Always and Forever Cuttin beastmode47's Avatar
    beastmode47 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) beastmode47 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) beastmode47 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) beastmode47 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) beastmode47 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) beastmode47 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) beastmode47 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) beastmode47 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) beastmode47 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) beastmode47 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) beastmode47 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

How Much Protein is Utilized for Muscle vs Fat

Something I've always been curious with. General rule of thumb is to consume 1-1.5g of protein per pound of body weight for a dedicated lifter. How much of that protein is utilized for muscle protein synthesis and how much of that is converted into fat (if one is at a Caloric maintenance or a slight deficit)?

Maybe this also has something to do with ones diet and exercise program. If it helps, I'm at a Caloric deficit, eating approximately 2400 Cal a day (maintenance is approximately 3000 Cal), consume 235g protein a day, lift 7 days a week, and do fartlek runs 3-4 times a week immediately after lifting.

I would like to think I'm pretty sculpted now but I'm still not satisfied. And I get extremely paranoid packing on fat. I just don't want any of the protein I'm taking to be converted into fat.
    LOL at these ****gs with no forearms, calves, and neck (not traps, but neck, two distinct muscles).

Team Forever-Cutting.

ShoppersRow will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShoppersRow will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShoppersRow will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShoppersRow will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShoppersRow will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShoppersRow will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShoppersRow will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShoppersRow will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShoppersRow will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShoppersRow will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShoppersRow will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by beastmode47 View Post
    Something I've always been curious with. General rule of thumb is to consume 1-1.5g of protein per pound of body weight for a dedicated lifter. How much of that protein is utilized for muscle protein synthesis and how much of that is converted into fat (if one is at a Caloric maintenance or a slight deficit)?

Maybe this also has something to do with ones diet and exercise program. If it helps, I'm at a Caloric deficit, eating approximately 2400 Cal a day (maintenance is approximately 3000 Cal), consume 235g protein a day, lift 7 days a week, and do fartlek runs 3-4 times a week immediately after lifting.

I would like to think I'm pretty sculpted now but I'm still not satisfied. And I get extremely paranoid packing on fat. I just don't want any of the protein I'm taking to be converted into fat.
    You can't put on fat while in a caloric deficit, it's as simple as that.

And you don't need even close to that much protein, go with 1g per pound of lean body mass.

SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by beastmode47 View Post
    How much of that protein is utilized for muscle protein synthesis and how much of that is converted into fat (if one is at a Caloric maintenance or a slight deficit)?
    At maintenance or a deficit? That would negate the principles of maintenance or deficit; both would mean "no surplus" ... "no accumulation".

In the case of surplus, still not really gonna happen: "Excess Protein and Fat Storage – Q&A" http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...torage-qa.html

... and ...

Originally Posted by alan aragon View Post
    Protein excess (in the net rather than proportional sense) is only a concern if your caloric surplus is agressive enough to cause fat gains too quickly. In the latter case, if your protein is through the roof, then it's an option to cut back on it in order to preserve your intakes of fat & carbs - given that the latter 2 are properly set. Remember that for the most part it's not protein in a mixed diet that gets converted to fat. An excessive amount of protein in the context of an excessive total caloric surplus can drive the other macros to be converted to body fat. Direct conversion of protein to fat is indeed possible, but the scenario in which this would happen (nearly all-protein diet in an ongoing aggressive caloric surplus) is extremely far-fetched.

Always and Forever Cuttin beastmode47's Avatar
    beastmode47 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) beastmode47 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) beastmode47 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) beastmode47 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) beastmode47 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) beastmode47 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) beastmode47 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) beastmode47 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) beastmode47 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) beastmode47 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) beastmode47 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by SkydogGinsberg View Post
    At maintenance or a deficit? That would negate the principles of maintenance or deficit; both would mean "no surplus" ... "no accumulation".

In the case of surplus, still not really gonna happen: "Excess Protein and Fat Storage – Q&A" http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...torage-qa.html

... and ...
    Thanks for all the useful information. I repped you already.
    LOL at these ****gs with no forearms, calves, and neck (not traps, but neck, two distinct muscles).

Team Forever-Cutting.

KobiDC is a name known to all. (+5000) KobiDC is a name known to all. (+5000) KobiDC is a name known to all. (+5000) KobiDC is a name known to all. (+5000) KobiDC is a name known to all. (+5000) KobiDC is a name known to all. (+5000) KobiDC is a name known to all. (+5000) KobiDC is a name known to all. (+5000) KobiDC is a name known to all. (+5000) KobiDC is a name known to all. (+5000) KobiDC is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Expanding on Skydog's post (great post incidentally) in the case of a caloric surplus - an over abundance of protein causes your body to 'burn' protein for energy; ergo, your body uses less bodyfat and glucose (carbs) to fuel itself. Similarly, if you ate LESS protein, your body fuels itself more prominently off your fat and carb stores. The process of direct conversion from protein to fat is near impossible to achieve in a normal human diet..

TLDR: Don't go over your surplus and you you won't get fat (or fatter).