jsasala is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsasala is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsasala is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsasala is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsasala is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsasala is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsasala is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsasala is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsasala is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsasala is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsasala is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Critique My Diet

I'll say sorry in advance for making one of these threads, it seems like a lot of people make these without much research. I'm trying to do a slow bulk for minimal fat gain, aiming around .5lbs per week. I can't seem to make progress though. My TEE was right around 2830 calories using a factor of 1.6 ( I do 3 HIIT sessions a week and lift 6 days a week, although my day job is sitting at a desk). Below is an average day for me currently:

EDIT: sorry but the table below is not being spaced out like it is in the edit view

Food Calories Protein Carbs Fat
    #1 8 oz yogurt 120 23 9 0
    1 medium banana 105 1 27 0.4
    1 scoop whey 120 25 2 0.5
    1 tbsp peanut butter 95 4 6 6
    8 oz milk 90 8 13 0

#2 6 oz Greek Yogurt 140 14 20 0
    1.5 oz almonds 240 9 9 21

#3 cup brown rice 300 6 68 3
    1/2 cup vegetables 60 2 9 0
    8 oz chicken breast 200 40 0 5
    1 tsp soy sauce 10 1 0 0

#4 1 quest bar 160 20 25 8

#5 2 slices wheat bread 100 8 20 2
    2 tbsp peanut butter 180 8 12 16
    2 tsp jelly 20 0 10 0

#6 1/2 cup brown rice 150 3 34 1.5
    8 oz chicken breast 200 40 0 5
    1/2 cup vegetables 60 2 9 0

#7 2 slices wheat bread 100 8 20 2
    PB 180 8 12 16
    Jelly 20 0 10 0

Total Macros 2890 280 319 87.4

I used 1.35 grams of protein per pound, .5 grams of fat and the rest carbs to come up with my macros. I am currently at 165 lbs.

It may change day to day a bit but is typically around there. I think I will get too much protein and not enough fat on some days. Is this a good plan to follow? I felt like for maintenance that was pretty high, but it seems to be correct since for the past month I haven't gained any weight. I might drink a protein shake or add in something else with my last meal to get extra calories above maintenance. Does anyone see any issues or flaws with this? I'm around 10% body fat ( my profile picture is current) but seem to have a little bit of a gut on my lower abs. No matter what I do I can't get rid of it. Is that something that will stay there until i start cutting? And lastly, I feel like I am constantly bloated and am very gassy all the time, I'm thinking about getting some food allergy tests to see if something could be causing it. I have already cut out lactose for months now and that doesn't seem to be the answer. Appreciate any and all responses.

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I hope you know that meal frequency is largely a function of personal preference, though eating as frequently as you are will obviously have some negative impact, but not enough to recommend you stop eating so frequently if you really prefer that eating style.

Also, I hope you know that 135 grams of protein per day is (much more than) enough to optimize outcomes. It's fine to consume more, if that's your preference, but there's no special benefit.

Additionally, I hope you know that whey protein powder is just a processed fast food and that you're consuming it because you really enjoy the taste.

Lastly, I presume you know that your diet is deficient in micronutrient, but I'm guessing that you are not interested in your health.

Anyway, if you are eating those foods because they are your favorite foods and your energy intake is rationally calibrated for your goals, then your diet, while obviously far from ideal, should be good enough in terms of body composition.

I'll kick your neck off martoch's Avatar
    martoch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) martoch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) martoch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) martoch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) martoch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) martoch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) martoch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) martoch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) martoch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) martoch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) martoch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I can't help you until I know what flavor jelly you're eating during meal #5, sorry.

My point is...we don't need to see a list of foods you're eating as long as your numbers are in check. Meal frequency preference was already mentioned by Pug above.

jsasala is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsasala is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsasala is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsasala is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsasala is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsasala is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsasala is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsasala is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsasala is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsasala is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsasala is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by WonderPug View Post
    I hope you know that meal frequency is largely a function of personal preference, though eating as frequently as you are will obviously have some negative impact, but not enough to recommend you stop eating so frequently if you really prefer that eating style.

Also, I hope you know that 135 grams of protein per day is (much more than) enough to optimize outcomes. It's fine to consume more, if that's your preference, but there's no special benefit.

Additionally, I hope you know that whey protein powder is just a processed fast food and that you're consuming it because you really enjoy the taste.

Lastly, I presume you know that your diet is deficient in micronutrient, but I'm guessing that you are not interested in your health.

Anyway, if you are eating those foods because they are your favorite foods and your energy intake is rationally calibrated for your goals, then your diet, while obviously far from ideal, should be good enough in terms of body composition.
    Are you saying is it deficient in micro-nutrients because I'm eating the same foods? This is just an example of my macros, I switch my foods up still. I'll eat sweet potatoes and switch my carb sources up throughout the week. I also eats a lot of different vegetables. I also will typically switch protein sources up week to week. I got my protein intake from the stickies - it said up to 1.35 grams of protein per pound so that is what I went with. Would you recommend eating more carbs or fat?

Registered User thebencher900lb's Avatar
    thebencher900lb is just really nice. (+1000) thebencher900lb is just really nice. (+1000) thebencher900lb is just really nice. (+1000) thebencher900lb is just really nice. (+1000) thebencher900lb is just really nice. (+1000) thebencher900lb is just really nice. (+1000) thebencher900lb is just really nice. (+1000) thebencher900lb is just really nice. (+1000) thebencher900lb is just really nice. (+1000) thebencher900lb is just really nice. (+1000) thebencher900lb is just really nice. (+1000)
    Came in wanting to see what WonderPug would respond
    Contrary to popular belief, I dont actually bench 900lbs, as stated in my username.

