Thread: Got a .45 1911

Dragger is a name known to all. (+5000) Dragger is a name known to all. (+5000) Dragger is a name known to all. (+5000) Dragger is a name known to all. (+5000) Dragger is a name known to all. (+5000) Dragger is a name known to all. (+5000) Dragger is a name known to all. (+5000) Dragger is a name known to all. (+5000) Dragger is a name known to all. (+5000) Dragger is a name known to all. (+5000) Dragger is a name known to all. (+5000)

Got a .45 1911

Finally got a 1911, full-size Rock Island Tactical with VZ grips. Ordered a 10 round Wilson Combat mag, should be in within a week.

It shoots awesome, consistent and stable, very little recoil because of the gun's weight. Any preferences as far as home defense ammo? I've been a fan of Winchester Ranger. It doesn't have rails, any ideas for mounting a light?

Tired of over paying for 9mm ammo, when I can find it at all, but I'm keeping my Ruger SR9c for everyday conceal carry, it's one of my all time favorites. Almost 1,000 rounds and only one FTE, no misfires or FTF yet.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid and lazy people, just that we should eliminate warning labels and welfare, let the problem take care of itself.

I do not support military action in Syria.

John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Dragger View Post
    Finally got a 1911, full-size Rock Island Tactical with VZ grips. Ordered a 10 round Wilson Combat mag, should be in within a week.
    Wait a minute... 10 rounds in a single stack 1911? Am I missing something here? Mine loads 8 rounds at best.

It shoots awesome, consistent and stable, very little recoil because of the gun's weight. Any preferences as far as home defense ammo? I've been a fan of Winchester Ranger.
    Try out several different brands if you can. I made the mistake of falling in love with a certain brand of ammo for my .45, but when I went to the range to fire the stuff - it printed all over the f**king target (not good). Turns out I had to find out the best stuff and tried 6 different loads before finding one that was worth a damn. BTW, it was also one of the cheapest, so that's good for me in terms of more practice, etc.

It doesn't have rails, any ideas for mounting a light?
    This is one of the main gripes of older model 1911's - no tactical rails. I do have a sweet laser mounted on my Glock, but nothing on my 1911.

Tired of over paying for 9mm ammo, when I can find it at all, but I'm keeping my Ruger SR9c for everyday conceal carry, it's one of my all time favorites. Almost 1,000 rounds and only one FTE, no misfires or FTF yet.
    I stopped looking for 9mm months ago. If I do need any, I order it online. I'm shooting my other stuff now; I bulked up on .22LR long ago so that's what I'm shooting more of these days.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Dragger is a name known to all. (+5000) Dragger is a name known to all. (+5000) Dragger is a name known to all. (+5000) Dragger is a name known to all. (+5000) Dragger is a name known to all. (+5000) Dragger is a name known to all. (+5000) Dragger is a name known to all. (+5000) Dragger is a name known to all. (+5000) Dragger is a name known to all. (+5000) Dragger is a name known to all. (+5000) Dragger is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by John Hicks View Post
    Wait a minute... 10 rounds in a single stack 1911? Am I missing something here? Mine loads 8 rounds at best.

Try out several different brands if you can. I made the mistake of falling in love with a certain brand of ammo for my .45, but when I went to the range to fire the stuff - it printed all over the f**king target (not good). Turns out I had to find out the best stuff and tried 6 different loads before finding one that was worth a damn. BTW, it was also one of the cheapest, so that's good for me in terms of more practice, etc.

This is one of the main gripes of older model 1911's - no tactical rails. I do have a sweet laser mounted on my Glock, but nothing on my 1911.

I stopped looking for 9mm months ago. If I do need any, I order it online. I'm shooting my other stuff now; I bulked up on .22LR long ago so that's what I'm shooting more of these days.
    Factory is an 8 round single stack, got a Wilson's Combat 10 round mag for home defense, it sticks out a little under the grip but it's fine.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid and lazy people, just that we should eliminate warning labels and welfare, let the problem take care of itself.

weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    man no need no rails or light. Shoot to sound from the hip. Get rid of sights as well, they catch clothing in a wrong time. Learn point shooting. Reload your ammo, this is the only way to lower the cost of shooting and get more practice. And you can load some hot stuff, something that rips through vehicle doors. Replace barrel bushing with compensator, it usually has lesser tolerances and improves accuracy. Compress and lap the slide to frame. 1911 is the best pistol ever.

lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by weiss1967 View Post
    man no need no rails or light. Shoot to sound from the hip. . . And you can load some hot stuff, something that rips through vehicle doors.
    Thanks for the legal and home defense advice, Joe Biden.
    Bravery and stupidity are often synonymous. So are cowardice and intelligence.

Tonyahu is not very well liked. (-100) Tonyahu is not very well liked. (-100) Tonyahu is not very well liked. (-100) Tonyahu is not very well liked. (-100) Tonyahu is not very well liked. (-100) Tonyahu is not very well liked. (-100) Tonyahu is not very well liked. (-100) Tonyahu is not very well liked. (-100) Tonyahu is not very well liked. (-100) Tonyahu is not very well liked. (-100) Tonyahu is not very well liked. (-100)
    Love 1911's

Originally Posted by weiss1967 View Post
    man no need no rails or light. Shoot to sound from the hip. Get rid of sights as well, they catch clothing in a wrong time. Learn point shooting. Reload your ammo, this is the only way to lower the cost of shooting and get more practice. And you can load some hot stuff, something that rips through vehicle doors. Replace barrel bushing with compensator, it usually has lesser tolerances and improves accuracy. Compress and lap the slide to frame. 1911 is the best pistol ever.
    Standard 9mm/.45 rounds already cut through car doors.

Looking into a Comp already.

2k10SS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2k10SS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2k10SS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2k10SS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2k10SS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2k10SS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2k10SS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2k10SS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2k10SS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2k10SS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2k10SS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    We not doing the pic thing anymore?
    FBHO

Originally Posted by 2k10SS View Post
    We not doing the pic thing anymore?
    I have some on my iphone I'd love to share, but I don't know how to post them on here.

SuperStudGG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SuperStudGG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SuperStudGG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SuperStudGG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SuperStudGG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SuperStudGG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SuperStudGG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SuperStudGG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SuperStudGG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SuperStudGG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SuperStudGG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm glad things are working out for RIA. I got one their first .38 Supers here in the United States back in 2004 and it was complete junk. About a year ago I went shooting with some guys from work. One of them had a .45 MilSpec like. It shot really well. From what I have heard they're doing things right these days. I been reading about a lot of guys over the years who use these guns as project guns and seems like they couldn't be happier. It reminds me that I have to look over my Father's old Colt National Match. I tend to look over it every now and then just to be sure it's not forming rust or anything like that.

Good Shooting