Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Stretching? You are doing it wrong...

I was speaking with a gymnast and I learned many things.

If you are not stretching...you are doing it wrong :
    It is important to improve the flexibility of tight muscles for :
    -Injury prevention
    -More efficient position, especially for squat
    -Better posture

If you dont stretch regularly...you are doing it wrong :
    Stretching is like muscle building. Frequency is the key. Flexibility gains are temporary (like the pump after a training) and it takes time, practice and patience to see permanent gains.
    For optimal flexibility gains, stretch :
    -Once or twice a day
    -More than 3x a week
    -For at least 2-3 months

If you stretch for ~1 minute or less...you are doing it wrong :
    During the first 1-2 minutes of stretching, your muscles are resisting. In other words, it takes at least 1 minute to start stretching the muscles fibers.
    To get permanent results :
    -Stretch for 3-5 minutes NON-STOP
    -Increased the pressure on the stretched muscles over this time. Ask a partner to push on you or use your own bodyweight to apply more and more pressure.

Quick recipe to success :
    -Stretch
    -1 or 2x a day
    -3 to 7 day a week
    -Slowly increase the tension

If you have flexibility issue for certain exercises (especially for squat), stretching as a part of your warm up might improve your form. Tight hip external rotators, quads and adductors are common among lifters and it can cause excessive leaning and/or buttwink. Look out for hips opening stretching if you have this problem. Tight pectoral muscle and poor scapular mobility can hinder your presses (flat and over head).

Stretching a muscle for 3-5 minutes might seem time consuming for some of you. Here is a simple tips : pick 2-3 muscles that really need better flexibility. Example : quads, hip external rotators and adductor for a better squat position. Focus on them until you see permanent gains, then focus on another body parts.
    Last edited by Saintsqc; 04-23-2013 at 09:33 AM.
    ☆ ☆ QUEBEC CREW ☆ ☆

OW log :
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149575693&p=977696913#post977696913

Competition lift : 212 kg total (95/117) @ 77 kg

petertuck is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) petertuck is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) petertuck is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) petertuck is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) petertuck is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) petertuck is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) petertuck is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) petertuck is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) petertuck is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) petertuck is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) petertuck is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    great post, i really want to start doing my stretching routine consistently but i never have the time, repped

Caught in a Tornado Kick TheBudoka's Avatar
    TheBudoka will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheBudoka will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheBudoka will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheBudoka will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheBudoka will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheBudoka will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheBudoka will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheBudoka will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheBudoka will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheBudoka will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheBudoka will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Agree with the doing it wrong if only stretching for 1 minute. See it often, people thinking a quick 30 seconds stretch is the same as taking 5 minutes to stretch out properly.

Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Ensix View Post
    in on potential sticky thread

contributing to thread: http://www.sensational-yoga-poses.com/

there's chitload of awesome stretches.
    Thx!

What are your favorite stretch from this website?

Originally Posted by petertuck View Post
    great post, i really want to start doing my stretching routine consistently but i never have the time, repped
    Start with your worst body part (ie : hamstring) and focus only on this. Add other muscles as you get used to your stretching routine. You have to start somewhere

Originally Posted by TheBudoka View Post
    Agree with the doing it wrong if only stretching for 1 minute. See it often, people thinking a quick 30 seconds stretch is the same as taking 5 minutes to stretch out properly.
    30 sec stretch is really common. I study kinesiology and my teachers tell us there is no difference between 15 s stretch, 30s stretch or 60 s stretch. I guess they just never tried to srsly improve the flexibility of someone.
    ☆ ☆ QUEBEC CREW ☆ ☆

OW log :
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149575693&p=977696913#post977696913

chicheto93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chicheto93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chicheto93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chicheto93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chicheto93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chicheto93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chicheto93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chicheto93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chicheto93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chicheto93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chicheto93 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Speaking from experience, stretching before workout has really helped me reduce sciatic pain in my lower back and right leg when doing atg squats. Let's get this stickied!

