Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    AlexTheNewbie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexTheNewbie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexTheNewbie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexTheNewbie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexTheNewbie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexTheNewbie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexTheNewbie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexTheNewbie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexTheNewbie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexTheNewbie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexTheNewbie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

The importance of Hydration - Heads up

What's up brothers

I've always been the person who barely drinks enough during the day. Causes were exhaustion, bad breath as well as weakness and headaches.
    One week ago I started drinking ~4 liters of water a day and I feel so much better! I used to be sleepy and have the above symptoms all the time! It's time to share this simple knowledge.

A special thing I've noticed is me waking up early. Since the last 4 days I've always been waking up at exactly 6:15 AM, feeling great after only a few hours of sleep. It's strange but I'm sure it's related to me drinking more than twice as much than before. Kind of annoying though since I set my alarm to 7:00 AM lol. However it's great not to feel sleepy and worn-out anymore.

For the interested people, here's an article I found a few days ago: http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition...-neglect-water
    The core of the article and it's studies on the benefits of good hydration is solid. However disregard the part where they recommend bottled water over tap water.

Apparently, studies have proven that muscles are ~19% stronger when hydrated compared to a dehydration level of just 3%! The weights today felt much lighter than usual!

Here's an interesting article concerning the correlation muscle strength and hydration.

Full article: http://www.extension.iastate.edu/families/fluids

I highly recommend reading the article above. It's very detailed and accurate.

Here's a list of the changes I could personally experience:

- Bad breath went away (I've always been worried about this one. I could've saved that money for chewing gums if I had known the importance of hydration)
    - Less acne
    - Not sleepy anymore (actually feeling energetic after waking up)
    - No insane hunger all the time
    - More strenght
    - I lost water retention by drinking more water, basically doing the same as lowering the amount of sodium in your body

The only side-effect:

- Having to pee every 30-60 minutes

As for drinking too much, a lot of people are scared because they hear those freak news reports of people dying from people drinking too much water. Yes you can die from drinking too much water, however that would require at least 10 liters within a really small time frame.

So there you have it. Might be general knowledge for most of you but apparently, I didn't realize hydration was so important.
    However I hope it was helpful for the people who disregarded proper hydration so far.

Lift strong brothers!

- Alex
    Last edited by AlexTheNewbie; 06-26-2013 at 01:58 PM.

SebastianMorar is just really nice. (+1000) SebastianMorar is just really nice. (+1000) SebastianMorar is just really nice. (+1000) SebastianMorar is just really nice. (+1000) SebastianMorar is just really nice. (+1000) SebastianMorar is just really nice. (+1000) SebastianMorar is just really nice. (+1000) SebastianMorar is just really nice. (+1000) SebastianMorar is just really nice. (+1000) SebastianMorar is just really nice. (+1000) SebastianMorar is just really nice. (+1000)
    My pee comes out transparent if I drink too much lol

AlexTheNewbie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexTheNewbie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexTheNewbie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexTheNewbie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexTheNewbie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexTheNewbie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexTheNewbie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexTheNewbie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexTheNewbie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexTheNewbie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexTheNewbie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by SebastianMorar View Post
    My pee comes out transparent if I drink too much lol
    Though your pee is actually supposed to be transparent.

If it's yellow, you know your body is actually dehydrated! I suggest you read up on a few articles regarding proper hydration.

Looks like it's not so much general knowledge afterall. Glad this thread turned out to be helpful for someone.

taysthetics has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) taysthetics has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) taysthetics has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) taysthetics has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I'm sick of drinking water :z I go for a piss every half an hour when I'm at home

Originally Posted by taysthetics View Post
    I'm sick of drinking water :z I go for a piss every half an hour when I'm at home
    That's worth all the benefits I stated above.

Especially the strength improvements

A person with 3% dehydration will lift 80Kg instead of 100Kg. Quite a difference now isn't it?

SebastianMorar is just really nice. (+1000) SebastianMorar is just really nice. (+1000) SebastianMorar is just really nice. (+1000) SebastianMorar is just really nice. (+1000) SebastianMorar is just really nice. (+1000) SebastianMorar is just really nice. (+1000) SebastianMorar is just really nice. (+1000) SebastianMorar is just really nice. (+1000) SebastianMorar is just really nice. (+1000) SebastianMorar is just really nice. (+1000) SebastianMorar is just really nice. (+1000)
    [QUOTE=AlexTheNewbie;1093732833]That's worth all the benefits I stated above.

