Barilla92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Barilla92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Barilla92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Barilla92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Barilla92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Barilla92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Barilla92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Barilla92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Barilla92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Barilla92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Barilla92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

20 year old. Starting ac joint arthritis. Prp or physical therapy

Hey guys. So I went real heavy benching. Prob remember me from the tendonitis post. Anyway I'm 6 weeks from injury date. Went real heavy benching. Next day had shoulder inflammation and pain. Thought it was tendonitis. Gave it some time. Got better and better. Scheduled app with an ortho at the time which was 3 weeks away. Yesterday was finally the app and I felt mostly better just an occasional tingle on my clavicle. I figured I'd go to doc anyway being that I waited. Right away he saw me and recognized me as a weight lifter, took an x ray. Came back in the room and said dies this hurt? Pressed so hard on my clavicle that I flinched. It hurt. He then put up my x ray and it showed a few spots in my joint which he said is ac joint arthrits. He said I have 3 choices. Cortisone shot which I denied being that my pain is minimal. A prp shot which is 500 a piece and I need 2. I held off to do more research. Or surgery which is definitely not an option being so soon. I believe the arthritis is minimum because I can pull my arm in front of my chest without pain. I also started bsing benching just the bar with no pain. (To scared to add wait) I also started taking msm glucosamine choindriton and super cissus two weeks ago. Think it's helping. Anyway the doc was kind of a d*ck and didnt offer PT. I asked if I can lift and he said do whatever I can tolerate. So I've been doing mainly pull ups and biceps and legs. Anyway I researched and read muscular imbalances could be causing this and PT should be first route always. So I called him back and got him to give me PT which I start on 10 days. My main question is do you think this will help? Also does anybody have experience or luck with a prp shot? I don't mind shelling out a G if it means my shoulder repairing itself. The doc said supposedly it heals the cartilage with scar tissue. I read its pretty effective but I would like to hear more. Also like I said my pain is minimum and its 6 weeks out so do you think I should workout? I'm thinking about doing db bench press or bb with a smaller grip. Or should I wait more? Push ups and dips don't hurt. Like I said its just a minimum pain here and there. I've also been trying rc exercises and rear delt exercise as I feel I overdeveloped my traps and front delts. So is PT a waste? I was thinking about seeing a sports orthopedist tomorrow as a second opinion but I cancelled it since I got PT. it wasn't a long wait to the sports doc so I'm thinking if I should make the app again. My main thing is wanting to know about the prp injections. Of any lifters lifting with ac joint arthritis. I'm really sorry for a super long post but I'm just a little devastated. I honestly feel like I've put it in my mind more then my shoulder really hurts that now I'm scared to do anything. Thanks

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I've had shoulder issues in the past. I got the doc to send me to a physical therapist. It took a while, but it helped a lot. The one I went to gave me exercises to strength the rotator cuff and other exercises to help correct imbalances.

You might also look into trigger point therapy (which is something you can do yourself). I had some residual pain after physical therapy that I was able to eliminate by working on trigger points in my shoulder and back muscles.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

Barilla92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Barilla92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Barilla92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Barilla92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Barilla92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Barilla92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Barilla92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Barilla92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Barilla92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Barilla92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Barilla92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    I've had shoulder issues in the past. I got the doc to send me to a physical therapist. It took a while, but it helped a lot. The one I went to gave me exercises to strength the rotator cuff and other exercises to help correct imbalances.

You might also look into trigger point therapy (which is something you can do yourself). I had some residual pain after physical therapy that I was able to eliminate by working on trigger points in my shoulder and back muscles.
    Thank you for reading and posting. I appreciate it. And I think as far as physical therapy it's not gonna hurt to do it. It'll be informational for me in the future also. What I'm really curious is about the prp injections. I read if you do it while the injury is fairly new it works well. But I don't want to drop 1000 bucks on something that the doctor didnt give me much info about. I swear he was trying to get me in and out. Didnt get a good vibe from in. Any doc in my eyes pushing surgery as a first option I do not think is worth going to. I'm prob gonna still see the sports orthopedist this week. Maybe get a second opinion on those shots. Also read on prolotherapy(hgh) shots into the joint. Heard this works well too. Like I said pain is very minimum. (Probably more in the head) but I fear injuring a shoulder and I figure its better to repair the cartilage now and keep whatever's left safe rather then lose it all.

