Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by phozosado View Post
    Holy ****, how have YOU been?
    Yo Yo! I've been ok...bouncing back from some fairly serious health issues. Everything besides my health is great, Marriage, school, work etc....

How have YOU been?
    Originally Posted by necon76 View Post
    I need to clone your hormonas to make gains.
    I don't have hormonas lol, my test levels sans TRT is 132 while using DAA
    www.xccellence.com

FKK.....We don't play

Getting big: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136802401

- Alan Aragon www.alanaragon.com

phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by MarkVI View Post
    Yo Yo! I've been ok...bouncing back from some fairly serious health issues. Everything besides my health is great, Marriage, school, work etc....
    Yeah, I got your PM a while back. Important things seem to be in order though! And bouncing back is f'kin A right.

Me? Same old, same old. Making skull rings. Boxing. Hey, I met the Dalai Lama a few weeks ago.
    ---
    This Machine Kills Fascists.
    ---
    BULKING LOG : http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=137967093&pagenumber=
    ---
    BTK - Bleed Time Krew
    ---
    "He runs, an activity that we defeated eons ago when humans discovered we are slower than every other animal on earth and can ride horses" - joelash302

MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by phozosado View Post
    Yeah, I got your PM a while back. Important things seem to be in order though! And bouncing back is f'kin A right.

Me? Same old, same old. Making skull rings. Boxing. Hey, I met the Dalai Lama a few weeks ago.
    The Dalai Lama?? Was he buying a skull ring?
    www.xccellence.com

FKK.....We don't play

Getting big: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136802401

- Alan Aragon www.alanaragon.com

dukend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dukend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dukend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dukend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dukend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dukend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dukend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dukend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dukend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dukend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dukend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Okay I'll kiss.

What's a skull ring?
    see my penis log here:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147914253&p=944065703#post944065703

Bangs girls, kisses guys crew
    Nicholson Nods Crew

Plateaud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Plateaud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Plateaud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Plateaud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Plateaud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Plateaud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Plateaud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Plateaud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Plateaud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Plateaud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Plateaud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by rand18m View Post
    Op! Interesting thread, well it started out that way!

When you get 50+ posts come back with the images or links etc, pretty interesting what nutrition strategies where used by what was one of the worlds top athletes!

The rest of the noise since your first post is simply that, too bad considering the potential this thread had!

Op deserves reps!! The rest not so much!
    Thanks man. I did have some more stuff on Bob Fitzsimmons's recommended training regimem, but judging by the scene I've caused...

Maybe I'll just re-post in Nutrition Misc.
    "Do, don't stew." ~Jack LaLanne

Registered User SubWooferCooker's Avatar
    SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Interesting topic after reading the original post i was really looking forwards to reading the next 3 pages until i realized the next 3 pages were about people arguing over totally unrelated stuff.

Location: Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Makween is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Interesting topic, or it was to start out with at least. Speaking as someone who's involved in combat sports (or used to be, at least. I still train), anyone who thinks that there are a lot of broscientists in bodybuilding nowadays has seen nothing yet.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=152860011 - My log. It has a ****gy name, but don't hold that against it.

I don't rep back.

Plateaud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Plateaud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Plateaud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Plateaud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Plateaud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Plateaud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Plateaud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Plateaud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Plateaud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Plateaud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Plateaud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Post Back on topic:

It seems like the thread is (very slightly) back on track, so I'm going to add some further thoughts on training from Bob Fitzsimmons:

A British émigré to New Zealand who worked for many years as a blacksmith and farrier before turning to pugilism, "Ruby" Robert notched a few bouts under the old London Prize Ring rules in the early days of his career, learning much of his body-punching style from the bareknuckle greats, like Jem Mace.

He was world middleweight champion by 1891, and world heavyweight champion by 1896. When he won the newly created light heavyweight belt in 1903, he became boxing's first three division title-holder! Never weighing more than about 167 lbs (!), Ring Magazine still considers him the sport's 8th most powerful puncher of all time.

The training regime described below is from the 1913 book Boxing and How to Train, published by Fox's Police Gazette.

[I've got a link to a free download of this book, but I can't put it here with my low post count!]

“If I were preparing a man for an important battle,” said Bob Fitzsimmons, “on first taking charge of my man I would give him an emetic, which would cleanse his system from his stomach up, and a physic to cleanse him from the stomach down.

