Registered User SpintingForLife's Avatar
    SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Weight training for sprinters

I posted this in the exercises forum but just saw that there was a sports training forum which would be more appropriate so I'm reposting this thread here.

I'm a recent high school grad that's going to be running on a D2 university track team in the fall. My events are the 100 and 200 meter dash as well as the 4 x 100 relay. I want to do some weight training to increase my speed but I'm not sure what lifts to do and how much time I should spend on them.

I heard that glute strength is actually more important than leg strength for runners. How true is this statement?

Right now I'm doing overhead press, glute bridges, power cleans, back squats, and barbell step-ups for 3 sets of 10 reps each. Should I be doing any different exercises and should I change my rep ranges?

LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You should do them for lower reps. Otherwise, looks solid.

eumar83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

hi great ideas must sport and exercise to lose weight

ProdigalTimmeh is on a distinguished road. (+10) ProdigalTimmeh is on a distinguished road. (+10) ProdigalTimmeh is on a distinguished road. (+10) ProdigalTimmeh is on a distinguished road. (+10) ProdigalTimmeh is on a distinguished road. (+10) ProdigalTimmeh is on a distinguished road. (+10) ProdigalTimmeh is on a distinguished road. (+10) ProdigalTimmeh is on a distinguished road. (+10) ProdigalTimmeh is on a distinguished road. (+10) ProdigalTimmeh is on a distinguished road. (+10) ProdigalTimmeh is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I posted this same link in a similar thread not too long. It's a very good weight training program three days a week with each day focusing on different aspects.

Here you go..

jfoy88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My brother was a sprinter for a long time. I can honestly say explosion training is going to be your best bet for making your glutes stronger. Plyo box circuits and vaults. Look at olympic sprinters they are all ass and legs. I'm sure you get enough sprint training being on skolasheep for it.

A weighted vest and plyo box training will make you so much faster it will scare you. When my brother came down to help me train over a summer between freshman and sophomore years in highschool I dropped my 40 meter time to a 4.3 from a 4.6 and the only thing he added was plyo boxes. (I know that isn't fast for you sprinter types but I was a football player so that was blazing for us :P) I will add that you might need to buy new jeans after starting an INTELLIGENT plyometric routine because if you're doing it right with enough rest and nutrition your legs and ass will explode in size. My brother and I built the boxes I used and they lasted for 3 years before I went into the military and they got turned into firewood. (~30$ iirc) I built another set recently for around 50$ and they've held up for 2 years.

If you aren't very handy I can send you exact measurements that you can have any handy man cut and put together for you for pretty cheap. Just forum message me.

smilelovy520 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Private sale: - Shoes and clothes in all size and in all colors with free shipping,The Bear Details: - up to 72% discount for this private sale of shoes and clothes for men and women,brand shoes bear: Nike blazer shoes and Cycling jerseys>> See all the details for the private sale shoes for men and women:

You can choose the currency at the left top of site.

Cheap Nike Blazer shoes: nikeblazershop.com

Cheap Cycling Jerseys and Tour De France Jerseys:officialcyclingjersey.com

odininagym has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) odininagym has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) odininagym has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) odininagym has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) odininagym has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) odininagym has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) odininagym has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) odininagym has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) odininagym has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) odininagym has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) odininagym has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Glute for running haahahah It's more for sex than running did you know?

SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpintingForLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've added burlgarian split squats, straight leg dead lift, and walking lunges to my work out and reduced my number sets to 2 per exercise. I'm going to weight train monday/thursday and do plyo (which includes sprints) tuesday/friday.

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by SpintingForLife View Post
    I've added burlgarian split squats, straight leg dead lift, and walking lunges to my work out and reduced my number sets to 2 per exercise. I'm going to weight train monday/thursday and do plyo (which includes sprints) tuesday/friday.
    In a perfect world, I'd switch the routine to be M/T Plyo T/F weights. Just to make sure you're fresh for the plyos. If you can't, though, that'll do.

Originally Posted by krakkerz View Post
    In a perfect world, I'd switch the routine to be M/T Plyo T/F weights. Just to make sure you're fresh for the plyos. If you can't, though, that'll do.
    It's summer so my schedule is pretty open. I recover really fast so I don't think it matters what order I do them in but, if I'll experiment and see what works best.