King_Madness is on a distinguished road. (+10) King_Madness is on a distinguished road. (+10) King_Madness is on a distinguished road. (+10) King_Madness is on a distinguished road. (+10) King_Madness is on a distinguished road. (+10) King_Madness is on a distinguished road. (+10) King_Madness is on a distinguished road. (+10) King_Madness is on a distinguished road. (+10) King_Madness is on a distinguished road. (+10) King_Madness is on a distinguished road. (+10) King_Madness is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How do you guys develop your mental willpower and self discipline?

My willpower has been at an all time low for some time now, and I have begun on a journey to find out how I can develop it. From what I have researched, apparently willpower and self discipline are like any other muscle in the body, the more you exercise that stronger it will become. So what I gathered is that one way to develop willpower is to regularly engage in doing things you do not want to do. By strengthening your willpower little by little you make it more available for use later, just like bodybuilding.

Anybody have their own ways that they build their willpower and determination? I need it right now.
    Sig line can't be a novel

mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    IDK why I do what I do man. Let me just share with you a little of what I have been goin through recently.

25 weeks of dieting. Started at 4000 cals and 20 min cardio 3x a week and now I'm on 1900 cals and doing 90-120min cardio a day for 6x a week getting ready for this show and trying to make the weight class

I have literally broken down and cried 11x now because it has been so hard on myself. And sometimes, I ask myself why.

People recognize who I am. I have a huge title as a bodybuilder that I gotta protect
    People see me for how hard I work
    I see myself as my own project. I can make myself into whatever I want to. This is my life. I decide what I want to look like. I do this. This is my thing. This does not depend on others or my intelligence/academics. It's all on myself. It's all on how much motivation and dedication I can put into it.

I still even to this moment, 2 days out from a show, ask myself why. Why am I doing this? I don't know half the time, but I do it anyways. Sets me apart. How many people can do this??? Maybe 1 percent of the whole world. And I'm in that group of people.
    The 2 most important things to me when training are 1. The Muscle Mind Connection. and 2. Intensity

NSCA Certified Trainer
    NPC Competitor
    Utah State Firefighter

New and Improved...daily mstockwe87's Avatar
    mstockwe87 is just really nice. (+1000) mstockwe87 is just really nice. (+1000) mstockwe87 is just really nice. (+1000) mstockwe87 is just really nice. (+1000) mstockwe87 is just really nice. (+1000) mstockwe87 is just really nice. (+1000) mstockwe87 is just really nice. (+1000) mstockwe87 is just really nice. (+1000) mstockwe87 is just really nice. (+1000) mstockwe87 is just really nice. (+1000) mstockwe87 is just really nice. (+1000)
    You have to be self aware. What I mean is that you have to be aware of low points in motivation and then analyze why your motivation has taken a dip. Examples: you feel like you don't want to go to the gym today....why is that? is it bc your energy is low? is it bc work drained you? is it bc you've had a tough day?

It doesnt matter what the answer is. In all likelihood, you ate more, had a better day at work, and had an overall better day than a lot of other human beings on this planet today. The fact that you're posting threads on bb.com forums about exercising your motivational muscle tells me that. It's all about perspective. Your perspective determines your reality. At the end of the day, be thankful you have time to ponder theoretical issues and not existential ones. You're wondering how you can build motivation while people out there are wondering how the fuk they will eat today. You can write that off as bull**** bc its an uncomfortable though, but in reality, that fact should motivate you. Take every second of every minute of every hour of every day seriously. Live with purpose. Because you can. Take off the limiters, and let yourself be 100% of what you can be, bc too many people's lives pass in the moments while we debate why and how we should/could do such a thing.
    320lbs to 183lbs in 9 months? ya damn right I did it.

?Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength."
    -Arnold

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You gauge if your quads got bigger by looking at them and measuring them. I think motivation is similar, recording what you do in some type of log gives you the ability to measure your motivation. This keeps you real, and puts great or terrible days in context.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

Ironwill2008 is surely doing RDL's and eating eggs and bacon somewhere right now.

