Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User KickStartMyLife's Avatar
    KickStartMyLife has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Time to Kick Start My Fat Loss: High Fat, Medium Protein, Low Carb

Ive been out of shape for what seems like my entire life. I was quite fat as a kid, up until high school when I started to work out. Got down to 13% BF and was full of life and energy.

Now, Im this guy: SEE ATTACHMENT

except at the following statistics

5 ft 10 in
    182Lbs.
    21 or 24% (scale fluctuates between 21 and 24%)

My kcal per day for BMR is 1892. I assume thats the same as Calories?

In any case, what would be the ideal Macro for someone on high fat, medium protein and low carb, based on the above stats?

Id like to mention that I am going to Weight train twice a week for the first two week, cardio 4 times for the first two weeks and then up the weight train to 4 per week and cardio down to 3 per week. I wont be taking any days off. Im lazy as it is and would rather stay active, at least until I get close to my goals and will be taking Bronkaid and Caf pills as well; without this, I would have almost no energy to speak of (probably some underlying cause Im not aware of causing this)

Goal: To reach 13% body fat by October 5th 2013.

Any and all help would be much appreciated. Im working on my laziness and know that if I dont, I WILL NEVER REACH ANY GOAL, LET ALONE MY WEIGHT/BF% GOAL.
    Attached Images

Would this be a good macro for me

110G fat
    50G Carb
    110G Protein
    should get me anywhere between 400-500 kcal below BMR.

RamboJesus is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RamboJesus is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RamboJesus is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RamboJesus is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RamboJesus is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RamboJesus is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RamboJesus is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RamboJesus is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RamboJesus is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RamboJesus is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RamboJesus is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    You talk the talk. Now walk the walk.
    ***NEGGED BY MOD CREW***

"All That We Are Is the Result of What We Have Thought. The Mind Is Everything. What We Think, We Shall Become." -Buddha.

Originally Posted by RamboJesus View Post
    You talk the talk. Now walk the walk.
    so I take it that my macros are on point?

also, here are the foods I will be eating/drinking on this diet

*Peanut Butter (usually 100% natural but this time, I forgot to get it)
    *100% whole wheat bread
    *ragu six cheese sause
    *salsa cheese
    *taco bell salsa
    *regular cheese
    *diet cranberry juice
    *diet snapple
    *powerade zero
    *diet soda (max of 6 liters/month, typically at 4 liters/month)
    *97%/3% lean ground beef
    *southwestern chicken breast
    *Low fat Turkey Bacon
    *no sugar jelly
    Last edited by KickStartMyLife; 06-27-2013 at 12:18 AM.

Location: Manchester, Greater Manchester, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You need to increase your protein I'd say, there's absolutely no need to have 110g of fat - it won't be bad for you, but it certainly isn't necessary. I'd drop fat and increase protein.
    IIFYM

Start Weight : 300
    Goal Weight : 200
    Aug/Sep Motivation Thread: 262 | 260.8 | 258.8 | 257.2 | 255 | 264.5 | 256.3 | 254.4

MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    You are not supposed to eat 500 below below. You need to calculate your TDEE and eat around 20% below that.

Decrease your fats to around .4-.5g per pound
    Increase your protein to 1g per lb of lbm
    Fill the rest with carbs. Or you can add a little more to protein and fat but there is no need to get fats as high as you have them.

Expand your food list. You will get bored of eating the same old stuff day in and day out.

Cast0rTr0y is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cast0rTr0y is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cast0rTr0y is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cast0rTr0y is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cast0rTr0y is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cast0rTr0y is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cast0rTr0y is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cast0rTr0y is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cast0rTr0y is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cast0rTr0y is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cast0rTr0y is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    OP, I am on a similar diet. I take in 160g of protein, 120g of Fat and 50g of carbs. Comes out to about 1900 calories. This is where i'm at after 5 months. When i decided to change my eating habits back in January, i was consuming about 2300 calories. I've lost around 40lbs since then. Got another 30 to go

You have to remember that you must consume more grams of protein than fat. 110g of Protein and 110g of fat are not the same amount of calories as 1g of protein has 4 calories and 1g of Fat has 9.