I 1rm 82.5kg, while being "dehydrated" according to you. Would it mean I could lift 100kg as soon as I get hydrated? Lettuce all be realtea here.

ngaah will become famous soon enough. (+50) ngaah will become famous soon enough. (+50) ngaah will become famous soon enough. (+50) ngaah will become famous soon enough. (+50) ngaah will become famous soon enough. (+50) ngaah will become famous soon enough. (+50) ngaah will become famous soon enough. (+50) ngaah will become famous soon enough. (+50) ngaah will become famous soon enough. (+50) ngaah will become famous soon enough. (+50) ngaah will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you don't have enough water in your body then you will retain more water to keep the sodium/water balance. So by drinking more water your body doesn't need to retain it so much. Essentially the same effect as consuming less sodium, well that's the general jist of it anyway

Originally Posted by AlexTheNewbie View Post
    That's worth all the benefits I stated above.

I 1rm 82.5kg, while being "dehydrated" according to you. Would it mean I could lift 100kg as soon as I get hydrated? Lettuce all be realtea here.
    Yes I'm serious. Studies have proven it. Of course it varies from person to person but the average person is 19% stronger when hydrated compared to only 3% dehydration.

I'll google it and post a link as soon as I can.

Originally Posted by ngaah View Post
    If you don't have enough water in your body then you will retain more water to keep the sodium/water balance. So by drinking more water your body doesn't need to retain it so much. Essentially the same effect as consuming less sodium, well that's the general jist of it anyway
    That explains my water retention loss then. That's ****ing great then So what I thought was fat was actually water?

Feelsgoodman

DeBaie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DeBaie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DeBaie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DeBaie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DeBaie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DeBaie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DeBaie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DeBaie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DeBaie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DeBaie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DeBaie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Drink about 4-6 liters at work (over 8 hours) - satisfied.
    ♔ Rep Quality ♔

***Canadian Crew***

ngaah will become famous soon enough. (+50) ngaah will become famous soon enough. (+50) ngaah will become famous soon enough. (+50) ngaah will become famous soon enough. (+50) ngaah will become famous soon enough. (+50) ngaah will become famous soon enough. (+50) ngaah will become famous soon enough. (+50) ngaah will become famous soon enough. (+50) ngaah will become famous soon enough. (+50) ngaah will become famous soon enough. (+50) ngaah will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    That explains my water retention loss then. That's ****ing great then So what I thought was fat was actually water?

Feelsgoodman
    Probably haha!

Yes I'm serious. Studies have proven it. Of course it varies from person to person but the average person is 19% stronger when hydrated compared to only 3% dehydration.

I'll google it and post a link as soon as I can.
    Here you go! This is an excerpt of the article:

I posted the full article in the first post.

Sigzor has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sigzor has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sigzor has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sigzor has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sigzor has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sigzor has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sigzor has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sigzor has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sigzor has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sigzor has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I hate having to piss every 30 mins after drinking that much water, i make sure to get 2-3 litres everyday.

First World Problems.

Szzy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Szzy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Szzy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Szzy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Szzy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Szzy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Szzy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Szzy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Szzy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Szzy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Szzy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Water is essential. Lifting boosts test levels. This dehydrates you apparently so test will be go to waste.

SikhZRO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SikhZRO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SikhZRO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SikhZRO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SikhZRO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SikhZRO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SikhZRO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SikhZRO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SikhZRO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SikhZRO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SikhZRO is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I drink alot of water but probably not 4 litres maybe 2-3. What should we be aiming to drink even on rest days etc?
    Φ United Misc Frat Φ

Originally Posted by SikhZRO View Post
    I drink alot of water but probably not 4 litres maybe 2-3. What should we be aiming to drink even on rest days etc?
    According to the study, it takes 24-36 hours to fully recover muscular strength and endurance after dehydration
    Therefore, you should always stay fully hydrated. Even on rest days.

Now, here’s what most of you do. You are dehydrated all day long and then you show up with your gallon jug of water at the gym and start sipping, this does no good at all.
    The time to start hydrating is ~6 hours before your workout btw.

SikhZRO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SikhZRO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SikhZRO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SikhZRO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SikhZRO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SikhZRO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SikhZRO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SikhZRO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SikhZRO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SikhZRO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SikhZRO is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    According to the study, it takes 24-36 hours to fully recover muscular strength and endurance after dehydration
    Therefore, you should always stay fully hydrated. Even on rest days.

Now, here’s what most of you do. You are dehydrated all day long and then you show up with your gallon jug of water at the gym and start sipping, this does no good at all.
    The time to start hydrating is ~6 hours before your workout btw.
    Normally I'll wake up and knock back like 500ml, then i'll have about 500ml with lunch, then few hours after, then 500ml. Then for dinner I'll have 250ml and another 250ml hour later. So in total around 2 litres. I need to drink more srs........ Wasn't there something that you shouldn't drink water before sleeping or something as it causes bloating or some chit??
    Φ United Misc Frat Φ

Originally Posted by SikhZRO View Post
    Normally I'll wake up and knock back like 500ml, then i'll have about 500ml with lunch, then few hours after, then 500ml. Then for dinner I'll have 250ml and another 250ml hour later. So in total around 2 litres. I need to drink more srs........ Wasn't there something that you shouldn't drink water before sleeping or something as it causes bloating or some chit??
    Yeah I was drinking ~1.5l a day before discovering how bad dehydration actually is.