Gurung84 is just really nice. (+1000) Gurung84 is just really nice. (+1000) Gurung84 is just really nice. (+1000) Gurung84 is just really nice. (+1000) Gurung84 is just really nice. (+1000) Gurung84 is just really nice. (+1000) Gurung84 is just really nice. (+1000) Gurung84 is just really nice. (+1000) Gurung84 is just really nice. (+1000) Gurung84 is just really nice. (+1000) Gurung84 is just really nice. (+1000)
    yeah i heard about stretching, i been doing it recently. Is it better to do at gym before/after workout or rest days?

Registered User ClubFootMonster's Avatar
    ClubFootMonster will become famous soon enough. (+50) ClubFootMonster will become famous soon enough. (+50) ClubFootMonster will become famous soon enough. (+50) ClubFootMonster will become famous soon enough. (+50) ClubFootMonster will become famous soon enough. (+50) ClubFootMonster will become famous soon enough. (+50) ClubFootMonster will become famous soon enough. (+50) ClubFootMonster will become famous soon enough. (+50) ClubFootMonster will become famous soon enough. (+50) ClubFootMonster will become famous soon enough. (+50) ClubFootMonster will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Saintsqc View Post
    I was speaking with a gymnast and I learned many things.

If you are not stretching...you are doing it wrong :
    Flexibility is important for :
    -Injury prevention
    -More efficient position, especially for squat
    -Better posture

If you dont stretch regularly...you are doing it wrong :
    Stretching is like muscle building. Frequency is the key. Flexibility gains are temporary (like the pump after a training) and it takes time, practice and patience to see permanent gains.
    For optimal gains, stretch :
    -Once or twice a day
    -More than 3x a week
    -For at least 2-3 months

If you dont stretch during your warm up...you are doing it wrong :
    You wont lose strength or whatsoever. Balistic stretching, short static stretching and/or foam rolling will release the tensed muscles. For most of you, quick hips stretching before your squat session will greatly improve your form. It is not mandatory, but give it a try to see if it helps you.

If you stretch for ~1 minute or less...you are doing it wrong :
    During the first 1-2 minutes of stretching, your muscles are resisting. In other words, it takes at least 1 minute to start stretching the muscles fibers.
    To get permanent results :
    -Increased the pressure on the stretched muscles over this time. Ask a partner to push on you or use your own bodyweight to apply more and more pressure. You have to activaly stretch your muscles.

Quick recipe to success :
    -Stretch
    -1 or 2x a day
    -3 to 7 day a week
    -Actively stretch the muscles
    -Stretching before a work out is not bad, it could even help you

Stretching a muscle for 5 minutes might seem time consuming for some of you. Here is a simple tips : pick 2-3 muscles that really need better flexibility. Example : quads, external hips rotator and adductor for a better squat position. Focus on them until you see permanent gains, then focus on another body parts.
    Yes, this is one of my favorite things I've read on this website I can't count how many people have came up to me mid way through my pre workout stretching and told me I'll "lose" strength if I continue, in all honesty you can work out your whole life and, try and be as strong as possible. But, the only thing that will translate over to a long life of fitness and health is proper diet and stretching these are the two things your body needs more then any compound lift or anything along the lines of that. You won't be able to lift hard one day but, you will always be able to eat healthy and stretch long.

I'd love to see this thread elaborated on and stickied for greater knowledge and accessibility for anyone one knew to fitness who's looking for a great way to increase performance and over all health
    Deadlift 525x3
    Squat 475x3
    Bench 300x2

Current supp stack
    Jack3d v2
    Anavite
    Food
    Food
    Food
    Food

Bi lateral club feet

sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000)
    Usually do a half hour of dynamic stretches and some short static stretching before working out. Have always wanted to be able to do the splits but have never been able to commit to it long enough. You have to enjoy pain lol.
    yolo- you only lift once

Sumo Deadlift: 480 x1
    Back Squat: 450 x1
    Bench: 240 x1

sampagett is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sampagett is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sampagett is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sampagett is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sampagett is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sampagett is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sampagett is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sampagett is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sampagett is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sampagett is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sampagett is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Personally i like to do my stretching routine first thing in the morning, wakes me up and gets out that morning muscle tightness.
    ☆☆☆υк ¢яєω☆☆☆

Poirier94 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Poirier94 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Poirier94 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Poirier94 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Poirier94 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Poirier94 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Poirier94 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Poirier94 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Poirier94 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Poirier94 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Poirier94 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Quality post. I was a 30 sec stretch guy.
    Ontario crew
    RCMP
    Take 3 weeks shipping crew

When u feel the weight of the world on your shoulders throw some 45s and squat dat sh*t
    Kingston Ontario

Zebura will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zebura will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zebura will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zebura will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zebura will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zebura will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zebura will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zebura will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zebura will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zebura will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zebura will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Good info, will definitely begin stretching more before squats.