Originally Posted by MrM27 View Post
    You are not supposed to eat 500 below below. You need to calculate your TDEE and eat around 20% below that.

Decrease your fats to around .4-.5g per pound
    Increase your protein to 1g per lb of lbm
    Fill the rest with carbs. Or you can add a little more to protein and fat but there is no need to get fats as high as you have them.

Expand your food list. You will get bored of eating the same old stuff day in and day out.
    the thinking behind this is this

I am way out of shape
    I want to meet my goal of 13% BF by october 5 (this is a VERY important target date for me)

My weight is 180-185 on any given day. My BF% is roughly 23% (scale has very odd fluctuation, from 21 to 24 so lets say Im at 23%, which look inline with some of the images Ive seen of people in my height, weight class)

My reasoning for why high fat, not so high protein is due to the fear that with lack of carbs in my diet, protein will be converted into glucose and that may inhibit my fat burning and ability to be in ketosis (Ive read that 50g of net carbs or lower a day will get me into ketosis).

Basically, Im going to put myself into a position where I am loosing the most amount of fat. Unless what Ive read is wrong. Im certainly open to any and all experiences from others, thats is why I am here. Hopefully someone can help with the above Ive mentioned.

As for feeling like crap on a diet with low carbs and medium protein (which may cause lathargy), Im okay with it. Its only when my carb intake gets lower than that is when lethargy is at its strongest (so to speak). I wish I could last on a true keto diet but 20-30g net carbs isnt enough.

Im here for reasons of enlightenment. If there is something I am doing wrong, for the goals I have, please let me have it. I dont mind brutal honest....id prefer it actually.

MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by KickStartMyLife View Post
    the thinking behind this is this

I am way out of shape
    I want to meet my goal of 13% BF by october 5 (this is a VERY important target date for me)

My weight is 180-185 on any given day. My BF% is roughly 23% (scale has very odd fluctuation, from 21 to 24 so lets say Im at 23%, which look inline with some of the images Ive seen of people in my height, weight class)

My reasoning for why high fat, not so high protein is due to the fear that with lack of carbs in my diet, protein will be converted into glucose and that may inhibit my fat burning and ability to be in ketosis (Ive read that 50g of net carbs or lower a day will get me into ketosis).

Basically, Im going to put myself into a position where I am loosing the most amount of fat. Unless what Ive read is wrong. Im certainly open to any and all experiences from others, thats is why I am here. Hopefully someone can help with the above Ive mentioned.

As for feeling like crap on a diet with low carbs and medium protein (which may cause lathargy), Im okay with it. Its only when my carb intake gets lower than that is when lethargy is at its strongest (so to speak). I wish I could last on a true keto diet but 20-30g net carbs isnt enough.

Im here for reasons of enlightenment. If there is something I am doing wrong, for the goals I have, please let me have it. I dont mind brutal honest....id prefer it actually.
    I think you may be overcomplicating things a little bit. I think that the fact that you have a goal of Oct. 5th to look the best you can is fine, but saying 13% is just not necessary. What happens if you get to Oct. 5th and lets say you get to 15%? Will you quit? Will you go on vacation or whatever you are doing then come back and gain the weight?

You have given yourself a little over 3 months. To get from 23% to 13% is a good amount of work. In 3 months you can make a very nice dent but no need to set a % goal.

If you calculate your TDEE and eat at a moderate deficit while targeting your macros and lifting on a proven program you will be surprised on how much you can change your body composition. At the same time while logging on your foods you will learn how to eat without limiting yourself to a boring diet or forcing yourself to eat things that are "healthy". Then when October 5th passes you can continue to do your logging and lifting and it will all be second nature to you. Stop worrying about going into ketosis and fat burning ability. Fat will oxidize but so quickly. You are not this person that needs to lose tons and tons of weight so just take it easy man.

If you have already decided to go on a low carb diet then that's your decision and it's cool, I can only tell you what has worked for me.

