TubbyTrainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Squat Clean into Overhead Press/Jerk

I am having trouble transitioning from the racked clean position into the jerk portion! To clean the weight I use the fingertip method allowing me to rest the bar on the deltoids. However, with the fingers bent so far back I am unable to get a proper grip to start the overhead lift. Is there a method used to rewrap your hand around the bar? Or is it a matter of becoming flexible enough to maintain the overhead pressing grip during the racked portion?

Uzumati is just really nice. (+1000) Uzumati is just really nice. (+1000) Uzumati is just really nice. (+1000) Uzumati is just really nice. (+1000) Uzumati is just really nice. (+1000) Uzumati is just really nice. (+1000) Uzumati is just really nice. (+1000) Uzumati is just really nice. (+1000) Uzumati is just really nice. (+1000) Uzumati is just really nice. (+1000) Uzumati is just really nice. (+1000)
    I've learned that you need to learn to make your body more flexible it took me a while to get it but I practiced by doing jerks of rack. But when I clean I usually just fix my grip but I wrap all of my fingers around the bar. Just to be safe
    PR's
    Snatch - 232
    C&J - 275
    Bench - 275x1
    Squat - 415x1
    DL - 425x1
    OHP - 180x1
    FS- 325x1

Unit1994 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Unit1994 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Unit1994 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Unit1994 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Unit1994 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Unit1994 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Unit1994 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Unit1994 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Unit1994 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Unit1994 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Unit1994 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    As your standing up from the clean pop the bar off your shoulders a couple of inches and slide your hands under the bar abit more, loads of oly lifters do it, have a look on YouTube.
    Squat: 617
    Bench: 418
    Deadlift: 794
    Military press: 330x2
    Log press: 374
    Snatch: 275
    Clean and Jerk: 374
    21 YO 271lbs

JosephMacQuade will become famous soon enough. (+50) JosephMacQuade will become famous soon enough. (+50) JosephMacQuade will become famous soon enough. (+50) JosephMacQuade will become famous soon enough. (+50) JosephMacQuade will become famous soon enough. (+50) JosephMacQuade will become famous soon enough. (+50) JosephMacQuade will become famous soon enough. (+50) JosephMacQuade will become famous soon enough. (+50) JosephMacQuade will become famous soon enough. (+50) JosephMacQuade will become famous soon enough. (+50) JosephMacQuade will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by TubbyTrainer View Post
    I am having trouble transitioning from the racked clean position into the jerk portion! To clean the weight I use the fingertip method allowing me to rest the bar on the deltoids. However, with the fingers bent so far back I am unable to get a proper grip to start the overhead lift. Is there a method used to rewrap your hand around the bar? Or is it a matter of becoming flexible enough to maintain the overhead pressing grip during the racked portion?
    Flexibility is key! try and work the movement with just the bar, start with the clean, go as deep as possible really strengthen the recruitment patterns. Working with just the bar and the top of the clean your fore arms with begin to lengthen. Also try yoga, just try and increase the flexibility. Another point, at the bottom of the clean, when the bar is set in the fingertip/deltoid position just before you more upwards begin to drive your hips forward this will allow you to bring the weight back onto the center of your arms, this thrust forward allows your center of gravity to be nearer the base of support allowing you to move under there more, transfer more power and the also allow the bar to be loaded directly on your forearm.