Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    dankup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dankup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dankup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dankup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dankup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dankup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dankup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dankup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dankup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dankup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dankup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

After A Lot Of Research - What and How Much Should I Be Eating?

I've spent the last few months bulking but have stopped recording my foods and going to the gym for the last month and am getting back into the regimen Monday. During the time however, I decided to educate myself as to WHY we bulk, cut, and why we eat what we do. So I've read all I can read and memorized all I can memorize. I've spent the last couple weeks on Wikipedia reading and mastering the art of nutrition. I started with an overall read of the digestive system before actually reading about foods, macronutrients, micronutrients, vitamins, minerals, etc to understand how the body functions before I understand what I should be eating. I've finished that and have now finished understanding the majority of why we eat and what we eat, how it relates to our health and well being, and how exercise incorporates into that too. While I haven't become a bio major in 2 weeks, I feel I've greatly improved on my knowledge. So yes, I am proud of myself and can't wait to start eating even more right than I already was.

My main concern is this, however. How do I apply what I know into actual meals? How much should I be getting of what? I understand there are many general guidelines that are made and approved my the gov't but I also understand that's for the average American - a lazy, car driving, office sitting, tv watching dude who doesn't know how to spell the word gym, let alone go TO the gym Ok maybe I over exaggerated but the guidelines aren't for everyone. I want to not only look good through my muscle building over the summer but feel good and be active. This means not only looking at my macros but taking into account vitamins and minerals, and reducing the risk for heart and stroke problems, immune deficiencies, bone and skin conditions, etc. I want this summer to change me forever, and hopefully for my friends and family to follow suit.

I'm not looking for a meal plan, but for ingredients based on their nutritional values. Since I don't know how much of what I need, I don't know how much of which ingredients to include into my meals. How much should I be getting of what?

Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by dankup View Post
    I've spent the last few months bulking but have stopped recording my foods and going to the gym for the last month and am getting back into the regimen Monday. During the time however, I decided to educate myself as to WHY we bulk, cut, and why we eat what we do. So I've read all I can read and memorized all I can memorize. I've spent the last couple weeks on Wikipedia reading and mastering the art of nutrition. I started with an overall read of the digestive system before actually reading about foods, macronutrients, micronutrients, vitamins, minerals, etc to understand how the body functions before I understand what I should be eating. I've finished that and have now finished understanding the majority of why we eat and what we eat, how it relates to our health and well being, and how exercise incorporates into that too. While I haven't become a bio major in 2 weeks, I feel I've greatly improved on my knowledge. So yes, I am proud of myself and can't wait to start eating even more right than I already was.

My main concern is this, however. How do I apply what I know into actual meals? How much should I be getting of what? I understand there are many general guidelines that are made and approved my the gov't but I also understand that's for the average American - a lazy, car driving, office sitting, tv watching dude who doesn't know how to spell the word gym, let alone go TO the gym Ok maybe I over exaggerated but the guidelines aren't for everyone. I want to not only look good through my muscle building over the summer but feel good and be active. This means not only looking at my macros but taking into account vitamins and minerals, and reducing the risk for heart and stroke problems, immune deficiencies, bone and skin conditions, etc. I want this summer to change me forever, and hopefully for my friends and family to follow suit.

I'm not looking for a meal plan, but for ingredients based on their nutritional values. Since I don't know how much of what I need, I don't know how much of which ingredients to include into my meals. How much should I be getting of what?
    Wait, how can you have mastered anything if you dont even know this?

Is this a joke?

Im not going to give you a meal plan dont worry, i will however direct you to this stickies posted at the top of this forums page, go read them, master them, memorize them, all the answers to your questions are within.
    Eat the damn yolk.

dankup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dankup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dankup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dankup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dankup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dankup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dankup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dankup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dankup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dankup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dankup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks gxp. I guess I didn't phrase it correctly. I read about WHY we need the nutrients and what they do to our bodies, not how MUCH one would need.

cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks gxp. I guess I didn't phrase it correctly. I read about WHY we need the nutrients and what they do to our bodies, not how MUCH one would need.
    read the stickies and you will know
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total

Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz
    I see, well thats good too, maybe you can give me some valuable info some time lol, but for now, be one with the stickies.
    Eat the damn yolk.

Sorry for the long response (I was reading the stickies :P). I will continue to do so later on tonight. I never went deep into them, I know the macro sticky is good and all but never actually went into the others to read up and look at the comments. I already see a ton of promising material and will get back if I have any questions. As for now, the stickies await!

P.S, are you talking about stickies in the nutrition thread or the whole forum?

cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sorry for the long response (I was reading the stickies :P). I will continue to do so later on tonight. I never went deep into them, I know the macro sticky is good and all but never actually went into the others to read up and look at the comments. I already see a ton of promising material and will get back if I have any questions. As for now, the stickies await!

depends on what you want to know but as far as your question concerns, just the nutrition
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total

KayPS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KayPS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KayPS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KayPS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KayPS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KayPS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KayPS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KayPS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KayPS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KayPS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KayPS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Nutrition Forum

Edit: Damn CL!

MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    ITT: OP researches nutrition for a month. Still doesn't read stickies.

(Not to bust your balls too hard, OP, as you are obviously willing to listen and educate yourself)

No worries MetilHed. I read only on Wikipedia and didn't read on the forum until I realized - now I know why we eat it, but I have no idea how much I need of it.

enough to fuel your body through out the day, with enough left over so your body can construct lean mass, add stored energy, repair itself -bulk

enough to fuel your body, while eating under enough so your body can use stored energy which results in fat loss, with a little muscle too perhaps, i.e weight loss, while ofc still being enough to repair muscle tears from bodybuilding.

Simple when you get your head around it.
    Eat the damn yolk.

bambam601 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bambam601 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bambam601 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bambam601 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bambam601 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bambam601 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bambam601 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bambam601 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bambam601 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bambam601 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bambam601 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    No worries MetilHed. I read only on Wikipedia and didn't read on the forum until I realized - now I know why we eat it, but I have no idea how much I need of it.
    here is where the problem lies.
    i rarely ever trust wikipedia since it can be peer-edited at any time.
    but like others have said, the stickies should help you out.
    Iron & Ice Cream.

Stop Bitchin.

Shred.

Originally Posted by bambam601 View Post
    here is where the problem lies.
    i rarely ever trust wikipedia since it can be peer-edited at any time.
    but like others have said, the stickies should help you out.
    I actually don't mind the source. From what I've been reading on the stickies, it's very related.

I actually don't mind the source. From what I've been reading on the stickies, it's very related.
    ya wiki isn't bad on most things, good job on actually reading the stickies
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total

Thanks CL.

Ok so after spending a couple hours reading through I found a very useful thread talking about macros/micros and water. While informative, it talks about why they're important for the body and where to find them (what foods). The thing I'm looking for is how much should I be eating (micros, I'm good on my macros and know how much I need of what). I'm skeptical using government approved guidelines because they're for the average Joe. I go to the gym, bike, jog, I'm active so I think a guide like that wouldn't do me much justice, it relates to dudes who sit in offices and ride their cars 4 hours a day.

Thanks CL.

Ok so after spending a couple hours reading through I found a very useful thread talking about macros/micros and water. While informative, it talks about why they're important for the body and where to find them (what foods). The thing I'm looking for is how much should I be eating (micros, I'm good on my macros and know how much I need of what). I'm skeptical using government approved guidelines because they're for the average Joe. I go to the gym, bike, jog, I'm active so I think a guide like that wouldn't do me much justice, it relates to dudes who sit in offices and ride their cars 4 hours a day.
    Micros?, well assuming you are eating a good varied diet of foods to meet your macros/calories, i will assume you also include fair portions of veggies in your diet? Greens are always a good start, nothing wrong with taking a mutli vitamin either.
    Eat the damn yolk.

micros? check RDA values on google, that's easy
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total

I can but how do those relate to someone who is more active than the average guy and someone who lifts weights? You know how the Canadian or US government says the average guy should be consuming what, 2,000 calories, out of those it should be like 60g of protein, some fat, the rest carbs? We know if we're bulking and if we're building muscle we need protein triple that amount. Would it work the same way for micros? Because again, what's listed, is for the average Joe.

I can but how do those relate to someone who is more active than the average guy and someone who lifts weights? You know how the Canadian or US government says the average guy should be consuming what, 2,000 calories, out of those it should be like 60g of protein, some fat, the rest carbs? We know if we're bulking and if we're building muscle we need protein triple that amount. Would it work the same way for micros? Because again, what's listed, is for the average Joe.
    those are minimal, or "outdated" facts, a lot of that times back to WW2 where rations were in use. You need to eat to suit your lifestyle, which will be more than the average joe, seeing as you will be burning more calories through exercise etc.
    Eat the damn yolk.

Originally Posted by Gxp23 View Post
    those are minimal, or "outdated" facts, a lot of that times back to WW2 where rations were in use. You need to eat to suit your lifestyle, which will be more than the average joe, seeing as you will be burning more calories through exercise etc.
    Great, so how much should I be eating to suit my lifestyle ? Where do I find out?

Great, so how much should I be eating to suit my lifestyle ? Where do I find out?
    If you are talking about macros/calories im sure we already went through that up top, micros wise, thats a tricky one, i just take my multi, eat plenty of veg and go with it.
    Eat the damn yolk.

jakestorm will become famous soon enough. (+50) jakestorm will become famous soon enough. (+50) jakestorm will become famous soon enough. (+50) jakestorm will become famous soon enough. (+50) jakestorm will become famous soon enough. (+50) jakestorm will become famous soon enough. (+50) jakestorm will become famous soon enough. (+50) jakestorm will become famous soon enough. (+50) jakestorm will become famous soon enough. (+50) jakestorm will become famous soon enough. (+50) jakestorm will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    OP you dont need to be an expert in human physiology to properly design a diet. People have already put together general rules for us "ordinary" people to follow, just apply their principles and you'll be fine. (I.E: Refer to the stickies)

Originally Posted by jakestorm View Post
    OP you dont need to be an expert in human physiology to properly design a diet. People have already put together general rules for us "ordinary" people to follow, just apply their principles and you'll be fine. (I.E: Refer to the stickies)
    I get that and I've truthfully read the stickies. I just can't find where it talks about the amount of micros I need. There's an awesome thread on what the are and why they do what they do, but how much a person needs, can't find it.

