markuus2107 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Soon to be 46 and back at it... after 10 years....

My story.... short version:

I am going to be 46 in June, and I am one week into the Summer Shred 2013 Contest. I am here for accountability, support and advice.

I was an elite athlete as a youth, and in my 20's got heavily into working out (not bodybuilding). Up until 2002 I was spending 10 to 12 hours a week in the gym working out hard. Sparing the details for now, I haven't worked out in 10 years, and have put on 30 to 35 lbs. The first 5 years was just plain laziness, the last 5 was a conscious decision. My daughter was born, and given my work/living situation, I chose to be a fat guy who enjoyed every moment I could with her, rather than a fit guy who missed out on those precious hours and days. She is in school now, and its time.

I weighed in today at my physical at 262 lbs. I am 5'10. The least I ever weighed as an adult was a pretty trim 211 in 1996. I touched that once. Back then, I was about 215 or so, and in pretty good shape. In 2002 I was in the neighborhood of 235, in pretty good shape, but always with about 15 to 20 I could lose if I wanted to be super fit. I never had the motivation to cut out the beer. Which, by the way, I drink ALOT of. I calculated one day that I have drank the caloric equivelent of 750 lbs in my life. So considering that I don't weigh 1012 lbs, I think I am doing pretty well. Anyway.... its time to get fit.

My goals:
    1. A six pack. A real one. Not import or domestic.
    2. Bodyfat % of 10%. I know how hard that will be given my age. I have never paid attention to weight, and have no intention of doing it now.
    3. 100 pushups in a row.
    4. An 8 minute mile.
    These goals will all be firsts in my lifetime, but there is no better time than the present right?

My Plan:
    1. I have changed my diet. I will be trying to stay below 2000 calories a day. Zero alcohol, and almost zero carbs. No breads or pastas or grains. Protein and fruits and veggies almost exclusively.
    2. The work schedule is a real obstacle, but my weekly schedule is:
    a. At least 30 mins of cardio 6 days a week. This will be running, rollerblading or inside on my Nordic Trac X country ski machine.
    b. Abs 6 days a week. I held onto an excellent 27 min 6 motion superset I got from M&F years ago.
    c. Pushups 4 time a week. I have a pushup trainer app on my android to coach me to 100 consecutive pushups.
    d. Miscellaneous other body part workouts 3 time a week. I am not joining a gym, so all my workouts will be at home. I may ask for suggestions in this department.

Where I am:
    I have a beer gut. I have fatty pecs. And as I mentioned about 45 to 50 lbs to lose to be in really good shape. My back and shoulders are ok, but I want to improve my posture, having my shoulders (i don't know the term, but its the opposite of slouching forward). If I am conscious of it, and pull them back, I like the way my back and shoulders look, even with the extra weight. But I want that to be my relaxed state.

One week in:
    I feel like have lost about 5 lbs already. My face even looks better. I have notched up one belt hole, and my tummy is feeling trimmer already. My muscles are starting to respond and are feeling harder. I had a nearly perfect week one diet wise, and I did OK workout wise. This isn't my first rodeo, so I know all about killing yourself the first few days, and not being able to function for days. I eased in, feel great, that initial stiffness is gone, and I am ready to crank it up, especially the cardio.

It took me over a week to commit to this when I first heard of it. I was and am very afraid of starting it...and then failing or quitting. I reached out to my old workout partner, and some fitness commited friends to help keep me engaged. And this forum. I had no idea it existed. I plan on using it.

I will not fail.

Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you used to be an elite athlete in your youth, not much advice is needed for you, just inspiration. You can start journaling your progress in this section: Over 35 Workout Journals. Many do.

Good luck, OP.

Middlewt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Middlewt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Middlewt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Middlewt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Middlewt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Middlewt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Middlewt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Middlewt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Middlewt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Middlewt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Middlewt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by markuus2107 View Post
    1. I have changed my diet. I will be trying to stay below 2000 calories a day. Zero alcohol, and almost zero carbs. No breads or pastas or grains. Protein and fruits and veggies almost exclusively.
    Are you doing a Ketogenic diet?