TLTrooper is a name known to all. (+5000) TLTrooper is a name known to all. (+5000) TLTrooper is a name known to all. (+5000) TLTrooper is a name known to all. (+5000) TLTrooper is a name known to all. (+5000) TLTrooper is a name known to all. (+5000) TLTrooper is a name known to all. (+5000) TLTrooper is a name known to all. (+5000) TLTrooper is a name known to all. (+5000) TLTrooper is a name known to all. (+5000) TLTrooper is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I have this one pretentious friend on FB that always boasts #'s but doesn't look like he lifts. I know a couple people like that so I use them, to maintain focus on form, and as a result, my drive to do it right and make it count, increases every day.

Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Your problem is with your goals not willpower. You sound like you're forcing yourself to do s%%% you hate. Why? If you don't want to lift, don't. Look to your goal not some willpower exercise. If you want a certain job and need to go to college go to college... If you want to be big you need to lift... Focus on the goal. If you want to do it then do it. Don't waste your time doing a bunch of crap in life you really don't want to do as some test. 99.999% of the people on the forums aren't going to contests or winning crap, they like their fitness plan whatever it is... maybe to get in shape, maybe to look hot, maybe for energy/positivity... If it's a struggle to diet and exercise to you and it sucks ass then it's not fun or productive and a waste of time and a source of frustration. People doing fitness stuff LIKE it... if you hate it dump it. Or find a different method -- maybe you hate lifting but would like kettlebells, maybe your decide to stay thin through diet cause you hate exercise... Willpower is all about the goal.
    Calculating nutrition/calories
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981
    Why your designed workout will probably suck/List of good beginner programs (part 5):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=118004321
    Things worth your time to forum search and understand (for new people): CNS fatigue vs muscle fatigue, deloading, refeed, intensity vs volume, going to muscle failure, overreaching, overtraining, chronic fatigue, recovery.

Do I even lift? imperfectdesign's Avatar
    imperfectdesign has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mstockwe87 View Post
    You have to be self aware. What I mean is that you have to be aware of low points in motivation and then analyze why your motivation has taken a dip. Examples: you feel like you don't want to go to the gym today....why is that? is it bc your energy is low? is it bc work drained you? is it bc you've had a tough day?

It doesnt matter what the answer is. In all likelihood, you ate more, had a better day at work, and had an overall better day than a lot of other human beings on this planet today. The fact that you're posting threads on bb.com forums about exercising your motivational muscle tells me that. It's all about perspective. Your perspective determines your reality. At the end of the day, be thankful you have time to ponder theoretical issues and not existential ones. You're wondering how you can build motivation while people out there are wondering how the fuk they will eat today. You can write that off as bull**** bc its an uncomfortable though, but in reality, that fact should motivate you. Take every second of every minute of every hour of every day seriously. Live with purpose. Because you can. Take off the limiters, and let yourself be 100% of what you can be, bc too many people's lives pass in the moments while we debate why and how we should/could do such a thing.
    Repped bro, it helped me too.

PhallicBaldwin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    the first time I ever lost weight in a healthy way, my motivation was not vanity, it was something much deeper. I would run every day to just make sure if I was ever attacked, I could out-run my attacker. I threw in weights to know that if I was ever attacked, I could hit hard. I didn't want to take a fighting class, I just knew I needed to be strong.

so I would say, if your driving force is coming from an internal fear, the will-power and discipline will just follow. i would think you don't need a fear for similar results, but fear is a great motivator.

balllsohard will become famous soon enough. (+50) balllsohard will become famous soon enough. (+50) balllsohard will become famous soon enough. (+50) balllsohard will become famous soon enough. (+50) balllsohard will become famous soon enough. (+50) balllsohard will become famous soon enough. (+50) balllsohard will become famous soon enough. (+50) balllsohard will become famous soon enough. (+50) balllsohard will become famous soon enough. (+50) balllsohard will become famous soon enough. (+50) balllsohard will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Meditation and self-awareness.

Do things you dont have the desire to do but to have the desire to have done.

Location: Fleetwood, Lancashire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    MrGuin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrGuin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrGuin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrGuin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrGuin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrGuin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrGuin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrGuin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrGuin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrGuin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrGuin is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by mstockwe87 View Post
    You have to be self aware. What I mn is that you have to be aware of low points in motivation and then analyze why your motivation has taken a dip. Examples: you feel like you don't want to go to the gym today....why is that? is it bc your energy is low? is it bc work drained you? is it bc you've had a tough day?

That's brill, thanks.

OP: I'm with you on this one... My big thing's comfort eating. Set small, obtainable goals and involve others so you feel accountable... A month ago I told my gf I wouldnt have a cookie til I'm on the plane to our holiday in July, and so far so good. I ****ing love cookies man.