Also,
    1st page lol
    S: More
    B: Than
    D: You

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
    I am not there; I do not sleep.
    I am a thousand pounds of whey,
    I am the oats that start your day, I am the squats down to the grass,
    I am the gains in your muscle mass, When your strength begins to drift,
    I am the rush that helps yo lift.
    Of helpful bros that inspire
    I am your charm when the girls 'mire
    Do not stand at my grave and cry,
    I am not there; I did not die.

Originally Posted by Gurung84 View Post
    yeah i heard about stretching, i been doing it recently. Is it better to do at gym before/after workout or rest days?
    Pre work out : 30 s static stretch just to get used to tension in extreme ROM, dynamic stretching and quick foam rolling...as a part of your warm up
    Post work out AND on rest days : 3-5 min static stretch to improve flexibility
    Try for a few work outs and report back.

You have to define your goals pre workout. Stretch as a part of your work out (if so...make it short, use static, dynamic and foam roll to prepare your body)? Or stretch to improve flexibility (if so...increase the duration of your stretching)?

Originally Posted by Poirier94 View Post
    Quality post. I was a 30 sec stretch guy.
    I'm happy to be the one to open your eyes to the Truth.

lol...just kidding.

Originally Posted by Zebura View Post
    Good info, will definitely begin stretching more before squats.

Also,
    1st page lol
    Look out for hips opening stretching (external hips rotator, quads, adductors). It makes a huge difference.
    ☆ ☆ QUEBEC CREW ☆ ☆

OW log :

sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yea its better to do really intense stretching after working out. Less intense mobility work is pretty much a must have beforehand though.

I've started this splits stretching program before. Always quit after a few weeks or so. Hard to keep myself motivated through the pain haha.
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/for...ad.php?t=96381
    Gonna force myself through it one of these days.
    yolo- you only lift once

Sumo Deadlift: 480 x1
    Back Squat: 450 x1
    Bench: 240 x1

BlinkTwice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BlinkTwice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BlinkTwice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BlinkTwice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BlinkTwice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BlinkTwice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BlinkTwice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BlinkTwice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BlinkTwice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BlinkTwice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BlinkTwice has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    True, after starting regular stretching after each workout, ive noticed better gains.

16.75" of Clive wannabe natypes's Avatar
    natypes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) natypes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) natypes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) natypes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) natypes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) natypes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) natypes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) natypes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) natypes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) natypes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) natypes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I started stretching a couple of times a week and my car insurance went down 15%. Thanks stretchy stretcherton.

Srs though I didn't realize the importance of stretching until I started going to a chiropractor. He took an x-ray of my pelvis and was able to tell me my hip flexibility was bad (it was and I knew it, but I was working on it) He said that it was drawing my femurs closer into my pelvis and would cause cartilage damage from the bones rubbing if I didn't stretch it out more.

Have a very sore elbow on the bone. Feels like I hit it on a concrete wall yesterday. Problem is, it's felt like this since November. I have not been able to do direct tricep training b/c of it. Doc told me it was b/c my tri was over-developed and pulling on the tendons around that bone and causing them not to get blood.

STRETCH KIDS!!!
    You are the only problem you will ever have and YOU are the only solution.

Car Crew
    Only misc 8-5 crew M-F
    Android Crew
    Indie Music Crew
    Black girl magic crew
    Home chef crew
    Warzone 2 crew
    FJB

NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I love stretching after squats... HNNNG that feel.
    Liverpool F.C.