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I don't know anything about PRP injections. It's definitely something to ask your Sports Orthopedist about. I would ask the physical therapist about it too.

Once you find out more about it, I'd appreciate it if you'd post back here with what you learn...

Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    I don't know anything about PRP injections. It's definitely something to ask your Sports Orthopedist about. I would ask the physical therapist about it too.

Once you find out more about it, I'd appreciate it if you'd post back here with what you learn...
    That was actually my plan. I want to find out more about it also. And I will gladly let you guys know what I find out about it. As of now I just know that they take blood from your body, put it in a spinner which separates the blood cells from the platelets (platelet rich plasma. Prp) then inject the plasma and platelets directly into your joint. It's supposed to initiate your bodies natural healing process and inflame the area and start repairing it. The doc just told me it will repair the cartilage with scar tissue. Which i would assume is soft enough to not allow the homes to rub. It's not covered by insurance tho. $500 a shot. I needed two apparently. I will find out more if anybody else had it done or knows if its effective please share. What I don't get is how the doctor said that will repair the cartilage but your body won't do it if you leave it to rest. In all honesty I think the body heals itself regardless of what it is

I did a search and came across this article:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...edicine-injury

Here is a quote from the article that is relevant, I think, to your situation:

How long would patients have to try these other things before you think PRP therapy is a good option?

A good general rule would probably be at least two to three months of failing other therapies. And many people that we use PRP for, it's longer than that. It is a big out-of-pocket expense for patients. Insurance doesn't cover it. The price ranges anywhere from $500 to $2,000. I don't think it's in the patients' best interest to do it early on.

vongys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Shoulder arthritis to AC joint

My shoulder has been in pain for over 9 months, was told it is arthritis to the AC joint, have been doing PT and also had a cortisone injection but after the injection the pain came back in 4 weeks. I was advised next step is PRP Treatment, wondering if anyone else has this injury and if you had a PRP and if that worked.

ebashley777 is not very well liked. (-100) ebashley777 is not very well liked. (-100) ebashley777 is not very well liked. (-100) ebashley777 is not very well liked. (-100) ebashley777 is not very well liked. (-100) ebashley777 is not very well liked. (-100) ebashley777 is not very well liked. (-100) ebashley777 is not very well liked. (-100) ebashley777 is not very well liked. (-100) ebashley777 is not very well liked. (-100) ebashley777 is not very well liked. (-100)

AC Joint and PRP injection

It’s certainly worth looking into. PRP injected into the AC promotes the body’s natural healing process and research indicates efficacy for helping to eliminate pain after several weeks. Though costly, anyone with shoulder pain and issues who wish to remain active quickly discover the money is of no concern when it comes to finding anything that can be effective; shoulder issues are brutal.

I’m 37 and had an injection a week ago after 6 months of training modification and rehab exercises. It’s too soon to call it effective obviously, but I can impart a few other considerations. (1) check your scapular control, and specifically if you’re someone with any level of scapular dyskinesis. I’m willing to bet it’s noticeable in your movements as it is prevalent in about 70% of all shoulder injuries. Sometimes it’s a cause, sometimes it’s an effect. The body is efficient at modifying its movements to compensate for your survival, even when it works against you in the long run. AC issues borne from this fit your symptoms well. Until you fix your scapular control, nothing will help in the long run. Like walking on glass and then complaining about having cuts on your feet; doctor gives you pain meds for the cuts but you keep walking on glass like an idiot. Stop the cause and the body will heal in time, and PRP has promise to help. (2) you truly must eliminate heavy overhead loading when healing. My issue flared in March 2018 and I didn’t understand the problem so I waited it out and occasionally kept trying what caused my distal clavicle osteolysis in the first place which was freestanding handstand push-up negatives. Just as taxing if not moreso as a heavy overhead press. If the scapular wings, or tilts anteriorly with this motion, you will shred your AC eventually. So if you simply hold off and build your rotator cuff back up to properly seat the shoulder blade, you’re likely to experience improvement. If you get PRP, especially so you must stop overhead and heavy pushing work. A PRP shot is like getting your joint remodeled like a kitchen. If the workers are in there putting things where they belong, you shouldn’t be in there trying to cook as they do their work. Do all you can to let the process do it’s job whether you opt for PRP or not. These are degenerative symptoms you’re experiencing and degenerative issues are typically telling of one simple reality: something you’re doing is damaging the body faster than it can heal itself. So check your movements and recovery methods.