But every small victory is proof to future you that you can stick to your guns

993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great quote on the walls in one of my classrooms at Uni alludes to willpower being exactly the same as a muscle. The more you use it, the stronger it becomes.

Corny quote I know, but it's true! Take it one step at a time and like MrGuin above me says, every small victory really does count. Today was the start of my fifth consecutive week of working out 2-3 times a week, the first time I've managed that in about two years. It sounds like absolutely nothing to most people, but to me it's proof that it's not so hard after all! Just keep going!

kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Once I started seeing results I was hooked

Fridge6Pack is not very well liked. (-100) Fridge6Pack is not very well liked. (-100) Fridge6Pack is not very well liked. (-100) Fridge6Pack is not very well liked. (-100) Fridge6Pack is not very well liked. (-100) Fridge6Pack is not very well liked. (-100) Fridge6Pack is not very well liked. (-100) Fridge6Pack is not very well liked. (-100) Fridge6Pack is not very well liked. (-100) Fridge6Pack is not very well liked. (-100) Fridge6Pack is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by King_Madness View Post
    My willpower has been at an all time low for some time now, and I have begun on a journey to find out how I can develop it. From what I have researched, apparently willpower and self discipline are like any other muscle in the body, the more you exercise that stronger it will become. So what I gathered is that one way to develop willpower is to regularly engage in doing things you do not want to do. By strengthening your willpower little by little you make it more available for use later, just like bodybuilding.

Anybody have their own ways that they build their willpower and determination? I need it right now.

CT Fletcher is a guy I admire and he routinely talks about the "power of belief" and "tapping in to your adrenalin resources etc" ...I see this in the gym all the time. Let say I am working out and I am banging out 12 reps by myself on incline dumbbell press and I hit failure at the 12th rep (or so I think I have anyway) but it's not really true failure (even though I actually fail) if that makes sense.

If I have a spotter or someone I really look up too comes along and and he's like "nahhhh man, two more, I want two more", nine times out of ten i'm gonna end up getting two more.

So much of this stuff is psychological like that! You can do alot more than you think you can. Its the whole "fight of flight" response thing that's built into all of us, its just that some people have developed the mental "switch" to tap into more than others.

I know it sounds like BS but I totally believe in that. Also the who visualization aspect of it. Try to visualize something until you end of doing it. It's weird for me to explain but hope you get it.

CerebralBB is on a distinguished road. (+10) CerebralBB is on a distinguished road. (+10) CerebralBB is on a distinguished road. (+10) CerebralBB is on a distinguished road. (+10) CerebralBB is on a distinguished road. (+10) CerebralBB is on a distinguished road. (+10) CerebralBB is on a distinguished road. (+10) CerebralBB is on a distinguished road. (+10) CerebralBB is on a distinguished road. (+10) CerebralBB is on a distinguished road. (+10) CerebralBB is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I think/visualize about what I want, and I internalize the idea that the only way to get it is by not being a bitch and doing what needs to be done.

hatman007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've lost 44 pounds so far and I'm in the leanest I've ever been my whole life. At first just the little things kept me going.
    Knowing I was over weight and I had tried everything the wrong way to lose, I had to keep going. I knew over time results would show.
    Now I'm at the point I'm at, I have a morning routine to help me focus for the day.
    I get up and take a min or two and flex in the mirror. Tell myself to stay on track, cause here are the results and they don't get better unless I stick to the plan.
    Kinda self absorbed sounding but it seems to help. I helps to center my eating habits for the day. Cause believe me with the travel I do and the 16 hour days,
    those dang cookies look tasty.

GinoD94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GinoD94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GinoD94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GinoD94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GinoD94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GinoD94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GinoD94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GinoD94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GinoD94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GinoD94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GinoD94 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Set your self a goal, dont set any time limit just stick to it. Take each day as it comes.

MikeMadden96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MikeMadden96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MikeMadden96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MikeMadden96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MikeMadden96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MikeMadden96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MikeMadden96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MikeMadden96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MikeMadden96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MikeMadden96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MikeMadden96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    because nothing feels better than getting to your ultimate goal. Once you get there, not a damn thing can take it away. Work towards what you want even if you're so far away.
    No advertising in sig line

Best lifts at <180lbs bodyweight
    425x5 deadlift
    265x11 squat
    250x5 bench
    135x15 standing military press
    BW+135lb dips x5

brownscot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brownscot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brownscot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brownscot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brownscot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brownscot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brownscot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brownscot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brownscot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You only realize how strong you are when have no choice but to be strong.