RIP Bill Starr

alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz
    If you dont stretch during your warm up...you are doing it wrong :
    You wont lose strength or whatsoever. Balistic stretching, short static stretching and/or foam rolling will release the tensed muscles. For most of you, quick hips stretching before your squat session will greatly improve your form. It is not mandatory, but give it a try to see if it helps you.
    I disagree. Take a look at the current research evidence:

"All the stretching protocols significantly reduced the number of repetitions (SS: 20.8%, p < 0.001; BS: 17.8%, p = 0.01; PNF: 22.7%, p < 0.001) and total volume (SS: 20.4%, p < 0.001; BS: 17.9%, p = 0.01; PNF: 22.4%, p < 0.001) when compared with NS. The results from this study suggest that, to avoid a decrease in both the number of repetitions and total volume, stretching exercises should not be performed before a resistance training session. Additionally, strength-trained individuals may experience reduced maximal dynamic strength after PNF stretching." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22914099"

I'd advise you to not take people's word as fact before checking out the scientific data on the matter.

NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000)
    ^^^

don't you have a YT channel or something of that sort?

link to it please and thanks
    Liverpool F.C.

RIP Bill Starr

16.75&amp;amp;quot; of Clive wannabe natypes's Avatar
    natypes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) natypes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) natypes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) natypes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) natypes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) natypes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) natypes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) natypes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) natypes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) natypes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) natypes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by alan aragon View Post

"All the stretching protocols significantly reduced the number of repetitions (SS: 20.8%, p < 0.001; BS: 17.8%, p = 0.01; PNF: 22.7%, p < 0.001) and total volume (SS: 20.4%, p < 0.001; BS: 17.9%, p = 0.01; PNF: 22.4%, p < 0.001) when compared with NS. The results from this study suggest that, to avoid a decrease in both the number of repetitions and total volume, stretching exercises should not be performed before a resistance training session. Additionally, strength-trained individuals may experience reduced maximal dynamic strength after PNF stretching." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22914099

I'd advise you to not take people's word as fact before checking out the scientific data on the matter.
    I knew this was coming. I've read this too, but prevention of injury is extremely important. Would you just recommend post work-out stretching?

Car Crew
    Only misc 8-5 crew M-F
    Android Crew
    Indie Music Crew
    Black girl magic crew
    Home chef crew
    Warzone 2 crew
    FJB

alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by natypes View Post
    I knew this was coming. I've read this too, but prevention of injury is extremely important. Would you just recommend post work-out stretching?
    Unless you have flexibility or ROM issues that can put you at risk in your chosen sport, stretching isn't necessarily important for injury prevention. Nor does pre-exercise stretching prevent muscle soreness or force loss (http://www.pmid.us/10407930).

But if you insist on stretching, since there's no difference in flexibility effect between pre & postexercise stretching (http://www.pmid.us/17685710), and it's been repeatedly shown that both static & dynamic stretching reduces strength performance, do it after the training bout. If you choose to do it at all, that is.

Originally Posted by NaturalFTW View Post
    ^^^

don't you have a YT channel or something of that sort?

link to it please and thanks
    YT? Nope.

Jacked46 is just really nice. (+1000) Jacked46 is just really nice. (+1000) Jacked46 is just really nice. (+1000) Jacked46 is just really nice. (+1000) Jacked46 is just really nice. (+1000) Jacked46 is just really nice. (+1000) Jacked46 is just really nice. (+1000) Jacked46 is just really nice. (+1000) Jacked46 is just really nice. (+1000) Jacked46 is just really nice. (+1000) Jacked46 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by BlinkTwice View Post
    True, after starting regular stretching after each workout, ive noticed better gains.
    Lol i dont think so, stretching doesn't promote hypertrophy

"All the stretching protocols significantly reduced the number of repetitions (SS: 20.8%, p < 0.001; BS: 17.8%, p = 0.01; PNF: 22.7%, p < 0.001) and total volume (SS: 20.4%, p < 0.001; BS: 17.9%, p = 0.01; PNF: 22.4%, p < 0.001) when compared with NS. The results from this study suggest that, to avoid a decrease in both the number of repetitions and total volume, stretching exercises should not be performed before a resistance training session. Additionally, strength-trained individuals may experience reduced maximal dynamic strength after PNF stretching." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22914099"

Thank you alan, I came in to post this
    You walked away but you do this, you go to the bathroom, you get your phone, y-y-youu

STOP IT , STOP IT!

