jaybay88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is 175 bench max good...

Im 15 5'7 140 pounds. I feel like its just awful. My pressing is so weak. Can someone help me get it up

ieatramen is on a distinguished road. (+10) ieatramen is on a distinguished road. (+10) ieatramen is on a distinguished road. (+10) ieatramen is on a distinguished road. (+10) ieatramen is on a distinguished road. (+10) ieatramen is on a distinguished road. (+10) ieatramen is on a distinguished road. (+10) ieatramen is on a distinguished road. (+10) ieatramen is on a distinguished road. (+10) ieatramen is on a distinguished road. (+10) ieatramen is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by jaybay88 View Post
    Im 15 5'7 140 pounds. I feel like its just awful. My pressing is so weak. Can someone help me get it up
    For 15 its pretty good.

Only person who can increase your pressing strength is yourself.

To press more weight, you can adjust technique and/or increase muscle size. Pecs/Delts/Lats/Triceps all contribute.

I would suggest consuming enough food so that you gain weight at a steady rate, and bench at least twice a week. Pressing strength is often proportional to bodyweight, if you get bigger you'll press more.
    NZ Crew

Visit forum twice a year... Crew

First entered a gym in August 2012

470kg total (120B/160S/190D) @ Auckland Novice Competition March 2015

PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500)
    You gotta start somewhere man. It's a decent number but you surely have lots of room for improvement. As ieatramen said, you need to eat a lot (caloric surplus) to really make the most out of your lifting sessions. However, pressing strength is not proportional to bodyweight, it is merely related to it. I've gained 60-65 pounds in 4 years but my bench has increased 200 pounds during that time.

BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Keep it going

ieatramen is on a distinguished road. (+10) ieatramen is on a distinguished road. (+10) ieatramen is on a distinguished road. (+10) ieatramen is on a distinguished road. (+10) ieatramen is on a distinguished road. (+10) ieatramen is on a distinguished road. (+10) ieatramen is on a distinguished road. (+10) ieatramen is on a distinguished road. (+10) ieatramen is on a distinguished road. (+10) ieatramen is on a distinguished road. (+10) ieatramen is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by PhillipQ25 View Post
    You gotta start somewhere man. It's a decent number but you surely have lots of room for improvement. As ieatramen said, you need to eat a lot (caloric surplus) to really make the most out of your lifting sessions. However, pressing strength is not proportional to bodyweight, it is merely related to it. I've gained 60-65 pounds in 4 years but my bench has increased 200 pounds during that time.
    99% of the lifting population's pressing strength will increase as they gain bodyweight. Are you saying that this does not make the relationship between the two proportional?

"Proportional; corresponding in size or amount to something else". Related is a much lazier word, the same way my pubic hair and my penis are related.
    NZ Crew

Visit forum twice a year... Crew

First entered a gym in August 2012

470kg total (120B/160S/190D) @ Auckland Novice Competition March 2015

PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500) PhillipQ25 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by ieatramen View Post
    99% of the lifting population's pressing strength will increase as they gain bodyweight. Are you saying that this does not make the relationship between the two proportional?

"Proportional; corresponding in size or amount to something else". Related is a much lazier word, the same way my pubic hair and my penis are related.
    Good job you googled the definition to sound educated. Proportional would mean that if you would graph your weight and your benche the slope of the graph would be constant. It is not. from January til now my bench increased 15 pounds while I gained about 3-4. When I started working out, I gained 70 pounds on my bench while gaining 20 pounds. As you can see, when I first started gaining a lot of muscle weight my bench increased 2.5 pounds for every pound I gained. Now, since it is hard for someone my height to gain anymore weight at my age, my bench increases 4-5 pounds while I gain only 1 pound. Hence bench and weight do not have constant ratio to each other aka not directly proportional.

Registered User ChaoticProgress's Avatar
    ChaoticProgress is not very well liked. (-100) ChaoticProgress is not very well liked. (-100) ChaoticProgress is not very well liked. (-100) ChaoticProgress is not very well liked. (-100) ChaoticProgress is not very well liked. (-100) ChaoticProgress is not very well liked. (-100) ChaoticProgress is not very well liked. (-100) ChaoticProgress is not very well liked. (-100) ChaoticProgress is not very well liked. (-100) ChaoticProgress is not very well liked. (-100) ChaoticProgress is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by PhillipQ25 View Post
    Good job you googled the definition to sound educated. Proportional would mean that if you would graph your weight and your benche the slope of the graph would be constant. It is not. from January til now my bench increased 15 pounds while I gained about 3-4. When I started working out, I gained 70 pounds on my bench while gaining 20 pounds. As you can see, when I first started gaining a lot of muscle weight my bench increased 2.5 pounds for every pound I gained. Now, since it is hard for someone my height to gain anymore weight at my age, my bench increases 4-5 pounds while I gain only 1 pound. Hence bench and weight do not have constant ratio to each other aka not directly proportional.
    Exactly, he's making a false connection.

Your bench is increasing because your strength is increasing. Which isn't always related to size. You can get fatter, and therefore weigh more, without gaining muscle or strength, therefore your bench wouldn't increase.

It's related only if your size is increasing in part due to muscle mass and therefore likely strength increase.

You could also start at x weight - gain muscle and strength - lose a lot of fat, weigh less (but retain more muscle than you started with) - and your bench could be higher, and you're still stronger, but weigh less. Therefore they can (and in this context aka people working out to get stronger - often do; go hand in hand, but also opposite and be true, they're not necessarily conducive.