June 28: Did cardio for 30 minutes on treadmill (stats show 1.75 miles with calories lost @ 298. Used Gold Gyms Treadmill and was on weightloss 4 option)
    Macros are (+/- of 3%):
    74G Fat
    71.4G Carbs
    137.55G Protein

June 29: No workouts. Just a normal day
    Macros are (+/- of 3%):
    48.25G Fat
    84.93G Carbs
    152.25G Protein

June 30: Did Chest, Triceps, Shoulder @ 1 set each (as a beginners workout)
    Macros are (+/- of 3%):
    54.76G Fat
    78.39G Carbs
    148.21G Protein

Todays Day isnt over. Will upload final stats when done. I might to some jogging later tonight

nearly ruined the diet completely the past three days. I drive by white castle, mcdonalds and wendys everyday and am always heavily tempted to get some food from there. So far, I have resisted the urge.
    Last edited by KickStartMyLife; 07-01-2013 at 05:00 PM.

Why so few calories?

Originally Posted by MrM27 View Post
    Why so few calories?
    so far, my body has handled the low cal diet without any issues. Im eating more carbs than I like (which includes breads) but so far no issues on the low cal diet. Like I said earlier, I plan to go a bit extreme for a while and see how my body handles it. Its still early but the lack of calories hasnt hindered my workout so far (although the workouts have been on the lite side). When I begin to workout a bit more heavily, my macros will increase as needed. Im thinking of going on this type of low cal diet for a month and see what the results are when done (Ill check my results every ten days as well, just to be on the safe side). I'll adjust if the results show that a change is needed.

Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Is there a reason you want to get into ketosis? I tried both a true keto diet (65/30/5) AND a high protein (200g+ a day), medium fat, low carb diet and I had better results with the high protein diet.

You will lose fat with any diet as long as you're in a calorie deficit. There is no need to be in ketosis.

I figured ketosis would be quite difficult for me to get into (cant eat bread, and must be below 50g carbs) so I am thinking of sticking with a carb limit of no higher than 85g on WO days and 70 max on non WO days. I came up with these numbers based on how I feel and trying to live on below 50g carbs wasnt possible; found myself craving bread before bed on the very first day of my diet.

At the very least, Im doing my best to keep my calories below 1500/day (even on lite workout days). Im only on day 4 so hopefully I can keep this up.

also, as for body fat %, I used a calculator to measure it and it came out to 29%.

5ft 9" 182lbs 40" waist and based on that, it came to 29%. Which means my 23% statement was incorrect and it makes it even more difficult now to reach my goal but I wont quit.

My BMR comes out to 1639 CALORIES/DAY for Maintenance
    My TDEE with little or no exercise (not sure how different that is from BMR) comes out to 1966 CALORIES/DAY for Maintenance

Lets say my goal is to reach 2lbs of fat loss/week, what should my daily caloric intake be? Should it be 1000 calories/day below BMR or TDEE with little or no exercise?

LightsOut06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightsOut06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightsOut06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightsOut06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightsOut06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightsOut06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightsOut06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightsOut06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightsOut06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightsOut06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightsOut06 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Unless you absolutely hate carbs, why make your life miserable with a low carb diet when you can get the same results with a more balanced diet?

pre diabetic and also have a history of diabetes in the family. Same goes for high cholesterol (mine are slightly elevated) and also an odd fluctuation in blood pressure; 90/60 at times and 140/95 at other times. We have a long extensive history of bad everything and since Im already pre diabetic, I try to keep my carbs at a limit. Not just for optimal fat burning but so that blood sugar remains steady at low-normal levels.

I figured ketosis would be quite difficult for me to get into (cant eat bread, and must be below 50g carbs) so I am thinking of sticking with a carb limit of no higher than 85g on WO days and 70 max on non WO days. I came up with these numbers based on how I feel and trying to live on below 50g carbs wasnt possible; found myself craving bread before bed on the very first day of my diet.

At the very least, Im doing my best to keep my calories below 1500/day (even on lite workout days). Im only on day 4 so hopefully I can keep this up.

also, as for body fat %, I used a calculator to measure it and it came out to 29%.

5ft 9" 182lbs 40" waist and based on that, it came to 29%. Which means my 23% statement was incorrect and it makes it even more difficult now to reach my goal but I wont quit.