No matter what you do, listen to the pain. It will guide you to a solution that can last a lifetime. Anything that masks that pain or reduces inflammation is a stupid approach. So don’t pursue a corticosteroid injection. If a doctor suggests that, run away. They’re treating a single symptom for a complex joint that likely has complex motor issues, and they’re an idiot for pushing that option accordingly. Also, if you get an MRI, make sure it has contrast. An MRI of the shoulder without contrast is asinine when you consider the amount of soft tissues in this part of the body. You need to be able to see all the tendons, ligaments, labrum especially, and fluid in the glenohumeral joint. An arthrogram will be effective here.

Good luck. Injuries are our best teachers.

Revivalarc is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ebashley777 View Post
    It’s certainly worth looking into. PRP injected into the AC promotes the body’s natural healing process and research indicates efficacy for helping to eliminate pain after several weeks. Though costly, anyone with shoulder pain and issues who wish to remain active quickly discover the money is of no concern when it comes to finding anything that can be effective; shoulder issues are brutal.

I’m 37 and had an injection a week ago after 6 months of training modification and rehab exercises. It’s too soon to call it effective obviously, but I can impart a few other considerations. (1) check your scapular control, and specifically if you’re someone with any level of scapular dyskinesis. I’m willing to bet it’s noticeable in your movements as it is prevalent in about 70% of all shoulder injuries. Sometimes it’s a cause, sometimes it’s an effect. The body is efficient at modifying its movements to compensate for your survival, even when it works against you in the long run. AC issues borne from this fit your symptoms well. Until you fix your scapular control, nothing will help in the long run. Like walking on glass and then complaining about having cuts on your feet; doctor gives you pain meds for the cuts but you keep walking on glass like an idiot. Stop the cause and the body will heal in time, and PRP has promise to help. (2) you truly must eliminate heavy overhead loading when healing. My issue flared in March 2018 and I didn’t understand the problem so I waited it out and occasionally kept trying what caused my distal clavicle osteolysis in the first place which was freestanding handstand push-up negatives. Just as taxing if not moreso as a heavy overhead press. If the scapular wings, or tilts anteriorly with this motion, you will shred your AC eventually. So if you simply hold off and build your rotator cuff back up to properly seat the shoulder blade, you’re likely to experience improvement. If you get PRP, especially so you must stop overhead and heavy pushing work. A PRP shot is like getting your joint remodeled like a kitchen. If the workers are in there putting things where they belong, you shouldn’t be in there trying to cook as they do their work. Do all you can to let the process do it’s job whether you opt for PRP or not. These are degenerative symptoms you’re experiencing and degenerative issues are typically telling of one simple reality: something you’re doing is damaging the body faster than it can heal itself. So check your movements and recovery methods.

No matter what you do, listen to the pain. It will guide you to a solution that can last a lifetime. Anything that masks that pain or reduces inflammation is a stupid approach. So don’t pursue a corticosteroid injection. If a doctor suggests that, run away. They’re treating a single symptom for a complex joint that likely has complex motor issues, and they’re an idiot for pushing that option accordingly. Also, if you get an MRI, make sure it has contrast. An MRI of the shoulder without contrast is asinine when you consider the amount of soft tissues in this part of the body. You need to be able to see all the tendons, ligaments, labrum especially, and fluid in the glenohumeral joint. An arthrogram will be effective here.

Good luck. Injuries are our best teachers.
    How did the PRP treatment go after a few months? Was it worth the investment. I am looking options on my own shoulder injury. Any advice would be helpful