bizzysgs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How to accurately track calories burned on stationary bike ?

I just bought a cheap stationary bike today and I want to use it to increase my daily energy expenditure so I can eat more.But to do this I need some kind of accuracy so I can know how much more I can eat in a specific day.On the bike's computer I can see my heart rate,distance,speed and finally calories burned.But the calories displayed can't be accurate because no matter what level of resistance I set or how fast I pedal ,it displays the same number of calories.I have 8 levels of resistance.Is there any website that allows me to calculate the calories burned based on a combination of heart rate,speed,resistance,etc ? Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by bizzysgs; 06-05-2013 at 11:33 AM.

lilcheese will become famous soon enough. (+50) lilcheese will become famous soon enough. (+50) lilcheese will become famous soon enough. (+50) lilcheese will become famous soon enough. (+50) lilcheese will become famous soon enough. (+50) lilcheese will become famous soon enough. (+50) lilcheese will become famous soon enough. (+50) lilcheese will become famous soon enough. (+50) lilcheese will become famous soon enough. (+50) lilcheese will become famous soon enough. (+50) lilcheese will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by bizzysgs View Post
    I just bought a cheap stationary bike today and I want to lose it to increase my daily energy expenditure so I can eat more.But to do this I need tome kind of accuracy so I can know how much more I can eat in a specific day.On the bike's computer I can see my heart rate,distance,speed and finally calories burned.But the calories displayed can't be accurate because no matter what level of resistance I set or how fast I pedal ,it displays the same number of calories.I have 8 levels of resistance.Is there any website that allows me to calculate the calories burned based on a combination of heart rate,speed,resistance,etc ? Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Try www.myfitnesspal.com or www.livestrong.com

Both are used for calorie tracking and have different activities you can add (activity calculators) however these are only guessing, it is not to say they are extremely accurate. I would check a couple and if they give you different results try to pick one in the middle...Good luck.

Murder Beats Not People recreateme's Avatar
    recreateme is just really nice. (+1000) recreateme is just really nice. (+1000) recreateme is just really nice. (+1000) recreateme is just really nice. (+1000) recreateme is just really nice. (+1000) recreateme is just really nice. (+1000) recreateme is just really nice. (+1000) recreateme is just really nice. (+1000) recreateme is just really nice. (+1000) recreateme is just really nice. (+1000) recreateme is just really nice. (+1000)
    If the bike is tracking your heart rate then its applying an algorithm based on heart rate, not level of resistance. Monitoring your HR is probably the most accurate way of tracking cals burned you are gonna find. Use that, and keep your hands on the metal to keep it tracking.

Any app you download will never be as accurate as a algorithm based on your personal stats and heart rate. The only other thing you can do is buy a dedicated HR monitor and wear it the entire time your working out, or better yet, all day to see what you burn each day on average.

Originally Posted by recreateme View Post
    If the bike is tracking your heart rate then its applying an algorithm based on heart rate, not level of resistance. Monitoring your HR is probably the most accurate way of tracking cals burned you are gonna find. Use that, and keep your hands on the metal to keep it tracking.

Any app you download will never be as accurate as a algorithm based on your personal stats and heart rate. The only other thing you can do is buy a dedicated HR monitor and wear it the entire time your working out, or better yet, all day to see what you burn each day on average.
    Can you link a website that will give me this algorithm ? I want to mention just in case ,the bike doesn;t use any kind of customized algorithm.The only accurate stats it can give me are distance,speed and heart rate.It doesn't calculate calories based on my stats,weight,heart rate.

Originally Posted by lilcheese View Post

Both are used for calorie tracking and have different activities you can add (activity calculators) however these are only guessing, it is not to say they are extremely accurate. I would check a couple and if they give you different results try to pick one in the middle...Good luck.
    Thanks,I know these websites but for example myfitness pal lets me choose the duration of the exercise and the intensity.How do I know if my workout is considered light,moderate,or intense ??
    Last edited by bizzysgs; 06-05-2013 at 02:01 PM.

???

71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000)
    Assuming you did your TDEE calculations, you shouldn't need to track workouts....
    On the road to 1250

Train consistently, move iron with purpose, eat well, sleep well and achieve.

Murder Beats Not People recreateme's Avatar
    recreateme is just really nice. (+1000) recreateme is just really nice. (+1000) recreateme is just really nice. (+1000) recreateme is just really nice. (+1000) recreateme is just really nice. (+1000) recreateme is just really nice. (+1000) recreateme is just really nice. (+1000) recreateme is just really nice. (+1000) recreateme is just really nice. (+1000) recreateme is just really nice. (+1000) recreateme is just really nice. (+1000)
    Can you link a website that will give me this algorithm ? I want to mention just in case ,the bike doesn;t use any kind of customized algorithm.The only accurate stats it can give me are distance,speed and heart rate.It doesn't calculate calories based on my stats,weight,heart rate.
    I don;t know it off hand. I read it when i bought my Garmin HR monitor that it would use a certain algorithm if it had my HR rate, if not it would default to some other method probably using average charts or something... ill post if i find it.. try google though.