“The next morning after giving the emetic I would have my physic ready and give it to my man as soon as he rose, and I would take care to get him out of bed at sunrise every morning all through his training. Now, of course, there are many physics which could be given, but most of them are in the extreme, and I would recommend all trainers to try the following, which I have found the best in my experience. It is made by mixing four ounces Epsom salts, two ounces of senna and twelve ounces of Spanish licorice. Place the whole in six pints of water and, keeping the cover on, boil until the licorice is dissolved.

Then remove the pot from the fire and place it in water to cool. When cold bottle the mixture up tight. This should be given to your principal as follows : A small wineglassful every morning before dressing, for the first week ; half a wineglassful every morning for the second week ; take the same dose three times the third week, and on the fourth take only one dose on Sunday morning. This medicine will not weaken a man in the least, but will cleanse his system thoroughly.

The next thing I would look out for would be the man’s hands (I am supposing that I am training a man for a fight). Pugilists, as a rule, have considerable trouble with their hands, as they are often liable to get broken badly in a contest, or if a blow is not landed in the way it is intended a bad sprain is often the result. Some trainers use a sort of pickling solution with which they pickle the hands, face and neck, in order that a blow will not cut the skin so readily. If my man had a very tender skin I might use something to toughen and harden his face, but as a rule I don’t think that pickling the face and neck does any good. My own skin is very tender, indeed, but I never tried to toughen my face by pickling, preferring to use pure alcohol, which in a measure answers the same purpose, and is at the same time very refreshing.

To the hands, however, too much attention cannot be paid, and I have found nothing better than corned beef brine. This does not smell very nice, it is true, and should be applied three times a day after eating. I would never allow my man to apply it before eating, as it might affect his stomach, which would be bad. But, although the brine does not smell anywhere near as good as Florida water, it does the business, and that is all that is required.

After the brine is applied and well rubbed in, the following liniment should also be rubbed in. It can be obtained at any first class drug store, and the ingredients are as follows ; Laudanum, three ounces ; spirits of hartshorn, four ounces ; alcohol. one quart ; iodine, two ounces ; eucalyptic, three ounces. These mixed up together with ten cents worth of horseradish and five cents worth of alum, make a liniment which cannot be equalled for strengthening and hardening the bone, and when applied and well rubbed in it has a tendency to make a man feel fresh and strong.

A picture of Bob was to go here.

“I should always start my man on his daily exercise at sunrise. Rising from his bed, he should bathe and carefully brush his teeth, after which I would give him an egg well beaten up in a small quantity of sherry ; this more to stay his stomach and strengthen him until breakfast time than anything else.

“Then I should take him for a short walk, say of about a mile, returning for breakfast, which should be on the table the moment we got back.

“The breakfast for my man would consist of dry toast, boiled or fried eggs (and if the latter all fat should be carefully drained off from them), and weak tea, without milk or sugar, would complete the repast. I would then sit down with him and either read the daily papers to him or allow him to read them himself until 9 a. m., when we should start out on the road for a spin. The reading of the papers would give both of us something to think and talk about while on the road, and thereby relieve the monotony.

For this spin on the road my man shonld wear heavy sweaters or light ones, whichever I thought best to use, heavy if the weather was cool and light if the day was warm. As to the distance, I would change that a little every day, going perhaps ten miles (five miles and five back). But I would take good care not to tire my man out too much with his morning spin, as too much running is as bad as not enough. Most of the running would be done on the homestretch. so that a good perspiration might be gotten up.

Getting back to the training quarters, I would sit my man down in a warm room out of all draughts, so that he would perspire freely, and at this time I should give him his beef tea to drink. Now, there is only one right way to make beef tea for athletes in training, and that is as follows: Two of Mason’s preserve jars should be used, being careful to get them with very tight fitting covers. Then every evening five pounds of round steak should be bought. Cut all the fat off and then cut up the remainder in small bits, say about an inch square. Place half in each jar, never putting in any water, screw the covers on tightly and place one of the jars in a large kettle filled with cold water. This kettle should be placed over a good fire and allowed to boil for five or six hours, Then, when your man comes in in the morning, take the jar and strain the contents through muslin giving him the liquid to drink while it is yet warm. Then put on the second jar, and when your man gets through his work in the afternoon give him that to drink.

“If the day was warm when we got in from our morning spin I should place my man under a shower bath for about fifteen seconds while he is still warm and perspiring, but if the weather was cold I would just wipe him off dry with a Turkish towel, and then, putting on my hand rubbers, get up a good friction. After this I would rub him thoroughly all over with alcohol, putting plenty of it on and rubbing up and down until the skin began to get dry. Repeating this I would rub until the skin got smooth and perfectly dry all over. After this I would give his body, legs and arms a good dry hand rub, taking care to rub with the run of the muscles and pulling them out like a massage doctor.

