uast23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

ON 100% Gold Standard Whey is giving stomach pain - help me understand the problem

Hi Guys, I have small tubs of double rich chocolate and caramel toffee fudge Optimum Nutrition 100% whey. I got it from a retailer listed on ON's site, so I am assuming that it's authentic. I have tried taking it in various forms - with milk, with water, with greek yogurt but it always gives me severe stomach pains. I know that whey can cause side effects such has bloating, indigestion to lactose intolerant people, but I am not lactose intolerant. I can easily drink milk and eat any milk based product. I have never had problem with dairy. The only thing which has always caused me problems is eggs. I am allergic to egg. I cannot stand egg in any form. It gives me severe stomach pain. As far as I know, whey protein doesn't have any egg protein in it. So what could be the problem, and what else should I try?

The 100% ON Gold whey also contains casein, so I am guessing the either casein or whey is causing the problem and I can probably try them individually. What other protein could be best for someone allergic to egg?

optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) optimus1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Try switching to another brand - preferably an isolate or even better a hydrolyzed whey. By even better I do not mean absorbability but rather digestibility. I have used ON occasionally but the last tub I got of C&C really upset my stomach. Two whey products that I've found are very easy on the GI are Genuine Health's Protein-Plus, as well as Power Crunch Proto Whey. I believe part of the problem with ON's wheys is that they have more casein and whey protein concentrate than other brands. I have no specific evidence of this, but the digestive symptoms I get from their whey is very similar to what I get from cheap concentrates.
    **Eat lots and lots of birds. The smaller the bird, the more compact its protein content. Parrots are great sources for protein.**

uast23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by optimus1 View Post
    Try switching to another brand - preferably an isolate or even better a hydrolyzed whey. By even better I do not mean absorbability but rather digestibility. I have used ON occasionally but the last tub I got of C&C really upset my stomach. Two whey products that I've found are very easy on the GI are Genuine Health's Protein-Plus, as well as Power Crunch Proto Whey. I believe part of the problem with ON's wheys is that they have more casein and whey protein concentrate than other brands. I have no specific evidence of this, but the digestive symptoms I get from their whey is very similar to what I get from cheap concentrates.
    Thanks. I am actually thinking about switching to whey isolate, may be I will start with a smaller tub. If I was really allergic to whey, the milk products would be upsetting my stomach too, right! but I can chug milk without any effects. May be it's casein? I didn't think that changing the brand would be worth a try because a whey is a whey, but from what you are suggesting, I think I will go with some other brand of whey isolate instead of ON. Do you have any specific suggestion for isolate?

llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by optimus1 View Post
    Try switching to another brand - preferably an isolate or even better a hydrolyzed whey. .
    A great option for an isolate is Nitro Tech. The Cnc flavor is delicious.

djkode has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I'm having the exact same issue!

I normally use unflavoured whey concentrate 80 (just the raw ingredient), with no flavour or additives (yes it tastes pretty bad but does the job and doesn't contain a bunch of other chemicals). Never had a problem.

I have been travelling and ran out of my usual whey so bought the ON 100% gold standard whey (vanilla ice cream) as it was cheaper than the other brands the store had. I have been using it for 2 weeks 1-3 times a day and whenever I take it I get mild stomach pain / discomfort, regardless of whether I use milk or water. I suspect it is one of the other 5 or so ingredients that I don't recognise in there. I won't buy it again.

Also it doesn't look like it has casein. Ingredients are: protein blend (whey isolate, whey concentrate, whey peptides), natural and artificial flavour, lecithin, cellulose gum, xanthan gum, salt, sucralose, acesulfame potassium, lactase.

Manowar11 is a name known to all. (+5000) Manowar11 is a name known to all. (+5000) Manowar11 is a name known to all. (+5000) Manowar11 is a name known to all. (+5000) Manowar11 is a name known to all. (+5000) Manowar11 is a name known to all. (+5000) Manowar11 is a name known to all. (+5000) Manowar11 is a name known to all. (+5000) Manowar11 is a name known to all. (+5000) Manowar11 is a name known to all. (+5000) Manowar11 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Get a 100% isolate protein. Regular whey screws with a lot of people, even if they seem otherwise ok with lactose.
    ***AARP crew***
    ***Lt. Com of the imperial order 66 army crew***