Eodm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

No weight loss with extra protein. Help needed

Hi,
    I've been trying to loose weight for around 7 weeks. So far I'm down 13lbs. (184lbs-171lbs). By keeping calories below 1200. Using myfitnesspal to keep track. Doing weight training 4 days a week and cardio for about 25 minutes for 3 days a week.
    For 2 weeks now I've kept my calories under 1200 but have been drinking a protein shake pre and post workout as well as my protein for lunch and dinner bringing my total protein for the day around 150g.
    I haven't lost any weight since I've done this so I don't know if that's because I've gained muscle?
    So I'm not sure if I just just keep trying to loose the weight and when I've got to around 150-160lbs start adding the protein to my diet again or carry on as I am?
    Help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Waziristan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Waziristan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Waziristan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Waziristan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Waziristan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Waziristan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Waziristan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Waziristan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Waziristan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Waziristan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Waziristan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you are under the impression that protein = weight loss, then you would be wrong.
    Afghan Muscle

Originally Posted by Waziristan View Post
    If you are under the impression that protein = weight loss, then you would be wrong.
    Well I was trying to loose the belly flab. I've read that I've should be consuming 1g of protein per 1lb of body weight. So should I cut out the shakes until I've lost a bit more weight and then go to a high protein diet?

Waziristan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Waziristan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Waziristan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Waziristan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Waziristan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Waziristan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Waziristan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Waziristan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Waziristan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Waziristan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Waziristan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Eodm View Post
    Well I was trying to loose the belly flab. I've read that I've should be consuming 1g of protein per 1lb of body weight. So should I cut out the shakes until I've lost a bit more weight and then go to a high protein diet?
    That is for building/maintaining muscle, nothing to do with fat loss.
    Afghan Muscle

Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You have alot to learn about nutrition and weight loss, read the stickies here on the LF forum and learn them then calculate macros,TDEE etc. Then come back with any questions you might still have.

Originally Posted by Znik View Post
    You have alot to learn about nutrition and weight loss, read the stickies here on the LF forum and learn them then calculate macros,TDEE etc. Then come back with any questions you might still have.
    Yeah I think you're right. I'm a bit all over the place.
    I'm following kris getting 12 week transformation. But keeping my calories under 1200. Which I'm guessing is just completely wrong and I need to review my diet and possibly calorie intake. I mean i have been loosing weight following this programme. But I'm lost as to if I can loose weight and maintain/possibly gain muscle at the same time. But I'll dig around the forums for some answers. Cheers for the reply

tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm following kris getting 12 week transformation. But keeping my calories under 1200. Which I'm guessing is just completely wrong and I need to review my diet and possibly calorie intake. I mean i have been loosing weight following this programme. But I'm lost as to if I can loose weight and maintain/possibly gain muscle at the same time. But I'll dig around the forums for some answers. Cheers for the reply
    You can either lose weight (calorie deficit)
    or
    Build muscle (calorie surplus)

Unfortunately, they can't be achieved at the same time.

You for sure need to eat more calories. You should visit the nutrition stickies and re - read them

Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There is a big difference between losing weight (fat and lean mass) than losing fat. Which is why getting nutrition , calories and weight lifting in check is highly important. Pretty much any weight loss will cause lean mass loss but correct nutrition and lifting is highly important to minimize that loss (muscle).

As tara said, gaining muscle while in a calorie deficit is near impossible unless you are young with raging hormones or on that other stuff, you can increase muscle size if you are new to lifting as you recover from muscle atrophy and strength from CNS adaption. But you wont be building any muscle.

Spending a hour or two reading up on the stickies in the forums here is well worth it, will save you alot of time in the long run.

Originally Posted by Znik View Post
    There is a big difference between losing weight (fat and lean mass) than losing fat. Which is why getting nutrition , calories and weight lifting in check is highly important. Pretty much any weight loss will cause lean mass loss but correct nutrition and lifting is highly important to minimize that loss (muscle).

As tara said, gaining muscle while in a calorie deficit is near impossible unless you are young with raging hormones or on that other stuff, you can increase muscle size if you are new to lifting as you recover from muscle atrophy and strength from CNS adaption. But you wont be building any muscle.

Spending a hour or two reading up on the stickies in the forums here is well worth it, will save you alot of time in the long run.
    This is a great help and has cleared a lot up.
    I will stick with just shifting the weight and just trying to maintain muscle size instead of any growth.
    And I'll get my nutrition and calorie deficit correct, by having a proper browse on the forum.
    Thank you both!

sytun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sytun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sytun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sytun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sytun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sytun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sytun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sytun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sytun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sytun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sytun is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Don't cut your protein, it's important to keep the protein levels up (more than you currently take) and train hard during your cut, if not you'll lose weight but it will be from muscle loss as much as anything else. And 1200 calls is way to low

Originally Posted by sytun View Post
    Don't cut your protein, it's important to keep the protein levels up (more than you currently take) and train hard during your cut, if not you'll lose weight but it will be from muscle loss as much as anything else. And 1200 calls is way to low
    Ok thanks
    So been reading the stickys like advised and worked out I should be consuming 1672 calories a day not 1200. With 129g protein, 45g fat and not sure on the carbs because on kris gethins 12 weeks transformation that im following he keeps cutting down the carbs so I'm a bit lost on that.
    My stats are: weight 171lbs, height 5"8, age 23, lean body mass 129lbs and a bmi of 26.1 (urgh)
    I will be weight training 4 days a week and cardio 3-4 days a week.
    Do you think a weight loss of around 1-2lbs a week would be reasonable amount to lose with the new calorie deficit while hopefully not losing to much muscle? Not interested in gaining muscle at the moment as advised just to maintain.
    Appreciate all this help thanks!
    Last edited by Eodm; 04-14-2013 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Terrible spelling