andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50) andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50) andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50) andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50) andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50) andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50) andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50) andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50) andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50) andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50) andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Calories Done, Need Advice on Macros...

Hi Guys.
    Hope you can help.
    After working out the calories needed to bulk, how do you break this down into Macros? I heard it should be 50%P,30%C, 20%F....Is this right...

I'm 5'6 and weigh 159lbs and worked out my calories to bulk at 2650 but not sure how to break this down in to Macros...

Many Thanks
    Andy

acharlong has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acharlong has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acharlong has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acharlong has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acharlong has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acharlong has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acharlong has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acharlong has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acharlong has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acharlong has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acharlong has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by andysidhu View Post
    Hi Guys.
    Hope you can help.
    After working out the calories needed to bulk, how do you break this down into Macros? I heard it should be 50%P,30%C, 20%F....Is this right...

I'm 5'6 and weigh 159lbs and worked out my calories to bulk at 2650 but not sure how to break this down in to Macros...

Many Thanks
    Andy
    Read the sticky called "Calculating Calorie & Macronutrient Needs" (sorry can't link yet).

If you don't understand, then come back.

andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50) andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50) andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50) andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50) andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50) andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50) andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50) andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50) andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50) andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50) andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I dont understand it.....

Chango99 is just really nice. (+1000) Chango99 is just really nice. (+1000) Chango99 is just really nice. (+1000) Chango99 is just really nice. (+1000) Chango99 is just really nice. (+1000) Chango99 is just really nice. (+1000) Chango99 is just really nice. (+1000) Chango99 is just really nice. (+1000) Chango99 is just really nice. (+1000) Chango99 is just really nice. (+1000) Chango99 is just really nice. (+1000)
    1. Protein: Protein intake is a bit of a controversial issue in nutrition. The general recommendations given in the 'bodybuilding' area are nearly double the 'standard' recommendations given in the Sports Nutrition Arena.
    The GENERAL sports nutrition guideline based on clinical trials suggest that in the face of ADEQUATE calories and CARBS the following protein intakes are sufficient:
    STRENGTH training -> 1.4 to 2g per KG bodyweight (about .6 / pound)
    ENDURANCE training -> 1.2 to 1.8g per KG bodyweight (about .8 / pound)
    ADOLESCENT in training -> 1.8 to 2.2g per KG bodyweight (about 1g / pound)
    BUT researchers also acknowledge that protein becomes MORE important in the context of LOWER calorie intakes, or LOWER carb intakes.
    Recent evidence also suggests that protein intakes of 3g/kg help with physiological and psychological stressors associated with high volume or intense training.
    One should also note that ADEQUATE v's OPTIMAL is not discussed when it comes to hypertrophy v's performance.
    And lastly - you need to consider thermogenics/ satiety/ and personal preference.

So - General 'bodybuilding' guidelines for protein would be as follows:
    - Moderate bodyfat and training load = 2.2-2.8g per kg TOTAL weight (about 1-1.25g per pound)
    - Very Low bodyfat or Very Low Calorie or High training load = 2.4 - 3g per kg TOTAL weight (1.1-1.35g per pound)
    - High bodyfat, high calorie, or low training load = 1.6 to 2.2g per kg TOTAL weight (.75 - 1g per pound)
    Anecdotally, as most find HIGHER protein intake better for satiety, partitioning, blood sugar control, and hypertrophy. UNLESS you have medical reasons for lower protein, or unless guided to use the GENERAL sports nutrition guidelines, I would suggest the BODYBUILDING values.

2. Fats: Generally speaking, although the body can get away with short periods of very low fat, in the long run your body NEEDS fat to maintain health, satiety, and sanity. Additionally - any form of high intensity training will benefit from a 'fat buffer' in your diet - which controls free radical damage & inflammation. General guides:
    Average or low bodyfat: 1 - 2g fat/ kg body weight [between 0.40 - 1g total weight/ pounds]
    High bodyfat: 1-2g fat/ Kg LEAN weight [between 0.4 - 1g LEAN weight/ pounds]
    Low calorie dieting - you can decrease further, but as a minimum, I would not suggest LESS than about 0.30g/ pound.
    Note 1: Total fat intake is NOT the same as 'essential fats' (essential fats are specific TYPES of fats that are INCLUDED in your total fat intake)...

3. Carbs: For carbs there are no specific 'requirements' for your body so - but carbs are important for athletes, ACTIVE individuals, or those trying to GAIN MASS. [carbs help with workout intensity, health, & satiety (+ sanity)]. This means if you are an athlete involved in a good volume of training I would suggest you CALCULATE a requirement for carbs as a PRIORITY - then go back and calculate protein / fat:
    Moderately active: 4.5 - 6.5 g/ kg (about 2 - 3g/ pound)
    High active: 6.5 - 8.5 g/ kg (about 3 - 4g/ pound)
    INTENSE activity: + 8.5g / kg (more than 4g/ pound)

For 'others' - simply carbohydrate intakes via the calories left over from fats/ protein:
    carb cals = Total cal needs - ([protein grams above x 4] + [fat grams above x 9])
    carb grams = (above cals)/ 4

bambam601 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bambam601 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bambam601 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bambam601 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bambam601 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bambam601 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bambam601 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bambam601 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bambam601 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bambam601 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bambam601 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981

read this^
    and lose the percentages.
    Iron & Ice Cream.

Stop Bitchin.

Shred.

cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    op wants spoon fed, guys
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total

Thanks guys for your help. As per above I have worked out my Macros to be 390g of Carbs, 200g of Protein and 33g of Fats. Total calories is 2650 to bulk. Does this sound ok? Or is the fat intake too low?

r0bdigz is on a distinguished road. (+10) r0bdigz is on a distinguished road. (+10) r0bdigz is on a distinguished road. (+10) r0bdigz is on a distinguished road. (+10) r0bdigz is on a distinguished road. (+10) r0bdigz is on a distinguished road. (+10) r0bdigz is on a distinguished road. (+10) r0bdigz is on a distinguished road. (+10) r0bdigz is on a distinguished road. (+10) r0bdigz is on a distinguished road. (+10) r0bdigz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks guys for your help. As per above I have worked out my Macros to be 390g of Carbs, 200g of Protein and 33g of Fats. Total calories is 2650 to bulk. Does this sound ok? Or is the fat intake too low?
    Fat is way too low. Good luck hitting that low of a number and enjoying life.

I left Fats to last. I have now reworked it to as follows: 330g of Carbs, 200g of Protein and 60g of Fats...

cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I left Fats to last. I have now reworked it to as follows: 330g of Carbs, 200g of Protein and 60g of Fats...
    fats are still low. what don't you comprehend about .4-1g fat per pound
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total

Originally Posted by cumminslifter View Post
    fats are still low. what don't you comprehend about .4-1g fat per pound
    Will do. But not sure where about between 0.4 to 1g of fat/lb I should start. I was thinking of in the middle, considering I go gym 4x a week and my day job is security officer, so all i do is just stand in one place.

Will do. But not sure where about between 0.4 to 1g of fat/lb I should start. I was thinking of in the middle, considering I go gym 4x a week and my day job is security officer, so all i do is just stand in one place.
    dosent matter
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total