Originally Posted by markuus2107 View Post
    will not fail.
    Great attitude!!!
    ***Sick of bein' the chubby friend crew***

Middlewt

Originally Posted by Middlewt View Post
    Are you doing a Ketogenic diet?
    I just researched the term, and I suppose I am doing something close to it. I am not doing a particular 'diet' per se. I am not 100% carb free, just very limited in what I eat. Example, I will sometimes have ONE bagel in the morning, or two slices of whole wheat bread with peanut butter. The rest of the carbs I eat will occur naturally in the other foods. I am trying to stay below 100 grams of carbs a day. As for the high fat content of a Ketogenic diet, I am trying to eat fairly low fat, but the fat I am not worried about. I will have a steak, but I am not going to pour butter all over it. All my meals are prepared the healthy way (broiled or microwaved). Essentially, I am trying to eat as healthy as I can, but without grains.

The biggest changes in my diet, however, are cutting out beer and alcohol, and eating in the evening. I am active at work, on my feet all evening. I eat a large meal at 4:00, and finish work at midnight or 1:00 am. By that time, I am starving. I have always had a substantial meal at that time, and hit the sack about 3:00 AM. For the summer shred, I will not eat after work. To get rid of the hunger I will have 1 or 2 grapefruits or oranges only.
    Last edited by markuus2107; 04-05-2013 at 04:09 AM.

iGlisten is on a distinguished road. (+10) iGlisten is on a distinguished road. (+10) iGlisten is on a distinguished road. (+10) iGlisten is on a distinguished road. (+10) iGlisten is on a distinguished road. (+10) iGlisten is on a distinguished road. (+10) iGlisten is on a distinguished road. (+10) iGlisten is on a distinguished road. (+10) iGlisten is on a distinguished road. (+10) iGlisten is on a distinguished road. (+10) iGlisten is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up

AMAZING transformation video of the overweight to fit guy.
    In addition to loving training, I'm an avid hiker. My Hiking blog: http://alohasasquatch.blogspot.com/2012/12/makapuu-tom-tom-hike.html

ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    No barbells?

Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Good luck OP. My only suggestion is to go to the lose fat and nutruition sub fourms here and read the sticky threads at the top of each of them. From your post you are confused. I'd suggest forget everything you have ever heard from your buddies or read in a magazine and read the stickies with an open mind. Not a knock on you. I had to do the same thing.

Btw what exactly is an elite athlete that cant run a sub 8 min mile
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ Don't care what you do crew.

Former natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from.

Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by iGlisten View Post
    AMAZING transformation video of the overweight to fit guy.
    It struck me too. What a man! Looks like there is no way around tightening his excess skin but to have a surgery.

Originally Posted by Jtbny View Post

LOL. #1. A hockey player. #2. 46 year old beer swillin, pasta eatin, 25 years past his elite athlete days kind of ex-athlete.

x1Dylan1x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) x1Dylan1x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) x1Dylan1x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) x1Dylan1x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) x1Dylan1x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) x1Dylan1x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) x1Dylan1x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) x1Dylan1x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) x1Dylan1x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) x1Dylan1x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) x1Dylan1x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Good luck on your goals op !!! Congrats on gettin back into it I wish you the best
    ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
    ☆ U.S ARMY ☆

Jersey crew ! 201 brah

~Injured shoulder crew~

^ Always pick 3 crew ^

☆Active Duty Crew☆

*LBM shave one leg so it feels like a woman is in bed with him*

Originally Posted by ljimd View Post
    No barbells?
    I may get back to the gym and do some weights in the last 6 weeks of the challenge. My whole life I have LOVED lifting weights... and hated doing cardio. But... cardio is what I need most right now. So thats my focus. Fat burning. Creating new habits. I don't need to get bigger. What the hell for? I am 45 years old. Overall fitness and fat loss are what I need.

Originally Posted by x1Dylan1x View Post
    Good luck on your goals op !!! Congrats on gettin back into it I wish you the best
    Thank you so much!!!! I really appreciate it.

Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Jtbny View Post
    Good luck OP. My only suggestion is to go to the lose fat and nutruition sub fourms here and read the sticky threads at the top of each of them. From your post you are confused. I'd suggest forget everything you have ever heard from your buddies or read in a magazine and read the stickies with an open mind. Not a knock on you. I had to do the same thing.

I just wanted to bump this again for you. You are really confused here. Again, I'd suggest reading those subforums and get a new perspective.
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ Don't care what you do crew.

Former natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from.