MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up Does lifting affect your job?

I'm posting this because over the last 2 days I have noticed interesting, if unsurprising, effects.

I am a police officer. Every year I do public order training, which is two intense days of physical activity (running about in body armour, helmet etc and carrying a shield, dodging missiles and being set on fire. Really fun)

The last time I did this training was almost two years ago (yes I was out of date!). This year I noticed the shield feels so much lighter and whereas before, at the end of the two days, my body would ache especially my shoulders, today I feel so ok I could still go train.

I was a little worried befptehand this year as I've really neglected cardio since I started lifting. I do a session of HIIT about a week now whereas before I was running nearly every day. But, I felt pretty fit even with all the running about and my recovery rate was good.

Anyone else find that lifting has affected their job in a positive way? Or maybe negative. I'm interested.

DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Lifting IS my job(Personal Trainer)

RubySavage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RubySavage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RubySavage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RubySavage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RubySavage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RubySavage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RubySavage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RubySavage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I work in retail, so the added fitness makes my job easier. It's easier to get large crates of clothing, easier to climb the ladders, etc, etc. Plus, when you're physically fit and you feel good, it's so much more fun to be around people all day! I get way less cranky then I did say, 6 months ago!
    We shall not cease from exploration
    And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started
    And know the place for the first time
    T. S. Eliot

DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I work in the very old male-dominated field of boating and marine supplies. I've found that the stronger I look the more respect I get from crusty old boaters.

TeayotaSoupra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TeayotaSoupra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TeayotaSoupra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TeayotaSoupra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TeayotaSoupra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TeayotaSoupra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TeayotaSoupra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TeayotaSoupra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TeayotaSoupra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TeayotaSoupra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TeayotaSoupra has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm a police officer too and I don't get to do that cool crap half of our department can't run more than a few steps let alone do all that. We have some big boys! But they are all ranking so don't do a heck of a lot.

Only thing lifting has effected me is when I'm sore and have to run after someone. Thankfully I've only had to chase someone on foot once so far. Amazing how much harder that is in boots, BDUs, bullet proof vest, and duty belt!!
    Once my knee gets fixed I may start running in a weighted vest. See if that helps.

MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by TeayotaSoupra View Post
    I'm a police officer too and I don't get to do that cool crap half of our department can't run more than a few steps let alone do all that. We have some big boys! But they are all ranking so don't do a heck of a lot.

Only thing lifting has effected me is when I'm sore and have to run after someone. Thankfully I've only had to chase someone on foot once so far. Amazing how much harder that is in boots, BDUs, bullet proof vest, and duty belt!!
    Once my knee gets fixed I may start running in a weighted vest. See if that helps.
    We don't all do it here. You have to have a decent level of fitness, and I'm constantly shocked at how unfit some are. I wouldn't want them next to me in a riot!

ktb007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktb007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktb007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktb007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktb007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktb007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktb007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktb007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktb007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktb007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktb007 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    EMT checking in!! It helps soo much. Lifting people off the floor and dragging people out of wrecked cars are so much easier now! Never want to go back!

TeayotaSoupra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TeayotaSoupra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TeayotaSoupra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TeayotaSoupra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TeayotaSoupra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TeayotaSoupra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TeayotaSoupra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TeayotaSoupra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TeayotaSoupra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TeayotaSoupra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TeayotaSoupra has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by ktb007 View Post
    EMT checking in!! It helps soo much. Lifting people off the floor and dragging people out of wrecked cars are so much easier now! Never want to go back!
    I use to do that. Never failed.. The 400lb woman with breathing problems "oh honey you're so tiny! You can't lift me!" Ok then walk to the ambulance! "Oh no I can't do that!" Fine then watch me lift you and SIT STILL!!
    But then again I worked in the fattest city in the United States! I think they are down to number two or three now though...
    I'm not sure how the over weight people do EMS. It's got to be rough.

tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I work in a deli part time, after uni.. so lifting doesn't really do much for my job.
    It does make me less likely to want to throw ham at some annoying customers though...

CitizenCL is on a distinguished road. (+10) CitizenCL is on a distinguished road. (+10) CitizenCL is on a distinguished road. (+10) CitizenCL is on a distinguished road. (+10) CitizenCL is on a distinguished road. (+10) CitizenCL is on a distinguished road. (+10) CitizenCL is on a distinguished road. (+10) CitizenCL is on a distinguished road. (+10) CitizenCL is on a distinguished road. (+10) CitizenCL is on a distinguished road. (+10) CitizenCL is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I noticed that my mood and energy levels pick up and I'm not as easily tired, but on days that I have intense lifting sessions I tucker before lunch and I lose focus at work.

