Closed Thread

Thread: Hip dysplasia

slim_grady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Hip dysplasia

Hi, so I was born with hip dysplasia and have had some surgery on my hips in the past. I have been lifting around 2 years consistently now.

Overall, weight training and keeping fit has helped with my pain, it has been amazing, I do sometimes get pain in my hips after my workouts and know although I love pushing myself and progressing that I need to be careful to prolong my joints. So some exercises I've decided I need to stop, I've been trying to do my own research around which exercises are maybe not as good for my hips, and I'm going to try and keep a record of which workouts I have more pain afterwards so I can try and workout which exercises are causing me the most pain. I think step ups are one because of the impact coming down, so I think I will need to stop these, any recommendations for similar low impact versions?

I am also worried about my squats as I did stop back squats for a while because I thought that it may be causing me pain and was doing lighter db front squats. But have recently reintroduced them with light weight. I guess I worry that I want to keep progressing and build my glutes more but am worried I may not be able to because I can't go really heavy. So am really asking for advice from anyone in a similar situation or with more knowledge who may be able to suggest some other alternatives to squats? I am also doing hip thrusts/glute bridges with about 45-50kg at the moment as I am worried about increasing.

My consultant has said do not do any high impact exercise and that strength training is fine but I need to listen to my body which is what I am trying to do. I guess I don't have enough knowledge of what exercises put the most strain on the hips and which exercises I could do instead. For cardio I've been doing a bit on the elliptical, but plan to get some battle ropes to use at home, so any cardio circuit suggestions that are low impact would also be great as I am also struggling with this. Sorry this post is so long
    "Pain is temporary, quitting is forever"

Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I would focus more on isolation exercises, e.g. quadruped hip extensions, bird dogs, cable kick backs, leg curls, leg extensions and go for medium to high reps on them 10-20 reps/set

You can build some strength with these, and over time, I would carefully add in more compound work.
    You can't help the hopeless.

Fat Girl Gets Fit: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168690083&page=1

Best Gym lifts: 375/225/445
    Best Meet lifts: 358/220.7/441,
    Best Wilks=415 (Old Wilks)
    Best Dots=429.01

slim_grady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Partyrocking View Post
    I would focus more on isolation exercises, e.g. quadruped hip extensions, bird dogs, cable kick backs, leg curls, leg extensions and go for medium to high reps on them 10-20 reps/set

You can build some strength with these, and over time, I would carefully add in more compound work.
    Thank you partyrocking that reply is really helpful and I will definitely add those in to my routine and replace some of the ones that may be causing some pain.
    "Pain is temporary, quitting is forever"

diddles1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) diddles1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) diddles1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) diddles1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) diddles1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) diddles1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) diddles1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) diddles1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) diddles1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) diddles1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) diddles1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi, I'm in a similar boat. I have a prosthetic femur after bone cancer which has dislocated around 18 times. I also want to build my glutes but the risk of going too heavy is too great.
    I've recently been able to squat with the Smith machine, with a plate under my foot. I had a lot of muscle removed so hamstrings and glutes are hard for me to go heavy on. My maximimum hip thrusts is only 35kg.
    I wish I could help you- all I can say is I feel your pain! Keep going and you should be proud of what you're achieving. Take care, Amanda

MichelleKorff is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi there

I also have hip dysplasia and ny doctor told me to stop with strength training on my lower body... I joined a weight loss challenge 3 months ago and lost 9.5kg. I've joined another challenge but now I have no idea how to train for fat loss? I don't have a gym memberships so I train at home in my elliptical and use dumbbells.

Can anyone help me with a program for fat loss and strength training that will help me to still reach my weight loss and fitness goals? I still need to lose 10kg.

I'm quite distraught about the fact that I was told to stop the weight training.

Any help and advice will be appreciated.

Michelle

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by MichelleKorff View Post
    Hi there

I also have hip dysplasia and ny doctor told me to stop with strength training on my lower body... I joined a weight loss challenge 3 months ago and lost 9.5kg. I've joined another challenge but now I have no idea how to train for fat loss? I don't have a gym memberships so I train at home in my elliptical and use dumbbells.

Can anyone help me with a program for fat loss and strength training that will help me to still reach my weight loss and fitness goals? I still need to lose 10kg.

I'm quite distraught about the fact that I was told to stop the weight training.

Any help and advice will be appreciated.

Michelle
    Random advice on an internet forum doesn't supersede your physician's orders concerning exercise. Discuss with him/her exactly what you're allowed to do.

Good luck.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733