Thread: Overhead squat

Zmooney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Overhead squat

hey guys I have a question i have been in a gym almost everyday since i have been about 12 years old. I'm now getting ready to go play college football my school just sent me a workout program that has overhead squatting in it which i have never done before and am trying to teach myself. It seem like i cant even do it with the bar without leaning forward and coming up on my toes. I don't think its my core strength but just in case it is i have been hitting the core pretty hard. I was wondering if you guys had any advice?

JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Most likely shoulder flexability issues.

this would be a good exercise to help with that:

Link doesnt work...

google Doggcrapp HOW TO CURE SHOULDER PROBLEMS

JBisGod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JBisGod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JBisGod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JBisGod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JBisGod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JBisGod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JBisGod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JBisGod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JBisGod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JBisGod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JBisGod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It's a tough lift, but not in the same way regular back or front squats are. The difficulty is in supporting the weight overhead.

I find it hard also, but for me it's due to shoulder flexibility. If you watch people do it on YouTube, their arms go pretty far back, but the wider grip helps as well. Don't expect to use a weight anywhere near what you can back squat

kwade89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kwade89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kwade89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kwade89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kwade89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kwade89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kwade89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kwade89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kwade89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kwade89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kwade89 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    wide grip, press your arm pits forward, and lock your shoulder blades in. It really helps to start with a wooden bar with alot of reps until you feel comfortable. To me the most important thing is to keep the bar up and down in a straight line... It helps to keep your rythem and balance.

j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hold the bar like you would in a snatch overhead which makes it more stable. Generally the issue with these is hip/trunk/shoulder mobility, basically you need fairly good mobility to even have a prayer of pulling off a good deep OH squat. Check out www.mobilitywod.com and do a search for various tops, they have a youtube channel too with all kinds of good stuff.
    "When you fall into a pit, you either die or get out."

DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Use a weight light enough to allow you to stay properly upright. then start bumping the weight up gradually, while maintaining that same form.

Remember that the weight will always lean toward the center of mass. That's the middle of your whole foot. Adjust your torso position to stay upright while keeping the bar in the COM.

lefield will become famous soon enough. (+50) lefield will become famous soon enough. (+50) lefield will become famous soon enough. (+50) lefield will become famous soon enough. (+50) lefield will become famous soon enough. (+50) lefield will become famous soon enough. (+50) lefield will become famous soon enough. (+50) lefield will become famous soon enough. (+50) lefield will become famous soon enough. (+50) lefield will become famous soon enough. (+50) lefield will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    good reading, I plan on starting overhead squats soon