nordqut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Skinny fat guy with lots of questions...

Hi everyone -

I'm brand new here and just restarting my fitness regimens. I've achieved my initial goals and looking to take it to the next level, but I'm really lost in all the information, so I'm looking for help on picking out a new set of goals to work to.

About me:
    M, 44, 163 lb, 5'10". I say I'm a skinny fat guy because I have thin arms and legs, and a little bit of a gut - a lot less than when I started this, but a gut still. I started dieting in July 2012 at 195.

My exercise routine:
    After losing some weight I started cardio and added weights about 6 months ago and have gradually been building strength and a tiny bit of muscle mass. My weight routine has just been a total body cybex circuit 2-3 times/week, with cardio on off days.

My diet:
    I eat healthy but not obsessively so. I did Weight Watchers to get the initial weight off, and pretty much stick to that kind of mentality. Problem with that now is that it's really only about weight loss, which I don't think I need now - I want to lose fat.

That's all I can think of for background - my goal is to be more lean. I don't know my actual body fat %, but I'd estimate somewhere in the 18-20% range - my BMI is about 24. My mental issue is that I've concentrated on weight loss for so long, now that I'm at my goal weight I don't know if I have to gain weight now while lifting and then cut weight again.

So, where do I go next? Am I trying to gain weight overall, with muscle? Should I concentrate on fat loss to lose my gut? How do I go about eating and exercising to get there?
    Last edited by nordqut; 04-05-2013 at 08:07 AM.

πŸ…ΎπŸ…ΌπŸ…΄πŸ…ΆπŸ…° πŸ††πŸ…΄πŸ…°πŸ…ΏπŸ…ΎπŸ…½ EjnarKolinkar's Avatar
    EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Good thread/video about this in.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post960360693

Perhaps try one of the beginner programs on this site.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post934751743

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post946454863

I found that no amount of dieting would replace lifting weights in a surplus to build muscle. YMMV.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl