's probably why crossfitters are into bumpers and practicing letting go of the weight. If you fail like that at any point except the bottom the bar will land hard on spotters and bend. That's often 3 months of membership down the drain, just for a squat fail.
    That's...kind of what I mean. Whenever there's a thread on it there's always a bunch of people insisting that anything but a power rack is "unsafe", but then there's also plenty of threads from people who don't use any catches or safeties at all and think that's fine to, as they believe you can just dump it off your back safely. I'm personally looking for something in the middle - I've never felt like I was going to fall forward or backwards while squatting, but I have had times I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to get the bar back up. I don't do anything remotely extreme - no 1 rep maxes, no pushing to failure, not moving huge amounts of weight. Just trying to generally get in shape.

That is kind of amusing about the spotters costing money if the bar gets dropped on them, lol, would be kind of funny if that happened...

Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000)
    That is kind of amusing about the spotters costing money if the bar gets dropped on them, lol, would be kind of funny if that happened...
    No the bar permanently bends and costs money to replace.

The thing is, crossfitters use bumper plates only. If you occasionally dumped iron plates, you'd need a certain level of flooring to tolerate it. And again there would be risk to the sleeves of the olympic bar breaking. So you just shove costs around. If you squat with bumpers you can use cheap stands. If you get fancy space saving stands, total cost is similar to bumpers.

About Ironmind vs Watson, I'd choose Watson personally. If you read this thread http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=148569283 reassembling the rack each time is not fun. Watson stands can be stacked on top of each other like so http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attach...1&d=1353100553

I've watched a lot of California Strength workout videos and seen a few fails. Only finding this one now http://youtu.be/1xVKeDVWmSE?t=3m34s but you can't always throw it off easily. I remember another one where a guy was stuck at the bottom position and needed a human spotter to help get it off. And these are expert lifters.

Notice the guy is grabbing his calves in some pain after being stuck heavy weight for 3 seconds. Failures are often total loss of control, mine was. If not for spotters I would have fallen forward and been alive, but would have at least pulled something. Expert lifters are more likely to have controlled fails which can still lead to injury.
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #24 -!!!---!!!-

donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000)
    That's...kind of what I mean. Whenever there's a thread on it there's always a bunch of people insisting that anything but a power rack is "unsafe", but then there's also plenty of threads from people who don't use any catches or safeties at all and think that's fine to, as they believe you can just dump it off your back safely. I'm personally looking for something in the middle - I've never felt like I was going to fall forward or backwards while squatting, but I have had times I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to get the bar back up. I don't do anything remotely extreme - no 1 rep maxes, no pushing to failure, not moving huge amounts of weight. Just trying to generally get in shape.
    This is where your logic fails miserably. Its sort of like the times people say that health insurance is a waste of money. Sure most of the time you never need it... but no one "plans" to get hurt, when something does happen its nice to have prepared for the unexpected. Best of luck with your equipment choice and I hope your taking the few extra bucks that good equipment cost and at least are putting it towards a good emergency health plan. It took me four years to pay off four hours in the emergency room, they weren't small payments and NO I wasn't "doing anything remotely extreme." Some times stuff just happens.

RL Erik 'Iwhspr Fe comes' matrix563's Avatar
    matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by donforeman View Post
    This is where your logic fails miserably. Its sort of like the times people say that health insurance is a waste of money. Sure most of the time you never need it... but no one "plans" to get hurt, when something does happen its nice to have prepared for the unexpected. Best of luck with your equipment choice and I hope your taking the few extra bucks that good equipment cost and at least are putting it towards a good emergency health plan. It took me four years to pay off four hours in the emergency room, they weren't small payments and NO I wasn't "doing anything remotely extreme." Some times stuff just happens.
    this is why I got a second full rack instead of using a pretty decent half rack inside. just want to be totally safe.
    ▪█───────█▪ Equipment Crew #46 ▪█───────█▪
    ▪█───────█▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #21 ▪█───────█▪
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #33 ||---||

~ 5th dimensional being ~

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'd be worried with those smaller safety spotters. There is so much movement potential, and different failure points, with a squat you really want your "safety net" to be as large as possible.

OP, I'd recommend the ones in pictures 1 & 3 of the ones you posted.

Registered User fabtechprerunne's Avatar
    fabtechprerunne is on a distinguished road. (+10) fabtechprerunne is on a distinguished road. (+10) fabtechprerunne is on a distinguished road. (+10) fabtechprerunne is on a distinguished road. (+10) fabtechprerunne is on a distinguished road. (+10) fabtechprerunne is on a distinguished road. (+10) fabtechprerunne is on a distinguished road. (+10) fabtechprerunne is on a distinguished road. (+10) fabtechprerunne is on a distinguished road. (+10) fabtechprerunne is on a distinguished road. (+10) fabtechprerunne is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    First, yes, the safest way to lift at home is with a power cage.

However, you can also find people on this forum advocating for lifting without any safeties at all (throw the bar off your back while squatting, roll the bar or let the plates fall off the end while bench pressing, etc).

I'm personally comfortable lifting in a situation where I have something I can put the bar down on - I'm not doing 1 rep maxes, or training to failure, I just don't want to get trapped under the bar while squatting or bench pressing.

What I've been looking for is equipment that would let me squat in relative safety at home (squats and bench press), but also not take up permanent space in the room - something I could throw under a bed, under a couch, or in a closet, if people were coming over. Something where I could work out in my living room or bedroom, but not have a cage permanently taking up space. Something that wouldn't require more than a couple of minutes to assemble or dissassemble. So sliding rods and hand screws are fine, but pulling out tools etc etc is to long.

Previously the best I had ran across was the Ironmind setup - but at $1,208.39 shipped (to my address in Minnesota) for just the spotters and the rack it's insanely expensive -
    http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/ope...weathome1.html

Next up was the the Valor BD-15 for around $350 (*might* be able to fit it in a closet with that center bar removed) -

Or the New York Barbell C-Pro 93140 - Titan Adj. Squat/Dip Rack for around $540 (could remove rear center bar and it would be pretty flat to store) -
    http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/pro93140.html

But...

Today I ran across something a little more promising on amazon ($350 including shipping) -

CFF Heavy Duty Squat Stands; 1000 lb capacity

Here's a ******** pic -

The official site says that it's 25x25 inches, so...it's like 1" short of being perfect for a closet (which as I understand are usually 2 feet deep standard) but maybe if you put it by the door part it would fit.

Anyone else have any thoughts? I mean...other than "a power cage is safer" (that's a given, but a lot of us just don't have the space for it).

P.S. Amazon for some reason lists that the bar catch can handle 100 pounds - obviously that's not nearly enough, but the official page says "Can handle 1000 lbs at the bar catch. Spotter arms are rated at 500 lb static weight".
    I know i'm just reiterating what others have already stated, GET A "POWER RACK"! Their really is nothing that comes remotely close to the safety of a power rack. Have you not seen the videos on page 2 or 3 of the Power rack thread? Where others have failed using similar things that your wanting to use. Also on those pages, you can see where a power rack saved them. While you may not be using 1 rep max on those stands etc, its not necessarily 1 rep maxing where you could run into trouble it can happen with weight that you could normally do X amount of reps.

Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If you don't have room for a proper setup maybe you should just join a gym ??
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No 7
    ()---() York Barbell Club #7 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #13 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #9 -!!!---!!!-

Originally Posted by fabtechprerunne View Post
    Have you not seen the videos on page 2 or 3 of the Power rack thread? .
    the truth is that with all those fails, the ironmind or nybb setups above would have saved the lifters. there are also some monster half racks that plenty advocate that actually have shorter spotters than those two above. I would agree all the other stands above with the tiny spotters are close to useless. I would also reiterate that the ironmind and nybb setups aren't space saving over a full rack and would not be easily put away in a closet.

Location: Birmingham, Westmidlands, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000)
    the nybb and the ironmind for saving space is bs imo, they actualy make it more awkward than a full rack due to you not being restricted at all w/ the rack, + trust me you do not want to take it apart and put it together every time you want to use it.

ive had both set ups and you can see on the second page the comparrison.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...2181321&page=1
    Last edited by owasM; 07-22-2013 at 05:33 AM.
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #4 -!!!---!!!-

No the bar permanently bends and costs money to replace.
    Ah, I had though you mean the safety arm, but that makes more sense.

The thing is, crossfitters use bumper plates only. If you occasionally dumped iron plates, you'd need a certain level of flooring to tolerate it. And again there would be risk to the sleeves of the olympic bar breaking. So you just shove costs around. If you squat with bumpers you can use cheap stands. If you get fancy space saving stands, total cost is similar to bumpers.
    If cost was the same, bumper plates would be the way to go, though like you said the problem is that you need good flooring, something you probably don't have if you're dealing with a small space.

About Ironmind vs Watson, I'd choose Watson personally. If you read this thread http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=148569283 reassembling the rack each time is not fun. Watson stands can be stacked on top of each other like so http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attach...1&d=1353100553
    I read through that thread, but I don't see anyone *actually* saying that they found it to be difficult to assemple and dissassemble the rack. It sounded like...well, there's no other way to put it - the usual weird whining you always get. "Oh, spending 2 minutes screwing some handscrews in is *so hard* I just don't think I could do it...". I mean unless I missed something, most of the comments were from people who didn't own it but were theorizing it would be to much work, and the one from someone who owned it didn't say "I tried it and it was terrible", it was more like "I also theoretically think it would be terrible".

The problem with the Watson stands is that the one in your pic (not the ones linked to, but the ones in the pic) don't have any safeties. Having a safety will make them more difficult to stack. After that it's a matter of how you prefer to store them - if putting them in a corner is fine, I can see why you'd prefer the Watson stands. If storing them in a closet or under a bed is more important, then the Ironmind seems better as they aren't as awkard of a shape to put in a closet or under a bed. I can see your point about how they're easy to set up and take down, I didn't want to list every stand I could think of at the beginning. :-)

I've watched a lot of California Strength workout videos and seen a few fails. Only finding this one now http://youtu.be/1xVKeDVWmSE?t=3m34s but you can't always throw it off easily. I remember another one where a guy was stuck at the bottom position and needed a human spotter to help get it off. And these are expert lifters.
    Yes, but both these guys would have been fine with even just a 12 inch safety below their bar. That's rather my point. They weren't falling forwards or backwards, just being able to set down the bar on something would have solved their problem.