As far as I know you should distribute your water intake throughout the whole day. There's no time when you shouldn't drink it.
    Water won't bloat you up.

You probably read that you shouldn't drink anything before going to sleep since you will wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and mess up your sleep.

What you should take into consideration:

- As a rule of thumb, don't drink anything 1-2 hours before going to bed to make sure your sleep won't be affected.

- Your body usually loses a lot of water during the night. You should hydrate yourself again right after waking up with around 0.5l of water.

I'm not trying to prove you wrong or anything, I believe in science, obviously, just not all of it. But I wouldn't bench 100kg this week if I'd drink 10liter water everyday. Not even 90kg. Lets be serious lol. Props to you for actually doing research though.

Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The loss of water retention has nothing to do with the amount of water you drank. Something must've changed in your diet, drop of cals, less gluten/carbs etc
    ~Jesus Christ Is My Savior Crew~

The land at the end of our toes goes on and on,
    The sand at the core of our bones continues on

Hey I just met you. And this is crazy. But today is chest day. So spot me maybe?

Art thou prone to such insurmountable force upon thou biceps?

Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000)
    thanks for reminding me to fill my bottle up OP

I'm not trying to prove you wrong or anything, I believe in science, obviously, just not all of it. But I wouldn't bench 100kg this week if I'd drink 10liter water everyday. Not even 90kg. Lets be serious lol. Props to you for actually doing research though.
    Well I strongly believe in statistics. It's been scientifically proven so even if you don't believe it, at least try it before doubting.

If you want to test it out for yourself (although I wouldn't), drink 1 liter only for the next 2-3 days, then do a bench.
    After dehydrating yourself to a good extent (dry mouth etc.) hydrate yourself properly with 5 liters for the next 2-3 days and bench again.

The average person will experience a 20% strength gain, why would you not?

I know it sounds unbelievable but it's been proven a long time ago.

Originally Posted by Tb0282 View Post
    The loss of water retention has nothing to do with the amount of water you drank. Something must've changed in your diet, drop of cals, less gluten/carbs etc
    Okay well like I mentioned I also feel a lot less hungry because there's always water in my stomach. I probably ate less than usual in that case. I can't track my macros since I neither cook for myself, nor eat at home in the afternoon. I really feel like I've lost some belly though.
    Originally Posted by Meadey View Post
    thanks for reminding me to fill my bottle up OP
    No problem quadzilla.
    Glad I could help.

Yeah I was drinking ~1.5l a day before discovering how bad dehydration actually is.

As far as I know you should distribute your water intake throughout the whole day. There's no time when you shouldn't drink it.
    Water won't bloat you up.

You probably read that you shouldn't drink anything before going to sleep since you will wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and mess up your sleep.

What you should take into consideration:

- As a rule of thumb, don't drink anything 1-2 hours before going to bed to make sure your sleep won't be affected.

- Your body usually loses a lot of water during the night. You should hydrate yourself again right after waking up with around 0.5l of water.
    Ahh maybe that what I was mistaking it with. Ima try hit 2-3L a day and see the difference brah
    Φ United Misc Frat Φ

Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Drinking a liter of water by itself won't drastically improve strength, many studies are very flawed for various reasons. But a liter of water coupled with creatine could POTENTIALLY improve strength, not a guaranteed as it not effective for everyone.
    ~Jesus Christ Is My Savior Crew~

The land at the end of our toes goes on and on,
    The sand at the core of our bones continues on

Hey I just met you. And this is crazy. But today is chest day. So spot me maybe?

Art thou prone to such insurmountable force upon thou biceps?

Originally Posted by Tb0282 View Post
    Drinking a liter of water by itself won't drastically improve strength, many studies are very flawed for various reasons. But a liter of water coupled with creatine could POTENTIALLY improve strength, not a guaranteed as it not effective for everyone.
    Well I couldn't find a single flaw in that study.. For what reasons could it be? And the topic has been around for ages. By now enough research has been made to prove how important water is.
    Of course most of us won't see the 20% strength increase because you're already decently hydrated. You might see a 5% increase.