Leankev84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leankev84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leankev84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leankev84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leankev84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leankev84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leankev84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leankev84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leankev84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leankev84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leankev84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Does the bike count the same calories if your hands are not on the pads and when they are? I find my bike very inaccurate compared to myfitnesspal if you put in spinning for 20 mins it comes out at 171 cals but my bike would read like 336 (126bpm constant)

Leankev84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leankev84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leankev84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leankev84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leankev84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leankev84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leankev84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leankev84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leankev84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leankev84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leankev84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Originally Posted by Leankev84 View Post
    Does the bike count the same calories if your hands are not on the pads and when they are? I find my bike very inaccurate compared to myfitnesspal if you put in spinning for 20 mins it comes out at 171 cals but my bike would read like 336 (126bpm constant)
    It's a cheap piece of ****.It doesn't matter what my heart rate is or how fast I'm going.It always shows the same calories even if my hands are not on the pads.160 calories in 25 minutes.

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I want to use it to increase my daily energy expenditure so I can eat more.But to do this I need some kind of accuracy so I can know how much more I can eat in a specific day.
    I know it's not your question, but I'd highly recommend against that. Eating back exercise calories introduces two sources of bias and error, meaning you will almost certainly overestimate calories burned AND underestimate calories eaten, eroding your actual deficit from both ends.

A better approach is to do whatever cardio you are comfortable with, eat whatever you're comfortable with, and accept the difference as fat loss.

Originally Posted by dmacdonal9 View Post
    I know it's not your question, but I'd highly recommend against that. Eating back exercise calories introduces two sources of bias and error, meaning you will almost certainly overestimate calories burned AND underestimate calories eaten, eroding your actual deficit from both ends.

A better approach is to do whatever cardio you are comfortable with, eat whatever you're comfortable with, and accept the difference as fat loss.
    I want to do it while bulking too.I clean bulk so I have a specific amount of weight which I want to gain every month.If I underestimate the calories I burn while exercising I might not gain enough weight.If I overestimate it I might gain too much weight.There has to be a solution.How do people who prep for a contest do it? They must have some kind of strategy.

BTW I never underestimate calories eaten if I count them.I'm very anal about it LOL.

mscici has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

I want to do it while bulking too.I clean bulk so I have a specific amount of weight which I want to gain every month.If I underestimate the calories I burn while exercising I might not gain enough weight.If I overestimate it I might gain too much weight.There has to be a solution.How do people who prep for a contest do it? They must have some kind of strategy.

BTW I never underestimate calories eaten if I count them.I'm very anal about it LOL.
    Surprisingly enough, many sorts of exercise use up about the same number of calories. Whether you pedal a bike, jog, or perform aerobics, all burn about the same amount of calories. It depends largely on the effort level but the calories burned are much the same for many forms of workouts.

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

I don't think you're getting my point. I'm saying that you need to measure actual TDEE from a combination of calories eaten and the resulting change in weight. You don't need to estimate exercise calories, you can figure it out from the results.

If you eat 2500 per day on average and lose a pound a week on average, your TDEE is 3000.

When bulking, figure out your anticipated max lean gains per week, and consider the rest fat. Do the same math. It's a little trickier on a bulk, but still better than trying to count exercise calories. Calories burned for most activities have an enormous variance from one individual to another.

umopp is a name known to all. (+5000) umopp is a name known to all. (+5000) umopp is a name known to all. (+5000) umopp is a name known to all. (+5000) umopp is a name known to all. (+5000) umopp is a name known to all. (+5000) umopp is a name known to all. (+5000) umopp is a name known to all. (+5000) umopp is a name known to all. (+5000) umopp is a name known to all. (+5000) umopp is a name known to all. (+5000)
    This is what I use.

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-ex...alculator.aspx

Using your bike, find out what your average heart rate is. Then using the website, estimate your vo2 max (if you can actually get this measured it would be better). Lastly, plug in all of your stats and use that number to figure out how much you burned. It has always worked for me.
    *Official San Diego Brah Crew*
    *In Love With Taylor Swift Crew*
    *Rugby Crew*

Bench: 345
    Squat: 500
    Deadlift: 585

Originally Posted by umopp View Post
    This is what I use.

Using your bike, find out what your average heart rate is. Then using the website, estimate your vo2 max (if you can actually get this measured it would be better). Lastly, plug in all of your stats and use that number to figure out how much you burned. It has always worked for me.
    Thanks ! this was very helpful.I think this is what I'm doing from now on.