I get that and I've truthfully read the stickies. I just can't find where it talks about the amount of micros I need. There's an awesome thread on what the are and why they do what they do, but how much a person needs, can't find it.
    holy chit op, will you stop worrying about micros, there are no determined number for anyone, everyones different, nobody is the same, just eat a diet rich in vitamins and you will be fine, seriously, micros isnt something you should be worrying about right now if you are just eating right.
    Eat the damn yolk.

13Chris13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 13Chris13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 13Chris13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 13Chris13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 13Chris13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 13Chris13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 13Chris13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 13Chris13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 13Chris13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 13Chris13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 13Chris13 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    OP read the very first sticky by Emma-Leigh.. That will help you out... The amount of food you need is determined by your weight, BMR, how active you are, etc..

None of us know anything about you so we can't tell you how many calories, protein, etc..

All I know is that you're 19 and when I was 19 I just ate and lifted and good things happened.. I mean don't get carried away, but you don't have to be anal about it

Originally Posted by 13Chris13 View Post
    OP read the very first sticky by Emma-Leigh.. That will help you out... The amount of food you need is determined by your weight, BMR, how active you are, etc..

None of us know anything about you so we can't tell you how many calories, protein, etc..

All I know is that you're 19 and when I was 19 I just ate and lifted and good things happened.. I mean don't get carried away, but you don't have to be anal about it
    I don't need the first sticky lol, I'm good on my macros. It's micros I wanted to know about, but alright, thanks anyway guys.

Ight so here's the down low. I was 140 lbs, wanted to get bigger over the winter and bulked to 160. Everything got bigger but I got fat. While my arms and legs got wider, my stomach bulged to a point where it looks like I'm a pregnant chick. I've got a big curvature starting 2 inches below my belly button all the way up until my 2 upper abs and it feels nasty as hell. I'm not too sure what to do. I can start cutting but I've avoided eating right and going to the gym for ~3 weeks, lost some bulk (so I'm wondering if I should bulk for another month?) but am starting again Monday. I'll be back later this afternoon to post my current weight and what I've come up with for my macros for summer training but man it feels disgusting! Some dudes bulk and they get bigger but their stomachs stay flat! I was happy with my results with my shirt ON - big arms and chest popping out but when I took it off it was the nastiest thing.

Maybe you could say I was eating "dirty". I wasn't, but it wasn't 100% clean either (is that where my problem lies?). While I never went out to KFC or ordered take out from Swiss Chalet, I concentrated on my macros like there's no tomorrow making sure I finished the day with what was needed. But I wasn't taking into account different types of fats - saturated? Bring it on. Trans? our some on me. Same thing was carbs - mostly white rice instead of brown, white spaghetti and macaroni instead of whole grain (is that also where m problem lies?). Protein was protein, and I was getting the majority of it from chicken breast and beef steaks, tilapia, peanut butter. I still considered it a clean bulk because I had little processed foods in my stomach from staying miles away from McDonald's and Subway. Would I have gotten a flatter stomach if I took into account unrefined carbs and paid attention to lowering my trans/satured fat intake? And how much trans/saturated intake is acceptable for daily consumption?
    Last edited by dankup; 05-04-2013 at 06:19 AM.

Ok I decided to recalculate my macros for 3,000 calories. I think I'm going to bulk for another month or so just to get back where I was in ~April. As suggested, I have read the stickies. 160 protein, 105 fat, 353 carbs. Is that doable? I'm 155 lbs so I think 160 of protein should be ok. Fats? Carbs? I'm just scared I'll get even more fat than I already am. I understand I'm bulking but this is ridiculous. Then I'm further scared that the stomach bulge won't go away but the arms and legs will after a cut.

Can anyone help a brother out? As mentioned my main concern is the stomach bulge. I see guys at the gym who bulk and have a flat core with bigger arms and legs. I have the same thing but my stomach isn't the same. What's the cause of this? I think I'm eating right but can someone confirm? When I first bulked I didn't pay attention to the types of fat and just met the daily x amount of grams (not paying attention to saturated/trans). Was this the problem?

Currensy420 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Currensy420 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Currensy420 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Currensy420 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Currensy420 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Currensy420 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Currensy420 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Currensy420 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Currensy420 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Currensy420 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Currensy420 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You are basically making bodybuilding harder than it has to be on yourself, you are overcomplicating things. No that wasn't the problem, although you should definitely avoid trans fats, saturated fats are perfectly fine. Also, don't compare yourself to other guys in the gym, everybody is different... Also are you skinny-fat, how much do you weigh, you should post some pictures up!