Supplement Stack:
    -Orange Triad
    -CreaCore
    -MusclePharm Fish Oil
    -Caffeine Tablets

Nutritional ketosis requires explicit reduction of CHO intake to generally lower than 50 g/d and, for some, <30 g/d. Protein must also be restricted, often to <1.8 g/d per kg body mass and sometimes to < 1.2 g/d per kg, with remaining calories composed from fat.

WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The example diet you listed is acutely deficient in micronutrient rich foods, particularly sufficient vegetables to meet sufficiency.

In terms of protein intake, the recommendations you noted are designed to sell protein powders, not help you. Research indicates that 0.82 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight is (much more than) sufficient to optimize outcomes.

To learn more, please click here and in summary:

Tarnopolsky et al. (1992) observed no differences in whole body protein synthesis or indexes of lean body mass in strength athletes consuming either 0.64g/lb or 1.10g/lb over a 2 week period. Protein oxidation did increase in the high protein group, indicating a nutrient overload.

Walberg et al. (1988) found that 0.73g/lb was sufficient to maintain positive nitrogen balance in cutting weightlifters over a 7 day time period.

Tarnopolsky et al. (1988) found that only 0.37g/lb was required to maintain positive nitrogen balance in elite bodybuilders (over 5 years of experience, possible previous use of androgens) over a 10 day period. 0.45g/lb was sufficient to maintain lean body mass in bodybuilders over a 2 week period. The authors suggested that 0.55g/lb was sufficient for bodybuilders.

Lemon et al. (1992) found no differences in muscle mass or strength gains in novice bodybuilders consuming either 0.61g/lb or 1.19g/lb over a 4 week period. Based on nitrogen balance data, the authors recommended 0.75g/lb.

Hoffman et al. (2006) found no differences in body composition, strength or resting hormonal concentrations in strength athletes consuming either 0.77g/lb or >0.91g/lb over a 3 month period.

Also see:

Effect of protein intake on strength, body composition and endocrine changes in strength/power athletes. Hoffman JR, Ratamess NA, Kang J, Falvo MJ, Faigenbaum AD. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2006 Dec 13;3:12-8.

Macronutrient content of a hypoenergy diet affects nitrogen retention and muscle function in weight lifters. Walberg JL, Leidy MK, Sturgill DJ, Hinkle DE, Ritchey SJ, Sebolt DR. Int J Sports Med. 1988 Aug;9(4):261-6.

Protein requirements and muscle mass/strength changes during intensive training in novice bodybuilders. Lemon PW, Tarnopolsky MA, MacDougall JD, Atkinson SA. J Appl Physiol. 1992 Aug;73(2):767-75.

Influence of protein intake and training status on nitrogen balance and lean body mass. Tarnopolsky MA, MacDougall JD, Atkinson SA. J Appl Physiol. 1988 Jan;64(1):187-93.

Dietary protein for athletes: From requirements to optimum adaptation. Phillips SM, Van Loon LJ. J Sports Sci. 2011;29 Suppl 1:S29-38.

Protein and amino acid metabolism during and after exercise and the effects of nutrition. Rennie MJ, Tipton KD. Annu Rev Nutr. 2000;20:457-83.

Hartman, J. W., Moore, D. R., & Phillips, S. M. (2006). Resistance training reduces whole-body protein turnover and improves net protein retention in untrained young males. Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism, 31, 557–564.

Moore, D. R., Del Bel, N. C., Nizi, K. I., Hartman, J. W., Tang, J. E., Armstrong, D. et al. (2007). Resistance training reduces fasted- and fed-state leucine turnover and increases dietary nitrogen retention in previously untrained young men. Journal of Nutrition, 137, 985–991.

Effects of exercise on dietary protein requirements. Lemon PW. Int J Sport Nutr. 1998 Dec;8(4):426-47.

Effects of high-calorie supplements on body composition and muscular strength following resistance training. Rozenek R, Ward P, Long S, Garhammer J. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2002 Sep;42(3):340-7.

Increased protein maintains nitrogen balance during exercise-induced energy deficit. Pikosky MA, Smith TJ, Grediagin A, Castaneda-Sceppa C, Byerley L, Glickman EL, Young AJ. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2008 Mar;40(3):505-12.

Dietary carbohydrate-to-fat ratio: influence on whole-body nitrogen retention, substrate utilization, and hormone response in healthy male subjects. McCargar LJ, Clandinin MT, Belcastro AN, Walker K. Am J Clin Nutr. 1989 Jun;49(6):1169-78.

Macronutrient Intakes as Determinants of Dietary Protein and Amino Acid Adequacy. Millward, DJ. J. Nutr. June 1, 2004 vol. 134 no. 6 1588S-1596S.

Thanks for the information. I usually incorporate a salad or extra vegetables with dinner, but I will try to get more in my diet. I usually stay away from processe foods as much as I can (all natural peanut butter, 100% fruit jelly) because I have a very sensitive stomach. I based my diet off of items I read in the stickies.

Originally Posted by jsasala View Post
    I usually stay away from processed foods as much as I can
    FYI: You're consuming processed fast food, marketed as a protein supplement, three times per day.

Yes I know that they are processed, but I enjoy them. I try to limit it to two usually, one with my morning shake and one in the evening when I want something sweet. In the morning, I use NOW Sports whey isolate, sweetened with stevia.