Brittani95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am currently a nursing student, but also work as a health care aide during the summers. I have definitely noticed the difference lifting has made, especially when it comes to transferring and positioning patients (particularly the obese ones). It's amazing how much of a difference I have noticed, and how much less effort is needed to perform the same activities.
    "The myth that women shouldn't lift heavy is only perpetuated by women who fear work and men who fear women". - Source unknown

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit". - Aristotle

ktb007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktb007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktb007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktb007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktb007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktb007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktb007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktb007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktb007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktb007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktb007 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by TeayotaSoupra View Post
    I use to do that. Never failed.. The 400lb woman with breathing problems "oh honey you're so tiny! You can't lift me!" Ok then walk to the ambulance! "Oh no I can't do that!" Fine then watch me lift you and SIT STILL!!
    But then again I worked in the fattest city in the United States! I think they are down to number two or three now though...
    I'm not sure how the over weight people do EMS. It's got to be rough.
    Oh lord I hear that daily lol. My favorite part is when I'm able to get the big ones out and then they ask my if I work out, or say "oh my your much stronger than you look" feelssogood

WAD257 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WAD257 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WAD257 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WAD257 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WAD257 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WAD257 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WAD257 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WAD257 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WAD257 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WAD257 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WAD257 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am a lifeguard part time, and I have definitely noticed the effects. We have to re-certify our awards every two years, and have 7 physical standards to show in the pool. Last time I did it was just before I started lifting, and it was hard. Taking the brick off the bottom of the deep end almost drown me! Now it's easy peasy for me (and I'm still just starting to get strong)!

It's so much easier to carry and move victims (kinda like the EMT's said), and I think it does bring on some more respect from coworkers and patrons. I also teach Aquatic Fitness, so being toned definitely makes people listen to me a little more and ask for help!

MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50) MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50) MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50) MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50) MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50) MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50) MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50) MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50) MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50) MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50) MelnCrash will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The only thing i have noticed at work is that i now spring out of my office chair rather than have to push myself up with my hands off the desk. Oh and my butt takes up less space on my chair :P

I wish i had an active job. I get jumpy during my desk job. Luckily i have a work gym 30 metres from me so i'll go throw some weights around if i'm feeling edgy.
    ♫♪♫♪ Down and out with my dumb friends, ready to misbehave ♫♪♫♪
    Forget about Monday to Friday, 'cause I've been working like a slave
    Creepin' towards the weekend, ready and able to shine
    Bringing me down to the deep end, back off, back off!
    ♫♪♫♪And let me lose my mind! ♫♪♫♪

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm a stay at home mom so I guess my years of squatting has taught me how to pick up toys with great form rather than endure the back pain that most moms do

Prior to my kids, I spent almost 10 years as a 911 dispatcher. I would say the 1.5 hour gym break during every 12 hour shift definently gave me some mental and physical peace, something I sorely needed. As I'm sure most of you police officers know, most dispatchers are completely out of shape and I was happy that I could also perform the same PT tests (I did them for fun).

I'm glad to hear your vest fits better. My husband took up powerlifting a few years ago and now he doesn't fit any of his vests anymore. He blames muscle, I blame his PL 'diet'

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Job? I don't have one of those. It might interfere with my lifting.

In all seriousness, I'm a full-time student now, and studying IS my job, in a sense. I guess being stronger makes it easier to go up and down all the hills around campus. This morning I went in with two girls from one of my classes so that we could all hand in our first assignment this semester. The whole time we were walking from the car to the library they were complaining that their legs were on fire and it was so hard, whereas to me this was a light walk. Being the gentleman that I am, I laughed in their general direction.

I used to help out at a Salvos store two days a week, before I started uni. I spent a lot of time doing manual labour there. I couldn't tell a nail from a hammer, but I could move heavy stuff, and often surprised people with all the furniture I could move.
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

LaDonnaMF is a name known to all. (+5000) LaDonnaMF is a name known to all. (+5000) LaDonnaMF is a name known to all. (+5000) LaDonnaMF is a name known to all. (+5000) LaDonnaMF is a name known to all. (+5000) LaDonnaMF is a name known to all. (+5000) LaDonnaMF is a name known to all. (+5000) LaDonnaMF is a name known to all. (+5000) LaDonnaMF is a name known to all. (+5000) LaDonnaMF is a name known to all. (+5000) LaDonnaMF is a name known to all. (+5000)
    My mood is greatly improved so I feel I get along better with my coworkers. I also have a desk job so... besides mood, posture, etc... lifting hasn't really done anything for my job... but it has for my mood at it.. outlook on life! haha.

LyssieDoll88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LyssieDoll88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LyssieDoll88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LyssieDoll88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LyssieDoll88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LyssieDoll88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LyssieDoll88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LyssieDoll88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LyssieDoll88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LyssieDoll88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LyssieDoll88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Thumbs up

I manage a hotel and t has become so much easier to run around, help with banquet tables and assist guests with their luggage. PLUS i feel more confident...stand a little straighter, talk with more confidence and landed a huge promotion last week. Lifting has made my life and my job amazing
    Started at 350 pounds and 65% body fat
    Natural Women's Physique Competitor
    Future Ms. Natural Olympia

Motivadian and Lifestyle Coach

*NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE*

Follow my shenanigans on Instagram: Fabulyss88

mistyfit7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mistyfit7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mistyfit7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mistyfit7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am hairdresser, I really lift anything that often at all. Just occasional boxes or products, color and developers.

I'm on my feet throughout the day, so working out has really help ease way lower back pain, leg pain and feets. It helps to work more on my upper shoulders, arms and wrists when using them 99% of the time. So resistant bands are a great work for us, but I do more than just bands.

Also added plus leg workout when pumping the chairs.

June5750 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) June5750 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) June5750 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) June5750 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) June5750 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) June5750 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Lifting affects my job very positively. My husband and I are truck drivers so we absolutely have to lift to stay healthy. Everything we do is a challenge and we find unique ways to make it work, lol. I have found that since starting to lift I have more energy and definitely have noticed an increase in my strength which is good because I am working in a mans career field. I can't imagine ever turning back. Also, have noticed we get treated with more respect from the general public. Maybe the boost in confidence.