My BMR comes out to 1639 CALORIES/DAY for Maintenance
    My TDEE with little or no exercise (not sure how different that is from BMR) comes out to 1966 CALORIES/DAY for Maintenance

Lets say my goal is to reach 2lbs of fat loss/week, what should my daily caloric intake be? Should it be 1000 calories/day below BMR or TDEE with little or no exercise?
    You calculated your BMR at 1639 but then set your activity sedentary and calculated your TDEE to be 1966 but yet in your original post you stated you were going to be training 7 days a week with no days off. What gives?

You are not in a position where you should be losing 2lbs per week.

Honest question, have you read the stickys???

BrentEvo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BrentEvo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BrentEvo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BrentEvo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BrentEvo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BrentEvo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BrentEvo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BrentEvo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BrentEvo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BrentEvo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BrentEvo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Thumbs down

Would this be a good macro for me

110G fat
    50G Carb
    110G Protein
    should get me anywhere between 400-500 kcal below BMR.
    Is this a joke? Strong troll thread detected.

And nobody cares what you eat. Macros are the money shot.

Protein too low, carbs too low, fat too high.

You will be starving!
    Portlandbrent C@youtube.com for my workout routines! Copy and paste link if not clickable:)

My girlfriend lifts more than you do:)

Seems like the longer I train the luckier I get.

Cardio sucks.

GH15 approved

My original plan was to workout 7 days a week. That was unrealistic. So far, in 4 days since I started my diet, Ive worked out 3 of the 4 (with today being the 4th day). My goal is to workout all 7 days so that I can get quicker results but so far, the exercise part of this has been a little difficult to keep up with.

How do I get into a position to lose 2lbs per week? 1lb/week is more realistic but what would it take to lose an extra .5lb or even an extra 1lb? If 2lbs are out of the question, then how about 1.5 lbs per week?

I used Katch-McCardle to calculate the BMR and the TDEE with little to no exercise.

*facepalm*

Forget it.

Workout for the 4th Day:

Cardio, same as before. 30min, 1.75miles, 298 calories lost (again, not sure how accurate this is)

will work on back, traps, biceps on day 5.

This really has to be a troll. If not, go read the stickys. Your nutrition plan sucks and you're obviously not looking for advice just so sort of validation. You lifting routine sucks also. Go into the stickys and pick a proven barbell program and go with it.

Good luck. Peace.

Im using this as my Log. If my diet and workout program dont prove worthy, then I will change it. I already made some changes by upping my carbs, lowering my fat and upping my protein. Consider it trolling all you want but up until now, nothing Ive said is trolling. This is my Log and I will continue to update it, whether you want to read it or not is your prerogative. Ive done nothing wrong. Ive asked for some advice and with that advice, Ive changed some of my plans (as stated above).

This is how I plan to begin. I will make any needed changes as I go along. I will be back tomorrow with some updates.

yesterday macros:

53G Fats
    61G Carbs
    153G Protein

So far, no adverse side effect to the low cal, low carb diet. Will see how my body starts to look like after a month on this diet. Ive never kept up any diet this long before (granted its only been 5 days, going on 6 days)

Also, hit the treadmill for 30 minutes on wight loss number 4 (category treadmill gives me)

todays workout will be: back, traps and biceps. I will stick to the 1 set per routine. Tomorrow I will hit the legs with 1 set as well. Ill also do light cardio (before the leg workouts just to loosen up).

When I begin my second week of weight training, I will increase my sets to two.

I continue to fight off the urges to binge on fast food and hope to keep winning the battle until I hit the one month mark. I'll cheat then with something small as a reward, and for just one meal. Id rather stay away from the 1 single cheat meal/week as I am training my mind to get used to the idea of home cooked (healthy) meals.

Got into a car accident and totaled my car. wasnt able to get any exercise done and my diet wasnt good in any way.

before leaving home, here were my totals

15G fat
    17G carbs
    44G Protein

and I added a Beefy Crunch Burrito w/o the rice to my meal 10 hours later (went 10 straight hours without eating/drinking anything after the accident)

going to have another rest day today to rest my injuries and hope that tomorrow I can begin my workout.