There are several types of commitment. There's the 'agreement' commitment made between yourself and others, the 'interest' commitment made either by yourself to yourself or to others. Then there's the "I REFUSE TO TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER" commitment that you make to yourself and have a zero tolerance policy about. If you want it bad enough, it will happen.

Serving in the military, getting used to and sometimes even enjoying eating **** gave me a bit of perspective on what is possible and what isn't. What I can do and the fact that there's nothing I can't do.

It's partly true that in order to build willpower you have to do things you don't want to do. It's also true that once you've experienced the satisfaction of achieving a goal, it'll motivate you to set and achieve a new goal.

When you're sitting around it's easier to talk yourself out of doing something, but when you get up and go do it, you feel much better afterwards because you did it. I personally just stop thinking. I made a commitment to myself and that's the end of it. I don't want to get up and workout? Tough sh**. I do it anyway. If I can't fulfill a commitment to myself then what can I do? Sometimes I'll even ask myself that question out loud if I'm so thoroughly unmotivated.
    "Can't" is a word that weak, lazy and ignorant people use to justify their being so.

Registered User courtneycristen's Avatar
    courtneycristen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    what do you guys do when youre doing cardio and get extremely exhausted. How do you keep going

CerebralBB is on a distinguished road. (+10) CerebralBB is on a distinguished road. (+10) CerebralBB is on a distinguished road. (+10) CerebralBB is on a distinguished road. (+10) CerebralBB is on a distinguished road. (+10) CerebralBB is on a distinguished road. (+10) CerebralBB is on a distinguished road. (+10) CerebralBB is on a distinguished road. (+10) CerebralBB is on a distinguished road. (+10) CerebralBB is on a distinguished road. (+10) CerebralBB is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by courtneycristen View Post
    what do you guys do when youre doing cardio and get extremely exhausted. How do you keep going
    I do HIIT. It makes steady state cardio a breeze. It's about 3-4 minutes of actual work, but if done correctly, will have amazing results.

kennacop706 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by CerebralBB View Post
    I do HIIT. It makes steady state cardio a breeze. It's about 3-4 minutes of actual work, but if done correctly, will have amazing results.
    For me, with the HIIT, ill walk at 3 for a few, then run at 6 for a min, drop back to 3 and when my heart rate levels back out, I up it again for another minute. Every time I up speed, I increase it past the previous. Ill do that until I finish up with 9mph sprint, then cool down some. Works for me, I always feel spent at the end, and only takes roughly 20-25 minutes. And I don't do major cardio on lift days. It's just the system I've worked out for me and my family time.

saechizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10) saechizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10) saechizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10) saechizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10) saechizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10) saechizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10) saechizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10) saechizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10) saechizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10) saechizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10) saechizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    My teacher taught me that disciprine come from with in.

Registered Sex Offender barrylol's Avatar
    barrylol is not very well liked. (-100) barrylol is not very well liked. (-100) barrylol is not very well liked. (-100) barrylol is not very well liked. (-100) barrylol is not very well liked. (-100) barrylol is not very well liked. (-100) barrylol is not very well liked. (-100) barrylol is not very well liked. (-100) barrylol is not very well liked. (-100) barrylol is not very well liked. (-100) barrylol is not very well liked. (-100)
    Everytime you go to the gym and kill it, on a day that you don't feel like going, you get more better and more disciplined.

PrismBrainMap is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Developing will power

If you want to develop the The will power then you should try mental exercises.Mental exercises can develops your strong will power.

M2PK will become famous soon enough. (+50) M2PK will become famous soon enough. (+50) M2PK will become famous soon enough. (+50) M2PK will become famous soon enough. (+50) M2PK will become famous soon enough. (+50) M2PK will become famous soon enough. (+50) M2PK will become famous soon enough. (+50) M2PK will become famous soon enough. (+50) M2PK will become famous soon enough. (+50) M2PK will become famous soon enough. (+50) M2PK will become famous soon enough. (+50)

It all starts with making a small habit like making your bed in the morning. no joke