Sheikhoz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sheikhoz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sheikhoz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sheikhoz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sheikhoz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sheikhoz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

UMax dumbbells equivalent?

Hey Everyone,

I am looking into buying 2 pairs of dumbbells to use at home, at the gym that I workout at they have UMax Polyurethane dumbbells which I feel like have a good grip . Now these are for commercial use, but where can I buy dumbbells that have the same/similar kind of grip for home use. The GP Series 2 dumbbells look similar but then again I think they are for commerical use and I won't be able to purchase 2 pairs from the company. Based on the info on the forums I came across the GTech Fitness website but it seems like they only carry Troy Dumbbells for pairs and they carry GP only as sets. Can you guys please recommend some brands that can be purchased for home use and apart from GTech any websites/retailers that you would recommend?

Thanks

jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Sheikhoz View Post
    Hey Everyone,

I am looking into buying 2 pairs of dumbbells to use at home, at the gym that I workout at they have UMax Polyurethane dumbbells which I feel like have a good grip . Now these are for commercial use, but where can I buy dumbbells that have the same/similar kind of grip for home use. The GP Series 2 dumbbells look similar but then again I think they are for commerical use and I won't be able to purchase 2 pairs from the company. Based on the info on the forums I came across the GTech Fitness website but it seems like they only carry Troy Dumbbells for pairs and they carry GP only as sets. Can you guys please recommend some brands that can be purchased for home use and apart from GTech any websites/retailers that you would recommend?

Thanks
    For home use, there's a lot to be said about adjustable dumbbells - while expensive, by far the most recommended adjustable set on this forum is probably the ironmasters. They take a bit of time to change from weight to weight, but they have the potential to go quite heavy with add-on kits, and they're quite well made. Plus they have a shape that gives you the traditional DB feel, unlike the lead competitor the power blocks.

As for non-adjustables... I think the main difference you're going to find from one brand to another is the length of the bell, and the thickness of the shaft. What is "best" in those circumstances is going to be highly personal, so I would recommend you just look around and do your best to try out different brands. There's probably not much to worry about in terms of breakage with Dumbbells that are for personal use, so long as you're not throwing them across the room or doing snatches and dropping them from overhead.

Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you care about handle feel that much, yea you may have to shop around. Normal cheap chrome spinlocks probably won't satisfy you.

There are http://www.ivankobarbell.com/products/sdhu/ should feel nicer.
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #24 -!!!---!!!-

deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Hey Everyone,

I am looking into buying 2 pairs of dumbbells to use at home, at the gym that I workout at they have UMax Polyurethane dumbbells which I feel like have a good grip . Now these are for commercial use, but where can I buy dumbbells that have the same/similar kind of grip for home use.
    I know what you mean about the UMAX grips as I have that set in my home gym and they feel perfect in my hands. You can order direct from UMAX. Use the inquiry section of their website for a price quote from Steve. I upgraded to the USA made stainless steel handles. UMAX are some of the least expensive dbs among the major urethane dumbbell manufacturers. Awesome product for sure!

http://www.umaxproducts.com/app/index.asp

Here is some equipment pron for you animals.

Attached Images
    Last edited by deadwoodgregg; 05-19-2013 at 12:40 AM.
    []---[] Equipment crew member #51 []---[]

cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    UMax are awesome. The only thing that is close that I have tried are the GPI urethane dumbbells, but they are about the same price.

dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000)
    if I were to go with spinlocks, these would be my choice. Hampton SGH-14T and SGH-16T (the 16 inch version). very high quality feel, lock up nice, and very comfortable handle.

"ive made the most impressive gains when i spent months with the heavy dumbbells and left the power rack cowering in the corner like the b**ch that it is"-anonymous

"sometimes when a mans alone, thats all you got is your dog"

"he fakes to the left. no. he fakes to the right. he doesnt fake. he thinks about faking. he pretends to fake. i dont know where i am. i cant breathe"

morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hey Everyone,

Thanks
    GPI, Intek, Iron Grip, and Ivanko make similar dumbbells.

Did Umax say they wouldn't sell two pairs or is that an assumption? You can pick and choose pairs on their web form (link below):

http://www.umaxproducts.com/app/stx....tail.asp?did=3

Quality dumbbells like those will be pretty expensive to buy new... and freight shipping will be expensive and will drive up the price per pound a lot if you are only buying 2 pairs of dumbbells. You might keep your eye out for used commercial equipment on CL.

I think two pairs of dumbbells will be of very limited use and would recommend either a full set of fixed dumbbells or a set of adjustables but YMMV.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #32 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #43 ()---() ▉---▉ Equipment Crew #50 ▉---▉

Sheikhoz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sheikhoz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sheikhoz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sheikhoz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sheikhoz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sheikhoz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Damn Deadwoodgregg that's a really nice setup,

Thanks for the responses everyone, it's good to know that I am not the only one who prefers their grips. I sent them an email but didn't get a response although I'll give their inquiry form a shot. Does anyone know the difference between their UMax dumbbells and their USD dumbbells? It's just an assumption that they wouldn't sell a few pairs but I'll give it a shot nonetheless. I am keeping an eye out on craigslist as well.

deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Does anyone know the difference between their UMax dumbbells and their USD dumbbells? It's just an assumption that they wouldn't sell a few pairs but I'll give it a shot nonetheless.
    I think that the USD dumbbells come standard with custom engraving and the USA made stainless steel handles. The UMAX dumbbells come without the custom engraving, but with the stainless steel handles option. Umax uses two different grades of urethane (CPU and TPU). CPU is better. It would be interesting to know which companies only use the lesser TPU urethane.

I think that UMAX would sell a single dumbbell if you just wanted one. Pretty sure that there isn't a minimum purchase quantity.

This listing is about a thirty minute drive from my location.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GPI-URETHANE...item2c6f1497ac
    Last edited by deadwoodgregg; 05-19-2013 at 02:02 PM.
    []---[] Equipment crew member #51 []---[]

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    IF you are getting dumbbells for home use you are eventually going to need a full set. Even a curl monkey needs more than couple of pairs as running the rack often becomes very tempting for them.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17