“By this time dinner would be ready and my man would get a good meal of roast beef or mutton, or perhaps beefsteak with dry toast, some calvesfoot jelly, very little vegetables of some sort, peas preferred, winding up with some fruit for dessert, as I would not allow him puddings or pies. I would give him a little ice cream with every meal, but would take care that he got no liquor, beer or ale, as I don’t think those things are any good for a man in training, only serving to make his thirst worse in the long run.

If he wanted a drink a little weak tea would be good, or, if he could drink it, a cup of hot water. In order to keep the fever from his stomach I would steep a pound of slippery elm bark in hot water, and when he was thirsty give him a little of that. My man could have a broiled chicken about three times a week, and I would try to make him eat a saucer of stewed California prunes every night for his supper. I should consider that milk made as hot as possible without boiling would be good for him to drink after coming in from a spin or at any other time when he felt tired. I would not allow him in female society during the last four weeks of his training, and I would neither allow him to smoke nor chew tobacco, and would not allow others to smoke in the apartments in which my man was sitting or sleeping. These latter would injure his wind and that is one of the worst things which could happen to him.

“But I left off with the work at dinner time and am digressing. After resting a short while to digest his dinner, I would set my man to work swinging clubs, using dumbbells and perhaps skipping the rope, as this latter exercise is very good for strengthening the legs and has a tendency to make a man quick, both with his feet and hands. After this he should punch the ball and spar with me for at least an hour, when he would be given his second drink of beef tea and then rest until supper time. The supper should be light, consisting, perhaps of dry bread or toast, weak tea, cold beef or mutton and stewed prunes and an apple or orange. I would do my best to find a cook who knew his or her business, and all of the food should be made to look as inviting as possible, without putting too much salt, pepper, spices, grease or butter on it.

“As for bed time, my man should retire at eight o’clock sharp, so as to give him plenty of time for sleep. His bedroom should be well aired and situated on the sunny side of the house, where the first ray of the sun would strike in the morning.”
    Fitzsimmons's home-made, laudanum-infused (!) linament recipe is particularly interesting, I think, being described by amateur boxing historian Kirk Lawson as a kind of occidental Dit Da Jow.

"Beef tea" sounds like quite the all-natural protein shake, too.
    Last edited by Plateaud; 06-06-2013 at 06:38 AM.

rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Plateaud View Post
    It seems like the thread is (very slightly) back on track, so I'm going to add some further thoughts on training from Bob Fitzsimmons:

A British émigré to New Zealand who worked for many years as a blacksmith and farrier before turning to pugilism, "Ruby" Robert notched a few bouts under the old London Prize Ring rules in the early days of his career, learning much of his body-punching style from the bareknuckle greats, like Jem Mace.

He was world middleweight champion by 1891, and world heavyweight champion by 1896. When he won the newly created light heavyweight belt in 1903, he became boxing's first three division title-holder! Never weighing more than about 167 lbs (!), Ring Magazine still considers him the sport's 8th most powerful puncher of all time.

The training regime described below is from the 1913 book Boxing and How to Train, published by Fox's Police Gazette.

[I've got a link to a free download of this book, but I can't put it here with my low post count!]

A picture of Bob was to go here.

Fitzsimmons's home-made, laudanum-infused (!) linament recipe is particularly interesting, I think, being described by amateur boxing historian Kirk Lawson as a kind of occidental Dit Da Jow.

"Beef tea" sounds like quite the all-natural protein shake, too.
    That's hilarious!! Hell he would make a good pseudo trainer in today's times! Just think if he had access to all these magical supplements we have today!

Originally Posted by rand18m View Post
    That's hilarious!! Hell he would make a good pseudo trainer in today's times! Just think if he had access to all these magical supplements we have today!
    His treatise on "the musclebound man" would go down extremely well here too, I'm sure.

magx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) magx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) magx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) magx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) magx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) magx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) magx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) magx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) magx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) magx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) magx has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Laudanum?

That's hilarious.
    The Thoughtful Gamers Blog: magx01.blogspot.ca
    Game Character Interview-Mario: http://magx01.blogspot.ca/2010/01/game-character-interview-mario.html

You won't find that in the local pharmacy these days, that's for sure!