Notice the guy is grabbing his calves in some pain after being stuck heavy weight for 3 seconds. Failures are often total loss of control, mine was. If not for spotters I would have fallen forward and been alive, but would have at least pulled something. Expert lifters are more likely to have controlled fails which can still lead to injury.
    Well, that's why I personally don't like squatting without *any* safeties...

But maybe you're right. I just got into weightlifting to get into shape, and maybe it's just to dangerous. It sounds like from the other posters that if you're not willing to give up half a room to a power cage, it's not safe. When I started lifting a lot of my family thought it was a bad idea because of weightlifting's reputation for permanent injury. Sure enough, I managed to tear something in my hip and it's taken forever to figure out how to fix it and get over it, and frankly if I want to 100% fix it my doctor said I would require surgery (the injury didn't involve failing on a lift in any way, fyi).

Maybe I've gone to far in trying to do it and I should read the writing on the wall - weight lifting is dangerous, I probably shouldn't be doing it.

Originally Posted by donforeman View Post
    Hmm, like I said in my previous post, maybe you're right. I already hurt my leg weightlifting (there was no failing at a lift involved), maybe it's just to dangerous. I'm not giving up half a room in my place for a power cage, and maybe I should just realize I'm putting to much effort into just trying to get into shape when it's an inherently dangerous activity.

Originally Posted by smokeater View Post
    I'd be worried with those smaller safety spotters. There is so much movement potential, and different failure points, with a squat you really want your "safety net" to be as large as possible.

OP, I'd recommend the ones in pictures 1 & 3 of the ones you posted.
    Thanks for the comment.

Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    you can get into damn good shape with lifts that don't require safeties or even a bar holder - deads, cleans, and overhead press to start. Maybe even front squats.
    Boomer Rep Crew #1
    []---[] Equipment Crew #37 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #3 ()---()

"You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit."
    -Wendler

Originally Posted by fabtechprerunne View Post
    I know i'm just reiterating what others have already stated, GET A "POWER RACK"! Their really is nothing that comes remotely close to the safety of a power rack. Have you not seen the videos on page 2 or 3 of the Power rack thread? Where others have failed using similar things that your wanting to use. Also on those pages, you can see where a power rack saved them. While you may not be using 1 rep max on those stands etc, its not necessarily 1 rep maxing where you could run into trouble it can happen with weight that you could normally do X amount of reps.
    ...I actually took a look at every video that you can actually view on pages 1-3, and every single one of those guys would have been saved by even just a simple 1 foot safey to put the bar down on. They're all up/down failures, even the 1 guy who goes forward wouldn't have had to if he could have set the bar down (he went foward when he realized he couldn't get the bar up and was trying hard to do it anyways).

Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000)

I am considering Valor BD-15 and a very similar model by Vulcan Strength, V-Task Squat Stand, for my parking lot morning training. Once I get HI-TEMP bumpers, I'll make a jump. Will be hauling them in the back of my truck.

http://www.vulcanstrength.com/Squat-Stand-p/v2t.htm

Attached Images

Originally Posted by owasM View Post
    the nybb and the ironmind for saving space is bs imo, they actualy make it more awkward than a full rack due to you not being restricted at all w/ the rack, + trust me you do not want to take it apart and put it together every time you want to use it.

ive had both set ups and you can see on the second page the comparrison.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...2181321&page=1
    Thanks for the link, while I see what you're saying the reason they save space is because you can take them down...

I simply do not buy into the idea that setting up and taking down one of these racks with handscrews and such is any sort of major impediment. Going to the closest gym to me takes 30 minutes round trip - 10 minutes there, 10 minutes back, and 10 minutes in walking in, swiping the card, changing clothes, walking up to the workout area, etc. Even if it took 10 minutes to set up, and 10 minutes to tear down (I think it's more likely to only take 5), it's still not as time consuming as going to the gym. And you don't have to take it down - you can leave it up most of the time, just taking it down when you actually need the space. I mean it's seriously a square rod and some handscrew bolts, it's not that hard...

the truth is that with all those fails, the ironmind or nybb setups above would have saved the lifters. there are also some monster half racks that plenty advocate that actually have shorter spotters than those two above.
    Exactly...

I would also reiterate that the ironmind and nybb setups aren't space saving over a full rack and would not be easily put away in a closet.
    It's clear from the pic in the other thread that that the Ironmind setup, when broken down, would easily fit in a closet (the big white thing is not part of the Ironmind setup, the black bars and the red bar are). The biggest problem would be finding a place to put the barbell -

The NYBB one is actually in front of a closet, it looks like if you dissambled it and put the arms down to their lowest position, it would fit into a closet leaning against the back wall pretty easily (if you ignore the bench, there are other more compact benches than that) -