I dont have access to full article. I wonder what is the protocol for SS, BS and PNF stretching. How spaced where the training bout, etc? I doubt every parameters were controlled. Stretching pre-workout reduced the volume by about ~20%....it's a lot! Is it possible that the subjects were affected by factors, other than the pre-work out stretching. Also...12 subjects...isnt a small pool of subjects to consider the findings as facts??

Is there any other studies on the subject to validate this study?
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20145564
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20647949
    These were in the related citations and they say the opposite...???

Anyway, it meant to be a "catchy" title to get attention. My point was, stretching as a part of your warm up may greatly improve your squat form (or other exercises) and you should give it a try to see if it helps.
    ☆ ☆ QUEBEC CREW ☆ ☆

OW log :

Not even my final form NZninja101's Avatar
    NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    'People are gonna remember me as a god forever... Like-like-like Troy, like Chiles heel, I'm a god forever I'll be remembered for thousands of years to come' - Jason Genova

Texas Method Mod: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171537443&p=1444534723&viewfull=1#post1444534723

16.75&amp;amp;quot; of Clive wannabe natypes's Avatar
    Unless you have flexibility or ROM issues that can put you at risk in your chosen sport, stretching isn't necessarily important for injury prevention. Nor does pre-exercise stretching prevent muscle soreness or force loss (http://www.pmid.us/10407930).

But if you insist on stretching, since there's no difference in flexibility effect between pre & postexercise stretching (http://www.pmid.us/17685710), and it's been repeatedly shown that both static & dynamic stretching reduces strength performance, do it after the training bout. If you choose to do it at all, that is.

Understood. I stretch due to hip flexibility issues.

Car Crew
    Only misc 8-5 crew M-F
    Android Crew
    Indie Music Crew
    Black girl magic crew
    Home chef crew
    Warzone 2 crew
    FJB

Is there any other studies on the subject to validate this study?
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20145564
    These were in the related citations and they say the opposite...???
    The study I cited is essentially a replication of a previous one, so it wasn't a one-hit wonder:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22067245

Here are plenty more studies showing adverse effects of pre-exercise stretching on various training & performance parameters (the first one involves vertical jump performance, the rest are strength & endurance measures):
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17313299
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19428295
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19057408
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18978623
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11770791
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15903372
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19650391

The main thing you should take into consideration is that there's a lack of evidence supporting the *benefits* of pre-training stretching (which you claimed) on strength performance. The results have been either neutral or negative. For strength training specifically, the evidence does not support your uber-positive stance on stretching that you described in the original post. In fact, like I mentioned, those without flexibility issues could at best be wasting their time stretching, and at worst, inhibiting their training performance.
    Last edited by alan aragon; 04-21-2013 at 07:14 PM.

justinkel is just really nice. (+1000) justinkel is just really nice. (+1000) justinkel is just really nice. (+1000) justinkel is just really nice. (+1000) justinkel is just really nice. (+1000) justinkel is just really nice. (+1000) justinkel is just really nice. (+1000) justinkel is just really nice. (+1000) justinkel is just really nice. (+1000) justinkel is just really nice. (+1000) justinkel is just really nice. (+1000)
    Spot on first page
    *I rep back*

JosefRakichFitness.com JOSEF RAKICH's Avatar
    JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good thread!

XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by natypes View Post
    Understood. I stretch due to hip flexibility issues.
    Similar to me. I have weak hips, so I'm strengthening them by lifting (and gaining weight since I'm underweight) and I make sure to stretch and it makes my hip feel a lot better.

Cippi21 is just really nice. (+1000) Cippi21 is just really nice. (+1000) Cippi21 is just really nice. (+1000) Cippi21 is just really nice. (+1000) Cippi21 is just really nice. (+1000) Cippi21 is just really nice. (+1000) Cippi21 is just really nice. (+1000) Cippi21 is just really nice. (+1000) Cippi21 is just really nice. (+1000) Cippi21 is just really nice. (+1000) Cippi21 is just really nice. (+1000)
    In on first page of sticky! EDIT: CRAP!

Good post OP, seems ive been doing it wrong ha
    ♛ PUNK AESTHETICS CREW™ ♛