My diet for today will be the same as it was prior to yesterday, roughly same macros and total calories.

Woke up with pain in knee and sore calf (which is odd since I dont recall injuring my calf.) and wasnt able to get in a jog. Still sore today and its a little painful to walk.

In any case, my diet yesterday (thursday) was crap again (calories were waaaaaaaaaay too low, due in part to sleeping for most of the day)

Macros:

22.5G Fat
    38.5G carbs
    61G Protein

whats a little scary is how my brain isnt telling me its starving, despite the last two days being under 1000 calories. Maybe my brain is getting used to a low calorie diet? The food commercials arent even tempting me anymore to go out and scarf down 2000 calories of junk. So in a way, that might be considered progress?

In any case, I can probably attribute the soreness to not just the accident but lack of calories to help replenish. Im going to go on a higher carb/protein intake today; maybe 90g carbs and closer to 180g protein. As for weight training, I didnt lift yesterday either but will do so today.

Not sure what I did wrong but here goes

Before starting my workout, I had 16G of fat, 36g of carbs and 58g of protein as well as 10oz of powerade zero.

I waited an hour before working out. After that hour of rest after eating, I got up to warm up. After the warmup, I began my workout.

I started with deadlifts and its been a very long time since Ive done them and after one set, I realized I worked out my legs more than my lower back. I watched the scivation (sp?) video and this time did them right as I felt it working my back. In any case, immediately after finishing my set, I put the weight down and took one step and both hamstrings started to cramp up and I knew that if I took another step, I would do more than strain them. So I immediately dropped to the ground and stood still. I finally had enough to walk without straining the hamstrings and guzzled down 20oz of powerade zero and 11oz of eas advantedge shake.

my question here is, when can I resume my workout? Its been half an hour. Hopefully someone can chime in here. I know I should wait until the cramps in the hammys completely subside but how long does that take? I already lost a couple days of workouts and dont want to miss another, unless I have to.

rndeleon1988 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Not sure what I did wrong but here goes

Before starting my workout, I had 16G of fat, 36g of carbs and 58g of protein as well as 10oz of powerade zero.

I waited an hour before working out. After that hour of rest after eating, I got up to warm up. After the warmup, I began my workout.

I started with deadlifts and its been a very long time since Ive done them and after one set, I realized I worked out my legs more than my lower back. I watched the scivation (sp?) video and this time did them right as I felt it working my back. In any case, immediately after finishing my set, I put the weight down and took one step and both hamstrings started to cramp up and I knew that if I took another step, I would do more than strain them. So I immediately dropped to the ground and stood still. I finally had enough to walk without straining the hamstrings and guzzled down 20oz of powerade zero and 11oz of eas advantedge shake.

my question here is, when can I resume my workout? Its been half an hour. Hopefully someone can chime in here. I know I should wait until the cramps in the hammys completely subside but how long does that take? I already lost a couple days of workouts and dont want to miss another, unless I have to.
    Take the pain!!!!!! >/

cramp went away but there is still weakness; limiting me to walking only (basically only minimal torque to hammy movements)

I was able to finish my workout but rushed it a bit.

did my lower back, traps and biceps.

having another EAS shake after workout now to help recover. So far, it looks like my Macros will be high. Hoping to still remain in a nice size deficit.

Originally Posted by rndeleon1988 View Post
    Take the pain!!!!!! >/
    I hope your kidding cause continuing to exercise while both hammys are cramping is about as dumb a thing to do as jogging on a recently sprained knee (doing so could cause your knee to bucle under stress and have you tear (one of or two of) the acl/lcl/mcl in the process)

BTW, high tolerance for pain. Nearly severed my finger off a few months ago; tendon and nerve laceration as well. Requires surgery to repair, which I havent gotten yet as I dont have insurance. Also, Didnt scream once. In fact, I was quite calm throughout

pain isnt the issue here. Its fear of straining and the fact that I didnt want to lose any more time as I already lost two straight days of workout.

in any case, I got my workout in. All I have now is muscle weakness which wasnt an issues since the rest of my workout were sitting down and used little (or none) of my leg muscles.