So yeah.. might not help you get 20% stronger if you're not working out dehydrated but it will still improve your physical capabilities.
    Therefore the advice I posted should still be considered important

TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000) TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000) TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000) TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000) TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000) TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000) TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000) TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000) TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000) TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000) TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000)
    Well I couldn't find a single flaw in that study.. For what reasons could it be? And the topic has been around for ages. By now enough research has been made to prove how important water is.
    Of course most of us won't see the 20% strength increase because you're already decently hydrated. You might see a 5% increase.

So yeah.. might not help you get 20% stronger if you're not working out dehydrated but it will still improve your physical capabilities.
    Therefore the advice I posted should still be considered important
    lol benefits are exaggerated link to said study.

very biased article, promotes water bottles over tap water, has links to a company that sells water in bottles.

brb plastic bottles contain man made chemicals that contaminate the water in said bottles with a chemical that mimics the oestrogen hormone, which has detrimental effects to both genders.

link me the study OP

btw you have like 13 reps and 750 posts, you read one article done by a website that isn't very reputable, i can't seem to find a study backing up claims, article is promoting another water company, you read like 5 paragraphs on a main stream website with lots of bro science, and now you are an expert who contributes lots.

Originally Posted by TygaTyga View Post
    lol benefits are exaggerated link to said study.

very biased article, promotes water bottles over tap water, has links to a company that sells water in bottles.

brb plastic bottles contain man made chemicals that contaminate the water in said bottles with a chemical that mimics the oestrogen hormone, which has detrimental effects to both genders.

link me the study OP

btw you have like 13 reps and 750 posts, you read one article done by a website that isn't very reputable, i can't seem to find a study backing up claims, article is promoting another water company, you read like 5 paragraphs on a main stream website with lots of bro science, and now you are an expert who contributes lots.
    The first article must be the one you're talking about. However I never recommended bottled water in my post. That's just the bottom part of an article I shortly linked for the interested people.

The study concerns the second article. I suggest you read that one.
    Also, what's wrong with helping people?

Staying hydrated is one of the most important things when doing sports and many people disregard this aspect.

TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000) TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000) TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000) TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000) TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000) TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000) TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000) TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000) TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000) TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000) TygaTyga is just really nice. (+1000)
    The first article must be the one you're talking about. However I never recommended bottled water in my post. That's just the bottom part of an article I shortly linked for the interested people.

The study concerns the second article. I suggest you read that one.
    Also, what's wrong with helping people?

Staying hydrated is one of the most important things when doing sports and many people disregard this aspect.
    no im not saying helping people is bad, im just curious how you only have 13 reps with 790 posts it doesn't seem like you contribute a whole lot to the community.

second the first benefit it basically says water is the reason why the cells in our muscle get oxygen and glucose? wtf, im sure glucose and water is carried via blood plasma, and red blood cells carry oxygen via it's haemoglobin hence why carbon monoxide is deadly since it doesn't detatch from the haemoglobin.

second no cell can uptake glucose with out Insulin. yet it continues to speel bull chit like oh water gives our cells glucose? wtf who wrote that chit.

second they don't conduct any study then go through an analysis. they basically just say chit like: oh from studies we can see this this this... and doesn't even provide any link to said experiment they conducted which can give a coherent argument using experiments and logic to dictate a conclusion. secondly they give you a link to the gatorade website. this article was probably paid for and sponsored by gatorade....

the second link is just as bad as the first.

edit: i apologize for coming off aggressive i understand you are trying to help. but i just get a bit exasperated when people think they found the magical answer to strength and conditioning and increasing gains man. and it just doesn't seem like you are super legit with a very weak rep to post ratio.

also watch the documentary "the disappearing male" it shows you the effect of many man made hormones or chemicals that mimic hormones that are contained in everyday plastics and packaging which contaminate things we consume and how it is detrimental and causing lower sperm counts / irregular sperm. ADHD autisim breast cancer etc

BTW i never said being hydrated isn't good im just saying they are exaggerating a lot. do you really think the average neckbeard who sits on his ass needs to consume like 5L a day? or do you really think the average lifter is really dehydrated? i highly doubt it. not to mention they have other reasons for writing these articles as you can see they keep giving links to water companies and providing flawed information. its the basic consumerism propaganda they try and trick the average person into buying into
    Last edited by TygaTyga; 06-26-2013 at 11:45 AM.

oscarodw is on a distinguished road. (+10) oscarodw is on a distinguished road. (+10) oscarodw is on a distinguished road. (+10) oscarodw is on a distinguished road. (+10) oscarodw is on a distinguished road. (+10) oscarodw is on a distinguished road. (+10) oscarodw is on a distinguished road. (+10) oscarodw is on a distinguished road. (+10) oscarodw is on a distinguished road. (+10) oscarodw is on a distinguished road. (+10) oscarodw is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    nice thread , just saw it got stickied !

im gonna start drinking more water defo after reading this